• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

KeybordzSpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What are you reading?

Total Posts: 97

Joined 2011-03-06

PM

Now reading “Shalimar the Clown” by Salman Rushdie.

Recently finished “The Hunger Games” trilogy. The first two started slow for me but then got fun at the end. The last one I didn’t like at all. I could have done without reading these - maybe the movie is better.

Also “The Lacuna” by Barbara Kingsolver, which I enjoyed quite a bit. Definitely my favorite of her novels.

Currently Playing: The Testament of Sherlock Holmes;
Currently Re-Playing: Culpa Innata

Recently Finished: Secret Files: Puritas Cordis, Art of Murder: Hunt for the Puppeteer, Dear Esther

Joined 2011-03-06

PM

And Millenia, THANK YOU for mentioning Goodreads. I’ve been looking for a website like that for ages!

Recently Finished: Secret Files: Puritas Cordis, Art of Murder: Hunt for the Puppeteer, Dear Esther

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

There is also Library Thing http://www.librarything.com

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2011-03-06

PM

Lucien21 - 11 July 2012 04:09 PM

There is also Library Thing http://www.librarything.com

Great, thanks!

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Just finished The Long Earth, by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter.

Fucking marvellous.
Can’t recall the last time a science fiction story proposed something unique enough to make me think.

In the very near future, a discovery is revealed that opens up an infinite number of universes only they are, to the best of our knowledge, uninhibited by man or man like creatures.  Infinite land, infinite resources, and within the reach of nearly anyone with a potato and a few bits of household electronics.  Life as we know it is over.

The story unfolds beautifully, with a real sense of discovery.  The nearest comparison that constantly came to mind is the Alderbaran series of graphic novels. Captivatingly simple exploration of complex ideas. A sense of wonder at the infinite evolutionary differences and similarities that could occur.

As the first book in a planned series this one is all about setting up the dominoes, and hinting at what can knock them over.

Total Posts: 165

Joined 2004-12-30

PM

Oooh, this is the first I’ve heard of that.
Thanks, Crunchy in Milk, for the head’s up!

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2011-06-17

PM

I’ve been reading the Davinci Code . I found it really interesting. The story is about secrets of Davinci’paintings ,catholic church and some murders which is narrated so exciting that you can’t stop reading it.
The author ( Dan Brown)has a magnificent ability and I’m going to read the rest of his books.

Total Posts: 54

Joined 2004-10-07

PM

I’m reading an excellent and very special book which I discovered (and helped fund) through Kickstarter. It’s called “And Then I Tought I Was a Fish” (And here is the Kickstarter page). It’s about the author when he spent three months completely out of his mind (as in: insane). It is very different, but very interesting. I can highly recommend it.

For now, it will only be available as ebook for most people, but I hope that he will be able to start a second print run, and maybe even get some more attention (he’s doing the standard procedure of sending books to some critics).

- Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

- “esc(x) cot(x) dx = -csc(x)!” Dennis added, and the wizard’s robe caught on fire. “Gosh,” Dennis said, “and some people say higher math isn’t relevant.”

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I was interested about The Long Earth earlier. I will have to see if I can lend it from library or something. It’s rather new right?

My books finally came Smile But I have to read a few library books first so I can start returning them.

I was one evening away and my son already managed to wet two library books. The fault was really my fiance’s who left a glass of water on my nightstand (which is full of books and not meant for food) and then he didn’t even check the books after my son tipped over the glass. Angry

So now I will have to see if I need to buy more books or if these are still good enough for library circulation.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 360

Joined 2006-01-12

PM

Lady Kestrel - 10 July 2012 02:28 PM

I’ll be anxious to see what you think of it when you get back from your trip.  Have a good time!

Smile The Gargoyole is indeed a novel to my taste! I love the story and all the stories within the story. It kept me reading constantly which was a real pleasure lying in the shade by the sea, sipping Turkish coffee or even a cold beer. Smile

About Eco’s The Prague Cemetary, I’ve put it on hold. I just can’t make it to the end it’s so utterly, unnecessary wordy. I don’t enjoy it a bit anymore!
I’m currently reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett (Although my translated copy is called Niceville like the movie. I don’t know why.)It’s interesting and gripping, well writen the way it at times tells the same event from different perspective. I’m somewhere in the middle and enjoying it a lot. Smile

Lazy Bee
Temporary guest in your life.

Total Posts: 32

Joined 2005-07-01

PM

Just finished reading Night Shift by Stephen King and have The Dark Elf Trilogy by R.A. Salvatore sitting on my desk waiting to be read.  I’m waiting for the new Lee Child book A Wanted Man to come out in September.  Highly disappointed they got Tom Cruise to play Reacher in the upcoming movie, but at least I won’t be forced to watch it!  Also have Jacked: The Outlaw Story of Grand Theft Auto on hold at the library, I hope its as good as Masters of Doom was.

“When government surveillance and intimidation is called “freedom from terrorism” or “liberation from crime”, freedom and liberty have become words without meanings.”
~ Chad Dumier, “Deus Ex”

The Adventure Game Enthusiast

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Jelena,
I’m glad you liked The Gargoyle.  It was a one I bought on a whim and was really glad I did.  I read The Help with my book group last year, and we had a lively discussion about it.  I have the movie but haven’t watched it yet.

Jaderaksha,
I have Carol King’s bio but haven’t started it yet.  Stephen King’s Dark Tower prequel is ahead of it in my get-to-soon pile.

I’m currently reading The Yoga Mamas by Katherine Stewart.  It’s a funny and sometimes touching book about a group of pregnant women who meet in a yoga class and become friends.  It reminds me of Thayer’s Hot Flash Club series, only for the moms-to-be set.  Definitely chick lit, but loads of fun.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2009-07-30

PM

“Odd Apocalypse” by Dean Koontz, the fifth book in his “Odd Thomas” series.

I put “The Unfixed Stars” by Michael Byers on hold for this (it’s known as “Percival’s Planet” in the US.

Also reading “River in the Sea” by Tina Boscha on my Kindle.

Finished: Assassin’s Creed 2 (PS3)
Playing now: Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood (PS3), The Longest Journey (PC)
To continue: So Blonde (PC), Silent Hill Homecoming (PS3)

Total Posts: 360

Joined 2006-01-12

PM

Just finished Coraline by Neil Gaiman. It’s a pleasantly creepy children’s short story. Tsa lent it to me after my request for easy-to-digest novels for my vacation. Since I scare easily it was just the right degree of horror in order to still be able to sleep at night. Wink

Now I’m eagerly waiting for Kate Mosse’s third book in the Labyrinth trilogy. It’s out in fall 2012.

Lazy Bee
Temporary guest in your life.

Total Posts: 105

Joined 2012-08-05

PM

I’m currently reading Physics of the Impossible by Michio Kaku. Some of it is a little beyond my layman’s understand of physics, but it’s still a great read.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top