• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoSpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Recent movies seen

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

TimovieMan - 26 October 2019 06:24 PM
Mikekelly - 26 October 2019 01:06 PM

I saw the Joker too, I loved the ending. Hopefully we’ll see more superhero movies like this one.

Heart

Not exactly a superhero/supervillain movie, though, is it? Reminds me a bit of Unbreakable in that sense: that was also a superhero origin movie without feeling anything like a superhero movie.

Some would disagree with you.

As a reviewer said:

This is a film about a mentally ill man who does terrible things because he wants to be ‘seen’, and Todd Phillips validates and celebrates him every second of it, turning this villain into a hero.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Luhr28 - 27 October 2019 08:25 PM

As a reviewer said:

This is a film about a mentally ill man who does terrible things because he wants to be ‘seen’, and Todd Phillips validates and celebrates him every second of it, turning this villain into a hero.

I was talking about how most of the film is grounded in reality, with hardly any superhuman elements or abilities to be seen anywhere in the film, making this very hard to compare to the normal superhero or supervillain films we’re used to seeing.

Whether or not the director makes Joker seem like a hero instead of a villain is irrelevant and has nothing to do with that.

Besides, there’s a lot of ambiguity in the film because by the end of it, it’s not entirely clear which scenes really played out as we saw them and which only played out that way in Joker’s head. This makes it so that everyone can come out of this with a different viewpoint…

If you had actually seen the film, you’d know this, instead of having to quote a random reviewer online. Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

TimovieMan - 28 October 2019 10:37 AM

...... I was talking about how most of the film is grounded in reality, with hardly any superhuman elements or abilities to be seen anywhere in the film, making this very hard to compare to the normal superhero or supervillain films we’re used to seeing.

Whether or not the director makes Joker seem like a hero instead of a villain is irrelevant and has nothing to do with that.

Besides, there’s a lot of ambiguity in the film because by the end of it, it’s not entirely clear which scenes really played out as we saw them and which only played out that way in Joker’s head. This makes it so that everyone can come out of this with a different viewpoint…

I’m now most definitely looking forward to seeing this film to make up my own mind!
It doesn’t seem to be available just yet except at the cinema….well maybe….

I’ve just seen that there’s now a big hoo-ha about a Gary Glitter song released in 1972 being featured in the film - way before the guy was convicted in 1999?

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

chrissie - 28 October 2019 04:35 PM

I’ve just seen that there’s now a big hoo-ha about a Gary Glitter song released in 1972 being featured in the film - way before the guy was convicted in 1999?

Featured prominently in quite a pivotal scene, too. Grin
But a good song is a good song, no matter who wrote/sang/played it. And it fits the scene brilliantly.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

TimovieMan - 28 October 2019 05:06 PM

But a good song is a good song, no matter who wrote/sang/played it. And it fits the scene brilliantly.

Thumbs Up
I personally think we should not be denied excellent painting, sculpture, architecture, music literature etc etc etc - are you going to demolish the Sistine Chapel if Michelangelo is found to be a criminal?  Smile

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I’ve seen it listed as a Supervillian movie, crime drama, Psychological thriller to name a few. Take your pick.

Like many movies today, it can fit into many different genres.

It is based on a graphic novel, and graphic novels can be very dark.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

TimovieMan - 28 October 2019 10:37 AM
Luhr28 - 27 October 2019 08:25 PM

As a reviewer said:

I was talking about how most of the film is grounded in reality, with hardly any superhuman elements or abilities to be seen anywhere in the film, making this very hard to compare to the normal superhero or supervillain films we’re used to seeing.

If you had actually seen the film, you’d know this, instead of having to quote a random reviewer online. Wink

Point taken, but I’m not hardly going to watch every film released to personally assess if it’s any good. That’s why I use reviews.

I’m undecided whether I’ll see it yet, but thanks for the clarifications.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

TimovieMan - 26 October 2019 08:35 AM

Went to see Joker.
What a masterpiece!.............
It’s not actually in the superhero/supervillain genre…..........

I wanted to quote everything you said Tim but I think those two statements are so true after seeing it today.
I found the film to be a very sad story about how a guy with mental health problems dealt with (either within the real world or within his head) along with the social message of the lack of support/help for anyone suffering with mental health issues.

Luhr28, please don’t necessarily trust the perception of this reviewer you quoted;

I think the perception of the reviewer is completely wrong! I never saw throughout the film any indication of this very sad man being hailed as a hero (briefly perhaps but in whose head?)  - the reviewer clearly didn’t understand the nuances within the film. 

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

The Joker can be described as a Supervillian. I liked how the movie showed us how he came to be the crazy villain able to stand up to Batman.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Any one see the new Star Wars movie?

Heart

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Not yet… Frown

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I am not gonna praise the Joker more than it already is, but i watched it three times and that is in a short term of time since its release..

Although i have to say its really a movie like no other, with so many layers that could satisfy different audience from the DC fans to the real movie diggers who expecting always sumthing more than just than entertainment, and as i am (i guess) one those latter i have to tell this movie is not what it seems at all and the line between reality and madness/illusion in the movie, does not only concern his neighbor, but everything, i can go on later about it in a short review after making sure most of us have seen it, but for just an example of what am i talking about, why there is almost only one kinda joker’s mask on the streets that are being used which is exactly the same as the one hangs on his mirror at the first scene in the movie, mindblowing!

As for Rise of Skywalker, is the movie in short words the best Star Wars movie made since the original trilogy. loved it and my low expectations maybe had its effect here, but even, it does lack greatness..
but for die-hard Star Wars fans i guess (or sure) there is because of some new Jedi’s abilities and powers introduced in the movie it will bother them much as i am sure they were better avoided since its ridiculous that we haven’t seen it all.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Advie - 09 January 2020 06:39 PM

As for Rise of Skywalker, is the movie in short words the best Star Wars movie made since the original trilogy.

I just went to The Rise of Skywalker and, well, I disagree. Innocent

J.J. Abrams is spineless. He caved in to all the whiny haters of Last Jedi and basically obsoleted that film by backtracking on all the daring decisions Rian Johnson had made.
They come up with a villain that comes out of nowhere, all interesting characters are sidelined, everything about the previous movie gets retconned (including Rey not being related to someone important  Angry ), every time a character does something interesting they immediately kill him/her off, there’s an insane amount of asspulls in making people miraculously survive some events, and the pacing for the second half of the film is so high that it should have been at least half an hour longer just to add a bit more gravitas to the events. That and the giant space battle is a convoluted mess with no sense of direction whatsoever…

That said, is it a bad film? No, not by any means. It’s still fun, there’s quite a few laughs and epic moments, and some of the cast are having a blast hamming it up (you just gotta love Richard E. Grant here, as well as Ian McDiarmid who’s as over the top as ever).
But the film just completely rubs me the wrong way after I loved The Last Jedi to bits…

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker - 3/5

Episode quality in order, imo:

V > VI > VIII > IV > VII > III >>> IX ~ II >>> I

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I think it has very bad decisions made for the last and final 1/3 of the movie, yeah, and while Empire and Return (which are the best) were strong (very strong) on that last 1/3 part of them, and considering this is supposed to have much weight wrapping up the EPIC; i can see why the disappointment there..

but what i really loved about the movie is the actors (you mentioned Richard E. Grant) but Chris and Adam were magnificent ...

I see Driver as the new (or of this era) Pacino.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I just went to The Rise of Skywalker and, well, I disagree. Innocent

J.J. Abrams is spineless. He caved in to all the whiny haters of Last Jedi and basically obsoleted that film by backtracking on all the daring decisions Rian Johnson had made.
They come up with a villain that comes out of nowhere, all interesting characters are sidelined, everything about the previous movie gets retconned (including Rey not being related to someone important Angry ), every time a character does something interesting they immediately kill him/her off, there’s an insane amount of asspulls in making people miraculously survive some events, and the pacing for the second half of the film is so high that it should have been at least half an hour longer just to add a bit more gravitas to the events. That and the giant space battle is a convoluted mess with no sense of direction whatsoever…

That said, is it a bad film? No, not by any means. It’s still fun, there’s quite a few laughs and epic moments, and some of the cast are having a blast hamming it up (you just gotta love Richard E. Grant here, as well as Ian McDiarmid who’s as over the top as ever).
But the film just completely rubs me the wrong way after I loved The Last Jedi to bits…

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker - 3/5

I have to agree completely. I really didn’t like this movie at all. Makes the Last Jedi look like a master piece of film making.

Lowest rated Star Wars movie of all time. Lower than Phantom Menace which is quite an achievement.

Heart

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top