• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoIronCretinJdawg445Lady KestrelTimovieManwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What is your opinion on games today?

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

jhoedi - 19 September 2015 09:42 PM

I agree with you all.. Smile

Glad to have done your homework or whatever.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

I believe that PS2 era and PC era before it was the end of gaming in gamedesign.
Not much is explored in gaming post PS2 gen, mostly same designs , same concepts rehashed and whole industry is expanding horizontally not vertically.

DemonSouls was the only creative game , maybe Vanquish and Borderlands too.
Thats about it.

The new shtick of epic set pieces was introduced and Mastered by M. Alavi with his Chernobyl and other missions in CoD, which became a model for everyone to copy crapping on Hollywood and giving complex to all other games.
Naughty Dog and others followed suit and Hollywood still ripping them and failing hard.
Even DavidGoyer accepted that.

On gameplay front we have hits like Asscreed and Batman which mad whole industry Press A for Awesome.

In the end, we have AAA industry making interactive experiences not creative AAA games.
And indies which are ripping old gamedesigns of Zelda, Megaman, Metroidvania etc.

So i am taking PS4 as last shot to get all those games and memories of the past coming back in AAA form, sequels i wanted most in some form and just one final swing at AAA or mid tier or Indies that hark back to the oldies esp PS2 era.

I am skeptical about console future , so savoring most of what is coming today that resembles most to era i mentioned than warfighters or yearly franchises open world or not.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I think my biggest gripe about AAA games today in the non-adventure game space is open world design. It was a novelty with GTA and few clones back in the PS2 era, and it expanded more in the PS3 and XBOX 360 era, but now almost every single AAA game that comes out seems to be open world with 100+ hours of gameplay. Even if I dedicated all my time to playing these games and did no work and any other hobbies or social life, I wouldn’t be able to finish all the new games coming out. And it’s not only open space, but the vast amount of space you have to traverse in these games. I argue that having a strong narrative and tightly designed game with less choice can provide a much better gaming experience. For example, I still like Arkham Asylum more than Arkham City, and definitely more than Arkham Knight, and I think it is a better designed and tight game. Same goes for a game like the Last of Us which provided me with much more memorable moments than all the Assassin’s Creed games. I enjoyed Far Cry 3 much more than Far Cry 4, mainly due to the fact that the open world size was much smaller and it didn’t feel like a drag.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

SoccerDude28 - 21 September 2015 11:15 PM

I think my biggest gripe about AAA games today in the non-adventure game space is open world design. It was a novelty with GTA and few clones back in the PS2 era, and it expanded more in the PS3 and XBOX 360 era, but now almost every single AAA game that comes out seems to be open world with 100+ hours of gameplay. Even if I dedicated all my time to playing these games and did no work and any other hobbies or social life, I wouldn’t be able to finish all the new games coming out. And it’s not only open space, but the vast amount of space you have to traverse in these games. I argue that having a strong narrative and tightly designed game with less choice can provide a much better gaming experience. For example, I still like Arkham Asylum more than Arkham City, and definitely more than Arkham Knight, and I think it is a better designed and tight game. Same goes for a game like the Last of Us which provided me with much more memorable moments than all the Assassin’s Creed games. I enjoyed Far Cry 3 much more than Far Cry 4, mainly due to the fact that the open world size was much smaller and it didn’t feel like a drag.

Open world is to this gen , what FPS were in last gen.
But Dyinglight, Witcher3, MGSV etc. prove that open world can be rad, the examples you mentioned were from a companies who are recycling same formula which make it feel like a drag.
Novelty wears off quickly and yes if companies have no reason to expand then dont.
But again i know alot of people who get and enjoy same openworlds as more bang for a buck or whatever addiction.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

I really only got back into gaming in 2009 after learning of the Ace Attorney series and I don’t ever remember a time with as much variety AND quality compared to the past several years. There’s less of a stigma towards games that don’t push the hardware compared to 10-15 years ago when 2D games pretty much disappeared. Nowadays, Shovel Knight is getting his own Amiibo?

The production values on the high end side of things has really been good too. I was looking through The Art of Remember Me that I found in a collectors store and just thought this is something you’d never see before - the appreciation of a game that really only ever got a lukewarm reception. That’s really positive.

My gripe revolves around whether this modern infrastructure for selling diverse and unique games isn’t also too limiting. I love my production values and triple A looks really unsustainable. This means we are seeing unique and experimental ideas immediately announced as shorter, lower budget titles only available as digital downloads. I think a game like Ico or Silent Hill 2 would lose a lot if they were shortened or cut up and released episodically. Playing through the later stages of Journey hints at what could have been if the game was extended to the lengths of 10-20 hours adding more obstacles and environments to its world,

With the recent release of Until Dawn, The Last Guardian on the horizon and the overall consistency of quality among titles big and small - I’m not too worried yet.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Wat do you think wilco and timmovieman?

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Good times, lots of different games coming out, indies keep getting better, old classics are easily available.
It seemed like f2p and mobile crap was going to take over but no.
All bad thing is that the industry in Japan is going so bad and a lot of companies like Capcom and Konami are doing terrible.
All that it’s missing is time to play games.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

nomadsoul - 03 September 2016 04:41 PM

My opinion is pretty much irrelevant. All my gaming knowledge of recent years basically comes from this forum.

I like AGs and a very limited number of other genres, but I lack the time to play a lot of games, so I’d rather just focus on what I know. Heck, I haven’t even considered ANY AAA-game since Mass Effect 3. I don’t think my laptop could even handle one.

My opinion on games today? Choice is abundant. That’s pretty much all I know…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

TimovieMan - 05 September 2016 05:57 AM
nomadsoul - 03 September 2016 04:41 PM

My opinion is pretty much irrelevant. All my gaming knowledge of recent years basically comes from this forum.

I like AGs and a very limited number of other genres, but I lack the time to play a lot of games, so I’d rather just focus on what I know. Heck, I haven’t even considered ANY AAA-game since Mass Effect 3. I don’t think my laptop could even handle one.

My opinion on games today? Choice is abundant. That’s pretty much all I know…

Whats your occupation?

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

nomadsoul - 05 September 2016 09:33 AM

Whats your occupation?

Business analyst, but I don’t see how that matters. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

TimovieMan - 05 September 2016 09:35 AM
nomadsoul - 05 September 2016 09:33 AM

Whats your occupation?

Business analyst, but I don’t see how that matters. Tongue

Same job here, but i jumped to Data analyst.
Just asked to check if its time consuming or labor intensive, exhausting like
programming or accounting.
My pals do 13 hrs drill some 9, i do 8.
So 13 ones have left gaming.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I have two young children. By the time they’re in bed, I’m usually knackered. Nothing more to it than that. Tongue

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top