• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieJdawg445KeybordzSpeedBozobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Gallup: You (also) like turn based combat?

Total Posts: 36

Joined 2013-08-16

PM

Hellou, wanted to roll out a quick Gallup regarding people’s references on different game genres. I have a theory that people who enjoy adventure games, might as well find turn based combat (Think X-Com) enjoyable as well?

So, what’s your personal reference when it comes to games? Turn based or real time combat? Also if you “don’t mind” turn based combat, let me know!

Total Posts: 683

Joined 2010-02-05

PM

Howdy,

This is a bit of a tough question, so maybe I’ll just list the different game genres in order of preference.
I’ll use this list as a reference to all the different genres, using some sub-categories where needed.

1. Adventure
2. Real-time strategy (RTS)
3. Racing (more arcade then realistic)
4. Platform games
5. Simulation (specifically the Mechwarrior games & other mech games).. (not MWO)
6. Turn-based strategy
7. Action-adventure
8. Shooter games (mostly just the old ones)

And just for the kicks, genres I really don’t like.
1. MMORPGs
2. Role-playing (but there are some exceptions to the rule)
3. MMORTS
4. Casual game
5. Life simulation
6. Sports games

So I prefer real time over turn based, but I do enjoy a good turn based now and then.

I Am the Knight of the Order of the Sun!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Well, I don’t know about other AG fans, but in my case it’s definitely true that I have a preference for turn-based games in other genres.

Genres I enjoy the most:

Adventures (and I include casuals, puzzle games and visuals novels as subgenres)
Sports games (specifically football, golf and tennis games, as well as football management games)
RPGs (especially Black Isle and BioWare ones - Ps:T, KotOR, BG2, ME1-3)
Guitar Hero (yes, you read that correctly - I can’t help it, I like rock music)
Turn-based strategy (in the form of the brilliant Civilization series, not much else really, unless you count chess or Risk-type games like Axis & Allies)

Genres I enjoy on occasion:

First-Person Shooters (as long as they’re not too tactical, and you get to fight humans and not monsters - basically the later Medal of Honor and earlier Call of Duty titles, as well as Enemy Territory which is still the best online shooter ever)
Racing games (as long as they’re not too realistic - been a while since I played a good one)
RPGs (of the non-Black Isle/BioWare variety - I enjoyed Fallout 3 but almost everything else by Bethesda, while good, bores me after 8 hours. And I quit Deus Ex and don’t see what everyone keeps raving about.)

Genres I generally don’t like, but that have exceptions:

Action-adventure (the Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time trilogy is basically the only series I really like)
Flight sims (well, fighter sims, and not realistic ones)
Turn-based strategy (if it’s not Civilization or Axis & Allies or chess)
Sandbox games (the best thing about them is just roaming around causing a mess instead of following the storyline, and that bores after a few hours)
Tycoon games and world-building games like SimCity (while fun in small doses, they tend to bore fast)
Third-Person shooters (the first Max Payne was good, mainly because of great level design, never really liked any others in the genre, despite the awesomeness of bullet-time)

Genres I just don’t like:

Platformers (never liked them much)
Real-time strategy (I always enjoyed the cutscenes in C&C, though, but not the actual gameplay, although I rather enjoyed playing Cossacks vs. friends, and the only reason I liked Battle for Middle-Earth was because of the setting)
Stealth games (although I did finish MGS3 and loved the story, and I played RPG Alpha Protocol the stealth way, just don’t give me Splinter Cell)
Survival horror games (mostly because I can’t take the horror in games - which is odd as movies never have that effect)
Shooter games where you’re facing monsters/aliens (see survival horror games)
MMORPGs (I’m mostly a single-player type of guy, and I never got the MMORPG appeal)
Other (whatever I haven’t mentioned yet)

So yeah, turn-based >>>> real-time.
The same goes for RPGs: I prefer it if they’re turn-based too. Or at least semi-turn-based where the auto-pause can make it feel like it’s turn-based even though in reality it’s real-time.

And while adventure games have nearly always been the go-to genre for me, there are a few games that never leave my hard disk and that get played every few months:

- Frets on Fire (a Guitar Hero clone where I have a 1200+ song library)
- Civilization IV (THE BEST STRATEGY GAME EVER MADE!!!!)
- Tennis Elbow 2011 (the best tennis game ever made - indie fav!)
- CM01/02 (still the best football management game out there, and still updated by fans twice a year)
- Chessmaster: The Grandmaster Edition (the game that taught me most of what I know about chess, with solid AI opponents of all levels and playstyles for when you don’t feel like playing online)

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

For me it is really a mix of both.

For strategy games I prefer turn based combat, in fact I hate real time strategy games, if the games require me to think, I also want time to actually do so.

For RPG’s or other types of action games, I actually prefer real time combat. A mix where you can pause the game and give orders to companions (if it is an rpg with companions) like Pillars of Eternity, Dragon Age or Mass Effect, can however also work extremely well and kind of embodies the best of both worlds. But outright turn based combat, where each character just waits patiently to be hit, that is both too unrealistic and boring imo.

Oh, and I mainly play Adventures, RPG’s (occasionally MMO) and turn based strategy, but occasionally I will also fire up a more straight shooter, especially if it also has stealth. (Hate platformers)

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

For RPG’s specifically, I like a hybrid system where you can pause the combat if you like or play real time like Knights of the Old Republic, Mass Effect or Freedom Force.
Edit: same as Izno Smile Great minds think alike.
In strategy games, I like both turn based and real time. On one hand, you have Starcraft and Command and Conquer and on the other you have Civilization and Advanced Wars. All these series rate very high on my scale.

I also love Action Adventures (besides adventures they are my favorite genre), games like Prince of Persia, God of War or Uncharted and these all tend to be real time.

So I guess I really have no preference. It just depends on the quality of the game rather than if it is real time or turn based.

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2006-12-29

PM

Besides adventures I mostly play puzzle games, but I also enjoy grand strategy games (turn-based or pausable real-time) and tactical war games (Fire Emblem, Advance Wars and the like). To a lesser extent I like squad turn-based tactics (Jagged Alliance, X-Com), rpgs and some platformers.

The golden age of mathematics - that was not the age of Euclid, it is ours. -Cassius Jackson Keyser

Total Posts: 164

Joined 2007-11-25

PM

I like most genres (which can be both a blessing and a curse). But I obviously play some genres more than others.

Below are my favorite genres, and what types of combat I like, where it makes sense.

Most played genres (ordered by preference):

1. RPG - I like everything from pure action combat to complex turn-based combat, it depends on each game. Favorites include Deus Ex, Ultima VII, Final Fantasy VII.

2. Action-adventure - Favorites include Tomb Raider: Underworld, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, L.A. Noire.

3. Adventure - Favorites include Fate of Atlantis, Monkey Island, Heavy Rain.

Genres I play regularly or semi-regularly:

FPS (including TPS)
Platformers
Third-person action games
Racing games
Shoot ‘em ups
Sports games (mostly soccer and snowboarding)
Strategy games (mostly turn-based, but I like real-time as well)
Sim/management games (both turn-based and real-time)

EDIT: I decided to re-structure the post.

Total Posts: 36

Joined 2013-08-16

PM

Thank you for answering the survey, I have send everyone in this post a free copy of Bunker the Underground Game for Steam. Check your inbox Smile

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Venomlemon - 14 January 2016 04:44 PM

Thank you for answering the survey, I have send everyone in this post a free copy of Bunker the Underground Game for Steam. Check your inbox Smile

Well, that’s a nice surprise! Cool

Thanks!

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 683

Joined 2010-02-05

PM

Venomlemon - 14 January 2016 04:44 PM

Thanks!

I Am the Knight of the Order of the Sun!

Total Posts: 164

Joined 2007-11-25

PM

Thank you! Since I enjoyed Soviet Unterzoegersdorf, I think I’ll enjoy Bunker, too (seems like the concept is somewhat similar) Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top