• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Last finished game

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Finally played and finished Psychonauts (ended the resistance and finally got a controller for pc) and all I can say is that it was really worthy of all the praise.
Surprised of how many “adventure” elements were found in levels like the Milkman conspiracy and others - always thought of it like a pure platformer/action game.

Total Posts: 317

Joined 2008-07-14

PM

Finished “Black Mirror 2” for the first time. Spoilers ahead.

God, the beginning chapters bored me to death, but Chapter 5 and 6 were interesting. I liked seeing Bates and Ralph again! I always loved Ralph, and I would have liked Bobby too, if he hadn’t betrayed me. He sounded like the same actor that did Ralph in the first game. I’m still none the wiser to if Samuel killed William or not in the first game. Since he needed 5 souls, he probably killed William since the symbol was there. But then why do they keep referring to William going crazy?

Favorite Adventure Games-Lost Crown, Longest Journey, Dark Fall 1&2, Barrow Hill, Black Mirror, Blackwell games, Riven, Myst
Favorite Other Games-Kings Bounty, FTL
Currently Playing-Barrow Hill:The Dark Path
Looking Forward To-Last Crown/Braken Tor

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2006-06-19

PM

I just finished playing Mass Effect 3 to get to an ending that was far from adequate for having gone through all that effort and emotional investment. BUT I am so glad the developers heard the call from fans of this fantastic series and quickly added more detailed explanations and endings than they had originally. Even though I prefer games with less shooting, I’ll be playing this game again to get some better outcomes for characters I got attached to. It occurred to me that the makers of Dreamfall should have done exactly the same thing instead of promising a final conclusion in a third game and then promising chapters that years later resulted in nothing. The Dreamfall non-ending dilemma and broken promises could have been avoided as soon as they started hearing complaints from disappointed fans of Longest Journey. If only they had been as respectful to their fans as the Mass Effect 3 developers were to theirs.

Life is a riddle waiting to be solved.

Joined 2008-07-14

PM

Finished “Black Mirror 3”. The first 3 chapters or so are really strong. Adrian having violent visions really adds to the atmosphere. The ending of Chapter 2 really felt like a great build up and denoument. I loved “seeing” Ralph again. I like to think that at the end of the game, Adrian lived in the castle with Ralph and Bobby, with Edward as the faithful butler and Adrian would help Spooner with cases. *sigh* I loved all these characters I mentioned.

The last chapter or so were SO boring, in my opinion. I was just trying to rush to the end by that time, and then they wham you with new ideas about shades, and how he’s going to beat Mordred, that left me asking, “What?!”

However, I liked the 3rd game a lot more than the 2nd game, although the 1st game will still remain my favorite. I’m just left with one question by the end…Did Samuel kill William or not?! There was a symbol, and he needed 5 souls, so I’m thinking he did, so why do they keep referring to William as crazy?

Favorite Adventure Games-Lost Crown, Longest Journey, Dark Fall 1&2, Barrow Hill, Black Mirror, Blackwell games, Riven, Myst

Total Posts: 165

Joined 2004-12-30

PM

Finished my replay of ‘Sam and Max Hit the Road’. Now I need something to occupy the gaming time before Dishonored…

Total Posts: 86

Joined 2003-09-21

PM

Just finished Anna’s Quest, wrote up some thoughts here. Also Borderlands 2 on Friday. A damn fine game. I loved the art direction in particular.

Right or wrong, weak or strong.

Joined 2008-07-14

PM

Just finished “Sherlock Holmes: Case of the Silver Earring”. What a weird rollercoaster of emotion that was for me. Frustration and amusement, mostly.

There were so many small little cutscenes that made me laugh out loud, like Watson’s gun not being loaded at the right time, Holmes’ face-palm, and Watson overspilling the tea. These are the funniest scenes I have seen in Holmes games before. I love how expressive and innocent Watson’s face seems in this game, and I think his character drawing became less in the newer titles.

Holmes’ voice would sometimes become too emotional at the weirdist times that didn’t make much sense, and was very jarring compared to the dead pan he uses the rest of the time.

There were a ton of hellish small hotspots that were almost impossible to find, sometimes needing to use the magnifying glass and others Holmes used it by himself automatically was annoying. The most frustrating part was the timed fire sequence. Even with complete directions, I almost didn’t make it with Holmes’ pausing a few precious seconds before he ran. God, that was the most frustrating part.

The story seemed a bit confusing and diluted at the end, with the longest cutscene I have ever seen. The premise of it all was very interesting, and a button I founda t the beginning made me think I knew who the murderer was all along. The story itself was nice, but all of the little details just confused me and the plot.

Overall, the game was “eh” for me, but with some really classic funny cutscenes.

Total Posts: 28

Joined 2010-05-14

PM

Secret Files 3

Bad

-Hardly any human interaction, bad dialogue (if any).
-Horrible voice acting, mouth synch
-Average puzzles, not a challenge for the normal adventure gamers
-Too short
-Cliché abrupt ending & uninteresting story
-No Max, no team puzzles Frown

Good

-Graphics & Graphic options
-Some locations seem nice but nothing compared to the previous ones

I give it a 4/10

Disappointing because i’ve been looking forward to this, god i can’t take the bad adventure games anymore Frown

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2012-04-11

PM

AprilLives - 22 September 2012 10:53 PM

I just finished playing Mass Effect 3 to get to an ending that was far from adequate for having gone through all that effort and emotional investment. BUT I am so glad the developers heard the call from fans of this fantastic series and quickly added more detailed explanations and endings than they had originally. Even though I prefer games with less shooting, I’ll be playing this game again to get some better outcomes for characters I got attached to. It occurred to me that the makers of Dreamfall should have done exactly the same thing instead of promising a final conclusion in a third game and then promising chapters that years later resulted in nothing. The Dreamfall non-ending dilemma and broken promises could have been avoided as soon as they started hearing complaints from disappointed fans of Longest Journey. If only they had been as respectful to their fans as the Mass Effect 3 developers were to theirs.

ME1 was a bad RPG, ME2 was an adventure game, and ME3 was an alright cover shooter. I don’t mind the ending itself because I wasn’t that invested in it but I can understand the people who felt cheated (though not the guys who actually sued Bioware - yes, this happened, lol). ME2 was a good game, the rest of the series average at best.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Adventure -

ME1 was a bad RPG, ME2 was an adventure game, and ME3 was an alright cover shooter. I don’t mind the ending itself because I wasn’t that invested in it but I can understand the people who felt cheated (though not the guys who actually sued Bioware - yes, this happened, lol). ME2 was a good game, the rest of the series average at best.

I strongly disagree, but I’m a big fan of the series, so I’m biased. Smile
Personally, I think ME1 is a great space opera RPG, ME2 is imo one of the best games of all time, and ME3 comes close to ME2 except for its weaker ending (which admittedly they improved as a result of the extreme overreaction by practically the entire gaming community) and the entire “mandatory multiplayer” thing.

Actually, “extreme overreaction” is still an understatement. Apeshit bananas maybe? Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Finished Overclocked: A History of Violence. Pretty good overall! Not very challenging and somewhat linear/confined in terms of gameplay, but really engrossing.

Joined 2008-07-14

PM

Finished “Testament of Sherlock Holmes”. I’m a huge Holmes fan, and it saddens me that I was disappointed. Frown

The graphics are gorgeous, especially loved Watson’s facial expressions when asked to do something crazy. There were some very amusing lines between Holmes and Watson, and even Holmes and the 3rd playable character, that kept a smile on my face. The puzzles were enjoyable, and most of them I could solve by myself (I’m afraid just a few near the end I had to resort to a walkthrough, and I never skipped a puzzle!). Solving some of the puzzles made me actually feel like I was the genius, and that I knew what was going on, instead of just solving a puzzle and sitting back and letting Holmes explain. The “evil” plan was one of the most interesting ones I’ve seen, though the believability of the poison that can bend people’s will is another matter. I think I would have gotten a lot more enjoyment of the Toby part if it hadn’t been spoiled in multiple reviews I’ve seen. Meh

What made it disappointing for me, I suppose, is the story. I was bored the first half of the game. It just felt like “been there, done that”. I love the “frame Holmes, even Watson begins to doubt” storyline (and this reminded me a lot of the BBC Sherlock episode…anyone else feel that?), but I felt it was mostly forgotten in the first half of the game.

Around the middle, there’s a sequence of really shocking events that really had me on the edge of my seat, and I was a lot more excited and less bored. And as the game went on, the excitement wore off, and I was back to feeling what I had at the beginning.

The ending, which everyone is talking about, was okay. I liked that it wasn’t his actual child, since that goes against everything I hold dear about Holmes-canon. However, I didn’t think the ending was anything special. I felt like the revelation in the middle of the game of Inspector Baynes being a bad guy was more shocking!

I wanted to like this game, I really did. And while it wasn’t bad, the story just didn’t keep my attention enough to like it very much. Frown

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

A New Beginning

Awesome game. Very well done all around.

Total Posts: 86

Joined 2003-09-21

PM

I just finished Dishonored and was sort of blown away. Beautiful art direction and excellent story telling told through observations rather than cutscenes. Almost like a combination of Thief and BioShock gameplay. Can’t recommend it more if you’re into these kinds of games! Next up is XCOM! Grin

Right or wrong, weak or strong.

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Definitely want to try Dishonored and XCOM sometime. Probably next year when they’re a little cheaper and 75% off during a sale.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top