• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieKeybordzSpeedBozobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Tomb Raider Series

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2009-05-12

PM

Are there any other fans of the Tomb Raider games? Since Rise of the Tomb Raider just came out, I wanted to take the opportunity to discuss the latest entry and the series as a whole, which is one of my all time favorites. I think is the only big game series where I have played almost all the main entries (I skipped The Angel of Darkness because of all the backlash, but I feel I should have given it a try). There is something about its combination of platforming, exploration, puzzles and action that hit a soft spot in me and just couldn’t get enough of it. Playing the first Tomb Raider back in the day was one of those experiences that changed me as a gamer and felt forever in love with that style of gameplay.

My personal favorites are Tomb Raider 1 and 4 (The Last Revelation) from the old ones and Underworld from the newer ones, which I felt struck the perfect balance between the more action and linearity of Legend, with the more open space and solitary exploration of the old ones. Not to mention that i love Norse mythology.

I think my ranking would be something like this:
- 1 and Anniversary
- Underworld
- Legend
- 5 Chronicles

The 2013 reboot left me a little bit cold. I enjoyed it and had fun but it was obvious the new direction to a more Uncharted like focus on action and set pieces. I appreciated things like giving Lara more personality and humanity, and a more grounded story than all the craziness of yore, but I felt sometimes that I was playing a TPS and not a Tomb Raider game Frown

So has anyone gotten Rise yet? I haven’t since I don’t own an XBox One Frown But I’m looking forward to get it when it comes on PC next year. It seems to be getting good reviews and I think most of them agree that is better than the Reboot, with more and better Tombs to explore yay!. I would like to hear your thoughts about it to see if it’s going to be worth the wait Smile

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I can’t do the ranking of the old games, they all kind of blend and I’m not sure which one it is. I did like most of them a lot. Since Crystal Dynamics took over the ranking would be:

Tomb Raider Anniversary > Underworld > Legend > Tomb Raider (2013)
Guardian of Light was very good spin-off

Anniversary felt great - the classic TR but with very good controls. Underworld was ok but had some technical and pacing issues. Legend was a bit too small if I remember correctly.
The 2013 reboot felt less like Tomb Raider and more like Uncharted. It was a good Uncharted game but the lack of puzzles (and some exploration) was a real bummer…
I’m still interested playing Rise when it comes out on PC, at least my expectations are not very high now.

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2015-10-11

PM

I really enjoyed the 2013 one despite the weak script, but it was definitely going full Uncharted. I didn’t mind, I’m not a TR purist. I’ll play the new one when it’s on sale for under 10 dollars on Steam.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I’m a big fan of the original game - some of the sequels not so much.

The weakest to me was Angel of Darkness.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Brutal kills like Rambo,
Moaning,
Automated cover and platforming,
Linear gameplay,
Samey islands and caves,
X ray vision to noob,

From a game which started as tough platformer with calculated skill based jumps, very long and tough puzzles while rewarding the observation/exploration.
Few saves to punish like Souls series.

They only took Lara back , everything else is now summer blockbuster crowd pandering.

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2009-05-12

PM

I hear you… Part of me kind of hates the direction they took since it’s way more action oriented, linear and the stuff you said, but part of me enjoys it I guess because along with Uncharted there’s not much choice in the Action-Adventure genre anyway, and it’s still offers a little bit of that sense of discovery and adventure that I enjoy. I still want to play it when it comes out for PC but yeah…

It’s interesting to see how things change, cause blockbuster games like these nowadays have to be so cinematic and actiony and simplify stuff like the platforming because that’s what sells, but interestingly all the things that are stripped out of a Tomb Raider game today like tough puzzles, big areas, non-linearity and manual and calculated platforming was the “blockbuster” thing of past, of they wouldn’t have made 5 games like that in a row. Oh well, I guess that’s what happened to adventure games, to think they were blockbusters once… Meh 

Come to think of it, with all the Kickstarter fever that is bringing back old and nostalgic stuff, I for one would pay big bucks if someone comes with an old style Tomb Raider game Tongue

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

danigar - 13 December 2015 07:02 PM

that’s what happened to adventure games, to think they were blockbusters once… Meh 

Come to think of it, with all the Kickstarter fever that is bringing back old and nostalgic stuff, I for one would pay big bucks if someone comes with an old style Tomb Raider game Tongue

That makes two of us, though i am skeptical of any KS 3D game of this scale really delivering.
Maybe the original creator who also made Galleon can cook up something.
Would need millions though.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Something about the original Tombraider I just loved, a true classic if there ever was one.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top