• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Ghost Pirates and Vampyre Story won’t run

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2012-05-26

PM

I’m trying to play Ghost Pirates of voojoo island, the developer who also made vampyre story which uses the same engine. I can’t get either game to run. I start the game, and main.exe just sitsi n task manager and the game never shows itself

I’ve tried disabling cores, disbaling antovirus, disabling antialiasing, changing resolution, windowed mode, turning off hyperthreading, I’m running out of things to try!

Thanks

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i had the same issue…
i can not remember what i did with Vampyre Story to Run it Correctly but as i just replayed Ghost pirates recently, here what i think you should do:

in the installation folder of Ghost Pirates don’t run Main.exe, just Run config.exe ;
disable Antialiasing and start the game from there.

maybe (as i remember) you will need to save settings before Clicking start game and if that didn’t work and the and you get a Main.exe crashing to Desktop (Windows Report) you should try using the windowed mode.

Joined 2012-05-26

PM

I have tried both windowed mode and no antialiasing and I pushed save, and neither worked Frown

Joined 2012-05-26

PM

I GOT IT TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had the same issue, and found the answer here:

http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums [break] /showthread.php?s=2c479166d2f7674d5f06313ad824e58d&t=23598&page=2

So, for those having problems try renaming “libpandadx9.dll” to “libpandadx9.dll2” or whatever.
  Start up the game and at the main menu put the anti-alias down to “0.”
  Turn off the game.
  rename “libpandadx9.dll2” back to “libpandadx9.dll”
  Start the game.

My solution was a variation of this, instead of renaming the file, opening game to turn off antialiasing, then renaming the file back, I had to rename the file and then I was good (did not have to adjust antialiasing then rename file back)

If I set AA to 0 then rename the file back, the game wont start again (this dll prevents game from running for me). So I think I dont have AA. but at least the game works. Well I have AA on but the file renamed, so Im not sure if that file gives me AA or what. Vampire story has the same problems- changing the AA then REnaming the file back as the instructions say cause the game to stop starting again, so I have to keep that file renamed/deleted

Well now I have a new issue. Soon as I start the game, and push new game, it skips the bink videos and goes straight to the first ingame cutscene. Any ideas on this new issue? I can play the bink files with bink video tools fine. I DID install the directx that game with the game
vampyre diaries cutscenes are skipping too!

I really dont care about the first problem anymore, just help me get the cutscenes working so I can play the darn game now Smile

Both game’s bink cutscenes are skipped. I installed the directx 9 that came with both games. The videos play fine in bink player. I really hope the cutscenes have nothing to do with the file that is now renamed. As a LAST resort I could watch the cutscenes OUT of the game, if I knew what order they were supposed to go in, but thats a lame solution

So please help with cutscene now Smile Smile Smile

Joined 2012-05-26

PM

I have been trying to solve this issue with the publisher over here http://forum.dtp-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=201&t=20713&p=197229&sid=75d8fd95d5ab2377b711e6f775a1ac95#p197229
if anyone has any input

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Now here’s a return from the dead! Vampyres ahoy Tongue

A very long time ago I tried running A Vampyre Story (original CD) on a modern machine (can’t remember the version of Windows this far removed) and it wouldn’t run. Might have been the cut-scene problem mentioned above but too long ago now. Then, a while back, it came out on GoG but still I couldn’t get it to run. Then Steam released it so bought it but still no game Frown

I was just browsing my computer games file on my PC and decided to give the game another go (GoG version) as I recently had to purchase a new PC which is running Windows 11. Just thought I’d try for the fun of it. And guess what? It runs perfectly. I have no idea what has happened to enable the game to run on Windows 11 but I thought I’d pass comment here in case it helps anyone else who has had problems in the past but now has Windows 11.

And to save any chance of the patch for the perfume(?) bottle question being asked, yes I have installed it Smile

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Jabod - 14 October 2022 11:47 AM

And to save any chance of the patch for the perfume(?) bottle question being asked, yes I have installed it Smile

That served me right for being too clever for my own good!

After getting so far and having stuff in my coffin (inventory for those that haven’t played the game) I went back to play after saving to find 99% of said inventory had disappeared, Initially thought that it was a continuing problem running the game so deleted it. Several hours later I had a thought which, being honest, I should have had much earlier. GoG released the game years after that patch was released so it occurred to me that it must have been incorporated into the GoG, and just as certainly the Steam, release. Reinstalled and yep, that was the problem. Saved games sadly hadn’t changed so it meant a chunk of replaying but, hey-ho, that’s what you get for trying to be smart Foot in mouth  Smile

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Thanks for sharing your experience, Jabod. This game has been dwelling on my “to do” list for ages.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top