• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

GabrielLady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Oculus Rift

Total Posts: 216

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Anyone following Oculus Rift news from 2013 CES? It seems this is the first VR done right.
This actually seems nothing short of revolution (not just gaming- imagine what this could do for internet, medicine, etc.).
Check out a few links with first reactions:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/CES-2013-Oculus-Rift-VR-Goggles-Epic-Citadel,20561.html
http://techreport.com/news/24211/oculus-rift-is-freaking-amazing
http://ces.cnet.com/8301-34441_1-57563185/hands-on-oculus-rift-vr-headset/
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/10/rift-a-glimpse-of-gamings-future

Now imagine this being used for 3d 1st person adventure games like Myst, etc.
I’d love to see 3d version of The Dig Tongue
Amazing, especially if this is really just the beginning.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Been following it but First Person is limited, cannot imagine games like Vanquish, Demonsouls and Metalgear rising type action , speed and reflexes need that can be
only done in Thirdperson.

Even for FPS it can induce motion sickness and what not at high speeds. Its too
sensitive and hand to head movement coordination can be reckless, against current
hand to eye coordination with fixed head position.

For slow moving adventure/exploration games , this can be blessing if done right.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

nomadsoul - 21 January 2013 08:57 AM

Been following it but First Person is limited, cannot imagine games like Vanquish, Demonsouls and Metalgear rising type action , speed and reflexes need that can be

sensitive and hand to head movement coordination can be reckless, against current

For slow moving adventure/exploration games , this can be blessing if done right.

In what way does the game have to be in First Person. The idea is no different than playing games on a 3dTV, just with a dedicated no bullshit no pain hardware.

My studio has the Oculus Rift dev kit and by no means is it limited to that. FPS is in the limelight for it because it is the perfect way to complement TOTAL immersion, with Peripheral vision so you don’t see the edges of the screen, plus an acceleration to match motion. Its a perfect complement to the genre, but by no means is it the only use.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 89

Joined 2005-12-19

PM

Monolith - 21 January 2013 01:50 PM

In what way does the game have to be in First Person. The idea is no different than playing games on a 3dTV, just with a dedicated no bullshit no pain hardware.

My studio has the Oculus Rift dev kit and by no means is it limited to that. FPS is in the limelight for it because it is the perfect way to complement TOTAL immersion, with Peripheral vision so you don’t see the edges of the screen, plus an acceleration to match motion. Its a perfect complement to the genre, but by no means is it the only use.

Can you comment on your experiences with the thing? Did you get nauseous? Is it in any shape or form suitable for non-developers right now?

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

I was talking about demos reviewed in CES and by other journalists, which were mostly First person, Doom, quake, Unreal, Hawken etc.

Third person conceivable yes, like your typical Move and Kinect sales pitch, practicality? we have to wait and see, if games would come as better substitute. Also there will certainly be health problems, for longer than 4 hours sessions and everything , so the bullshit TV will payoff in the long run.

I see a divide in gamers, PC gamers will champion it, FP games will flood it, Sony will
copy the success with extension of already released headset, which they used to demo their adventure game Datura. Kinect 2 and Sony totally new unknown interface might could disrupt the whole scene.

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

nomadsoul - 21 January 2013 02:59 PM

Third person conceivable yes, like your typical Move and Kinect sales pitch, practicality? we have to wait and see, if games would come as better substitute. Also there will certainly be health problems, for longer than 4 hours sessions and everything , so the bullshit TV will payoff in the long run.

I see a divide in gamers, PC gamers will champion it, FP games will flood it, Sony will
copy the success with extension of already released headset, which they used to demo their adventure game Datura. Kinect 2 and Sony totally new unknown interface might could disrupt the whole scene.

Here’s the thing, its not like the Move and Kinect. Its no different than selling the idea of a 3DTV. You have goggles on and you play with a game controller. Simple as that. The health problems in my opinion are BS. No more health problems than wearing Glasses. Minus the discomfort of imperfect technology like polarization of 3d films and so on. Its full 1080 peripheral 3d content. With individual screens for each eye. The only problem you would get would be no different than motion sickness, which shouldn’t be anymore of an issue or damning than riding a roller coaster. Its no gimmick. Its complement gaming like a controller does for a console.

Completely agree with that last part, but the thing is, game developers are backing it. Not just money grabbers like EA, but also PC developers that matter in the industry. THe technology will no doubt pick up and work. Imagine watching movies without the issue of seeing the Frame? Movies with peripheral vision. Its unheard of and its myself and the industries duty to expose gamers and the audience to what is possible. 3DTVs are no different than the old 3d film technology. Oculus Rift literally bridges the gap between the old technology and real virtual reality.

kuze - 21 January 2013 02:15 PM

Can you comment on your experiences with the thing? Did you get nauseous? Is it in any shape or form suitable for non-developers right now?

I haven’t gotten nauseous but the fact that the goggles take up your whole peripheral vision, you begin to lose a frame of reference that you are just wearing glasses/goggles. I prefer to be sitting but once games properly use the accelerometer, then your body will begin to get use to the movement and react as it should when you move your head. Honestly, I’d prefer first person games with this as it reacts better to your head movements than a static third person camera.

Honestly, I find it rude for someone to compare this technology to the flaws of 3DTVs. It is the virtual reality we have been waiting for. It doesn’t create a window to another world. It literally recreates your perspective of the world.

If people had any respect for progress, Oculus Rift is deserving of getting a bit of that too. Check out how many dev kits were sent out. Respectable developers are backing the product. Not some rich white mofos trying to cash in.

Total Posts: 216

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Thanks for some more info Monolith. Sounds great!

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Monolith - 21 January 2013 03:48 PM

Here’s the thing, its not like the Move and Kinect. Its no different than selling the idea of a 3DTV. You have goggles on and you play with a game controller. Simple as that. The health problems in my opinion are BS. No more health problems than wearing Glasses. Minus the discomfort of imperfect technology like polarization of 3d films and so on. Its full 1080 peripheral 3d content. With individual screens for each eye. The only problem you would get would be no different than motion sickness, which shouldn’t be anymore of an issue or damning than riding a roller coaster. Its no gimmick. Its complement gaming like a controller does for a console.

Completely agree with that last part, but the thing is, game developers are backing it. Not just money grabbers like EA, but also PC developers that matter in the industry. THe technology will no doubt pick up and work. Imagine watching movies without the issue of seeing the Frame? Movies with peripheral vision. Its unheard of and its myself and the industries duty to expose gamers and the audience to what is possible. 3DTVs are no different than the old 3d film technology. Oculus Rift literally bridges the gap between the old technology and real virtual reality.

I haven’t gotten nauseous but the fact that the goggles take up your whole peripheral vision, you begin to lose a frame of reference that you are just wearing glasses/goggles. I prefer to be sitting but once games properly use the accelerometer, then your body will begin to get use to the movement and react as it should when you move your head. Honestly, I’d prefer first person games with this as it reacts better to your head movements than a static third person camera.

Honestly, I find it rude for someone to compare this technology to the flaws of 3DTVs. It is the virtual reality we have been waiting for. It doesn’t create a window to another world. It literally recreates your perspective of the world.

If people had any respect for progress, Oculus Rift is deserving of getting a bit of that too. Check out how many dev kits were sent out. Respectable developers are backing the product. Not some rich white mofos trying to cash in.

Since you have kit, give me vague idea about its consumer model launch, and how many new IPs will be there specially for this, besides ports like Doom, minecraft and Valve games. I am hearing that it would take more than year from now.

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

nomadsoul - 22 January 2013 02:25 AM

Since you have kit, give me vague idea about its consumer model launch, and how many new IPs will be there specially for this, besides ports like Doom, minecraft and Valve games. I am hearing that it would take more than year from now.

I am only a dev not the creator of the Oculus Rift. Any developer can purchase the dev kit for only $300. This means that the device has potential for use in a wide range of game IPs. From indies to AAA.

In short, I only know what we’re doing as developers, but I can’t clarify what other people are doing. You’re asking the wrong guy. Its like asking Valve what another game company is doing.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Monolith - 22 January 2013 03:19 PM
nomadsoul - 22 January 2013 02:25 AM

I am only a dev not the creator of the Oculus Rift. Any developer can purchase the dev kit for only $300. This means that the device has potential for use in a wide range of game IPs. From indies to AAA.

In short, I only know what we’re doing as developers, but I can’t clarify what other people are doing. You’re asking the wrong guy. Its like asking Valve what another game company is doing.

I’m getting sick trying to read all these nested quotes. LOL

I would love to try one of those Oculus Rift devices. I have a thing for VR and think it is the way forward. True immersion into a virtual world where the line between reality and the real world is blurry.

The system looks great and is a true step forward, the first step in what will become a growing market. I don’t think the tech is quite there yet, certainly not for mass market. However I see Microsoft or Sony doing a VR console for the PS5 or XBOX 1080. I.E Not this generation but the next generation.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Lucien21 - 22 January 2013 04:23 PM

I’m getting sick trying to read all these nested quotes. LOL

QFT

Lucien21 - 22 January 2013 04:23 PM

I have a thing for VR and think it is the way forward. True immersion into a virtual world where the line between reality and the real world is blurry.

There are a few good movies about the dangers of this. Wink

Anyway, I agree that this is the first big step towards VR, and I also believe that VR is the future. I’d put a longer time frame on it, though. We may be close to seeing this mass produced, but I think we’re not THAT close yet…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I think a big step would be the new consoles supporting this technology

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

wilco - 22 January 2013 07:16 PM

I think a big step would be the new consoles supporting this technology

That would be great, sadly companies like Sony and Nintendo wouldn’t incoporate 3rd Party technology into their system. They would either (Sadly) steal the tech and make it their own or just won’t support it at all. I can see Microsoft supporting it on the new xbox and windows 8 systems. Maybe even fund it. Who knows, I’d like to see it happen. Its a lot cheaper than getting a large 3dtv and by no means ruins the quality of the video with Passive 3D.

TimovieMan - 22 January 2013 06:05 PM

QFT

There are a few good movies about the dangers of this. Wink

Anyway, I agree that this is the first big step towards VR, and I also believe that VR is the future. I’d put a longer time frame on it, though. We may be close to seeing this mass produced, but I think we’re not THAT close yet…

No More NESTING! POLITICAL STRIFE! I kid.

After playing DMC and experiencing the CCTV boss level, I say Lawnmower Man deserves a second go with gaming, more specifically as a Oculus Rift Exclusive. lol Man I wish i can by the license just to make that a reality. Sadly, we are swamped with work for mobile devices. -_-

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Monolith - 23 January 2013 02:20 PM

I say Lawnmower Man deserves a second go with gaming, more specifically as a Oculus Rift Exclusive. lol Man I wish i can by the license just to make that a reality.

Stephen King has been known to sell licenses to his work for only 1$, so if your pitch is good enough, or you can impress him in any way… Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Monolith - 23 January 2013 02:20 PM

That would be great, sadly companies like Sony and Nintendo wouldn’t incoporate 3rd Party technology into their system.

Their consoles are virtually entirely built from 3rd party tech. the PS3 has a processer built by Toshiba and IBM, an NVIDEA grahics chip, etc.

I wouldn’t expect to this it in the upcoming generation, but Sony has their own headgear device which maybe they could reconfigure into an Oculus type device.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Lucien21 - 23 January 2013 04:14 PM

Their consoles are virtually entirely built from 3rd party tech. the PS3 has a processer built by Toshiba and IBM, an NVIDEA grahics chip, etc.

I wouldn’t expect to this it in the upcoming generation, but Sony has their own headgear device which maybe they could reconfigure into an Oculus type device.

The funny thing is that innovation and risk comes from the 3rd party tech. Especially when Oculus Rift is getting so much attention and input from developers (both big name and independent) and not a closed circle of friends in an exclusive society. haha Its nice to not have to spend a couple of grand just to get a slice of cake that in reality will only work if the industry accepts it as a whole, else it’ll just become a PS Vita or Kinect.

TimovieMan - 23 January 2013 03:03 PM

Stephen King has been known to sell licenses to his work for only 1$, so if your pitch is good enough, or you can impress him in any way… Wink

hahaha, so true. Hell, maybe we can turn a shit downtrodden story of his into something worthwhile. Hell, I prefer spending a little money over picking up some free public domain material.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top