• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

IronCretin

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Rant about Windows 10 Privacy and other stuff

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

I have Windows 10 Home but never seen or heard of Cortana.
Maybe it’s because I upgraded from 9?

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

SoccerDude28 - 14 December 2016 01:09 PM
tsa - 13 December 2016 03:42 PM

I have Win10 on my iMac (I only use it to run games that I can’t run natively in MacOS or using wine) and I don’t even know how to use Cortana. Does it listen to you all the time? Because then I have to find a way to switch off the microphone.

It’s the search field on your taskbar that you can use to search for stuff, either online or on your computer. It also sends you notifications about random things and recommends things to you. If you are not comfortable with Cortana running on your PC, howtogeek has an article about how to disable it:
http://www.howtogeek.com/265027/how-to-disable-cortana-in-windows-10/

but it involves registry editing so be careful.

That is neat, thank you!

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Origami - 14 December 2016 02:39 PM

I have Windows 10 Home but never seen or heard of Cortana.
Maybe it’s because I upgraded from 9?

You upgraded from Windows 7 or 8 I assume you meant? I also upgraded from Windows 7, and I have it. It’s like a big text box on your task bar. It looks something like this:

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2017-02-01

PM

This is so true, there are huge privacy issues with Windows and even more with Mac. That’s why Linux is the way forward right now for personal computers. https://www.1and1.com/digitalguide/server/know-how/linux-the-cost-effective-alternative-to-windows/?linkId=Results_linux this article is a basic intro but the bit about Linux distrubution is interesting and explains why it’s better than corrupt Windows! I have a Windows PC for gaming and a Linux for everything else.

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

yeehaw - 03 February 2017 11:30 AM

This is so true, there are huge privacy issues with Windows and even more with Mac. That’s why Linux is the way forward right now for personal computers. https://www.1and1.com/digitalguide/server/know-how/linux-the-cost-effective-alternative-to-windows/?linkId=Results_linux this article is a basic intro but the bit about Linux distrubution is interesting and explains why it’s better than corrupt Windows! I have a Windows PC for gaming and a Linux for everything else.

I mainly use pc’s for gaming, so linux is really not an option. Also linux need to take strides to make itself a viable alternative. Unless you are a computer wizz, Linux is just too complicated.

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2018-05-15

PM

Personally I’m quite satisfied with my Win 10. As to privacy, it always has been an issue and not only with Windows (quite often I get phone calls and emails from companies with hwo I never shared my personal info..probably got it from websites I registered at or FB,, don’t know for sure so won’t be speculating here). As to Windows Phone I used it at work for three years, versions 7.5 and 8.0. Loved it a lot more than Android and iOS, way more stable and consistent. Then MS decided to screw their app devs by turning off in-app and Store payments and, well, bang went that. I’m still trying to understand how a company that so completely dominates the PC space failed so hard at mobile.

cheers
engineering homework writer

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

al3c - 15 May 2018 06:45 AM

Personally I’m quite satisfied with my Win 10. As to privacy, it always has been an issue and not only with Windows (quite often I get phone calls and emails from companies with hwo I never shared my personal info..probably got it from websites I registered at or FB,, don’t know for sure so won’t be speculating here). As to Windows Phone I used it at work for three years, versions 7.5 and 8.0. Loved it a lot more than Android and iOS, way more stable and consistent. Then MS decided to screw their app devs by turning off in-app and Store payments and, well, bang went that. I’m still trying to understand how a company that so completely dominates the PC space failed so hard at mobile.

I think the difference with credit cards for example is that you have the right to opt out of sharing your information. It is screwed up that you are by default opted in, but you can change that. With Windows 10, you are by default opted in and you can not change that, unless you have the enterprise version (I.E. you are a company). What aggravates things is that the telemetry process in Win 10 is not efficient, and it slows down your computer (and your games if you are in the middle of playing a game).

As far as FB and others, that is why I don’t use them. It’s hard not using Windows at this point though, when there are no other good alternatives for PC gaming.

That being said, I have found a hack by deleting an executable that will stop the telemetry without crashing your system, but whenever MS does a major Windows update, they reinstall it. So I have to keep looking for it Pan

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top