• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

My Next Generation of Adventure Gaming Hardware

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

My current generation of gaming hardware is a PS4 Pro with PSVR and an iPad mini 5 with remote play. To say this is the best I’ve ever had in gaming is an understatement, plenty of really great games.

Under my Xmas tree is my next generation - an Alienware 17 inch laptop computer with an HTC Vive Cosmos and Occulus Rift S headsets and for handheld gaming a Switch from Nintendo. The Switch does have lots of collectible game to buy including great adventure games.

I don’t see this happening overnight, but in the long run should be a better gaming experience. So, if you were me, what game should I play first on my new systems?

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

The best looking game I’ve tried to run is Detroit: Beyond Human. Even on the lowest setting it was unplayable, slowed down to a choppy mess.

Still, you’ve only got a laptop - how ‘next gen’ can it be? Maybe I’m not up to date with laptop gaming but they were always several years behind what a gaming desktop PC could do.

Total Posts: 172

Joined 2011-06-03

PM

Depends on how much money you are willing to pour into it. Gaming laptops have become quite powerful and most adventure games are not very resource demanding.

And depends on what you mean by next gen. Next gen laptop compared to other laptops, or next gen gaming setup compared to his/her PS4 and iPad.

But of course a laptop can not compete with water-cooled cabinet and an RTX 3080. Such a comparison would be silly.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

True, a desktop PC can be more powerful. But they are not portable. I plan to play in Starbucks alot. My Laptop specs are:

New Alienware m17 R3 17.3 inch FHD Gaming Laptop (Luna Light) Intel Core i7-10750H 10th Gen, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB SSD, Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6, Windows 10 Home.

A Switch is in the same boat, a great gaming machine but not as powerful as a PS5. But highly portable.

I have Detroit on the PS4 and love it.

I think my first game is going to be Beyond the Steel Sky. Is that a good choice, something else?

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1239

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

I see my laptop specs and I cry…

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 172

Joined 2011-06-03

PM

Adv_Lvr - 17 December 2020 06:43 PM

True, a desktop PC can be more powerful. But they are not portable. I plan to play in Starbucks alot. My Laptop specs are:

New Alienware m17 R3 17.3 inch FHD Gaming Laptop (Luna Light) Intel Core i7-10750H 10th Gen, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB SSD, Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6, Windows 10 Home.

I am getting this instead of a PS5. A Switch is in the same boat, a great gaming machine but not as powerful as a PS5. But highly portable.

I have Detroit on the PS4 and love it.

I think my first game is going to be Beyond the Steel Sky. Is that a good choice, something else?

Heart

First 30 mins were ok. After that, the game really goes downhill.

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Sadly no next-gen game around to play for next-gen hw,let’s wait and see till spring.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I just want a good game, does not have to be next gen. For that I could do Little Hope. I’ve heard it is really good. I just want a game I could not play on IPad/PS4 that is really good.

How about The Book of Unwritten Tales? Is Beyond. A Steel Sky that bad?

If the PC does not work out there is always a PS5.

I hope I made the right choice because PS4 rocked.

Heart

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

I’ve read a lot of your posts Adv_Lvr and I think you would enjoy Beyond A Steel Sky. Sure it’s no classic, and has issues, but there are worse ways to spend a couple of hours.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Luhr28 - 18 December 2020 05:24 PM

I’ve read a lot of your posts Adv_Lvr and I think you would enjoy Beyond A Steel Sky. Sure it’s no classic, and has issues, but there are worse ways to spend a couple of hours.

This is the most difficult upgrade I have ever done. Here I am at Hooters playing. PS4 game on my iPad and loving it. However, the Switch and an Alienware PC are way more powerful than my current hardware.

OK, my first game on my new hardware will be Beyond a Steel Sky. I’m sure I’ll love it. Can’t wait actually. The game looks like it would be amazing on my Alienware laptop. And if I’ve made a mistake I can always buy a PS5 and iPad mini 6.

Heart

Total Posts: 216

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Good choices Smile I’d only skip HTC Vive as it’s quite an aged hmd at this point. Rift S is a mighty good VR system for its price though. Very comfortable and quite a step up from PSVR.

As far as VR goes, I really recommend to start with: Half Life Alyx, Walking Dead Saints and Sinners, Shadow Point, The Room Dark Matter, Red Matter, Asgard’s Wrath and some older classics such as Lone Echo, Edge of Nowhere, Wilson’s Heart, etc.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

It’s a Vive Cosmos. It’s a very recent headset.

Heart

Total Posts: 58

Joined 2009-11-05

PM

Adv_Lvr - 20 December 2020 03:02 PM

It’s a Vive Cosmos. It’s a very recent headset.

Heart

Oh noes, it’s pretty much unanimously regarded as a terrible headset in the VR community. Controller tracking and battery life sucks, plus the sweetspot for the lenses is supposedly one of the smallest out there. There are more minor issues, but these 3 are the main ones.

Rift S on the other hand is pretty decent. I own one myself and from my experience the sweetspot is pretty large. There are very little God rays, although they are present which is annoying coming from PSVR. Tracking and controller battery life is good also.

As far as games go, someone already mentioned a bunch of good ones. I’ll add The Gallery episode 1 & 2 to the mix. I recently played it and it’s an excellent adventure despite being quite old at this point. You can get it via Viveport Infinity for free.

If you don’t have a subscription yet then get on it. Tongue The way I see it, it’s pretty much mandatory for VR gamers, especially if you’re just starting out with PCVR gaming. Playing just one game will cover the monthly subscription fee and you’re probably going to find more than one game per month worth your time. It’s definitely cheaper than buying games individually.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Good thing I bought 2 headsets then, in case one sucked. Thanks for all the good advice, Hopefully this system will blow my current PSVR into the woods.

Heart

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2004-12-07

PM

The first game I’d play with that would be Lone Echo. Oculus exclusive VR game.

Total Posts: 58

Joined 2009-11-05

PM

Adv_Lvr - 31 December 2020 10:01 AM

Good thing I bought 2 headsets then, in case one sucked. Thanks for all the good advice, Hopefully this system will blow my current PSVR into the woods.

Heart

PSVR still does some things better. To this day it’s the most comfortable headset I’ve tried so far and it has no God Rays. What really made PCVR my go-to VR destination though was the vastly improved tracking and the realization how much more content is available. And a lot of it you can get for free or super cheap.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top