• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What are you reading?

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I love it, Lucien!  According to the list, I’m way beyond help now.  I’ll just have to live with it, I guess.  Wink

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 165

Joined 2004-12-30

PM

TimovieMan - 09 July 2012 02:20 PM

I’m currently re-reading House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski, one of my favourite books of all time.

I know we’ve talked about this a few times, but kudos again. Grin

Total Posts: 532

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

@Lucien21: I answered yes to fourteen of those questions. I may be saved! (though probably not)

Total Posts: 236

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Damn. Only 2-3 of those apply to me. Meh

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Lucien, only 2 off your list don’t apply. I never wanted to be a writer and most of my friends do not read much. I had a chuckle with the library books - a memory of standing in line trying to decide which book to leave behind.  Laughing
I might actually add to the list:
Obsessively following new release charts
Preordering books months in advance
Buying 2 or more copies of the same book in different formats
Collecting signed editions of favorite books
Using some kind of computer assistance to keep track of your reading and purchases.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I started using Goodreads this summer. Good way to keep track of your reading.

The new edition of Gaiman’s Stardust is really beautiful by the way. I love the book, a fairytale romance with some humour and oddities.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Stardust is a great story, Millenia, and the movie almost got everything right.  I love your new edition.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 360

Joined 2006-01-12

PM

In my search for some easy digested vacation literature for the trip to Turkey I’ve found the novel The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson. I’m also packing Niceville by Kathryn Stockett so I guess I’m all set for the beach/hammock/lounge/balcony. Smile

I used to be a member of Goodreads but cancelled the membership since I didn’t find the time to update my reading. I sometimes regret doing so.*shrugs*

Lazy Bee
Temporary guest in your life.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Oooo!  I think you’ll like The Gargoyle, Jelena.  It was an excellent and compulsive read for me.  It has a mysterious story that reminds me of Zafon’s books, especially The Angel’s Game.  I’ll be anxious to see what you think of it when you get back from your trip.  Have a good time!

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 89

Joined 2005-12-19

PM

Now reading:
“House of Leaves”—I’m halfway through, and though I appreciate the idea of the book, I’m offended by the unreadable stream of consciousness and its unnecessary complexity. Overall, it’s a book one would have fun talking about but not actually reading it. I doubt I’ll finish it anytime soon.
“American Psycho”—so far it’s better than the movie and an enjoyable read, even though I’m repulsed by the theme.

Recently finished:
“Golem XIV” (Lem)—this one could have made a nice philosophy treatise, but framed in a story about a super smart computer it seems somewhat ridiculous. Still recommended though.
“Surely You’re Joking, Mr Feynman”—fascinating and true stories told by a fascinating human being. I had a lot of fun with this one.
“Ender’s Game”—it’s not a good book, but it sure is a fun story. I wish I had read it as a teenager.
“11/22/63”—Stephen King as I knew him gloriously returns after a long time, this really is a beautiful tale. It weakens towards the end, but I still consider this one to be one of his best.

About to start:
“Mindfulness in Plain English” and “The Teachings of Don Juan”.

Total Posts: 360

Joined 2006-01-12

PM

Lady Kestrel - 10 July 2012 02:28 PM

Oooo!  I think you’ll like The Gargoyle, Jelena.  It was an excellent and compulsive read for me.  It has a mysterious story that reminds me of Zafon’s books, especially The Angel’s Game.  I’ll be anxious to see what you think of it when you get back from your trip.  Have a good time!

Perfect! Thumbs Up I’ve enjoyed Zafon’s novels tremendously. After having left the crime story swamp (as I call it) where I was stuck for years I’m now into mysterious stories, preferably with a twist in time. I’ll post my impressions when I get home. Smile

Lazy Bee
Temporary guest in your life.

Total Posts: 334

Joined 2003-10-16

PM

kuze - 10 July 2012 03:25 PM

“American Psycho”—so far it’s better than the movie and an enjoyable read, even though I’m repulsed by the theme.

The story relies so much on Bateman being an unreliable narrator (did he do these terrible things or is he just fantasising?) that I wasn’t surprised when it didn’t really work as a film. Good, if disturbing, book.

“Surely You’re Joking, Mr Feynman”—fascinating and true stories told by a fascinating human being. I had a lot of fun with this one.

Would second this. It is an incredible book from a keen mind.

“Ender’s Game”—it’s not a good book, but it sure is a fun story. I wish I had read it as a teenager.

I loved the concept in this one, though the execution isn’t all it could be.

No Nonsense Nonsonnets 44

Quest for Knowledge

I’m hoping to find name for game that I played long ago
The people here so well-informed, someone is sure to know
A time machine, grandfather clock, I give it to myself
Oh never mind, the box is sitting there upon my shelf

For real retro gaming nerds, name that game.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

I really enjoyed Enders Game, but the 20 odd books that came after it are stretching the concept a bit far.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

“House of Leaves”—I’m halfway through, and though I appreciate the idea of the book, I’m offended by the unreadable stream of consciousness and its unnecessary complexity. Overall, it’s a book one would have fun talking about but not actually reading it. I doubt I’ll finish it anytime soon.

I thought it was quite well written, above being an extraordinary exercise in non-conventionism.

There’s a paragraph in “House of Leaves” that I’ve quoted many times before, simply because I love the quote so much:
“Who has never killed an hour? Not casually or without thought, but carefully: a premeditated murder of minutes. The violence comes from a combination of giving up, not caring, and a resignation that getting past it is all you can hope to accomplish. So you kill the hour. You do not work, you do not read, you do not daydream. If you sleep it is not because you need to sleep. And when at last it is over, there is no evidence: no weapon, no blood, and no body. The only clue might be the shadows beneath your eyes or a terribly thin line near the corner of your mouth indicating something has been suffered, that in the privacy of your life you have lost something and the loss is too empty to share.”

I hated the overly descriptive nature of this book when I started it, but there was a point where that suddenly made sense… It took me a while to get past the three-page descriptions of the furniture in an appartment (or creams and oils in a bathroom, or a two-page review of a Huey Lewis and the News CD), but that insane level of description makes for compelling violence-scenes. Reading a description of over a full page long of a stabbed eyeball whose fluids leak on the victim’s face… that’s just horrible yet brilliant at the same time…

I’m a big fan of Orson Scott Card. I like his writing style, and I absolutely love the ideas he has. Ender’s Game is probably his most well-known work, but you should really check some of his short story collections, or the book “The Lost Boys”. Lost Boys is a bit like the film The Sixth Sense in terms of both story and atmosphere, but it was written ten years earlier…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Lucien21 - 11 July 2012 02:24 PM

I really enjoyed Enders Game, but the 20 odd books that came after it are stretching the concept a bit far.

I agree if you’re talking about the Ender’s Shadow books, but the actual Ender series takes quite a different turn after the first one. Speaker for the Dead and its two sequels aren’t even in the same genre as Ender’s Game and the Ender’s Shadow series, imo.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top