• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Looking for an External Floppy Drive for a Windows 10 64-bit Computer

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2008-06-22

PM

I recently ordered a used copy of Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Serrated Scalpel. I got the floppy disk version but I don’t have a floppy drive. Can anyone here recommend an external floppy drive for a Windows 10 64-bit computer with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 video card and an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40 GHz?

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Any USB external floppy drive will work (I have a Toshiba one) but that doesn’t mean that the game will run. It may do, of course, under DosBox or Scumm. Don’t bother looking to install an internal drive as it is very long odds indeed that your motherboard will have a controller for a floppy drive.
The spec of your machine is completely irrelevant in this case.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2008-06-22

PM

Thanks Jabod. I bought this one from Newegg. http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemNumber=9SIA1ZZ0NB2736

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Can’t see you having any problems there. Hope you can get the game to run satisfactorily.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2008-06-22

PM

I got the floppy drive in the mail today. I can’t get the game to run. I tried DosBox 0.70 and it said the disk is not formatted properly. With DosBox 0.74 it just crashes. What should I do?

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

I’d suggest starting a new thread for this so others may look at it who are DosBox literate (I’m not).

However, I did do a quick search and found this: http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=35334 which says you need to use 0.73.
Hopefully someone else will come along with better information than I can supply.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2008-06-22

PM

I’ll take your advice Jabod and start a new thread.

I tried using dosbox 0.73, but it didn’t work. The external floppy disk only makes a lot of noise.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top