• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieDalefurgottenIronCretinJdawg445kanaifurtrooneywalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

I Wrote A Book

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2006-06-23

PM

There aren’t a lot of us on these forums, but there are a few of us AGers who have written and even published one or more books, and I thought it would be nice to start a thread so we can talk about them. I don’t want folks to think I’m just spamming, so I’m going to talk a little about my book, too.

You see, I have some news. My news is, I just put my novel, Terminal Monday, up for print-on-demand today. This is a pretty big deal for me, even though I never really planned on having this novel in print, simply because it’s so long and coarse and personal.

Terminal Monday is a novel about a guy who goes through a painful marriage separation, a series of ill-advised sexual encounters, a bad writing gig and a mental breakdown, only to arrive at the other end of the tunnel as a musician… with a twist.

I wrote the novel over a period of three years, though added up, it was more like four months. It’s a very personal novel, though it’s NOT an autobiography. And it’s now available in print.

But for those who aren’t prepared to shell out that kind of money, here’s the ebook.

Thanks, gang. Your turn.

Lee Edward McIlmoyle,
Probably NOT the kind of guy you think he is.

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2006-06-19

PM

Lee in Limbo - 27 June 2012 08:57 AM

There aren’t a lot of us on these forums, but there are a few of us AGers who have written and even published one or more books, and I thought it would be nice to start a thread so we can talk about them. I don’t want folks to think I’m just spamming, so I’m going to talk a little about my book, too.

You see, I have some news. My news is, I just put my novel, Terminal Monday, up for print-on-demand today. This is a pretty big deal for me, even though I never really planned on having this novel in print, simply because it’s so long and coarse and personal.

Terminal Monday is a novel about a guy who goes through a painful marriage separation, a series of ill-advised sexual encounters, a bad writing gig and a mental breakdown, only to arrive at the other end of the tunnel as a musician… with a twist.

I wrote the novel over a period of three years, though added up, it was more like four months. It’s a very personal novel, though it’s NOT an autobiography. And it’s now available in print.

But for those who aren’t prepared to shell out that kind of money, here’s the ebook.

Thanks, gang. Your turn.

Wow … congratulations, Lee! That is very awesome. I read a little of your bio and see that you say it took “three weeks” to write the book whereas here you say “three years” which makes a little more sense to me. Maybe I’m misunderstanding. Anyway, remembering all your exceptional thoughtful responses and thoughts about the games you/we have played over the years (hope they are still here somewhere in the archives!) I have no doubt your book is very well written and intriguing!

Life is a riddle waiting to be solved.

Joined 2006-06-23

PM

AprilLives - 27 June 2012 10:13 AM

Wow … congratulations, Lee! That is very awesome. I read a little of your bio and see that you say it took “three weeks” to write the book whereas here you say “three years” which makes a little more sense to me. Maybe I’m misunderstanding. Anyway, remembering all your exceptional thoughtful responses and thoughts about the games you/we have played over the years (hope they are still here somewhere in the archives!) I have no doubt your book is very well written and intriguing!

Ah yeah, the bio. Well, it’s intended as comedy from start to finish, simply because I’ve been writing for most of my life (I’m 41), but I’m only just getting my writing (self-) published now. I just wanted people to have a chuckle, rather than try to impress them with accolades I don’t have. There’s a grain of truth in there, but it’s largely just me being silly. I also used a bit of bio material one of our fellow AGers wrote for me (FYI: Trunkyo).

The three weeks thing is just to make it sound like I’m one of those new writers who has no clue how long it takes to really write a novel or start a career.

Lee Edward McIlmoyle,

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2006-06-19

PM

Lee in Limbo - 27 June 2012 10:21 AM
AprilLives - 27 June 2012 10:13 AM

Ah yeah, the bio. Well, it’s intended as comedy from start to finish, simply because I’ve been writing for most of my life (I’m 41), but I’m only just getting my writing (self-) published now. I just wanted people to have a chuckle, rather than try to impress them with accolades I don’t have. There’s a grain of truth in there, but it’s largely just me being silly. I also used a bit of bio material one of our fellow AGers wrote for me (FYI: Trunkyo).

The three weeks thing is just to make it sound like I’m one of those new writers who has no clue how long it takes to really write a novel or start a career.

It sucks when you have to explain a joke. Sorry. Wishing you all the best with the book.  Smile

Life is a riddle waiting to be solved.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Huge congratulations! When I was younger I wanted to be a writer but that didn’t really take. I don’t have the time or the patience for it, I don’t even dabble anymore.

I’d like to read your book but I already have like 200 titles on my to-read list so I’m not going to even pretend to promise anything Tongue.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Thumbs Up  That’s exciting, Lee!  I just ordered Terminal Monday from CreateSpace and should get it by the end of July.  I’m looking forward to reading it.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2006-06-23

PM

AprilLives: It’s alright. It wasn’t that good a joke.

millenia: No problem. It’s not an easy read, so frankly, I don’t expect anyone to buy it. I’d like them to, but I’m not betting the farm on it. I think it’s a great book, but it’s got swearing and sex and drugs and sex and rock and roll and sex and lots and lots and LOTS of meta writing and did I mention sex?

Lady Kestrel: I hope it doesn’t offend or disappoint you. If it does, I truly apologize. It’s not an easy read. It’s just the novel that needed to be written at the time. I’ll probably never write another quite like it. I may write more novels about Richard Burley, but not about this story, I don’t think.

Lee Edward McIlmoyle,

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

There’s no need to apologize, Lee.  Having gone to college in the late 1960s, I’m not easily offended by much of anything, and I look forward to reading it.  By the way, it has already shipped, so I may get it in the next week or so.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 165

Joined 2004-12-30

PM

The mention of meta writing is definitely something that interests me. Might have to get it later, due to needing a break from the meta stuff I looked at for most of my last year of university.

Good luck, though! Writing is always something I’m interested in, but have never fully explored completely.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Lee,
I finished Terminal Monday last night, and I am awed by your story.  You made me care about your main character so very much, and that made the ending all the more poignant and powerful.  I also like the way you redirected me from any conclusions that cropped up along the way, but when the final picture was presented, I realized that it was all there in plain view.  It took me a long time to go to sleep last night because I kept turning the events over in my mind. 

You have a special gift for dialogue, Lee, and the entire story just flowed.  Even though Richard and I don’t have the same musical tastes, you captured well the good feelings of a group creating music together and the joy of playing and singing your heart out, which touched upon my good memories.  I also liked Richard’s stories and the clever ways you incorporated them into the main novel.  Yes, the sex was steamy and sometimes over the top, but it was part of the whole and necessary for the story you were telling.  It’s a compelling one that will stay with me for a long time.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2006-06-23

PM

Lady Kestrel,

I’m profoundly happy that you liked the book. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.

...I should probably add that this is not the last we’ll see of Richard. Even after 260,000 words, I find that Richard’s stories are far from over. Let’s hope it doesn’t take me three years to write the next one.

Lee Edward McIlmoyle,

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

You’re welcome, Lee, and thank you for a great read.  I was thinking that this was a stand-alone book, so I will be waiting to see what happens with Richard next time.  Good luck with it.  I’ll be waiting.    Smile

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2006-06-23

PM

Lady Kestrel - 16 July 2012 02:35 PM

I was thinking that this was a stand-alone book…

So was I, when I’d finished writing it. I wasn’t counting on Richard & co. telling me they weren’t done yet. I have rough notes for at least two more novels, and I’ve got two or three short stories featuring either Richard or Edwin, so far. Very frustrating when the cast won’t stop ad libbing, even after 260K.

I’ll try not to keep you waiting too long.

Lee Edward McIlmoyle,

Total Posts: 71

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

I just ordered the book. I’m curious.

Joined 2006-06-23

PM

Martin Gantefoehr - 16 July 2012 05:10 PM

I just ordered the book. I’m curious.

You know what they say about curiosity, don’t you? Wink

And thank you.

Lee Edward McIlmoyle,

Joined 2006-06-23

PM

Also, I swear to you all, this thread is intended for anyone who wants to talk about their own book. I’m not egotistical enough to want it to be all about Terminal Monday. I knew going in that it would be a little quiet, but I feel like I’m dominating the thread with my stuff… and a book I finished writing two years ago, at that. I’m more than willing to talk about the book if anyone wants me to answer questions, but I’d just as soon talk about someone else’s book as my own. Just saying.

Now I’m gonna go hide in a corner until I stop blushing furiously.

Lee Edward McIlmoyle,

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top