• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieKeybordzzobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game have you just finished?

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

McCoy97 - 24 June 2019 01:19 AM

Was expecting something much longer/meatier like Ragnar’s previous games.

It’s quite different from Ragnar’s previous games.

Is this supposed to be an episodic game with future episodes or was that it with nothing else planned?

It’s not episodic. But at the end of the game you are told the protagonist and Lissie will return.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

I played and finished Return of the Obra Dinn last week.

I had a good feeling about it, even though I had only seen a few screenshots and didn’t know anything about the gameplay or story, and man did it live up to my expectations.
To make it short, it’s everything I want in an adventure game, incredibly immersive with totally satisfying gameplay mechanics. I’d add more, more, but I feel like the less one knows about the game going in, the more one will enjoy the experience.

Straight to my list of the best modern AGs, along with the Witness and the Talos Principle, with Edith Finch and the Cat Lady right behind.

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

After posting this I browsed the site a bit and realised I have also finished Far Sails not long ago.

It was a nice game, a kind of cuter version of Inside, but it’s quite telling that I didn’t even remember playing if after two weeks…
Of course the fact that I played Obra Dinn a few days later didn’t help.
And by the way I have a few other AGs on the back burner (Whisper of a machine, among others), but I can’t help but feeling that they will also pale in comparison… Oh well, one can always hope.
Smile

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Ninth - 24 June 2019 05:39 AM

I played and finished Return of the Obra Dinn last week.

I had a good feeling about it, even though I had only seen a few screenshots and didn’t know anything about the gameplay or story, and man did it live up to my expectations.

Yes. Cool
And Lucas Pope did everything himself, even the music. Good voiceacting too by native speakers.

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

I took advantage of a GOG sale to buy Spycraft (which I already owned on CDs), and replayed it last month.

For those who don’t know it, it’s a FMV game in which you play the role of an american spy sent to Russia to investigate the murder of a politician, and includes a bunch of mini-games, some of which require a very small amount of reflexes (maybe they can even be skipped, I’m not sure), others about cross-referencing the moves of suspects, decoding messages, etc.

I still like it a lot (finished it three times over the years), and in my opinion it’s one of the hidden gem in the adventure genre, one that’s well worth trying out for every AG fan (depending on one’s tolerance for short and easy action sequences, that is), considering how little it costs nowadays.

Total Posts: 100

Joined 2009-02-07

PM

I just played Beneath a Steel Sky. Perfection. Not only the execution was great in all departments (graphics, audio, voice acting) for the era it was made, but it was also perfect in terms of puzzle design. No non-sense puzzles, no extremely simplistic puzzles but also no unnecessarily hard puzzles and most were not even similar to each other.
This is almost the most underrated classic point and click adventure game I’ve ever played because while it has good reputation already it’s definitely better in puzzle design than the majority of Sierra and Lucas games.
10/10 for the era.

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

thinker - 13 July 2019 08:57 PM

I just played Beneath a Steel Sky. Perfection. Not only the execution was great in all departments (graphics, audio, voice acting) for the era it was made, but it was also perfect in terms of puzzle design. No non-sense puzzles, no extremely simplistic puzzles but also no unnecessarily hard puzzles and most were not even similar to each other.
This is almost the most underrated classic point and click adventure game I’ve ever played because while it has good reputation already it’s definitely better in puzzle design than the majority of Sierra and Lucas games.
10/10 for the era.

Twenty years on I still haven’t quite forgiven it for a nasty little bit of pixel hunting right near the end, but the fact that that stood out so much reinforces what a fantastic game it was otherwise!

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I just finished Return of the Obra Dinn and it deserves all the credit in the world.
My words wouldn’t do justice to this game, so I won’t say anything else - just play it (if you’re a lucky bastard who hasn’t played it) and see for yourself.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

I feel like I’m the only one here who didn’t particularly enjoy Obra Dinn that much. Loved the graphics and the game was interesting at first but it quickly became too boring and repetitive for my liking after identifying a few people. I guess I just don’t have the patience for the game.

The game was interesting enough for me to want to play Lucas Pope’s next game though

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

I thought that mechanically, in terms of gameplay and inventiveness of it all, it was indeed genius. The only area that I felt was lacking in any aspect was the story itself, which wasn’t all that exceptional. But it also says a lot that Lucas Pope was able to turn a fairly ordinary sea adventure into such a highly memorable experience.

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Luhr28 - 16 July 2019 03:19 AM

The only area that I felt was lacking in any aspect was the story itself, which wasn’t all that exceptional. But it also says a lot that Lucas Pope was able to turn a fairly ordinary sea adventure into such a highly memorable experience.

The story itself may not be original, but the way you live it through the lives of dozens of people which you learn to know almost personnally little detail after little detail, and the way it immerses you into their ordeal is just incredible. The word “drama” comes to mind.

Seeing an avatar based on the game is enough to give me the chills. Smile

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Ninth - 16 July 2019 05:35 AM
Luhr28 - 16 July 2019 03:19 AM

The only area that I felt was lacking in any aspect was the story itself, which wasn’t all that exceptional. But it also says a lot that Lucas Pope was able to turn a fairly ordinary sea adventure into such a highly memorable experience.

The story itself may not be original,

Okay, I’ll bite. Please tell me about all the ordinary, non-original stories about killer mermaids with magical shells who try to get a stolen shell back and call other seamonsters to help them when they are stunned by a magical chest and imprisoned.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

There’s a whole genre of magical pirate fantasy now, which is apparently pretty big. But what I meant was that it’s basically a tale of greed and revenge which descends into the greedy parties getting punished, which is then resolved by one character’s selfless acts. With almost everyone dying, it’s a classic tragedy.

There are plenty of stories based on that plot in various forms, including no doubt a nautical setting. And the way it’s told in Obra Dinn and the intricacy of it all is great.

But if the game revealed more about human nature or anything else to you, Karlok, I’d love to know more. Because I have never seen that discussed about the game, only the story details and not its meaning.

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Karlok - 16 July 2019 05:56 AM

Okay, I’ll bite. Please tell me about all the ordinary, non-original stories about killer mermaids with magical shells who try to get a stolen shell back and call other seamonsters to help them when they are stunned by a magical chest and imprisoned.

Most of these ingredients can be found in the Odyssey as well as the genre Luhr mentions.
But then, most stories aren’t original, what matters is how they’re told, which is what Obra Dinn does in what I felt was an extraordinary way, with what I can only describe as humanity oozing from every scene and every sound.
In this aspect it reminded me of Edith Finch (and ot a lesser extent of The Cat Lady), though Obra Dinn also has an fun, unique and immersive gameplay which gives it a whole new level.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

deleted

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top