• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The football (soccer) thread

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

I have the game recorded so I don’t know how the game looked overall, but I saw it from the first goal to the end, and in that part Spain certainly was in control. Italy had its chances, but it was Spain who was, as usual, building the game and had the ball. Both played well though, in my opinion, so I’m hopeful. My two favorites, so I guess I’m glad about the draw.

I’m hoping Torres gets his thing going. He had his chances again, but still no goals… It’s a bit sad that he just seems to have lost that finishing edge. Though if he keeps getting such opportunities, who knows - at least he wasn’t passive.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’m hoping that the finals will be played between Germany and Spain, who are imho the two best teams in Europe at the moment. Without a deep striker, I don’t think Spain will win, though.

1. Germany
2. Spain
3. Russia
4. France

Russia seriously surprised in their opening match and I am positive that they have more in store for us. And I believe France will be one of the main surprises in this tournament. Their team consists of youngsters eager to prove themselves without the star attitude that some of the bigger names suffer from (*cough* Holland *cough*).

I’m rooting for Ireland as well, but that’s because they always are the most sympathetic team. I just love their friendly supporters and fair approach to the game! After their opening match, though, I’m afraid they won’t make it past the group stage.

I can’t help shake the feeling that England is one of the worst teams present. As long as Terry and Lampard control the line-up, they’ll never get anywhere. They should be force-retired by the trainer, imo. Seriously, that team lacks flair and uses outdated and rigid tactics.

I’m pleased to see that Denmark has beaten Holland in their opening match. Not that I hate the Dutch team per se, but I think they’re overrated and I really dislike the arrogant bastards (or “arrogante kwallen” as I prefer to call them in Dutch) Arjen Robben, Robin Van Persie and Wesley Sneijder. Always fun to see those three taken down a notch. (Robben’s a one-trick pony, Van Persie is a whiny brat, Sneijder is imo the most overrated player in Europe, and all three of them think far too highly of themselves). Why anyone would put both Kuyt and Huntelaar on the bench is beyond me.
I was quite happy that the result was: Egoland 0 - Legoland 1. Smile

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 77

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I agree about Huntelaar, but Kuyt? Really? He is a hard worker, always in a free position (and he’s a super nice guy), but he lacks real finesse and skill.

I’m watching Ukraine Sweden now. Should be interesting. Sweden has a good team.

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

TimovieMan - 11 June 2012 12:07 PM

And I believe France will be one of the main surprises in this tournament.

Not with the level of play they had today, though…

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Erwin_Br - 11 June 2012 02:48 PM

I agree about Huntelaar, but Kuyt? Really? He is a hard worker, always in a free position (and he’s a super nice guy), but he lacks real finesse and skill.

Individual talent alone doesn’t get you anywhere. Every team needs a few hard working team players…

UPtimist - 11 June 2012 02:58 PM

Not with the level of play they had today, though…

Someone should assign Nasri and Ribéry to a different part of the pitch. They were constantly playing on the same square meter, hindering each other. Bad positioning, imo. And those are supposed to their two best players…

But all in all it’s a sad thing when both teams are content with a draw in their opening match. It was worse than a friendly… Frown

Best football so far was from Russia.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Didn’t see the England game (France should have won), but the Sweden game has just now come to life. 2 goals in the last 5 mins.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Lucien21 - 11 June 2012 04:00 PM

Didn’t see the England game (France should have won), but the Sweden game has just now come to life. 2 goals in the last 5 mins.

The third goal seems to have killed it though. Sweden stopped playing soon after the first goal, Ukraine after the third.

Well, as soon as I said that something started happening, but rather weak still…

It was a rather lively game in the first half, much more fun to watch than England - France.

(Edit): Meh, I was hoping Sweden would do better… They didn’t play bad, but could’ve done better. Looking bad that they would advance from the group now.

Total Posts: 360

Joined 2006-01-12

PM

UPtimist - 11 June 2012 04:16 PM

(Edit): Meh, I was hoping Sweden would do better… They didn’t play bad, but could’ve done better. Looking bad that they would advance from the group now.

They’re sloppy, that’s what they are.  Angry

Lazy Bee
Temporary guest in your life.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

The Denmark/Portugal game was a lot of fun. 5 goals. Denmark were unlucky.

The current game ain’t working out so well for the Dutch. Coming up on half time and Gomez has scored twice.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I’m glad we lost yesterday. The ridiculous Orange crazyness was getting really annoying. Hopefully everything is back to normal tomorrow.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

tsa - 14 June 2012 05:44 AM

The ridiculous Orange crazyness was getting really annoying.

That happens at EVERY tournament, unfortunately. Shifty Eyed

Glad to see Van Marwijk finally decided to put Huntelaar next to Van Persie, and to replace Afellay with Van der Vaart, and benching Van Bommel.
Too bad he did it when they were 2-0 down, while it should’ve been his starting 11.

As long as the Dutch defense is this weak, however, they’ll NEVER progress beyond the group stage at ANY tournament…

Some of the better jokes about the Dutch team:

- What do you do after Holland (who still has a tiny chance) wins the European Championship?
- Turn off your Playstation.

- The last time Holland defended this poorly, they lost control of the country for five years.

- What’s the difference between The Smurfs and Oranje?
- The Smurfs only have ONE Clumsy Smurf.

Former Dutch international Johan Boskamp nearly pissed his pants laughing at those first two last night (he was in the Belgian TV studio commenting). And this was AFTER the match…  Tongue
‘Bossie’ rules!

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Advie - 09 June 2012 06:02 PM

OK
how bets on Holland to beat Germany, the next match ?

i had lost this bet , big time   Confused ,

what a disappointing team ,Holland!

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

TimovieMan - 14 June 2012 06:58 AM

Glad to see Van Marwijk finally decided to put Huntelaar next to Van Persie, and to replace Afellay with Van der Vaart, and benching Van Bommel.
Too bad he did it when they were 2-0 down, while it should’ve been his starting 11.

Here in the Netherlands football fans wanted Van Marwijk to start with Huntelaar and Van Persie as well. Huntelaar is no. 1 scorer in the German competition. Van Bommel is getting old, he brings little creativity on the mid-field. Many football analysts blame Van Marwijk in the media on being stubborn and shoehorning his players into “his system” instead of adapting the system to the players. He also raised some eyebrows selecting young defender Willems over experienced Emanuelson who plays quite well at Barcelona.

So yeah, a lot of disappointment here.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Erwin_Br - 14 June 2012 11:27 AM

How big was the disappointment two years ago? Because that was the worst campaign the Dutch team ever played, yet they reached the finals.

I’d prefer to see them lose in the quarter finals, but having given nice attractive football (the kind they had when Bergkamp, Overmars and the De Boers were still around), than having to watch them play godawful ugly football and reach the finals.

Huntelaar is no. 1 scorer in the German competition.

All the more reason to have him in the starting eleven against Germany.

Van Bommel is getting old, he brings little creativity on the mid-field.

Not to mention that he belongs in a martial arts club, not a football club. How many red cards DIDN’T he get at the World Championship two years ago?

Many football analysts blame Van Marwijk in the media on being stubborn and shoehorning his players into “his system” instead of adapting the system to the players.

Can’t someone try to convince Johan Cruijff to come out of retirement as a trainer? He’s sorely missed…

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

TimovieMan - 14 June 2012 11:35 AM

How big was the disappointment two years ago? Because that was the worst campaign the Dutch team ever played, yet they reached the finals.

2 years ago van Marwijk received a lot of negative comments about the, what was called anti-football style he employs. The Dutch are a very picky and hard to please audience. They want attractive football. Of course it was easy then for van Marwijk to ignore and wave away the critique. They made it to the finals after all. I’m not sure what happens to van Marwijk after the Dutch leave the competition this Sunday, but I hope they kick him out. I’d rather lose with fantastic football than win with poor anti-football, and many Dutchmen feel the same way.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top