• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Indie Games Thread

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

nomadsoul - 25 June 2017 02:41 AM

Wait wut?

NMS was released in the year of UC4,Ratchet, Lastguardian, no AAA exclusives

Remember that the game was announced way back, and it got delayed several times.

No we all thought it had potential

Did you not see all the videos, and the questions people kept asking. Where’s the gameplay? And they just kept showing same demo, going from ship and flying through the sky, and trillions of planets. But Sony kept pushing and pushing. Their hype machine set the expectations to astronomical levels and it all came crashing.

its far from clusterfuck like Andromeda

No it’s not, it actually is worse than Andromeda as a game.

If you think average Sony consumer or just consumer who bought Sony console for the first time worries about these, then you are wrong.
Indies are just good way to pass time but not all are system sellers

Why do you keep dissing indies? I have fun with some of these games WAY more than most of the AAA derivative crap out there. And maybe there is a portion of the population who doesn’t care about indies, but I believe there is a portion who loves them, including myself. Just see how popular Rocket League is for example, and that was an indie exclusive on Sony’s platform. I played it in Sony’s E3 booth, and look how much it has exploded. Now Nintendo is fighting to get it on their platform.
Minecraft was developed by 1 person, and he sold the company for 1.5 billion dollars. To put this in perspective, Bioware/Pandemic cost 860 million.
PlayerUnknown’s Battleground shows up as a global seller on Steam sales, even above GTA 5.

How many of here reviewed Shadow of the beast? or Oddworld?
We play DoT here, but out there it performs worse than NMS
So we dont need Schafer on Sony stage technically but he appeared nonethless , quite few number of times , that was same Sony

That’s the beauty of indies, they give you diversity. You can play DOTT, or Oddworld, or something like Resogun, and you have a choice.

So 60 million consoles are sold because of indies , well not sure if serious

Not solely because of indies, but I’m sure indies helped to increase the number. They kept the flow of games coming when there was a severe drought. Also, they gave Sony a very positive image in the mind of devs and fans, because their mantra was “Sony Loves Indies”.

And lets not forget amazing Below which i was streaming yesterday on big screen, 2016 footage saying summer confirmed release

So a game gets announced and it doesn’t come out or it gets cancelled, what’s the big deal? This happens all the time with AAA games, so why is it bad if it happens with indies?

Well you know i answered him saying candycrush , farmville and iOS shovelware, Wii shovelware, MMOs also do something right

My wife plays solely candycrush and LOVES it. I tried to get her to play AG’s, console games, but she hates them, so what’s the problem with that? Why can’t a game exist that is not targetted to you. MMO’s are awesome, and I lost many hours of my life playing WOW. One of the best games ever made in my opinion.

Minecon , so much Minecraft fans, they are also doing something right

Again lots of kids love Minecraft, what’s wrong with that? It is such a brilliant game mechanic that both indies and AAA’s are taking cues from it. Games like Terraria, Steamworld Dig, and Dragon Quest Builders.

You should buy and play Yakuza0, first and foremost appreciate wats on Sony plate rating higher than competition than Indies that you can find elsewhere Smile

I am really not into the Yakuza series. I tried to play one of them before (Yakuza 4) I believe, and couldn’t get into it.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

SoccerDude28 - 25 June 2017 05:31 PM

But Sony kept pushing and pushing. Their hype machine set the expectations to astronomical levels and it all came crashing

Sony wasnt handling Sean Murray nor his appearance on sites and TV shows
He was overpromising if anything
Considering JoeDanger was hit on PS3, he got a freehand by sony and believed in him still
it delivered more sales than Halowars2 or atleast released faster tan Below for its ambitious design

No it’s not, it actually is worse than Andromeda as a game

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/no-mans-sky
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/mass-effect-andromeda

NMS was reviewed by more critics, also new IP and indie title at same level of MEA juggernaut by EA, yeah right you win

AAA derivative crap out there

Majority of indies are SNES/Arcade era recycled into HD too
All Gamedesigns or KS pitches are rife with MetroidVania, Megaman or Zelda and Souls
Even behind surface of Cuphead there is Contra/Treasure derivative
Top down shooters, side scrollers

Just see how popular Rocket League is for example, and that was an indie exclusive on Sony’s platform

Yet you got interested in Switch for not indies but Mario and Zelda
You know how scarce ninty is on indie but you will buy a console for Main games not indie

Minecraft

A game on tablet too, you dont need console for that

Why do you keep dissing indies?

My diss should not bother your enjoyment, same issue wilco was having
Its strictly my opinion and i think Indies are not a same novelty as they were before
Atleast not all, there are selective and i still can find plenty of Arcade MAME games if i have to play some lookalike pixel makeovers todays, not counting new efforts
Market is way over saturated and full of shovelware

I made indie thread here, of all people out of excitement why would i hate them?
It just more quantity over quality nowadays, diminishing returns

Rocket League is for example, and that was an indie exclusive on Sony’s platform

I was in beta, no one was giving shit about it, it was like any other indie game like Killstrain, it might have got exposure thanks to free beta and already built in installed base of millions, might have been lost without exposure…again same point
You could never guess the trajectory of success and adoption rate
In gaming many times, sales has less to do with quality or ratings

So a game gets announced and it doesn’t come out or it gets cancelled

That was ans to why Sony didnt show Indies, you said look at MS and i said well MS indie wild cards were all delayed and tbh indies should not be for E3, should go to gamescom or other shows

My wife plays solely candycrush and LOVES it. I lost many hours of my life playing WOW. One of the best games ever made in my opinion,Why can’t a game exist that is not targeted to you?

This reminds me of Shia lebouf interview

BD: What’s wrong with the Wii?

SL: This is how in a simple way you can find out if it’s a gamer you want to play with. Ask them if they have a Wii. If they say yes, get the f*** out of there.

Smile

So if you accept diversity of consumer base in gaming then accept diversity and independence of thought too
Its my opinion

And dont worry i have plenty of cousins who i diss for playing fifa,asscreed and Mcraft
and they diss me for playing japanese games call me otaku

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

nomadsoul - 25 June 2017 08:26 PM

Sony wasnt handling Sean Murray nor his appearance on sites and TV shows

So are you telling me, if Sony did not hype the crap out of that game, it would have gotten the same coverage on sites? Does any indie not supported by Microsoft or Sony get that much coverage? 

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/no-mans-sky
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/mass-effect-andromeda

Ok, they are equally bad. You win Tongue

Majority of indies are SNES/Arcade era recycled into HD too
All Gamedesigns or KS pitches are rife with MetroidVania, Megaman or Zelda and Souls
Even behind surface of Cuphead there is Contra/Treasure derivative
Top down shooters, side scrollers

And from before

You know i realized one thing, gaming is pretty much dead except Miyazaki
Everything now is old becoming new or nostalgia
Best games were all sequels to old titles or extension of last 3 gens

Funny how you were complaining about sequels or extensions, and now AAA are innovative? It is the indie devs taking the risks, and not spewing out Assassin’s Creed 15 or Final Fantasy 20. Which other game out there plays like The Witness? Or is a soccer game with cars? Or has the amazing atmosphere and platforming of Ori or Limbo? Even No Man’s Sky, as much as the game sucked and I am giving it crap, the guy at least was trying something new.

And what’s wrong with Metroidvania?
Shadow Complex, Dust: An Elysian Tail, Ori, Axiom Verge, all Metroidvania, and all amazing games. Even AAA games like Tomb Raider and Darksiders borrow Metroidvania design.

You were just hyping Nex Machina and Housemarque a few days back, and yet you have problems with top-down shooters and side scrollers?

You are contradicting yourself.

Yet you got interested in Switch for not indies but Mario and Zelda

Why do I have to like indies and not AAA? Why can’t I like both. And I have played Rocket League (on the PS4 actually), so it’s obviously for Nintendo fans who don’t have another console or prefer to game on the Switch.

Minecraft
A game on tablet too, you dont need console for that

And yet Microsoft sees lots of people playing it on their console. What’s your point?Can’t a game exist on console and tablets?

I made indie thread here, of all people out of excitement why would i hate them?
It just more quantity over quality nowadays, diminishing returns

There are tons of high quality indie games. A person just needs to do their research of which one is good, which I’m sure you do just like me. The thing is, if you want to impose certain “quality” criteria on digital stores, what do you do? Do you hire people to do it? Well people are subjective and biased, and if I hired you for example, you would not greenlight Minecraft and you would have missed out on a multi-billion dollar game. That was Adam Boye’s point when he said he passed on Dear Esther. Ironically, Sony funded Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture, the stuido’s second game Smile

I was in beta, no one was giving shit about it.

The game is one of the most successful indies out there, so I don’t know what you are talking about.

indies should not be for E3, should go to gamescom or other shows

But a fishing game should?
Cuphead, Ori 2 and Last Night are some of the best games shown at E3 this year. Even better than some AAA titles that have much bigger budgets. They deserve their time in the limelight just like other AAA games do. Also look at this:
https://www.twitch.tv/directory
Playerunknown’s Battleground is one of the most streamed game on twitch. MS knows what they were doing by associating it with their console.

accept diversity and independence of thought too
Its my opinion

Huh? Not sure I understand what you mean.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

SoccerDude28 - 26 June 2017 01:59 AM

Does any indie not supported by Microsoft or Sony get that much coverage?  Does any indie not supported by Microsoft or Sony get that much coverage?

NMS wasnt xclusive , it was brought on stage later after first keelay premiere and its mega buster response on gaf n shit
Yes , it can get alot of coverage , any random shit thing can get sales random way

http://steamspy.com/app/4000

Funny how you were complaining about sequels or extensions, and now AAA are innovative?

In general yes i believe Gaming as a whole is hardly creative
I also keep saying i am jaded by having enough of same
Considering only Ew2 and Wlf2 standing out in crowd it pretty much shows even AAAs are same shit, but even FPS like Wolf is like we will be playing 10 yrs from now too
Conferences like E3 though are for spectacle and graphics and AAA games

It is the indie devs taking the risks

Nier beats any shit in creativity
And GR2, TLG, HZD all are great innovations
You cannot easily sell a 47 million game where a lady hunts Robots with Bow based monster hunter mechanic

Thats what i think and yes there is a reason why same AAA is 60$ and your indie wont be
Same reason why Witness is 40$, which raised some questions
Derivatives are there in AAAs but still recently Indies were worse and short forgetable experiences , atleast for me, i cannot comment about somebody burning 50hrs in Minecraft or Rleague instead of NierAutomata or HZD

not spewing out Assassin’s Creed 15 or Final Fantasy 20

Agree assO sucks so did Ff15 which was QTE fest questionable JRPG and JRPG is dying breed and yes we should get back to it like another creative AAA JRPG on PS4 Ninokuni2 Tongue

Which other game out there plays like The Witness? Or is a soccer game with cars?

Finish Nier,GR2,Persona5 and side quests/minigames of Yakuza0 first

the guy at least was trying something new.

Yes Indie has more flexibility due to independence but saviors they are not

And what’s wrong with Metroidvania? ,You are contradicting yourself.

Was Ans to your derivative comment, Indies are SNES era complex, you are treating them as full of new ideas, all ideas are within the constraints of SNES/Genesis gamedesign
So its not any better than AAA if not same
Inside is polished Anotherworld too

Cuphead, Ori 2 and Last Night are some of the best games shown at E3 this year. Even better than some AAA titles that have much bigger budgets.

Yet you chose AAAs as best 5:1

My favorite games of the show: Spiderman, God of War, Ori 2, Far Cry 5, new Mario, and Wolfenstein.

So by your admission i win this argument Smile

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

nomadsoul - 26 June 2017 02:39 AM

Sure you win. I’m out

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

SoccerDude28 - 26 June 2017 03:21 AM
nomadsoul - 26 June 2017 02:39 AM

Sure you win. I’m out

run run

Smile

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Somerville

Rumors were true, Inside team is disbanded, Dino is making his own game
Looking promising af

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

nomadsoul - 27 June 2017 02:30 PM

Somerville

Rumors were true, Inside team is disbanded, Dino is making his own game
Looking promising af

Playdead studio did not get disbanded, did it? Only Dino left, but the company is still there from what I can tell.

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

nomadsoul - 21 June 2017 06:28 PM

Adam didnt do much except Lucas AGs which are flop and DoA
Shahid was the main guy

I didn’t even know this.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-11-09-shahid-ahmad-leaving-sony-after-10-years

Oh and Santa Monica indie publishing is dead.

Tell me Sony still cares about indies?

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

SoccerDude28 - 27 June 2017 03:05 PM

Playdead studio did not get disbanded, did it? Only Dino left, but the company is still there from what I can tell

Playdead was mainly 2 people, Arnt and Dino, they hired other staff but it was their show
Dino is out now Arnt is running PD show

Oh and Santa Monica indie publishing is dead

Rapture was sour experience and was forced to be made on PC
But they have VR game in works

Tell me Sony still cares about indies?

There you go again
btw
Have you played top rated Matterfall and Finch on PS4 yet
Lets see if MS or Ninty indies can beat their MC for this year for Indie reportcard

I didn’t even know this

http://www.retornoanime.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/SAsad.png

This was the guy who brought Catherine and changed entire wordlview of Demonssouls when i was among some of the only community memebrs supporting the game(asian version)
Whole gaming was hating DS, all journos and then he turned it around with Death/Hard marketing hook and released it in US
He was in Atlus now in Sony, hopefully he gets Indie and other deals on the table

If it wasnt for us and him, oblivious Indie Devs and Zelda would not be copying Souls

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

nomadsoul - 28 June 2017 01:11 AM

Rapture was sour experience and was forced to be made on PC
But they have VR game in works

There you go again
btw
Have you played top rated Matterfall and Finch on PS4 yet
Lets see if MS or Ninty indies can beat their MC for this year for Indie reportcard

All these games were worked on when Sony was still supporting indies. Also Pyre coming out next month. Going forward though, MS has Cuphead, Last Night, Ashen and Ori 2 in the pipeline. What are Sony’s upcoming exclusive indies? 

This was the guy who brought Catherine and changed entire wordlview of Demonssouls when i was among some of the only community memebrs supporting the game(asian version)
Whole gaming was hating DS, all journos and then he turned it around with Death/Hard marketing hook and released it in US
He was in Atlus now in Sony, hopefully he gets Indie and other deals on the table

If it wasnt for us and him, oblivious Indie Devs and Zelda would not be copying Souls

You are going offtopic. We are talking how Sony has dropped indie support. You cited Shahid as being the man responsible for Sony indie revolution and he quit. Also I was reading that lots of other Sony employees who were passionate about indies have moved to Annapurna, which publishes Edith Finch, The artful escape, and Ashen.

Edit:
A quote from indie dev at indiecade in E 3
“Our contacts at Sony are not as reliable as those at Microsoft, to be honest,” says Roy van der Schilden, business director of indie studio Wispfire. He was showing off Herald at the E3 IndieCade booth. “I don’t know them as well, they’re less engaged with what’s going on here at IndieCade—I’ve seen the Xbox people all over here all the time. I see, definitely, a difference”

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Some early Sommerville juice, its action/adv sci fi platformer ( Anotherworld Flashback)

Now this is an indie Sony could shop

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Another indie Sony dropped support for. Are we seeing a trend?

http://gematsu.com/2016/10/wattam-coming-multiple-platforms-likely-launches-late-2017

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

All these games were worked on when Sony was still supporting indies. Also Pyre coming out next month. Going forward though, MS has Cuphead, Last Night, Ashen and Ori 2 in the pipeline. What are Sony’s upcoming exclusive indies?

Lost Soul aside, WiLD, Valfaris,Sundered,Vane, Hellblade,Lawbreakers, Matterfall, HiddenAgenda,Dr3,428 Shibuya Scramble , VR games,Battle Chasers, TGC etc off the top of my head

But you have already decided Sony has abandoned Indies/AAs and conveniently ignoring whats released and future tradeshows..i mean do you think Sony will show same AAA e3 games on PSX?
MS gets one show each year, only one and out of that shits gets cancelled like Scalebound
Delayed and vaporware like below
And Delayed like anything for 3 years like cuphead and ashen was showed again

Sony is performing much better than competition both in releases and diversity and ratings..period and its a fact

Then there is Japanese games support, which is huge factor for me and many others

Any indie like Pyre and Rami(Nuc Throne) will release indies on PS4 on ps4 first, they cannot loose that 60 million market for supporting M$ unless MS can compensate somehow
Same reason why TR landed on Sony
And after behemoths gow and spidey, ps4 will sell and hit 70million plus

We are talking how Sony has dropped indie support. You cited Shahid as being the man responsible for Sony indie revolution and he quit.

No i am on topic, i mentioned Asad because he was at PSX with Gio showing games they are shipping for including old,remaster and indies etc
My point was like shahid was unknown to you, asad and other guys are at sony doing their thing including shopping for future lineup and they are damn qualified unknown to you and others, just because some one is vocal and present on media doesnt mean shit

Not to mention marketing is changing and PC having its own show , will show indies there stealing MS/Sony spotlight, still as i said Sony has won this console cycle and will sell even more till tlou2 with even more pricedrops, and any sensible indie will not release on PS4 family on their own loss…so like Pyre and vlambeer they will prefer PS4

I think that Sony is still the biggest game in town. You want to be on a platform that has the most eyeballs on it. Our experience with Microsoft has sort of been the opposite of Sony and sort of what you’re describing. They may be a little more out there, but for a developer like us, where maybe our game is a little bit too small or niche for them to care too much about it behind the scenes. So there wasn’t the interest there

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2017/06/25/dev-talks-ps4-indie-games-support/

You should attend PSX this year and play some indies like this and grill Sony Devs for abandoning Indies

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

nomadsoul - 28 June 2017 03:13 AM

Lost Soul aside, WiLD, Valfaris,Sundered,Vane, Hellblade,Lawbreakers, Matterfall, HiddenAgenda,Dr3,428 Shibuya Scramble , VR games,Battle Chasers, TGC etc off the top of my head

Again lots of these games have been announced a while back, all thanks to the work of Shahid and Adam (by the way I know who Shahid is. Just didn’t know he quit). Also remember the Devlover digital deal that got you Hotline Miami 1&2? The Talos Principle? That was Boyes.

In the case of Lawbreakers, I saw the interview with Cliffy, and he has the game on PS4 only because the market share is bigger, not because they went out of their way to accommodate him. Is Sony still going to get indies because they are the biggest platform right now? Sure. Are they actively putting indie exclusives on their platform? not anymore.

I am giving you proof that Sony is abandoning ACTIVE indie support (at least for now). Jim Ryan quote, dropping Edith, Wattam and Rime, not showing indies at E3, not having any on the showfloor when 2 years ago they had half of the showfloor, shutting down Santa Monica publishing, Shahid and Adam Boyes and a slew of passionate indie-supporter Sony employees quitting, and you still tell me they care? Lot of indie devs might still put indies on the platform sure just because it has the biggest install base, but that doesn’t mean they are supporting it.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2017/06/25/dev-talks-ps4-indie-games-support/

Funny how that same game you mentioned was only shown in indiecade. 2 years ago, that would have been in the Sony booth.
Just look at this:
https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/24/sony-xbox-devolver-indie-games-ps4-publishing-e3/

“There was a specific person at Sony who’s not at Sony anymore, but I know for a fact that he cared so deeply and passionately about [indie games],” Ben Ruiz, the creator of Aztez, says. “And he was this big mover and shaker, and I think when he finally moved on he took a lot of the passion with him. “

You should attend PSX this year and play some indies like this and grill Sony Devs for abandoning Indies

I have attended PSX physically every single year, so I know what’s what.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top