• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieIronCretin

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Question for Danish/Swedish/Norwegian posters

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

nomadsoul - 08 October 2014 02:08 AM

So i was looking for similar awesome cinematography and thrilling suspense films.

Hodejegerne. No doubt. Wink

Mads Mikkelsen is brilliant actor.

That he is, but especially in Danish, imo. In English films I find him “merely” solid-to-good (*). In Danish he’s absolutely brilliant.

(*) Haven’t seen the Hannibal series yet, he could be amazing in that.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

If you haven’t seen it you should definitely check out the Pusher trilogy. Directed by Drive director Nicolas Winding Refn and starring Mads Mikkelsen in two of the three movies. They’re awesome crime thrillers with a bit of humor too.

Edit: Bleeder, also starring Mads Mikkelsen and directed by Nicolas Winding Refn, is similarly awesome.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

@Tim and Kasper

Mads is legit, he is awesome in everything. Just got over with The Salvation (really good western also starring EvaGreen).
And OpenHearts Danish Romance Drama.

Also saw Copenhagen(2014) film and Nightwatch(Danish Version).

Danish cinema is goooood in atmosphere.

Total Posts: 175

Joined 2008-09-02

PM

There are several other great Mikkelsen movies. I would like to recommend some of them:

After the Wedding  (nominated for a best foreign film academy award a few years back): Incredibly touching drama with brilliant performances by the lead actors. Deeply emotional. No cheesy elements at all.

Prague: Very intense drama about the end of a marriage. Absolutely brutal and unforgiving. Guess I don’t have to mention how good the performances are.

Adam’s Apples: If you have ANY interest in politically incorrect, dark (VERY dark)humor… this is your movie. One of the most thoughtful and intelligent black comedies I have ever seen. Mikkelsen’s acting is absolutely priceless.

Flame and Citron: The Danish version of a blockbuster movie - same director who did Prague. A story about the Danish resistance in WWII. Not what you may be looking for if you want 100% drama. You will know what I mean when you see the shootout scenes. However, if you like fast-paced WW II thrillers like Blackbook it’s probably a very good choice.

There are other very good movies he did. But these are some that initially come to my mind. Big fan of Mikkelsen and Scandinavian cinema.

Now playing: GreedFall, Control
Recently finished: Telling Lies, The Sinking City

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Talking about Mads Mikkelsen there are a couple of other movies that also needs mentioning:

Blinkende Lygter (Flickering Lights): Four small gangsters from Copenhagen trick a gangster boss: they take over 4,000,000 kroner which they were supposed to bring him. Trying to escape to Barcelona they are forced to stop in the countryside, in an old, wrecked house, hiding there for several weeks. Slowly, one after another, they realize, that they would like to stay there, starting a new life, renovating the house and forming it into a restaurant. But they can’t avoid being caught up by their past.

De Grønne Slagtere (the Green Butchers): Svend and Bjarne work for a butcher in a small Danish town. Fed up with their boss’ arrogance, they decide to start their own butcher shop. After dismal beginnings, an unfortunate accident happens which coincides with a large order of meat. One hasty decision leads to another and soon the business thrives. In the meantime, Bjarne has to deal with his twin brother who has been in coma for years following a gruesome car accident.

Of non Mads Mikkelsen movies I can also recommend the trilogy by Per Fly:
Bænken, Arven and Drabet (The Bench, The Inheritance and Manslaughter) Respectively a story about the lower class, the upper class and the middle class. Perhaps not quite what you are looking for, but very good movies.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2008-09-02

PM

Green Butchers had some hilarious scenes. I don’t think it’s nearly as good as Adam’s Apples. But still… some things in there were a real hoot. Mads Mikkelsen in a very… uhm… interesting role. Wink

Eventhough it’s from the same writer/director as Adam’s Apples/Green Butchers, I never finished Flickering Lights. Have got to catch up on that one.

By the way: Open Hearts was mentioned before. Since you liked that one you should really go for After the Wedding. Same director. Similar intensity.

There is quite a lot of cool stuff from Scandinavia worth being recommended. Since it’s somehow gaming related I would also suggest to check out the stuff by Josef Fares. Not only was Brothers a wonderful first game… he also knows how to do great movies. Actually, I talked about that with Ragnar Tornquist at Gamescom. Turned out we’re both big fans of Josef Fares as a game developer AND a movie director. The talent this guy has is absolutely stunning.

As far as TV is concerned: I really, really like the original versions of The Killing and The Bridge. However, the Danish TV show that impressed me most has to be Borgen. Just like the trailer says… kind of like The West Wing in Danish. The story of a fictional female prime minister. It’s no exaggeration when I say it’s pretty much on one quality level with Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones or True Detective. At least that’s how I feel about it. Highly recommened.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

@Ingmar

Just finished with After the Wedding, man huge thanks. Amazing movie, Acting and Story.
So many tight situations, its amazing how these Scandanavian flicks deal with relations/human drama complexities,not cliched like Hollywood stuff.
Was it Copenhagen or Stockholm??? Its feels magical on Camera.

Onto other recommendations from tommorow. Smile

Total Posts: 232

Joined 2010-08-21

PM

So many awesome movie recommendations here. I personally strongly enjoyed blinkende lygter (flickering lights) but generally that bunch of movies are pretty damn asswhooping.

If you’re into Swedish/Danish atmospheric stuff I can truly recommend RIGET A horror mini TV series from the nineties, starring the incredibly heavy and sorely missed Ernst-Hugo Järegård, who plays a Swedish doctor, stuck in a Danish hospital. It’s insane. I’m not really a big horror fan, but that stuff is good.

Regarding the original post: I’m a Swede and I belong to the younger, more cowardly generation, that tend to switch to English when speaking to Danes. Norwegians I can usually communicate with pretty good in Swe/Nor though. But Danish is impossible. I have no clue what they’re saying and vice versa. Both Danish and Norwegian are really easy to read, though.

If you plan on visiting Copenhagen / Malmö I would strongly recommend Copenhagen as that is (in my opinion) a way more interesting city, in like, a million different ways.

Joined 2008-09-02

PM

@nomadsoul Great to hear you enjoyed After the Wedding. Agree with everything you said.
As far as I remember quite a bit of the movie took place in Copenhagen.

I second the suggestion to visit Copenhagen by the way. Eventhough I’m “officially” German around 80 % of my family is from Copenhagen. My grandfather was from Sweden and moved to Denmark at a young age.

I go to Copenhagen once a year, and really think it’s a great city with a lot of flair.

Lots of recommendations for the moment. Will get back in a while to recommend my #1 Scandinavian movie. Wink

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

theo - 22 October 2014 02:40 AM

If you’re into Swedish/Danish atmospheric stuff I can truly recommend RIGET A horror mini TV series from the nineties, starring the incredibly heavy and sorely missed Ernst-Hugo Järegård, who plays a Swedish doctor, stuck in a Danish hospital. It’s insane. I’m not really a big horror fan, but that stuff is good.

Seconded!

This was 7 episodes of slow, creepy buildup and one final episode of absolute terror. It’s probably the only series that has ever managed to frighten terrify me.

And Lars von Trier’s final comments were a hoot as well.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Ingmar - 22 October 2014 06:04 AM

Lots of recommendations for the moment. Will get back in a while to recommend my #1 Scandinavian movie. Wink

Done with PRAG(UE).
Depressing and sad. Makes you love your life more for whatever you have now.
Felt sorry for Mads. To top it off, Prague felt much gloomy , like communist leftover
state like Romania.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

TimovieMan - 22 October 2014 06:32 AM
theo - 22 October 2014 02:40 AM

Seconded!

Third… Um.. ed.

How could I have forgotten about Riget, it is really a must see series based on what I know about your preferences.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I became a fan of Mads Mikkelson after Jagten. I’d love to watch Prague, but it doesn’t seem to be available anywhere in my country. Amazon.co.uk sells it for 17 pounds, that’s way too much. Frown

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

If you guys need another great Danish movie I can recommend Submarino from director Thomas Vinterberg, who also did The Hunt among others. It’s sad and uncomfortable, but really awesome.

And if you want to see what a Danish teen dramedy about rich teenagers is like I can recommend Rich Kids. While perhaps not amazing it’s a lot of fun and definitely different Grin

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Ingmar - 20 October 2014 09:26 AM

After the Wedding  (nominated for a best foreign film academy award a few years back): Incredibly touching drama with brilliant performances by the lead actors. Deeply emotional. No cheesy elements at all.

I wish I could agree. The acting is indeed brilliant, but I found everything else terribly cliched and predictable.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top