• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieJdawg445nouramrfouad94

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Games Thread

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Mystery Case Files: Black Crown is also quite good. Most of the action takes place in a mental asylum, which is always good for a jump scare or two.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Sorry to butt in!
I have a “recommendation question”: )
Long, long time ago I played this casual game named “The Beast of Lycan Isle” and happened to really like it. I’d say it’s lighter on the casual part and plays a bit more like a traditional adventure (I might remember incorrectly) but the overall way it had the theme and atmosphere developed makes me want to ask if there’s anything else like it out there?

Thanks!

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I do not recall every playing this game. Although I did install the demo to see if it would bring back a memory. It didn’t. The game is close to eight years old. And it’s claim to fame seems to be its porting to IOs. I’m familiar with GoGii Games, the developer, but not with any games that are similar to this one.

Welcome to the Casual Games thread. Sorry that I could not be more helpful with your first post.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Thanks for going as far as installing the demo to try it out!
Are there any good games that explore the themes of lycanthropy? I find them quite rare.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

I played it way back when. We had some discussion about it and I thought it was quite good. Don’t remember a lot of it but wasn’t there at some point a grandmotherly character who was floating in air?

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

DCast - 08 March 2020 06:26 AM

Thanks for going as far as installing the demo to try it out!
Are there any good games that explore the themes of lycanthropy? I find them quite rare.

There is a whole series of games under the main title Shadow Wolf Mysteries. I think they are/were developed by ERS Games, (now AMAX Games.) They are available at BigFish Games.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

furgotten - 08 March 2020 11:17 AM

Don’t remember a lot of it but wasn’t there at some point a grandmotherly character who was floating in air?

Yes! Also one of the most memorable moments for me, even though it’s been awhile - the bad-ass grandma Smile
I just really liked the atmosphere in that game. It had a nice degree of spookiness going on.

rtrooney - 08 March 2020 11:46 AM

There is a whole series of games under the main title Shadow Wolf Mysteries. I think they are/were developed by ERS Games, (now AMAX Games.) They are available at BigFish Games.

Thank you very much! I’ll check the series out.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

DCast - 08 March 2020 01:17 PM

Thank you very much! I’ll check the series out.

I am sorry if I assumed something. I assumed that, because you posted your question here, you were only interested in casual lycanthropy games. There are many, many regular adventure games that deal with that subject. The episodic game The Wolf Among Us probably being the best known.

In fact there’s a thread about it on the first page. Perhaps worth checking it out.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

rtrooney - 08 March 2020 07:07 PM

I am sorry if I assumed something. I assumed that, because you posted your question here, you were only interested in casual lycanthropy games.

No, you assumed correctly! At least for the most part. I play more traditional adventures then casual, so I’m much less familiar with the casual titles. I’m currently working on a film about this subject, so I was looking for some inspiration. in fact, the first title that came to mind was a casual game I very much enjoyed, so I figured I ask if there are more of them, and where’s better place to do it if not on a dedicated thread where people like you know the subject in depth?
I’m looking into the series you recommended.

If I may be even more specific - I’m looking more for games that deal with actual subject of lycanthropy - as of someone turning being an issue, the whole process of transformation being the center (or at least main thread) of the game as oppose to just having a werewolf character in-game. (And, yes I do own and very much enjoyed “The Wolf Among Us”)

Really good casual example for reference is that “Beast of Lycan Isle” in my first post (if you’re ever interested enough to play it), as for traditional adventures I guess something along the lines of “Curse of a Blackmoor Manor”... The first one that came to mind. But that’s just for reference purposes.

I am, indeed, looking for casual titles in the Casual Games forum thread, as I’m hoping to pick up something good I might have missed out on.

Thank you!

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2006-12-29

PM

You may want to take a look at MacGuffin’s Curse. The gameplay feels more like a pure puzzle game than an AG but it still has a story, and an important game mechanic is dealing with the way circumstances force you to transform.

The golden age of mathematics - that was not the age of Euclid, it is ours. -Cassius Jackson Keyser

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Harald B - 09 March 2020 03:51 PM

You may want to take a look at MacGuffin’s Curse. The gameplay feels more like a pure puzzle game than an AG but it still has a story, and an important game mechanic is dealing with the way circumstances force you to transform.

Perfect! Sounds like what I’m looking for. I’m definitely looking into that one as well. Thanks!

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Harald B - 09 March 2020 03:51 PM

Seconded! It’s definitely a puzzle game but the script is excellent (the ‘birthday present’ scene has stayed with me - it’s just wonderful) and it builds some clever puzzles around its mechanics. More people should know it!

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2019-09-15

PM

My girlfriend and I just finished the Memoirs of Murder series and had a BLAST. I know traditional adventure games will be way too slow, so I’d like to find a similar series.

Unfortunately, I feel like all HOPAs are horror or fantasy - are there any other franchises that are more down to earth murder mysteries/detective titles?

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Narcissus87 - 27 March 2020 04:07 PM

My girlfriend and I just finished the Memoirs of Murder series and had a BLAST. I know traditional adventure games will be way too slow, so I’d like to find a similar series.

Unfortunately, I feel like all HOPAs are horror or fantasy - are there any other franchises that are more down to earth murder mysteries/detective titles?

Glad you enjoyed the games. Strange you should bring them up. While looking for something to do I replayed Memoirs of Murder - Behind the Scenes, and just finished it yesterday. I think you might like the Vermillion Watch series. It’s a detective series set in the late 1800’s. The characters are based on real people as well as fictional characters from that time period. The latest one is Vermillion Watch - Parisian Pursuit. Try a demo of a few of them. And be sure to let me know what you think so I can refine my search depending on what you liked/disliked about them.

FWIW, this will take you to a listing I made of top casual games. I wrote it in 2017, so it’s changed a bit. But it might be worth looking at some of them.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Finished playing Skyland - Heart of the Mountain. I didn’t have a lot of hope for it. The game is designed/developed by Cordelia Games, a company I never heard of before. I played the demo, and finished it with 48 minutes left of my allotted 90. Not a good sign. But the game was also produced/published by Artifex-Mundi which has a stellar reputation. So I gave it a try.

I was not disappointed. The remainder of the game lasted a good 3-4 hours. Probably more HO scenes than I would like, but the designer obvious made good use of the Artifex Spark Engine. The scenes were varied, and were, for the most part, well integrated into the story.

There is a definite steampunk feel to the design. So people who enjoy that will certainly enjoy this game. The premise is a little preposterous. The “world” of our protagonists is in some sort of post-apocalyptic ruin. We never actually see it so it’s hard to describe. Thee people have relocated to the lands of giants. Now the giants must be REALLY big. Think Atlas big. Think big enough to hold the world on their shoulders. Now if you can get past that, the story is actually kind of interesting.

The ending was a little abrupt. It end with a simon says-style tone match puzzle. The puzzle, to me, seemed impossible to solve. Both because of the speed of the tones being played, but also the number of tones that required matching. I didn’t count, but I wager there were more than the standard five tones. Also, it didn’t appear that the tones built on each other. In other words, it appeared that each level was a puzzle unto itself. And, you can’t skip individual levels. So, not only did the game end abruptly, it ended with the use of the Skip button, which is not the way a game should end. That, however is the only negative comment I have.

BTW: I played the SE version of the game.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top