• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

the games database

Total Posts: 46

Joined 2016-06-14

PM

I miss being able to search for a game by the year or by its title the way this database is designed now is terrible. Unless you are currently working on changes to it and just needed to add this as temporary.

“You fight like a dairy farmer” - Secret of Monkey Island
“you always were a kidder Steve” - Harvester
“hello bright eyes” - Blackwell Legacy
“feeling lonely” - The 7th Guest

Total Posts: 724

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Thanks, obviously you can still search for games if wanted, but I do understand the wish for these features. They are certainly returning.

I’m looking to make a separate ‘discover’ page that features the options you’re looking for, as the other database had an overkill of options making it so hardly anyone would use it realistically. 

What type of ways did you use the old database besides what you mentioned above?

Total Posts: 460

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

I think the people the problem with the games database as it is now is that you need to already know what you’re looking for for it to be of any use.

The previous filters did allow you to look for types of games, formats they’re available on etc, and without those kind of things, the database is neutered.

Now Playing: Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, Control: Ultimate Edition
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Dale - 06 November 2018 08:09 AM

I think the people the problem with the games database as it is now is that you need to already know what you’re looking for for it to be of any use.

The previous filters did allow you to look for types of games, formats they’re available on etc, and without those kind of things, the database is neutered.

Understood, again that’s where I think a “Discover” feature would be more in it’s place, as it would ensure you can really use it to discover new titles based on certain parameters.

I’ll add “year” sorting to the current Games database (and maybe 1 or 2 other more simple filters), but the real discovery options should be a separate page.

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

angelus_04 - 05 November 2018 03:20 PM

I miss being able to search for a game by the year or by its title the way this database is designed now is terrible. Unless you are currently working on changes to it and just needed to add this as temporary.

Can you clarify what you mean with searching by a game’s title? You can now sort based on Title (starting letter) or simply use the site search functionality to find a game based on a certain title. I think I might be misunderstanding how you used this functionality.

I’ll add the search box directly on the games DB page so people immediately know that’s something they can use (as not everyone might read the intro text).

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

An alternative idea I have, is changing the “All” page to instead of all games give you a selection of the following

- Which year are you looking for
- Which platform are you looking for
- Which Genre are you looking for
- Graphic Style are you looking for

These options would then give you an ‘all’ page with specifically one of those selections applied, with additional opportunity to go into specific letters (as is currently the case).

I’d still propose to make a discovery page that makes you really be able to go all out with combination of choices, but we could have the current database provide you with a few more options to filter (based on those selection I can ensure you can at least sort based on year or title alternatively).

Ivo

Total Posts: 46

Joined 2016-06-14

PM

CaliMonk - 06 November 2018 08:33 AM
angelus_04 - 05 November 2018 03:20 PM

Can you clarify what you mean with searching by a game’s title? You can now sort based on Title (starting letter) or simply use the site search functionality to find a game based on a certain title. I think I might be misunderstanding how you used this functionality.

I’ll add the search box directly on the games DB page so people immediately know that’s something they can use (as not everyone might read the intro text).

Oh I do see that you can still search for a game by its title I miss being able to search by year and by genre especially genre. A genre search helps when I want to play a horror game for Halloween

“You fight like a dairy farmer” - Secret of Monkey Island
“you always were a kidder Steve” - Harvester
“hello bright eyes” - Blackwell Legacy
“feeling lonely” - The 7th Guest

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Just popping in to say that searching by year often helps in the research for forum quizzes. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Sorting by YEAR and TITLE is available once again! Also for the sub-selection of specific letters you can sort both ASCending as well as DESCending.

The Genre specific things in my view are really more part of a ‘discovery’ feature, just know I’m certainly looking at that.

Open for feedback on current functionality as always.

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2018-11-23

PM

Hi,
you mentioned these parameters in one of your posts

” - Which year are you looking for
- Graphic Style are you looking for”

I used to combine multiple parameters to get what I want (games for PC/Xbox,animated reality,in range of recent years, no horrors, etc)

I wonder if “old” search menu will come back? Or I’m using the new one in the wrong way.

Can you help me with my search?... as I’m getting a bit lost Smile

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Katarina - 23 November 2018 05:11 AM

Hi,
you mentioned these parameters in one of your posts

” - Which year are you looking for
- Graphic Style are you looking for”

I used to combine multiple parameters to get what I want (games for PC/Xbox,animated reality,in range of recent years, no horrors, etc)

I wonder if “old” search menu will come back? Or I’m using the new one in the wrong way.

Can you help me with my search?... as I’m getting a bit lost Smile

This is a new functionality I’m building, to be able to look for Platform, Genre, Graphic style and so on. I call it a “Discovery” functionality that I am to have back before the end of the year, new and improved and much more fit for purpose.

The current database is mainly to browse games by tittle (letter) and/or year (you can sort by either).

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2018-11-23

PM

@CaliMonk, thanks for info. Looking forward to new functionality! Grin

Total Posts: 69

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

any chance that the database search filters are coming back? I REALLY miss them.

~ Flight Of The Amazon Queen ~ Best Adventure ever!

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Working on it at the moment. What’s the ‘main’ feature you’re missing, out of curiosity?

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Because it’s taking me a bit longer then I had anticipated, you can still access the old database at:

https://adventuregamers.com/games/old-database

Again hearing what is really a ‘great’ feature that is used a lot would be helpful :-)

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I find being able to filter by year and by platform to be very useful. Especially filtering by year.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top