• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoJdawg445Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Kathy rain directors cut

Total Posts: 87

Joined 2017-07-22

PM

I don’t mean to sound like an old timer but isn’t 4:3 essentially better in terms of composition? With widescreen you almost never have the screen so neatly filled as in the 4:3 counterpart. That said, I’ll be checking out the Kathy extension.

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2013-08-23

PM

Rewind - 10 May 2021 10:51 AM

I don’t mean to sound like an old timer but isn’t 4:3 essentially better in terms of composition? With widescreen you almost never have the screen so neatly filled as in the 4:3 counterpart. That said, I’ll be checking out the Kathy extension.

It’s the other way around, actually! If we’d stuck with 4:3, the vast majority of devices would have black bars on the sides.

However, since the original game was made in 4:3, we will still support it in the DC version. In fact, the game will crop any resolution narrower than 16:9 down to fit, and only wider aspects than 16:9 will have black bars.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Krusbert - 10 May 2021 11:51 AM
Rewind - 10 May 2021 10:51 AM

It’s the other way around, actually! If we’d stuck with 4:3, the vast majority of devices would have black bars on the sides.

However, since the original game was made in 4:3, we will still support it in the DC version. In fact, the game will crop any resolution narrower than 16:9 down to fit, and only wider aspects than 16:9 will have black bars.

I get that allot on PC games. You get used to the black bars on the side of older PC games. However, I’d rather not have them, it’s a real plus for your Kathy Rain Directors Cut.

Anyway, keep up with the updates, they are much appreciated.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2013-08-23

PM

Hello again, everyone!

I thought I’d let you all know that after much deliberation, we have decided to give a loyalty discount of -50% to all owners of the original Kathy Rain when purchasing the Director’s Cut. This discount is permanent and will combine with any other offers on the Director’s Cut, including a likely launch discount.

We also released a new teaser trailer where you can catch a brief little peek of some of the new content!

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Krusbert - 23 June 2021 10:32 AM

Hello again, everyone!

I thought I’d let you all know that after much deliberation, we have decided to give a loyalty discount of -50% to all owners of the original Kathy Rain when purchasing the Director’s Cut. This discount is permanent and will combine with any other offers on the Director’s Cut, including a likely launch discount.

We also released a new teaser trailer where you can catch a brief little peek of some of the new content!

That looks so awesome. Can’t wait to play it! We need a demo like this too, we can only hope!

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2013-08-23

PM

Hey, all! We have taken your feedback into account and just launched a new and improved version of the demo on Steam!

Unlike the previous version, this one contains extra story and gameplay segments that are unique to the Director’s Cut, including new VO with the original actors that we recorded this summer Smile This time, you can also play with a controller and in seven different languages.

Most of the content is still placed at the later parts of the game, but hopefully this demo will give you a little better taste of the improvements in the Director’s Cut:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1395030/Kathy_Rain_Directors_Cut/

Total Posts: 1620

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Krusbert - 25 August 2021 06:22 AM

Hey, all! We have taken your feedback into account and just launched a new and improved version of the demo on Steam!

Unlike the previous version, this one contains extra story and gameplay segments that are unique to the Director’s Cut, including new VO with the original actors that we recorded this summer Smile This time, you can also play with a controller and in seven different languages.

Most of the content is still placed at the later parts of the game, but hopefully this demo will give you a little better taste of the improvements in the Director’s Cut:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1395030/Kathy_Rain_Directors_Cut/

That is really awesome, I will hopefully get around to trying it soon

Total Posts: 141

Joined 2019-05-03

PM

Actually gave the demo a try. Then went back to the original, to compare.

I think what it boils down to for me is that I’ve played through the game twice before and it just doesn’t feel like another playthrough is that interesting to me. p&cs; are more like books for me; I want to know the story and such, and once I do, meh about going over the same grounds again. Now if the game were 10 years older or something, that might be different, but it’s not that long ago I’ve played it.

The extended end does interest me so I wouldn’t say I might not feel like it at some point (especially as there hasn’t been much point-and-clicking lately I’ve enjoyed, and everything seemingly endlessly getting delayed…), but I just don’t know.

Otherwise the “director’s cut” definitely does feel like an upgrade. If I hadn’t played it before, sure, absolutely it’s the version to go for (although I must say I found the interaction with the police officer to be rather unsympathetic obnoxious on Kathy’s part ^^).

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

There’s like 2 new locations? I bought the original already, but no need to double dip IMO. I’ll just watch the new bits on YT.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I think the Kathy Rain DC should be nominated for a community playthrough. I’m sure a few new players could be brought aboard. Plus everyone who played in the original playthrough. I am interested in seeing the changes. It’s nice to see to see developer listen to his audience, and, when the opportunity presents itself, acts on what he heard.

However, as interested as I am to see the changes, I’m not going to buy the game again, even at a discount, just to play it by myself. If the old crew gets together, that would make it worthwhile. It would also make it highly probable since many of the recent CPTs have been won with less than8 votes.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

rtrooney - 26 August 2021 06:25 PM

I think the Kathy Rain DC should be nominated for a community playthrough. I’m sure a few new players could be brought aboard. Plus everyone who played in the original playthrough. I am interested in seeing the changes. It’s nice to see to see developer listen to his audience, and, when the opportunity presents itself, acts on what he heard.

However, as interested as I am to see the changes, I’m not going to buy the game again, even at a discount, just to play it by myself. If the old crew gets together, that would make it worthwhile. It would also make it highly probable since many of the recent CPTs have been won with less than8 votes.

As soon as it drops, I’ll nominate it. Also, if it does not win, I’ll run an unofficial CPT of it anyway. And we BETTER have game designer support!

Heart

Total Posts: 1239

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Well, I am playing it right now, you know, translating and testing the new lines and all that… Smile

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Adv_Lvr - 26 August 2021 06:58 PM

As soon as it drops, I’ll nominate it. Also, if it does not win, I’ll run an unofficial CPT of it anyway. And we BETTER have game designer support!

Heart

I will join either way.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I would have to go back and look to see how many of the current YR players played the original Kathy Rain. Not many I think. So, if there was an opportunity to play a flash CPT this would be it.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

rtrooney - 09 September 2021 04:40 PM

I would have to go back and look to see how many of the current YR players played the original Kathy Rain. Not many I think. So, if there was an opportunity to play a flash CPT this would be it.

We have time to do a formal CPT of the game, which I would prefer. I believe we had 10 players in the previous CPT of the game, so we’ve got a ready crowd for the DC. The CPT was almost 4 years ago so I’m ready to replay it.

Heart

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top