• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The age of VR is starting

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I have done Occulus Quest 2. Not impressed. The lack of cinema mode and you can’t watch movies are deal breakers for me. Also, ~90° diagonal FOV is smaller than PSVR’s FOV of 100.

I love watching Blu Ray 3D movies in my PSVR. Wonderful.

FINALLY, requiring a Facebook account is a deal breaker for many also.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 58

Joined 2009-11-05

PM

Adv_Lvr - 13 November 2020 11:23 AM

I have done Occulus Quest 2. Not impressed. The lack of cinema mode and you can’t watch movies are deal breakers for me.

You totally can watch movies on it though, that’s one of the best use cases for it in fact. Just download BigScreen for free and you’re good to go. It has a lot of environments to choose from, not just different cinema types. There’s also an option to rent movies and the quality of both their streams and the screen makes it an excellent way to watch 3D movies. You can also copy movies over to Quest 2 from your PC and watch that way. Also, the stock cloth strap is actually a plus in this case since you can just lie down with it and watch movies in your bed.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

One thing I love about PlayStation is I can stream games to my IPad for free and play them remotely.

I am in a bar right now playing PlayStation on my iPad for free.

For movies, I have a huge collection of Blu Ray 3D disks and I love watching them on PSVR - you have to experience this.

Also, in cinema mode I can play Any PS4 game. I am loving it.

Heart

And NO Facebook account required.

Cool

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 216

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Fair enough. Different strokes for different folks Smile

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I update my hardware every six years, I got a PSPro in 2016, and I just love it. For 2022, I’ll look at Alienware with a Headset and Occulus Quest instead of a PS5 and the best system wins.

For 2016,  PSPro with PSVR was the winner. But times change.

Heart

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

I’m really interested to see where Sony will take PSVR 2 (hopefully there will be one). I could see them going wireless, with inside out tracking and higher res while keeping 120hz. This would be quite an upgrade.

Btw, I just finished Red Matter on Quest2. Really recommend that one. Classic adventure game, with gripping story that makes you guess till the very end and with great use of tactile interactions. Was really impressed how they achieved feeling of weight and resistance when interacting with the world.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I just finished Iron Man VR - the most amazing VR experience I have had so far. There are plenty of PSVR games to keep me out of trouble for the next two years, then we’ll see. We could see some new VR systems get released that blow everyone into the woods.

Heart

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

PSVR for the PS5 has been announced, looks like Sony is staying in the game after all. So many great VR systems for sale, so little time to play them all.

Heart

Total Posts: 36

Joined 2020-08-13

PM

I’ve got the Oculus Quest 1 and I don’t play it too often because ooooof is that thing uncomfortable and there aren’t a TON of games…

So, is the Oculus 2 worth upgrading to? Or are those problems still kinda present, and it might be worth sticking with what I have and waiting a few years for Oculus Quest *3* to show up?

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

mattaukamp - 10 March 2021 10:01 AM

I’ve got the Oculus Quest 1 and I don’t play it too often because ooooof is that thing uncomfortable and there aren’t a TON of games…

So, is the Oculus 2 worth upgrading to? Or are those problems still kinda present, and it might be worth sticking with what I have and waiting a few years for Oculus Quest *3* to show up?

I’ll put it this way: stock Quest 2 is better comfort wise than Quest 1, but not miles better. It’s a bit less heavy and it’s smaller, so it doesn’t pull down on face as much as the first one.

To make it more comfortable I had to invest in Elite Strap, VR Cover facial interface and VR Cover for back of the Elite strap. With those mods I can say it’s now one of the most comfortable headsets I’ve tried. It’s still a heavy box, but much easier to wear.

I must mentioned, I tried to heavily mod Quest 1 as well, but no matter what I did, I couldn’t squeeze more than 20-30 minutes with that heavy box on my face.

If you are prepared to invest in those accessories, than I’d say it’s worth to upgrade to Quest 2 for comfort alone.
I must say other improvements are worth it too. Especially lack of SDE and 90hz (and soon 120hz) mode. Hands tracking (without controllers is also greatly improved.

I do hope Quest 3 will continue the trend of making hmds smaller and more comfortable. Comfort is the biggest problem of current hmds.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Comfort is the biggest problem of current hmds.

I actually find my PSVR to be very comfortable out of the box and I can play it for hours at a time.

Heart

Total Posts: 58

Joined 2009-11-05

PM

Adv_Lvr - 10 March 2021 06:47 PM

Comfort is the biggest problem of current hmds.

I actually find my PSVR to be very comfortable out of the box and I can play it for hours at a time.

Heart

Agreed, I’ve tried quite a few headsets now and PSVR is still the most comfortable one out of them all. It’s light and even that non-existent weight is distributed in a way that you basically don’t notice wearing anything at all.

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Agree. PSVR comfort is fantastic. I really hope PSVR 2 will take comfort even further while adopting some much needed improvements like inside out tracking and hopefully wireless option. Along with higher res, of course.

Going by Sony’s investments in VR so far I’m pretty sure PSVR2 will be a huge success.
I’ll actually consider getting PS5 once PSVR2 will be out (I skipped PS4).

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

All the systems out now are great. I bought an Alienware computer and TWO headsets and yes, got a Facebook account. Still in the box however because PSVR still rocks. I just have to try it real soon. Then we’ll see about PS5 VR, good thing it’s a 2022 release. Can’t find a PS5 right now any way.

Heart

Total Posts: 42

Joined 2013-11-17

PM

I got myself the Quest 2 for Christmas (also to have something to do during lockdown) and I have to say I like it. Of course it’s my first VR thing, so I lack the comparison.

I have to say I’m super intrigued by the potential of VR for adventure games. It’s pretty clear to me that VR is still in this figuring out phase and I feel like adventure games kind of thrive in that sort of situation where the medium hasn’t really figured out how do action best. So slower more narrative games have a chance to stick out and feel more polished.

The downside of VR of course being that so far it often skews towards shorter experiences (and even aside from battery life, I have to admit I rarely like playing more than 1, maybe 1,5 hours at a time in VR).

That said, I’ve been really impressed by some of the shorter, free experiences on PC.

If you have the space, I LOVE the true locomation games, particularly
- Eye of the Temple
- Spellbound Spire

And if you enjoy the sort of “interact with a crime scene, pay it forwards and backwards and investigate clues” style there are three pretty polished ones:
- Blade Runner 2049 Memory Lab
- Quanero 1 and 2

I haven’t really taken a dive into the various escape room style games, but I heard there are quite a few decent free ones.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top