• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissiefurgottenIronCretinrtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Annual Academy Awards Ballot thread

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Lady Kestrel - 27 February 2017 02:11 PM

the epitome of a cluster f***!

Smile

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Abnaxus - 25 February 2017 05:57 AM

Hey, it`s the Timovieman it`s going to win anyway oscar predictions time of the year again:

Actually, it’s the TimovieMan couldn’t be bothered year for the Oscars. First time in 20+ years.

And then the Mother of all Flubs happened… Tongue

wilco - 27 February 2017 09:24 AM

1st year in a long time I don’t watch it live and and the most entertaining stuff happens Frown what a mess that ending!

Exactly!

Although I do wonder why Warren Beatty didn’t pull the plug himself before the announcement because he noticed something was off.

Mad props to Jordan Horowitz for immediately setting the flub right and gracefully handing the Oscar he’d just been given to the rightful winners.
He got the short end of the stick in that flub and was still more cool-headed than any of the actual crew and presenters. Not to mention graceful in defeat.

Abnaxus - 27 February 2017 01:10 PM

I am curious what Timovieman would have picked for best movie but I guess he was busy.

Probably La La Land, but I didn’t do any research, didn’t follow any of it, and didn’t fill in any ballots, so frankly, I don’t know what I legitimately would’ve picked.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Guillermo del Toro, The Shape of Water best Director and best film

rest

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/mar/05/oscars-2018-full-list-of-winners-live

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

nomadsoul - 05 March 2018 04:48 AM

Guillermo del Toro, The Shape of Water best Director and best film

rest

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/mar/05/oscars-2018-full-list-of-winners-live

Kojima influence continues!

I have not seen a single movie of the nominees but Del Toro deserves it for Pan

Edit: Wait, Kobe Bryant won an Oscar?!? What

Edit2: Blade Runner for Cinematography! Deakins!

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

actually now i have seen the nomination and the winners at every category i must say that this year was true average i don’t say lame and take away the hard working behind every work done to make those movies, but i am speaking for the whole punch of nominated personals, they all had better work than these, and better films than those, the only thing that was exciting at the Oscars; Gary Oldman finally being appreciated.

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

Absolutely right Advie - 2017 was a very poor year for movies!

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Rami Malek winning the academy award of a lead actor.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I did get to watch the film. I thought at the time that the ‘bucked teeth’ was overdone but otherwise an interesting film.  Smile

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I noticed with the awards in general that there were many winners who hadn’t ever been nominated before.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

I never really understood how the Oscars work. Who nominates the films? Who chooses the winners? Why is it always the same film winning 3-4 awards? If it’s a small group of people, can they possibly have watched all the films released in the year? Why is it mostly American films with a small number of foreign?

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Donuts McGee - 26 February 2019 05:32 AM

I never really understood how the Oscars work. Who nominates the films? Who chooses the winners? Why is it always the same film winning 3-4 awards? If it’s a small group of people, can they possibly have watched all the films released in the year? Why is it mostly American films with a small number of foreign?

The Oscars are organized by “The Academy”, aka AMPAS (Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences). That’s an honorary society formed in 1927 “to promote excellence in the field of filmmaking”.
Since it was established in the US by a group of Hollywood producers, directors and actors, its focus lies on Hollywood (and thus English-language films), hence the “mostly American films with only a small number of foreign”.

Members of the Academy need to have been invited and must have “demonstrated exceptional achievement in the field of theatrical motion pictures”. In the past, membership was for life, but since last year, membership only lasts for 10 years (and is only subject to renewal if the member remains active in the film industry).

“Thanking the Academy” while accepting an Oscar is thanking the organization that handed out the awards, but is also thanking the professional peers who voted in the category. That means 6687 people (in 2017).

For a film to be eligible for an Oscar (which is a nickname, officially it’s an “Academy Award of Merit”), it needs to fulfill certain criteria. It needs to have had a public premiere in a movie theater during the appropriate calendar year, be over 40 minutes long, have played in a movie theater in L.A. County for at least a week (hence the focus on Hollywood films), and the producer or distributor needs to have submitted an Official Screen Credits form (which lists the production credits for all the related Oscar categories).

In January, a nomination ballot gets sent to all members of the Academy, together with a list of all eligible films. For most of the award categories, only Academy members in that particular field are allowed to vote for nominees (only directors submit nominations for best director, only editors submit nominations for best editor, etc). Everybody gets to select best picture nominees. Foreign films and documentaries are selected by special screening groups. Foreign films need to have been submitted by their nation, and only one movie per nation is allowed.

Once the Academy received all the ballots from their members, the nominations are then tabulated in secrecy, and the official nominees are announced.

After this announcement, the Academy members get final ballots and have another two weeks to get their votes in.

During this time, production companies are allowed to send screening copies of their films to the members, or hold special screenings, or basically campaign to get their film seen by as many Academy members as possible.

After the ballots are in, votes are counted in secrecy and results are kept under wraps until the night of the Oscars.

In summary:

Donuts McGee - 26 February 2019 05:32 AM

Who nominates the films?

Members of the Academy. That were 6687 people in 2017.

Who chooses the winners?

Those same members of the Academy.

Why is it always the same film winning 3-4 awards?

Because that’s what the members voted for. Can be influenced a little by aggressive campaigns by the production companies. The Weinsteins were notorious for this.

If it’s a small group of people, can they possibly have watched all the films released in the year?

It’s a significant group, but they can’t have watched them all. They just list their favourites.

Why is it mostly American films with a small number of foreign?

Because the Academy is in Hollywood, by Hollywood, for Hollywood.

Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

Beautiful Thumbs Up

Still, I don’t get the fuss. Doesn’t seem like a big deal or something to cry over if a bunch of people likes your film.
But maybe I’m just saying that because my favourite film of the year (Burning) wasn’t even mentioned haha Smile

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

TimovieMan - 26 February 2019 10:45 AM

Members of the Academy. That were 6687 people in 2017.

They’ve been trying to boost their diversity (more women, more non-whites) and have invited a record number of new members for several years in a row now.
Membership tally is currently over 9200.

Total Posts: 212

Joined 2005-10-07

PM

TimovieMan - 27 February 2019 05:36 AM

Membership tally is currently over 9200.

It’s OVER 9000!?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top