• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

[Archived] Time for a new community playthrough?

Total Posts: 1239

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Ha!

What a coincidence! I just played Return of the Panthom when I finished CPT Keepsake because after 28 years from its release a friend of mine managed to tranlate it into Spanish.

It is a short game, with great setting and prioritizes story over puzzles. The main problem is the f$%&#= maze near the end…

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 2063

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Pegbiter - 23 April 2021 02:18 AM

Add votes from me for:
Return Of The Phantom
Inspector Waffles

Or wasn’t that a CPT nomination, Doom?

Oh yes, I just wanted to hear some opinions since the game went almost unnoticed. I nominate Waffles and offer to lead it I guess since I’ll finish it soon anyway. A rare game where even the hint system is funny.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

The Dig (6) - TimovieMan (leader), DCast, Jdawg, Lady Kestrel, Colpet, Doom
Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy (6) - DCast, Pegbiter, TimovieMan, Tenebra, Vegetable Party, Walas74
Nelly Cootalot: The Fowl Fleet (6) - Adv_Lvr (leader), TimovieMan, Karlok, Lady Kestrel, Walas74, Vegetable Party
Still Life (6) - RTRooney, Pegbiter, TimovieMan, DCast, Tenebra, Walas74

Day of the Tentacle (4) - DCast, Lady Kestrel, TimovieMan, Nico2021
The Shapeshifting Detective (4) - Adv_Lvr (leader), TimovieMan, Luhr28, Walas74
Tony Tough and the Night of Roasted Moths (4) - Luhr28 (leader), Walas74, Pegbiter, TimovieMan

Culpa Innata (3) - Chrissie (host), DCast, TimovieMan
Inspector Waffles (3) - Doom (leader), Luhr28, Pegbiter

Return of the Phantom (2) - Luhr28, Pegbiter

Yoomurjak’s Ring (1) - Millenia

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m not going to post an advertisement for Still Life. I’m sure most people here have either played it or know about it. It’s not “Noir” in the same sense as Black Dahlia, or it’s prequel, Post Mortem. But it is dark.

It also has two historically difficult puzzles. One is the cookie baking puzzle, which really isn’t that hard if you just do the math. The other is the “Spider” puzzle. You will probably need to watch a YouTube video to solve it. Unfortunately that opportunity wasn’t available when the game was first released.

I hope the game finds a leader.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1239

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

I’ve heard a lot about the cookies puzzle in Still Life. I hope it’s not like goat puzzle in Broken Sword of moustache puzzle in GK3…

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 1623

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

walas74 - 26 April 2021 02:02 AM

I’ve heard a lot about the cookies puzzle in Still Life. I hope it’s not like goat puzzle in Broken Sword of moustache puzzle in GK3…

Its not hard, just idiotic and very out of place in this type of game. I already was groaning a lot and this puzzle was the straw that broke the camels back.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

I’m probably in the minority, thinking it was an entertaining puzzle and the only thing that stood out in an otherwise boring and vastly overrated game.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

Luhr28 - 26 April 2021 06:41 AM

I’m probably in the minority, thinking it was an entertaining puzzle and the only thing that stood out in an otherwise boring and vastly overrated game.

You are not the only one, me too. And every time I have the opportunity I repeat it. I found that puzzle entertaining, it breaks a bit if you will with the dark crime investigation scheme but that doesn’t mean it’s out of place. She was at home. In a moment of relaxation. Showing us that despite everything that was happening out there she still had a life and this puzzle is part of it. Ok, let’s relax a little bit, here you have some of her life.

Totally disagree with what you said later, boring and overrated.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Tenebra - 26 April 2021 07:43 AM

she still had a life

Pun intended? Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 839

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

With the exception of one instance where my old CRT was too dark to see a clue in a painting, I remember beating Still Life without a walk through when it came out. It was difficult, but not stupidly difficult. Just satisfyingly challenging.

On the whole, I would say that Return of the Phantom is more likely to require the use of a walk through in order to complete. 99% of the game is a wonderfully atmospheric walking-simulator-ish adventure (what puzzles there are are quite simple to solve), and then comes the labyrinth.
This game is such a triumph of evocative design, even if the game itself is only so-so, that I will put in a vote for it. Some folks condemn the voice acting, but I loved it—such a product of the KQ5 era, and we all know how I feel about *that* game!
It’s really short, so easy to recommend without asking for a significant time investment on behalf of the recommendee.
Also, what a final act!

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy (6) - DCast, Pegbiter, TimovieMan, Tenebra, Vegetable Party, Walas74
Nelly Cootalot: The Fowl Fleet (6) - Adv_Lvr (leader), TimovieMan, Karlok, Lady Kestrel, Walas74, Vegetable Party

The Shapeshifting Detective (4) - Adv_Lvr (leader), TimovieMan, Luhr28, Walas74
Tony Tough and the Night of Roasted Moths (4) - Luhr28 (leader), Walas74, Pegbiter, TimovieMan

Culpa Innata (3) - Chrissie (host), DCast, TimovieMan
Return of the Phantom (3) - Luhr28, Pegbiter, Baron_Blubba

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Let us not forget the reason for the cookie puzzle. She was at home, taking a break from her stressful job. And did so by making cookies for her father. I don’t think the puzzle, itself, is great. But it certainly fits into the theme of the game.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Although I didn’t even manage to finish the last playthrough…  Foot in mouth

Please do stick me down for The Shapeshifting Detective

Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy and Culpa Innata are games that I have played but I can’t remember if I ever finished so I’ll vote for those too.

And Return of the Phantom still looks intriguing so one more for that please.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy (7) - DCast, Pegbiter, TimovieMan, Tenebra, Vegetable Party, Walas74, Intense Degree

The Shapeshifting Detective (5) - Adv_Lvr (leader), TimovieMan, Luhr28, Walas74, Intense Degree

Culpa Innata (4) - Chrissie (host), DCast, TimovieMan, Intense Degree
Return of the Phantom (4) - Luhr28, Pegbiter, Baron_Blubba, Intense Degree

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I guess most people that are interested in Yoomurjak’s Ring have already played it? But it’s available on Steam now. Though it’s not currently on sale. It’s constantly -80% off so people pick it up from the next sale and then we vote for it, yeah?  Wink

I will give my vote to another FMV adventure then, The Shapeshifting Detective. And I guess I could try to patch the Steam version of Culpa Innata for a replay. (I think I had the Adventure Shop uncut version earlier but I guess those games are gone?)

So votes for:
The Shapeshifting Detective
Culpa Innata

Not going to vote for other replays just yet, though I might in future. I have Fahrenheit on disc but I don’t have a drive to run it… And the Remaster isn’t on sale so I’m not paying 9€ for it.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top