• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Becky

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What are you reading?

Total Posts: 49

Joined 2004-11-26

PM

Have you tried Arne Dahl? They’re brilliant reads imo. Really clever plotting and good characters. They also made a tv-series out of the first five books but I wouldn’t recommend it.

I will definitely check it out!

Resident science freak

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Recently finished Ready Player One. Good book overall if you love gaming.

Currently reading The Hunger Games and loving it.

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

SoccerDude28 - 27 November 2012 10:44 PM

Recently finished Ready Player One. Good book overall if you love gaming.

Did you solve the Easter Egg hidden in the book? Grin

(Edit): Although I see the DeLorean has already been won by someone…

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Cold Days - Jim Butcher

The 14th Dresden novel sees Harry Dresden, professional wizard, trying to come to terms with his new station in life.

However he has been given orders to do the impossible, kill an immortal. Can he do that while being hunted by enemies that seem to be coming from all sides.

Like the previos novels Harry gets put through the ringer in this book, escaping various scrapes and trying to figure out what the hell is going on and who is trying to kill him this week.

I enjoyed it. It’s exciting, funny and delves deeper into the mythos of the series. It really pushes forward in the overall narrative. Secrets behind the big powers of the series and the ultimate bad guy are sketched out, setting up the coming apocalyse and upping the stakes for future books.

4/5

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

The Map of Time by Félix J. Palma. Set in late 19th century it’s a story featuring stuff like steampunk, Jack the Ripper and time travel. Brilliantly written, has brilliant twists, it’s unpredictable, has some of the best narration I’ve read and the writer knows his stuff regarding Victorian England. Intelligent, exciting, funny… Definitely worth reading for everyone (because it has something for everyone). Hard to let go once you start Wink

One of the best I’ve read in a while.

In addition, I saw parts of all the LotR movies on TV, got a Tolkien bug and now I have been reading the Silmarillion, eyeing Lord of the Rings and just borrowed The Hobbit Grin

Total Posts: 360

Joined 2006-01-12

PM

The Map of Time sound like something I should read. Will check it out asap. Smile

Lazy Bee
Temporary guest in your life.

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Joyland - Stephen King

This is a weird one. A short Stephen King story published as a hard crime pulp novel.

However thie is more a typical King story than a crime novel. It’s more about a coming of age story, the protaganist looking back to the summer, he lost his first love and worked at an old time carnival called Joyland.

There are hints at the crime, of a ghost in the haunted house ride, a young girl brutally murdered and the killer who was never caught.

Strangly though those parts are a minimal part of the book and it it mostly wrapped up pretty quickly at the end with an obvious deus ex character.

Fortunatly if you ignore the fact that it is supposed to be a hard boiled crime story it is a decent king short novel. He paints a compelling and interesting view of working in this Joyland place, some decent characters and realistic dialogue.

2.5/5

Next up for King is the Sequel to The Shining called Doctor Sleep or you can watch Under the Dome the TV show which 3 episodes in isn’t as bad as I thought it would be

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 194

Joined 2008-09-23

PM

I am currently reading The Three Musketeers, but Alexandre Dumas. I like how, although it is a fairly old book, the pacing is rather fast. Most of the classics have a tendency to drag on, which is fine to some extent, but a more fast paced classic is very welcome every once in a while.

A prince it is? I see. And I am Lord of this dusty path!

Total Posts: 124

Joined 2013-08-10

PM

I’m reading “Carrie” right now. I’m late to the Stephen King party (horror isn’t my favorite, for the most part), and I started with the Dark Tower books (up through #4, ATM), but I see now why he made his mark with “Carrie.” It’s awesome.

K R Parkinson - Staff Writer

Contact: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

New Year resolution was to actually start reading again as I’ve let it lapse lately.

So I finished the book I had been procrastinating on.

NOS4A2 - Joe Hill

The book title is the registration number of a vintage Rolls Royce driven by one of the creepiest villians in a novel for a while. Charles Manx is a man of indeterminate age who for decades has been abducting children and taking them to Christmasland, a world of permentant joy and festive cheer.

Victoria McQueen has a special gift for finding things when on her bike and her mind is set on finding it.

This power gets her into big trouble as a child when she crosses paths with Manx and his car.

Years later she is still haunted by the events, but must use her powers again when her son is abducted by Manx.

They say the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree and this book is certainly reminicent of Hill’s spooky father. In fact It directly references the Dark Tower at one point.

Dark spooky and with some really good charactisation and snappy dialogue. This is well worth the read.

4/5

Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 405

Joined 2006-04-21

PM

Rereading Going Postal by Terry Pratchett in preparation for Raising Steam which I got for Xmas. Also partway through Lady Slings the Booze by Spider Robinson.

The real problem with reality is the lack of background music.

Knightette of the Order of the Caption

Music is what feelings sound like…

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2013-11-22

PM

I’ve been rereading a couple of books from when I was younger - Enid Blyton being one of the favourites.

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Republic of Thieves - Scott Lynch

Round about 2006-ish there started a groundswell of praise for a new author and a fantasy book that everyone was raving about. Lies of Locke Lamora was released in 2007 to instant praise. The first in a proposed 7 book series following the life of Locke Lamora and his crew of Gentleman Bastards, Orphans growing up in the island city of Camorr they learn from a young age to pick pockets and live on the street. He gets taken in by a priest and get trained in the art of the con, Now they are a group of audacious thieves and expert conmen. The first book was a thrilling heist book in the vein of Ocean Eleven, with its whitty banter, twists and turns, betrayal and action it thrilled readers.

The following year Red Seas under Red Skies proved lynch wasn’t a one hit wonder. This time the novel has the gang try and rob the most exclusive and heavily guarded gambling house in the world. This one is a bit less Oceans Elven and more “Pirates of the Caribbean” as they try and con themselves into a fortune.

Both books are thrilling rides with well drawn out main characters and snappy dialogue

Unfortunatly after that Scott Lynch suffers bouts of panic attacks and depression that constantly delayed the rest of the series, until now.

Republic of Thieves picks up right from the end of the last novel and dumps our heroes into the fray of another con, this time it’d political. Forced by the Bondmagi to play in one of their games, Locke and Jean are pitted against an old friend and Locke’s Long lost love Sabetha to rig a local election by any means necessary.

Like the previous books the story alternates between two time frames. In this one we get the present where they two sides pull silly pranks, bribe officials etc to gather votes for their side, and the past detailing how Locke and Sabetha first met and grew close while pulling a con posing as actors in a play called “The Republic of Thieves”.

While it’s great to get the insight into the characters with the backstory, it does suffer slightly from the fact that you are getting caught up with one particular storyline and then it shifts, only to get engrossed in that side and it shifts back. The Locke/Sabetha relationship is good read but can get a bit repetitive, and boggs down the middle of the book slightly. The present story is hampered by not really giving any consequences to the election storyline, both parties are ahving great fun trying to outdo each other with the scam, tricks etc. However you don’t ever get the impression they care who wins.

Overall though it is a worthy sequel if not quite the thrilling ride the first two were, but a deeper more personal novel. The first two books are stand alone heist stories, this one seems to more about settign the stage for what is coming next while delving into Locke’s character. With the next book in the series due this year or early 2015 i’m glad we won’t have another 6 years to wait to jump back into these characters.

4.5/5

Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Cheetos - 09 January 2014 10:57 AM

I’ve been rereading a couple of books from when I was younger - Enid Blyton being one of the favourites.

I like your thinking! I’m definitely counting the days until my girls are old enough for The Magic Faraway Tree, or the Wishing Chair (not long now) and to be frank, I might just re-read some of the Famous 5 books for myself!

Recently I have been re-reading (again) the Foundation series by Asimov and also wading through the second part of A Storm of Swords.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Wish I actually had proper time to read something, umm, recreationally again. Then again, I think I will miss this process of writing my Master’s when I’m done… In the few moments that I have to spare for reading, I’ve recently been reading A Study in Scarlet - the first Sherlock Holmes novel. I’ve actually never read any Holmeses, and thought it’s high time, so I figured I’d start from the beginning. Though I’m awaiting the later novels, when they’ve probably “grown” a bit. This one is still a bit simple.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top