• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diego

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Thanks for everything, Marek

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I’ve been visiting this site pretty much daily for almost as long as it has existed—since some point in the late 90s. I still call it “AGs”, because I remember the days before that final “s” had to be added. Now that Marek is stepping down, I feel like I have to publicly thank him for everything he’s done.

The (nascent) adventure community in the late 90s / early 00s was in a bad place. There was a lot of bitterness going on because of the so-called “death” of the genre at the hands of “greedy corporations” and “console monkeys” and whatnot. In that context, Adventure Gamer(s) felt like a breath of fresh air: a site that knew and respected the past, but was also unashamedly optimistic and forward-looking.

Both the influence of other genres and technical innovations (real-time 3D, touch control, whatever the fuck the Wiimote was…) were seen not as threats to the purity of adventure gaming, but as chances for the genre to evolve, re-invent itself, and improve. And Marek was the leading voice for that forward-looking outlook.

It might seem less-important, but even the look of the site was in keeping this idea. In the mid-2000s, most other adventure gaming sites still looked like they’d been made with Frontpage Express and “Optimised for Internet Explorer 4.01”—but not AGs. Even as a website, it tried to keep on with the times and to feel fresh and modern. And once again, this was mostly Marek’s doing.

That was all a long time ago, and the genre has changed a lot since this site’s early days. It hasn’t returned to its former prominence, but it has become a lot more diverse and innovative—creatively, adventure games are probably in a better place that they’ve ever been. I love that this site exists and that it continues to look to the future, embrace new creative ideas, and acknowledge the many different types of adventure games, rather than be a shrine to a dead genre. Marek may be retired, but hopefully this’ll forever be a place to speculate about, and celebrate, the future of adventure gaming.

Cheers Marek. Your voice will be missed, but I’m sure your vision will endure.

(Speaking of… Writing this made me realise how much I miss the days when this site had an opinion on things, beyond individual reviews. I wish someone brought that back.)

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Frown

Following AG Staff Announcement , we need this thread of appreciation! 

Thank YOU Marek Bronstring, for this site! which was and is always something very important at each day of my life for the last 3-4 years, and like many others, i believe that if you had asked for the site upgrade campaign we mostly all would have had pledged with big love.

And welcome Ivo Teel Smile for ruling this site hope you and we enjoy our time with it.

An adventure gamer site fan.

Please merge the thread with Kuru’s
Thanks and sorry for troubling any…. but if you please i believe this thread needs to be here at the adventure section.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i Add my voice to this thread and double all that Kuru have said, i can’t really say enough about how this site been the major (and maybe only) venue which was always hitting the core of the genre for the past 16 years, even for me before i join i ve taking all my doses of adventure gaming news and reviews only from here… i can’t thank Mark enough for this for making this site happen.. Farewell Smile Frown Cry

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2003-09-07

PM

I will triple what Kuru has said Smile

I’m so happy that AG will endure, and that it was sold to someone who was a part of the community in its earliest days - what crazy good fortune.

Edit: Whoa this is my first post since the vBulletin forum changed to the current one.

Jake Rodkin might be from the future, but he probably isn’t.

Total Posts: 244

Joined 2011-02-27

PM

Thanks everyone, it’s awesome to read this and it really means a lot.

I’m very thankful for the community that grew around AG. It’s obviously what’s made the site possible and it’s a huge part of what motivated me for all these years.

AG may have seemed almost blindly optimistic during the genre’s dark age, but it’s amazing to see where adventure games are today compared to then. I remember when we first introduced the Hype-o-Meter we sometimes struggled just to find 10 games to fill it with. Smile

Thanks for your tribute Kuru, it’s touching to read that some of the things AG tried to do didn’t go unnoticed. Credit for this is of course shared among everyone who’s worked on AG.

Retired AG founder

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

now Marek would have the chance to contribute with his own ideas about the genre without any reservations Smile

but now also (and here) comes this question to my mind; are we expecting any new policies to the site?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top