• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

IronCretin

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Controller for PC - and possibly for an XBox/Playstation

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Following a conversation regarding Broken Sword 3 it was recommended that a controller would be better than mouse/keyboard. I’ve never used a controller in all my rather long computer days so I think it’s best that I asked for advice as to what controller would be the most appropriate.

Firstly it should be kept in mind that I’m rather large being 6’ 6” and 16 stone so my hands are pretty large. I’ve taken a preliminary look at prices and was pleased to see that they seemed to be pretty reasonable so, for the moment anyway, price needn’t be worried about.

Edited to add: I have a damaged right thumb (I’m right handed) with the middle joint fused with no movement and the base joint semi-fused with about 50% movement. Also, the middle finger of the left hand has it’s top joint totally fused so no movement there. I have no idea if that makes using a controller more difficult or will have no impact whatsoever.

Secondly, as per the title, I’m thinking about purchasing an Xbox or PlayStation - somewhat to my surprise actually. Mainly due to the controller but I’ve also just been setting up my TV to view films, photos, music that are stored on my PC and it occurred to me that having a 4K, 55” TV it could be useful for some games. As the PC is upstairs (and paired with a very good monitor) and the TV downstairs a console seemed to be something to think about.

Therefore, if possible, a controller that could be used on either would be useful, if it’s possible of course. As I freely acknowledge that I have no clue whatsoever about consoles Smile it would be nice if recommendations there were forthcoming. I only play Adventure Games (plus some of the near games - Painscreek, Edith Finch etc.) so that needs to be kept in mind. I don’t object to buying from abroad but I’m resident in England so easier for me to purchase from within the UK.

Any advice greatly received Smile

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

I’ve just been holding a controller while reading your description of your hands and I don’t foresee a problem with the middle fingers, however, the right thumb is used heavily.  The pad of your right thumb is used to control the right stick as well as four other buttons next to it.

I use the Xbox One for Windows kit and it’s quite large so it would probably be perfect for you from that standpoint.  It is a little pricey but I’m sure there are similar and less extortionate options if you find the price offensive.

This is the one you’d want as it needs its own dongle and can’t be hooked directly up to an existing Bluetooth device (thanks Microsoft Tongue).
http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7497465

The wired version is half that price if you don’t mind plugging it into your computer.

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Agree with everything dumbeur said (I have the same one), and I’m not even sure the thumb will be a problem. It’s true that you’ll need it extensively, but not with a lot of (or any) joint action. If you can waggle your thumb around at its base, you should be fine for using the right controller stick.

Really, though, you could go into any decent game store and they should have an Xbox controller on display if you want to be sure before ordering.

Having said all that, if I were going to buy a console (I used to keep up, but haven’t with the current gen systems), I’d personally go with the PS4.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Many thanks Dumbeur and Jackal. As always, follow up questions Smile

The Microsoft controller would appear to fit the bill and, as it’s recommended by both of you, I’ll most likely purchase it. But Tongue

Obviously this would work on both Windows 10 and the Xbox One. However, Jackal suggests a PlayStation would be the better idea for a console. Would the Microsoft controller work with the Sony console?

If no, then would the controller that came with a PlayStation be of any use to me or would I need to look to purchase another one - something I wouldn’t be too keen on as I’m not sure how much use the console would get. I don’t mind spending the money but I’m not keen on wasting it.

As far as my hand damage goes I’m just going to have to suck it and see. The fully fused thumb joint is fused at an inward angle of around 20 degrees above flat (i.e. around 290 degrees) so this may work. If it doesn’t - well it doesn’t Meh
I won’t be looking to purchasing a console until next February when I’m cancelling my Sky contract (a complete waste of money) so I’ll know if the controller is viable or not long before.

General question next. I take it that console connectivity is via HDMI? I do have a USB 2.0 port on the TV but HDMI would be much the preferred connection, for video quality if nothing else.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

No problem, Jabod.

As always, there appears to be a solution Smile
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gam3Gear-Converter-Gaming-Adapter-Keychain/dp/B01GDVGQ48/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_63_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=7PRQC45X27DFYY26JKE9

Although I recently dumped my PS4 and then accidentally bought an XBONE, that’s a personal thing and I think PS4 is probably superior for adventure gamers (David Cage exclusives for example).  HDMI is the standard connection on PS4.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I use the wired XBOX 360 controller for PC and it works great for both new and old games. How good is the XBOX one controller for old games? As far as console, this generation I highly recommend a PS4 ov,er XBOX One. It has better exclusives and almost every single game on XBOX One is available for PC wheras Sony exclusives usually never make it to the PC.

HDMI is the standard for all consoles.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Cheers Dumbeur (again Smile ) and SoccerDude.

The converter seems to be ok but for one thing. It’s bloody pink! Hopefully, if I go that route, when I purchase there will be a choice of colours Smile

Now then, Xbox One or PS4?

I think I need to supply a few more details so that I can be better advised.
The only reason I thought of this was the conflation of 3 things.
Firstly the setting up of movies etc. to be played on my TV but stored on my PC.
Secondly Dumbeur recommending a Microsoft controller when I enquired about controllers.
Thirdly the realisation that my TV (a 4K, 55” one) should suit the addition of a console (inspired by point 2).

I am not looking to play older games via a console. My PC suits perfectly for that. I was more thinking about playing graphics heavy games. The likes of Painscreek Killings, Tesla Effect, Ethan Carter and the like. The level of graphics that the TV will/should display well. Exclusives aren’t a serious consideration. I have no interest in games like Heavy Rain, Two Souls and their ilk. Knowing my luck though the moment (if) I get a console an exclusive will be released on what I don’t choose that I really want to play Grin

I’m in no rush on this because, as I said, I’ll not be doing anything until early next year, if at all so, if anyone is aware of a new version of a console coming down the line I’d be pleased to hear about it.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Jabod - 18 July 2018 06:04 AM

I think I need to supply a few more details so that I can be better advised.
The only reason I thought of this was the conflation of 3 things.
Firstly the setting up of movies etc. to be played on my TV but stored on my PC.
Secondly Dumbeur recommending a Microsoft controller when I enquired about controllers.
Thirdly the realisation that my TV (a 4K, 55” one) should suit the addition of a console (inspired by point 2).

I am not looking to play older games via a console. My PC suits perfectly for that. I was more thinking about playing graphics heavy games. The likes of Painscreek Killings, Tesla Effect, Ethan Carter and the like. The level of graphics that the TV will/should display well. Exclusives aren’t a serious consideration. I have no interest in games like Heavy Rain, Two Souls and their ilk. Knowing my luck though the moment (if) I get a console an exclusive will be released on what I don’t choose that I really want to play Grin

I’m in no rush on this because, as I said, I’ll not be doing anything until early next year, if at all so, if anyone is aware of a new version of a console coming down the line I’d be pleased to hear about it.

Hi Jabod. Based on the games you want to play, I advise against buying any console. Both Playstation and XBOX have two versions of their consoles: a 1080p one and a 4K one. PS4 pro (the 4K playstation) costs $400 and XBOX One X(the 4K XBOX) costs $500. The XBOX One X has better hardware than the PS4 pro and it is faster, but the problem is that it lacks the games that take advantage of such horsepower.

The reason why I advise you against buying either is because outside of all the PC ports, I can name only a couple of adventure games on Playstation that you can’t play on PC: Detroit: Become Human, Heavy Rain, Beyond Two Souls and Until Dawn. These are the types of games you mentioned you weren’t into (QTE heavy, puzzle light, branching storyline). For the AG games that are available on the PC, there are a handful of those on Playstation(and less of them on XBOX) like:The Book of Unwritten Tales 2, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Broken Sword 5, Day of the Tentacle Remastered, Grim Fandango Remastered, The Journey Down, Deponia etc.. These are either:
A- not the graphics powerhouses that will stun you in 4K or
B- might not even support 4K.

People tend to buy these 4K consoles for the AAA games and the console exclusives that look stunning in 4K(on PS4 for example God of War or Horizon:Zero Dawn), but almost all of these games tend to be in other genres like the action/adventure, shooter or RPG genres. It is like buying a Ferrari but only driving it on 30 MPH roads.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Have you considered a Steam link? It allows you to stream games from your PC (through Steam) to your TV. I bought one a few years ago instead of a PS4 and haven’t regretted it.

The downside is that it uses a wired Xbox controller. I can’t remember now why it needed to be wired but it means the couch has to be close enough to the Steam link that your cord will reach.

(You can use other controllers with the Steam link that may or may not be wireless, I’m not sure. I like the Xbox controller because most PC games that have controller support can use it without any special setup.)

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

SoccerDude - Thanks for that and I have to say that seems to fit in with my own (somewhat uneducated) view on AGs on consoles. Most of what little I know comes from reading posts here on the forums but it does fit in with what you’ve written. For now the console goes on hold unless/until “proper” AGs start appearing - which they may as some are starting to push the graphics - and I can think about what to buy. In the meantime I’ll purchase the controller recommended by both Dumbeur and Jackal if for no other reason than giving BS 3 another go plus I’ll then know if I can use of the things Grin

Fov - interesting concept which I’d never heard of. It wouldn’t work for me for two main reasons:

I’d have to be too close to the TV with a wired controller and
It appears, not unreasonably, that it only works with Steam games and I don’t like Steam. I do have an account with 3 games owned (Painscreek, Life Is Strange and Tesla Effect) but over on GoG I have in excess of 100 and I’m not about to shift Smile
But thanks for the thought and it’s quite possible that others will have read here who also knew nothing about Steam Connect and for them it is a viable option.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Jabod - 20 July 2018 09:56 AM

Fov - interesting concept which I’d never heard of. It wouldn’t work for me for two main reasons:

I’d have to be too close to the TV with a wired controller and
It appears, not unreasonably, that it only works with Steam games and I don’t like Steam. I do have an account with 3 games owned (Painscreek, Life Is Strange and Tesla Effect) but over on GoG I have in excess of 100 and I’m not about to shift Smile
But thanks for the thought and it’s quite possible that others will have read here who also knew nothing about Steam Connect and for them it is a viable option.

I have Steam link and it is pretty cool. You can either stream wirelessly from your PC to your TV, or preferably connect your PC with a lan wire to the Steam link to reduce lag.

You are incorrect that it only works on Steam games Tongue. You need Steam to be running that is true, but Steam supports adding external programs as shortcuts to your steam library. These could be GOG games. Once you add the shortcut to Steam, you just launch it and play it on your TV through Steam link. I have played many GOG games using Steam link before.

As far as controllers for Steam link, I either use my XBOX 360 wired controller connected to Steam link(which is my preferable way to play), but another option is to use Valve’s wireless Steam controller.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/353370/Steam_Controller/

You can read more about it, but it is very configurable and you can even map mouse functionality to the controller trackpads. I do not have a wireless XBOX one controller so I don’t know if it would work with Steam link, but in theory, I don’t see why it shouldn’t.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I have Steam link and it works great and not just with Steam like Soccerdude said. It does have to be wired and not just over wifi no not have any slowdowns in games.

As for controllers I have the Steam controller but don’t like it at all. I use the wireless Dualshock PS4 controller and works great.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Thanks again to SD plus thanks also to Wilco.

What I’ve decided to do following the help/advice/assistance offered by you all is:

To go with the Microsoft controller as suggested by Dumbeur and Jackal. I’ll give it a try on BS3 (where we came in via a different thread) as I’ve recently replayed BS1 and BS2 from the Revolution 25th Anniversary collection. I was going to ignore BS3 and I started on BS4 - made all the more attractive as I realised I’d never played the game Gasp If I can’t get on with the controller for any reason (most likely due to the damage to my hands but I am hopeful I’ll be ok) then what follows won’t happen.

Given what’s been said I won’t go for a console of any type but will seriously consider the Steam Connect option. The biggest problem for me is that I don’t like allowing access to any of my kit to outside companies, and an access I have no control over. I’ve learned a lot in my IT career (started out in 1971) and I’ve long since kept as near total control over all my kit as I possibly can. But, I have to say, the concept sounds intriguing and I’d like to see if I can get it to work properly. The intellectual challenge sounds fun (not that appears to be much to it from what’s been said) and it’s something I can pass on when/if people ask me a similar question in RL. As I’m sure any of you who also work in IT will agree, people like us are always the first port of call for friends and neighbours for PC related questions Smile

Thanks to everyone who took the time to pass on advice and ideas, it’s really appreciated and I’ll update the thread when I’ve acquired the controller. If everything goes to plan it will be part of a bigger order from Amazon the middle of next week (primarily a Freesat box).

Life is what it is.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

I now have the Xbox Controller with the wireless adaptor for Windows 10. Smile

No instructions with it whatsoever apart from an idiots guide in how to plug in the adaptor and switch the controller on. That’s it.  Frown

Loaded up BS3 and went to the controls menu but there’s nothing there for controller support. I’m obviously missing something, probably due to a combination of stupidity and lack of controller knowledge/experience. Can anyone recommend an idiots guide to setting up and using a controller pleased? Don’t care about how basic it is as I certainly won’t be offended even if it’s aimed at 5 year-olds Smile

Life is what it is.

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Jabod - 28 July 2018 09:01 AM

I now have the Xbox Controller with the wireless adaptor for Windows 10. Smile

No instructions with it whatsoever apart from an idiots guide in how to plug in the adaptor and switch the controller on. That’s it.  Frown

Loaded up BS3 and went to the controls menu but there’s nothing there for controller support. I’m obviously missing something, probably due to a combination of stupidity and lack of controller knowledge/experience. Can anyone recommend an idiots guide to setting up and using a controller pleased? Don’t care about how basic it is as I certainly won’t be offended even if it’s aimed at 5 year-olds Smile

Typically it is plug and play and you just need to select controller from the game options. BS3 though is a fairly old game which came out right during the period when controllers were becoming popular on the PC, so its implementation of controller support has not aged well it seems. There are some software you can download which allow you to create keyboard/mouse mappings to controller buttons and thumbsticks, so you can make every game compatible with a controller.

Edit: I just tried to set up BS3 with my XBOX wired controller and it works though it is a little crude. You need to go to Options menu, Controls menu, Set movement controls. You press the right keyboard button couple times till you get your controller. After you set up this part, you need to go back to the Controls menu and map the rest of the actions to your controller buttons. I map the inventory next/previous to the shoulder buttons, the action buttons to the 4 face buttons(A,B,Y,X), crawl to R3 (clicking on your right thumbstick), run to L3(clicking on your left thumbstick), inventory to back button and escape to start button. Again with newer games like The Walking Dead for instance, all this would be done for you automatically and you just plug and play. This is cumbersome here because it is a fairly old game.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

SoccerDude - 28 July 2018 02:23 PM

Typically it is plug and play and you just need to select controller from the game options. BS3 though is a fairly old game which came out right during the period when controllers were becoming popular on the PC, so its implementation of controller support has not aged well it seems. There are some software you can download which allow you to create keyboard/mouse mappings to controller buttons and thumbsticks, so you can make every game compatible with a controller.

Edit: I just tried to set up BS3 with my XBOX wired controller and it works though it is a little crude. You need to go to Options menu, Controls menu, Set movement controls. You press the right keyboard button couple times till you get your controller. After you set up this part, you need to go back to the Controls menu and map the rest of the actions to your controller buttons. I map the inventory next/previous to the shoulder buttons, the action buttons to the 4 face buttons(A,B,Y,X), crawl to R3 (clicking on your right thumbstick), run to L3(clicking on your left thumbstick), inventory to back button and escape to start button. Again with newer games like The Walking Dead for instance, all this would be done for you automatically and you just plug and play. This is cumbersome here because it is a fairly old game.

Cheers SD.
I’d been doing a little research on this and discovered the possibility of mapping (I had seen reference to it over the years but paid no attention as I had no intention of having a controller Smile ) but it seems like a right pain in the jacksy doing that for every game that I wanted to use a controller for.
However, I did come across software (pretty cheap as well) that does it for you - to an extent. The two most popular, it would appear, are Pinnacle Game Profiler (PGP) and XPadder. I’m tempted towards PGP as there are many profiles already created and available (and free!) for quite a number of AGs which makes life easier. Have you, or anyone else willing to pass an opinion, used either? I have come across some reviews that say PGP suffers from some latency problems attributed to translating between the profile and the game but these, and the XPadder reviews I’ve read, are fairly elderly being 3, 4 or 5 years old.

Life is what it is.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top