• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

KeybordzLady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

4chan users identify Boston bombing suspects? (No, they didn’t.)

Total Posts: 358

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

http://thenewsjunkie.com/4chan-users-post-convincing-evidence-pointing-at-bombing-suspects/

Spreading the word. Internet crowdsourcing works!

Uodate: Looks like more sites are picking up on that story and drove traffic to that site, crashing it. Anyway, may be something, may be nothing, but I think the photo evidence is convincing.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

4chan are idiots.

Either they are cocking up any potential investigation or they are falsly accusing people of some cowardly and heinous act.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

We’ll know soon enough of any of the people highlighted in those pics are named as suspects. Apparently the FBI now has identified two suspects. But I don’t think it was wrong for people to look through all available pics to see if they recognize anyone or spot anything; in fact, I think the FBI released some of the photos of the exploded bag in order to allow for this very thing.

Here’s an overview: http://www.ibtimes.com/10-boston-marathon-bombing-suspects-4chan-reddit-found-photos-1199213

Regardless, I’m just glad law enticement seems to getting closer to finding the people responsible.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

as you opened the subject Quest1 and as i see that 4chan claims are just stupid and if want a prove stay on the page more than 5 mins it refreshes itself automatically ... as you said just for driving traffic in .

here a site talking about 5 conspiracy theories that are optional !! 
http://www.avclub.com/articles/turban-cowboy,93452/

and here is a stupid video claiming a Memorial Page Made BEFORE Boston Bombing!
http://www.seriouslyfacts.me/facebook-memorial-page-made-before-boston-bombing/

i really hate these things the most about the internet !!

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

is it acceptable to lighten things a little, if..
watch this ..
priceless :-)

“In Boston, 48 hours after the horrific tragedy, there has been a major breakthrough in the reporting of all the other things we DON’T know ... So, no arrest, but at least we have not wasted any precious time not being suspicious of dark-skinned males.”—Stephen Colbert

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/425560/april-17-2013/ricin-letters—-boston-bombing-suspects?xrs=synd_facebook

Please accept my apology if this is inappropriate

Total Posts: 31

Joined 2005-07-14

PM

This is so crazy—we lived 4 blocks away from the suspects place in Cambridge and the 7-11 burglary was the 7-11 right outside my old office (used to be in Kendall Square). Sigh, still in my house (Arlington) given the lockdown (my office in Cambridge is closed due to the lockdown). Time to get back to doing that review I owe Jackal Smile.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I grew up in the area (and my parents are still there, locked in the house!). Crazy to see these neighborhoods on the news!

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

A great tragedy, but a really swift action by the police and the FBI! BTW, looking at how the officials handled the search for the suspects, with zooming of photos and everything, I couldn’t but remember of a great (literally!) game Spycraft: The Great Game. Those who had played it will surely know what I’m talking about.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2005-07-14

PM

fov - 19 April 2013 05:31 PM

I grew up in the area (and my parents are still there, locked in the house!). Crazy to see these neighborhoods on the news!

Oh man! My daughter and I went on our porch for a bit to get fresh air and then saw the helicopters flying around overhead and decided to head back in Smile. I’ve got friends living in watertown very close to the area and the pics they’re tweeting of armored humvees and swat teams on these usually quiet suburban streets are crazy!

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Yeah!  They got him alive! Now we can find out wt** he and his brother wanted to kill 8 year-old kids. Rest easier tonight Boston.  We love you.

Joined 2005-07-14

PM

Bonsai - 19 April 2013 09:06 PM

Yeah!  They got him alive! Now we can find out wt** he and his brother wanted to kill 8 year-old kids. Rest easier tonight Boston.  We love you.

Thank goodness!

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I am thrilled to see these worthless pigs killed and captured.

Also, I think it is great that people contribute their own photos and analysis on public forums. Crowdsourcing has helped many investigations. Is it ok for the mainstream media to speculate and point fingers, but people at home cannot offer their own opinions? All we heard for days from the mainstream media was how there was a strong possibility that people opposed to higher taxes were likely behind it, since it took place on Tax Day. They blamed specific innocent people and specific groups as being complicit in and even supportive of terrorism. The opinion tv channel MSNBC tried to ridiculously blame the MIT death on the NRA. So, you’ll excuse me if I don’t feel too upset that people online were bringing to light new photos from social media sites in a (non-agenda driven) desire to help. In fact, the FBI often releases photographic and other evidence in hopes the public will see something or notice something. It is unfortunate whenever innocent people fall under suspicion, but we should blame the terrorists for putting us in this position, not those looking at photographs in a genuine and, I repeat, non-agenda-driven way.

As an aside and not to get too off topic, but some of you might find it interesting how the filmmaker quoted below engaged in the kind of speculation that we saw from many in the news media almost minutes after the bombing. This kind of reckless, baseless, agenda-driven finger pointing is what is really sick, and it was all we heard for days. It is blaming and openly wishing for ( http://www.salon.com/2013/04/16/lets_hope_the_boston_marathon_bomber_is_a_white_american/ ) the attack to have been carried out by a Christian, American-born white male or political opponent. Turns out the terrorist act appears to have been carried out by foreign-born Muslim men who had recently become more fundamentalist.

Michael Moore on 15 April:

Michael Moore tonight:

Finally, to whomever linked to the vulgar, smear merchant gossip site Gawker earlier in this thread while complaining about misinformation, I suggest you look up the definition of unintended irony.

Anyway, I’m just glad the suspects have been caught! Tonight is time for celebration.

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Quest1 - 20 April 2013 03:40 AM

Is it ok for the mainstream media to speculate and point fingers, but people at home cannot offer their own opinions?

Of course not - it’s not okay for anyone to start pointing their fingers. Not the public, not the media, not the government.

It’s called a witch hunt, and it has all the negative connotations for a reason.

That’s why your mother teaches you it’s not okay to point fingers at people Tongue

(Edit): Hmm, quite good tweets from Michael Moore, indeed. Shows you things are not so black-and-white. There is no such thing as pure evil, and most likely no such thing as pure good, too. All evil is done in the name of good (and with an aim for a better world), after all. (And as for the tax one, it’s saying the obvious, that there is a terrifying lack of social responsibility in the US (and spreading around the world), which needs to be issued and taxes are one way to start correcting that).

All we heard for days from the mainstream media was how there was a strong possibility that people opposed to higher taxes were likely behind it, since it took place on Tax Day. They blamed specific innocent people and specific groups as being complicit in and even supportive of terrorism. The opinion tv channel MSNBC tried to ridiculously blame the MIT death on the NRA. So, you’ll excuse me if I don’t feel too upset that people online were bringing to light new photos from social media sites in a (non-agenda driven) desire to help. In fact, the FBI often releases photographic and other evidence in hopes the public will see something or notice something. It is unfortunate whenever innocent people fall under suspicion, but we should blame the terrorists for putting us in this position, not those looking at photographs in a genuine and, I repeat, non-agenda-driven way.

Now, here’s the problem. It seems the whole American society is at the moment twisted into this neverending blame game. The political right is almost in a state of war against everything that isn’t on their side - and even though this have gotten calmer since Bush (finally) left (I still can’t believe all the damage one man can do in the world (not that it was really just one man, but rather thousands of people in a similar mindset)) the whole state is in a state of war against all sorts of things, and the terrifying thing about that is that it has proven that it doesn’t have to play by the rules given. That kind of mentality spreads throughout the society - and the media, being so politicized, of course always plays their own agenda (and also joins in on the blame because of the ratings too - they’re all about the ratings).

The speculation by the media, though, is still a very different thing than what the site in the OP was doing. It was speculating that, based on the situation, it might be people with a certain goal (regarding taxes). There are extremists in any position. Turns out they were wrong, but it wasn’t baseless speculation. Hopefully they didn’t blame such people though (I don’t know, I haven’t seen the talk there - if they did, that’s obiviously wrong, but..). The problem on the OP’s site was that it was laying guilt on individuals without any real information, publicly. Without any guidelines or restrictions. Anyone was free to blame anyone for any reason. Such a blame can have very negative results even when it’s found to be groundless. There’s a reason there are restrictions for the police (or at least have been before the so called “war on terror”) about how they can conduct their investigations. The people don’t have those, which is why it’s extremely dangerous to go on such a witch hunt based on flimsy evidence.

And I believe the whole point - before the terrorists were found - was to blame the terrorists, but no one knew who the terrorists were. The most wrongful thing here was to assume that it was anyone in particular who had done this before the real culprits were found. Innocent until proven otherwise.

As an aside and not to get too off topic, but some of you might find it interesting how the filmmaker quoted below engaged in the kind of speculation that we saw from many in the news media almost minutes after the bombing. This kind of reckless, baseless, agenda-driven finger pointing is what is really sick, and it was all we heard for days. It is blaming and openly wishing for ( http://www.salon.com/2013/04/16/lets_hope_the_boston_marathon_bomber_is_a_white_american/ ) the attack to have been carried out by a Christian, American-born white male or political opponent. Turns out the terrorist act appears to have been carried out by foreign-born Muslim men who had recently become more fundamentalist.

I didn’t read why Moore wanted that, but would’ve been better had the bombers not been muslimists - this just incites more completely baseless hatred in the extrimists in our societies against one of the largest “groups” of people in the world - who are indeed not a group at all but just all kinds of people who happen to share a similar religion (but not the same, because there are just as many differentmuslim religions as there are Christian religions).

Anyway, there’s a lot more to this than what I had time to write, but I don’t have time to write a long reply now…

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

UPtimist - 20 April 2013 04:17 AM

(Edit): Hmm, quite good tweets from Michael Moore, indeed. Shows you things are not so black-and-white. There is no such thing as pure evil, and most likely no such thing as pure good, too. All evil is done in the name of good (and with an aim for a better world), after all.

Oh, I have no problem labeling those two men as straight up, pure evil for setting out to murder and maim innocent men, women and children. I’m sorry, but there should be no ambiguity in recognizing the evil of these two pigs. And don’t kid yourself. Michael Moore would not have expressed sympathy had the terrorists been in any way associated with an ideological opponent of his. As it turns out, the younger of the terrorist bomber suspects had, back in Nov, tweeted support for Obama and had more recently supported gun control and efforts to disarm Americans.

(And as for the tax one, it’s saying the obvious, that there is a terrifying lack of social responsibility in the US (and spreading around the world), which needs to be issued and taxes are one way to start correcting that).

What is also troubling is that half the country doesn’t pay ANY federal income taxes and thinks they have a right to ever more of other people’s money and thinks they are entitled to ever-increasing amounts of free stuff paid for by those who pay the bulk of the taxes now. But I hear what you’re saying. I just don’t think expecting fair tax rules is the same as lacking social responsibility.

Anyway, tonight is really a bitter sweet moment. You want to let out a sigh of relief or maybe cheer, but then you think about all the people injured or killed. I made the mistake of looking at the unedited photos taken right after the bombing. Blown off arms and legs on the ground, etc. Wish I hadn’t seen that. Thank goodness the terrorists weren’t allowed the opportunity to set off a second round of deadly explosions.

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Quest1 - 20 April 2013 05:26 AM

Oh, I have no problem labeling those two men as straight up, pure evil for setting out to murder and maim innocent men, women and children. I’m sorry, but there should be no ambiguity in recognizing the evil of these two pigs.

Well, I guess there we have a fundamental difference in thought - and there’s no way of reconciling that. But, you know, for example (true) human rights cannot exist in such a viewpoint, because labeling someone as evil is the same as labeling them as non-human. And that means that anyone can, simply by labeling them by evil, be deprived of their fundamental rights. And that is a very slippery slope.

(And of course this has been done, in recent times, countless times (to innocent people) in places like Guantanamo (but that’s not relevant to this discussion..).)

And don’t kid yourself. Michael Moore would not have expressed sympathy had the terrorists been in any way associated with an ideological opponent of his. As it turns out, the younger of the terrorist bomber suspects had, back in Nov, tweeted support for Obama and had more recently supported gun control and efforts to disarm Americans.

Oh, you’re absolutely right, of course he wouldn’t have. I have no delusions about Michael Moore. But that doesn’t make his point any less valid.

What is also troubling is that half the country doesn’t pay ANY federal income taxes and thinks they have a right to ever more of other people’s money and thinks they are entitled to ever-increasing amounts of free stuff paid for by those who pay the bulk of the taxes now. But I hear what you’re saying. I just don’t think expecting fair tax rules is the same as lacking social responsibility.

Sure, but it’s a start.

Anyway, never celebrate the death of another person, no matter how bad things they’ve done (and even especially because of that). You’re really just demoting yourself to their level, and not doing justice to those who have suffered.

That’s how I think, anyways.

Apprehension, of course, is another matter. In cases like this justice can never be done, but through a legal verdict we can at least get a bit closer to justice.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top