• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Indie Games Thread

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

nomadsoul - 20 June 2017 08:30 AM
SoccerDude28 - 19 June 2017 10:26 PM

Resogun is my favorite Housemarque game. Love the particle effects in it.

Check the MC for non X game

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/nex-machina-death-machine

Smile

They are the best in the business in twin stick shooters and particle effects. This game seems to keep the tradition going Smile

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

SoccerDude28 - 20 June 2017 12:11 PM

They are the best in the business in twin stick shooters and particle effects. This game seems to keep the tradition going Smile

Thats how layden win souls Wink

Matterfall in August by same guys which is side scroll view, for some reason i think they should combine both perspective in next game, shifting like Nier on fly for mega brain twist

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Unruly Heroes looks real cool.

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Jim Ryan, the gift that keeps on giving http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/06/21/e3-2017-indies-less-relevant-now-says-playstations-jim-ryan

Can someone shut up this shithead? Indies less relevent? Yeah after they got you were you are you corporate shill.

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Another hidden indie from E3. Last Day of June from Ovosonico, the guys behind the weird but awesome Murasaki Baby on the Vita. I love their weird Tim Burton style.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

SoccerDude28 - 21 June 2017 12:02 AM

Jim Ryan, the gift that keeps on giving http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/06/21/e3-2017-indies-less-relevant-now-says-playstations-jim-ryan

Can someone shut up this shithead? Indies less relevent? Yeah after they got you were you are you corporate shill.

He has a point though, but not worded properly
I dont like him but he is right on Indies getting less relevant unless they are at the level of few better productions like Ori,NMS,Firewatch,WilD etc
There is far far more saturation of indies than ever before, they are dozens of them,
its hard to cherry pick and raise the level of AA or AAAs
Not to mention the fact that many indies end up on many platforms anyway
All those launch exclusive indies in MS conference will end up on PS4 , i mean their Inside landed on PS4 in a month Meh

After 60 million sales you dont need to cram indies in E3 conference
And considering it was sony who put indie guys on stage like NMS, its not right to call them off on this issue
They had Gamescom as indie centric conf before

I am sure next Journey game will end up being Sony exclusive too, among others

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

nomadsoul - 21 June 2017 01:49 PM

He has a point though, but not worded properly
I dont like him but he is right on Indies getting less relevant unless they are at the level of few better productions like Ori,NMS,Firewatch,WilD etc

I know what he means, and I think he didn’t mean it the way it came out, but man Sony should just not let him speak in public anymore. Between this and the whole Minecraft cross play thing, this guy is like a PR nightmare.

There is far far more saturation of indies than ever before, they are dozens of them,
its hard to cherry pick and raise the level of AA or AAAs

Not to mention the fact that many indies end up on many platforms anyway
All those launch exclusive indies in MS conference will end up on PS4 , i mean their Inside landed on PS4 in a month Meh

But the reason why they end up on PS4 is because of their stance few years back. MS used to be in that spot in the 360 era if you remember, with games like Braid, Fez, and Brothers all appearing there first. But they faltered so hard by being complete douches towards the end of the cycle that devs like Jonathan Blow and the Super Meat Boy guys didn’t want to work with them anymore. Why would Sony want to do that with stupid remarks like that?

I think the way Microsoft showcased them this year was great. They highlighted Ashen, The Last Night, and Ori, all which look amazing and more exciting than many AAA, and then had a short highlight reel for the rest.

Kinda Funny has a whole episode that discusses this:

And considering it was sony who put indie guys on stage like NMS, its not right to call them off on this issue.

Sony was amazing from 2012-2015 with their indie stand, and I loved them for it. I just don’t understand why they have to burn bridges now. Like Greg Miller said, he is worried that Sony is getting arrogant now because of their sales lead and saying stupid things like they did in the PS3 era (get another job, dual shock rumble is not important etc…).

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

SoccerDude28 - 21 June 2017 02:03 PM

Between this and the whole Minecraft cross play thing, this guy is like a PR nightmare

yeah he could definitely use reggie spin on matters

Why would Sony want to do that with stupid remarks like that?

I think it doesnt matter much as long as they have BizDevelopment executives going to grab good indies first and sign contracts like Lost Soul Aside
Gio and Asad will cover that base

They highlighted Ashen, The Last Night, and Ori, all which look amazing and more exciting than many AAA

Ashen was shown before, and LAstnight is 2018 fall earliest and Ori too 2018
Its same cuphead and Below affair,and its worse to show indies years before
Funny how Sony get flack for showing AAA games

Kinda Funny has a whole episode that discusses this

Good to have them back in form Andrea and Danny
But beard guy made right point on how E3 wont matter for conf but when normal gamers goto site or get updated through facebook, its Sony games filling the content more
Like now conf is over, we have Nex, and soon all games i listed ...it will be all sony content to make them more relevant, MS has nothing but Crackdown and forza
We will be talking about reviews of Sony games mostly

Sony is getting arrogant now

I remember Jim saying that there will be no complacency in software releases
Japanese Sony guy said same thing, they want to make PS4 a ps2 like success
So i am optimistic , too much games already to buy
I am already burning out

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Adam Boyes must be facepalming every time Jim Ryan opens his mouth… Indies were not important to show but VR fishing in FF15 was a must! Smile

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 21 June 2017 05:57 PM

Adam Boyes must be facepalming every time Jim Ryan opens his mouth… Indies were not important to show but VR fishing in FF15 was a must! Smile

They need to sell VR hardware

Just like you were looking for Vita games back in the day, many VR owners are now looking for VR games and Moss even won game of the show award

Atleast they are not MS who showed Kinect then Hololens then Carmack with Minecraft then vanished into thin air Tongue

Adam didnt do much except Lucas AGs which are flop and DoA
Shahid was the main guy

Cerny was mainly behind Shenmue3

And rest Japan localization building the list and Vita is Corsi thing

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Burly men at sea

Some sony indies and ofcourse fuel for soccerdude

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/300395/With_Sonys_indie_support_in_question_developers_at_E3_weigh_in.php

You’re one of the only PlayStation-focused indies that I’ve found on the show floor here. So what’s your take on that? Do you think they’re stepping away?

I don’t know. My first thought, I’m just really surprised because they’ve supported indies very very well over the last few years and to us, having dealt with Microsoft a little bit, as well, Sony was much more forthcoming and interested, easier to talk to. I’m just frankly very surprised.

Edit

Sony incubating Chinese Dev Indie scene

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

nomadsoul - 24 June 2017 06:31 PM

Burly men at sea

Some sony indies and ofcourse fuel for soccerdude

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/300395/With_Sonys_indie_support_in_question_developers_at_E3_weigh_in.php

You’re one of the only PlayStation-focused indies that I’ve found on the show floor here. So what’s your take on that? Do you think they’re stepping away?

I don’t know. My first thought, I’m just really surprised because they’ve supported indies very very well over the last few years and to us, having dealt with Microsoft a little bit, as well, Sony was much more forthcoming and interested, easier to talk to. I’m just frankly very surprised.

Edit

Sony incubating Chinese Dev Indie scene

From that same link you provided:

You’re one of the only PlayStation-focused indies that I’ve found on the show floor here. So what’s your take on that? Do you think they’re stepping away.

Especially on the floor. I figured, you know, we’ve seen them at Indiecade a number of years, but they have a huge presence with all these indie games. I’m very surprised they don’t have a few at their booth.

Edit: I was personally at E3 2 years ago, and almost half their booth was indies. This year, as you see from that article you posted, they have barely any (only Moss and that’s PS VR). You are trying to tell me Sony does not have a shift in attitude?

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

SoccerDude28 - 24 June 2017 08:27 PM

Edit: I was personally at E3 2 years ago, and almost half their booth was indies. This year, as you see from that article you posted, they have barely any (only Moss and that’s PS VR). You are trying to tell me Sony does not have a shift in attitude?

You always take out negative Smile
I was expecting you would mention those parts i still ran with the article Tongue

Well if you have 10 indies only and then later 200 games, then you have to manage accordingly, also NMS backfired so its not always wise to highlight them
And i have no idea of Sony cost benefit of Indie booths at E3
They put garbage Tiger game on PSN
and then 7 ways to Die is a hit among some circles which is super janky game imho
So you never know what to do (same thin Boyes said to colin iirc) and i dont care as long as they are in contact and incubating creative indies at the back end of Dev scene

Plus i am sure Gamescom and PSX will have all indies

But again i ask you, if indie is hitting shovelware and you never know which shovelware will make money instead of say AA tier Indie , then it puts managers in tough spot what to highlight
We are heading into more random indie games, now that every one making games which was iOS scene now a steam scene and Sony/Ms needs to figure out if they want to flood their stores with shovelware
On the face value i will put money on Lost soul aside but what if some shit like 7 ways to die outsells it?

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

nomadsoul - 24 June 2017 10:44 PM

NMS backfired so its not always wise to highlight them

So one indie game turned out bad, that means we just stop supporting them? Some AAA games also tank and suck like The Order or Knack but you don’t stop making and supporting them. What about The Witness, Resogun, Oddworld, Transistor, Edith Finch, Journey, Axiom Verge, Day of the Tentacle, Ethan Carter etc… These games carried the PS4 when it was still known as the delay station Tongue

Honestly, Sony hyped NMS so much that there was no way it could live up to that hype.To me it didn’t look that good because they never showed gameplay, and yet Sony kept putting it front and center in every conference and treating it like a AAA title. Part of the reason, is because they had no AAA exclusive games coming out so they relied on it till their big guns were ready. They set it up for failure.

And i have no idea of Sony cost benefit of Indie booths at E3

Well that strategy that they were following got them to sell 60 million PS4’s. Why change what was working really well.

Plus i am sure Gamescom and PSX will have all indies

Hope you are right

But again i ask you, if indie is hitting shovelware and you never know which shovelware will make money instead of say AA tier Indie , then it puts managers in tough spot what to highlight

Just be selective on what you show. What I would do if I were them is to put emphasis on a few games that look pretty amazing from respectable devs. Microsoft did a really good job with that in their conference. Like we all know Ori 2, Cuphead, and Last Night look incredible, so highlight games like those, and then have a reel for the rest. If one of them turns bad, it happens even with AAA so just move on. Do not highlight one game like NMS as a AAA title.

On the face value i will put money on Lost soul aside but what if some shit like 7 ways to die outsells it?

I don’t know much about 7 days to die, but if people are buying it like crazy, means it has a market. I remember Colin had an interview with my favorite ex-Sony guy Adam Boyes, and he was asking him about being selective. Adam said that when he started, he saw Dear Esther and he passed it at the time thinking:“Oh no one cares about these walking simulators”. Well look at where these games are now. Steam might be overcrowded by indies, but it is by far the most popular digital store in the world, so they must be doing something right.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

SoccerDude28 - 25 June 2017 02:02 AM

Part of the reason, is because they had no AAA exclusive games coming out so they relied on it till their big guns were ready. They set it up for failure

Wait wut?

NMS was released in the year of UC4,Ratchet, Lastguardian, no AAA exclusives
And Horizon was marketed along with them which came 2 months after end of 2016
Remind me competition AAA games please of that tier?
And NMS was winner in sales despite the casual hatemachine around it

They set it up for failure

No we all thought it had potential, the fact Ancel and Ubi ripping it off proves the idea was great and its far from clusterfuck like Andromeda , so cut some slack
Sony had no control on content and shit, they supported the vision , that alone proves Sony guts

The Witness, Resogun, Oddworld, Transistor, Edith Finch, Journey, Axiom Verge, Day of the Tentacle, Ethan Carter etc

If you think average Sony consumer or just consumer who bought Sony console for the first time worries about these, then you are wrong
Indies are just good way to pass time but not all are system sellers

How many of here reviewed Shadow of the beast? or Oddworld?
We play DoT here, but out there it performs worse than NMS
So we dont need Schafer on Sony stage technically but he appeared nonethless , quite few number of times , that was same Sony

Well that strategy that they were following got them to sell 60 million PS4’s

So 60 million consoles are sold because of indies , well not sure if serious

Like we all know Ori 2, Cuphead, and Last Night look incredible, so highlight games like those, and then have a reel for the rest

Lastnight is shown early like you know cuphead which is the first game in my first post
https://adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/3796/

And Ori2 was leaked to be shown at last e3, glad they held it back, if its 2018 rel other wise another shame for competition

And lets not forget amazing Below which i was streaming yesterday on big screen, 2016 footage saying summer confirmed release

it is by far the most popular digital store in the world, so they must be doing something right

Tad our old fella said same thing i remember about TTG, they are doing something right
Well you know i answered him saying candycrush , farmville and iOS shovelware, Wii shovelware, MMOs also do something right
Minecon , so much Minecraft fans, they are also doing something right
Also not forget Ubi and EA releasing same games with new skins yearly with upgraded graphics like Asscreed to SWars to battlefornt to fifa which also sells alot which means doing something right

my favorite ex-Sony guy Adam Boyes
Oh no one cares about these walking simulators”

Your fav guy was wrong, you are right Smile
Well on other hand Gio bringing indies to Vita and he was sane enough to cherry pick
Killer app yakuza series for fans

You should buy and play Yakuza0, first and foremost appreciate wats on Sony plate rating higher than competition than Indies that you can find elsewhere Smile

PS = Yes i have read this article

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1396749

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top