• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

GabrielKeybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #65 - Keepsake

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Lady Kestrel - 12 April 2021 11:39 AM

Veovis,
I came out of the library with all 4 spheres plus the 4 tapestries.  We never use the spheres again, but it’s possible they might be a trigger.  Also, have you solved the ship in the bottle puzzle?

Thanks for this info. The only response I got from Lydia and Zak when trying to grab the sphere in the red room was that it can’t be done. I have a document with text that I can’t (yet) read that has a drawing of a sphere on it so I figured I need to find a way to understand that one before being able to get the fourth sphere in the library. I have all four pieces of tapestry though. I haven’t yet solved the ship in the bottle puzzle. I have been inside the bottle and ran around for a while but experienced the only crash I’ve had so far and I haven’t revisited yet. Not sure I’ve found an obvious clue to that puzzle. Again, Zak and Lydia are very silent as to what the object of the puzzle is. I just found myself running around in a maze. I’ll give it another go next thing though. I’m stuck on puzzles in the forge and observatory anyway.Smile

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Veovis - 12 April 2021 05:02 PM

I have been inside the bottle and ran around for a while but experienced the only crash I’ve had so far and I haven’t revisited yet. Not sure I’ve found an obvious clue to that puzzle. Again, Zak and Lydia are very silent as to what the object of the puzzle is. I just found myself running around in a maze. I’ll give it another go next thing though.

There is an illustration there that can help with the directions.

I’m stuck on puzzles in the forge and observatory anyway.Smile

Been there.  Done that.  Finally got the t-shirt.  Smile

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 1239

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

I have solved Art Room and Forge puzzles. I gave observatory puzzle a try and while I think I understood the mechanics, it either too hard or I’m too lazy and impatient, so I used the solving hint option.

So I guess I need to solve Solarium puzzle, potion to transform Zak into human and head to the Sanctuary. Hopefully I will end the game tomorrow.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Lady Kestrel - 12 April 2021 05:48 PM

Been there.  Done that.  Finally got the t-shirt.  Smile

Same! Laughing One more trial to go.. I think.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

I’m a bit behind.

Personally I am stuck in the forge and the observatory. And I refuse to use the hints let alone a WT, I’d feel that would be cheating myself, especially if I’ve got this far without using any of that.

The forge is frustrating me a bit, I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong. I exposed the runes with the word fire but nothing happens. I’ve done it twice and nothing. I thought maybe I should do it the other way around? Expose all but the runes that form the word fire and nothing again. I exposed them all together at the same time, nothing. Then I tried with Earth, Water, Air just in case and still nothing happens. So I started to wander around, my mind was thinking “Did I forget something? Is there something else here that I’m not seeing?” But I can’t find anything. I analyse the tapestry and still can’t find what my mistake is. There is nothing left but to keep trying.

Regarding the Observatory. Trying to find or rather decipher the mechanics of this puzzle. The tapestry apparently only serves to guess the riddle and choose the right constellations. But turning all those rings is another story, especially trying to put the numbers in order. Outer rings for a succession of numbers, and so on to the inner rings, so that the inner ring forms the last combination and in order, or does each combination use all the rings? For now, I drew on a piece of paper how each ring reacts when one or the other ring is pressed and in which position. And what about that spinning ball? I still don’t quite know what the function is. It remains to be seen ~ .

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 175

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

I was thinking about the forge puzzle and it was bugging me that i couldnt understand how it works and i finally realised the rules behind it.

First Spoiler: How the puzzle works and what is the goal. This offers a little more than 3rd in game hint without giving the solution.

Its clear from the hints and tapestry that the word you need for the puzzle is fire. If you look at tapestry you see that each letter of fire has a diferrent rune. So there are 4 runes that are forming the word fire. Each rune is a diferent letter. One rune for f, one for i, one for r and one for e. The board had 9 tiles and each tile can be toggled on or off. All those tiles have 9 diferent runes each. If you number the tiles from top left to bottom right then number 5 represents letter f, number 6 letter i, number 7 letter r and number 8 letter e. So if someone wanted to type fire, he would press the tiles 5, 6, 7 and 8 in a row.

At first i thought that the solution is to make those 4 tiles visible - toggled on and have all other tiles invisible - toggled off so only the word fire is visible on board. This is wrong.

Actually this puzzle is about inputing the code word fire in the board. But there are 2 rules. First you need to input the word fire in a row without break, which is you need to press 5, 6, 7, 8 tiles in a row without break. But there is a catch. What i was missing and was communicated poorly from game is that you need to input the above code while the 4 specific tiles that form the word fire are toggled on. That creates the problem that when you toggle on a tile, adjacent tiles toggle off. For example from the start of the puzzle with the board empty if you press the first letter of the code, which is f and the 5th tile you toggle this tile on. This Step does nothing for the code as you need to press the letter f while is allready toggled on. So if you press again the letter f then the tile goes off and that counts as step 1 for the code. Then as second step you need to press the letter i. But if you did what i explained the letter i is now toggled off and if you press it, it breaks the code because it needs to be on while you press it to count as step 2.
So basically the rules are you need to press the 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th tiles - runes - letters in a row while they are toggled on.

Second spoiler: Solution

So you basically need to prepare the board in a way that you are able to press 5, 6, 7, and 8 tiles while they are all on. Easiest way to do this is press the 8th tile first. This way you toggle the 5th tile on and have the rest of the tiles at their appropriate status. So the sequence is: press 8 so you prepare the board, then input the word fire pressing 5, 6, 7, 8 in a row without stop. You ll notice that after you prepare the board while you do this sequence all the 4 tiles are toggled on when you press them.

Actually the answer is simple, it is just poorly communicated by the game.

Total Posts: 1239

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Well, I finished the game.

I didn’t like solarium puzzle, it was very tiresome for me changing seasons to see what plants grow there... I also didn’t understand the logic behind the last puzzle, sanctuary’s portal. If the poem says from highest sky to the bottom of the sea, one assumes the first object is the meterorite and the last one is the pearl, but no. I solved it by trying every combination being sure that the first one was the meteorite, but…

Nevertheless, I have enjoyed this community walktrhough. The game transmits a sense of wonder that not many games do, I love the Academy although it was difficult to navigate at first, Lady Kestrel did a superb work guiding as. I didn’t expect such a sad ending, I always thought they would cure Celeste. Really, all that magic and they can’t cure her? Ok, I will buy it because is how the story goes.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I just got the power on. I’m feeling really stupid though, no one else seemed to have any problems with the puzzle, but I had loads. I mean, I knew pretty much immediately what I was supposed to do with the controllers, but I just couldn’t for the life of me figure out which directions all those roman numerals were pointing at. It was just trial and error one or two controllers at a time to see where the power flows. And even then I was stuck when I tried to make the pattern from the top to the left side, then go right, down and back left. I just couldn’t get the power to reach the final machine. Then I tried to mirror the pattern, and it suddenly worked. Though still those numerals were all over the place. Did I miss something?

This would have been a fun puzzle if I just were able to pick up on the directions.

The Academy is huge indeed, and very labyrinthine. It’s just a completely ridiculous design. The students are probably in good shape though.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

millenia - 14 April 2021 11:53 AM

I just got the power on. I’m feeling really stupid though, no one else seemed to have any problems with the puzzle, but I had loads. I mean, I knew pretty much immediately what I was supposed to do with the controllers, but I just couldn’t for the life of me figure out which directions all those roman numerals were pointing at. It was just trial and error one or two controllers at a time to see where the power flows. And even then I was stuck when I tried to make the pattern from the top to the left side, then go right, down and back left. I just couldn’t get the power to reach the final machine. Then I tried to mirror the pattern, and it suddenly worked. Though still those numerals were all over the place. Did I miss something?

This would have been a fun puzzle if I just were able to pick up on the directions.

The Academy is huge indeed, and very labyrinthine. It’s just a completely ridiculous design. The students are probably in good shape though.

I had a problem with the power on puzzle too. It finally made sense when I realized the roman numerals pertained to the angles not the straight lines.
For Walas74   “From the highest sky to the bottom of the sea, mankind manages to bend the elements to its will.”  Go through the key words. Sky(meterorite), sea(pearl), mankind (souls),  Element (flame)
Thank you Nico2021 for explaining the Forge puzzle. I always want to know the logic behind the solve.

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

millenia - 14 April 2021 11:53 AM

I definitely had problems with that puzzle, but eventually solved it based on some trial & error and guesswork. I think it’s kind of representative for the general puzzle design unfortunately. A lack of feedback and too few or obscure clues.

Just finished the game. Interesting to revisit it after 15 years, but unfortunately I didn’t like it much better this time around. The addition of the map since I played it the first time at least made the second part of the game playable and Lady Kestrel setting up goals for each section took some of the frustration out. But my main criticism of the game is the lack of direction and the prerequisite that the player must be able to read the developers’ minds. Too many times I felt left in limbo, with no idea what the game expected me to do next. A lot of puzzles may seem to be solvable at any given time, but in fact the game is extremely linear, often without any logical explanation as to why a certain puzzle must be solved before another and rarely with any feedback from the game when trying to solve a puzzle prematurely. And some puzzles are just not adequately clued. I more or less managed to avoid using the built-in hint system until I just gave up on the Observatory puzzle. The game trying to explain the logic behind some of the clues to that one was a borderline give-me-my-money-back moment for me.Smile Same thing with parts of the Forge puzzle.

On the positive side: I liked the setting, and the premise for the story works I guess. So with a little more intelligent game design Keepsake could have been quite enjoyable. And some puzzles and sections of the game was good, the section with the dragon and oracle puzzles for example. And even though I didn’t particularly like the game it was still fun participating in the playthrough. Thanks for leading it Lady Kestrel! Great job!

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

Big thanks to you for leading another excellent community playthrough, Lady Kestrel! And to everyone else who participated, of course.

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

colpet - 14 April 2021 01:43 PM

I had a problem with the power on puzzle too. It finally made sense when I realized the roman numerals pertained to the angles not the straight lines.

Mm, I guess it at least makes more sense like that but it’s still kinda iffy. Like choosing a top or bottom number in the middle parts, for the flow to come from left and continue left or right to right. If I even understood what you meant. Anyway, I managed the puzzle, just a bit disappointed it turned out to be such a frustrating experience when there were building blocks for a good puzzle there.

Otherwise I progressed quite a lot, but then I had a crash and noticed I didn’t remember to save for a while… So I think I’m giving it a rest for a bit before replay so the whole experience doesn’t become too annoying.

Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

That’s frustrating, Millenia.  I think most of us have had at least one crash or freeze during the game.

I agree with everyone that clues within the game itself were lacking in many instances.  Verbal clues from Zak or Lydia or even written or visual clues could have made a difference with the flow of the game. 

Despite its weaknesses, I still liked the game very much, and I’m happy that so many players decided to give it a try.  I’m going to leave this pinned until Saturday, but please feel free to post your comments anytime.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Lady Kestrel - 14 April 2021 04:38 PM

That’s frustrating, Millenia.  I think most of us have had at least one crash or freeze during the game.

I played the Steam version and had technical problems with the ship-in-a-bottle puzzle. The game constantly crashed in that part, with an obviously Steam client related error message. The crashes were still random, so it was possible to get through it after a few tries. But I’d recommend anyone who plays the Steam version to be extra careful and save often while working on that puzzle.

It also crashed during the credits.

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Okay, the save wasn’t too much far back. Though it was just before I spoke to Elvandar and his long animations make it rather impossible to skip the dialogue… so yeah.

Anyway, trying to slouch through all the stuff I already did now, so I can continue later tonight or tomorrow.

And while I’m whining about a puzzle or crash here, I don’t really think the game is bad, I just want to gather my feedback from a longer portion before I write it down here.

Something positive I can say right aways is that I’ve always loved the cover art, Lydia just looks so beautiful in it. It’s too bad she can’t be as beautiful in-game, but those would be just insane graphics for the time and budget.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top