• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #65 - Keepsake

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Welcome to the community playthrough of Keepsake!

You will be playing the game as Lydia, who arrives at the very impressive Dragonvale Academy to begin her first day of school.  She is supposed to meet her friend there, but all may not go as planned.

To start, play through the introduction to glimpse some scenes from the academy.  Listen carefully to the unnamed narrator.  His identity will become clearer as the game progresses.

After the intro, you will meet a man who will take you through a tutorial of the game’s mechanics: navigation, interaction with objects and characters, inventory, hint system, and menu.  All the things you will need will be in the lower left hand corner during the game. 

Please note that there are 8 save slots.  If you go past 8, they will begin to overwrite the previous saves.  Since there is no load button, just press continue to bring up the saves.

After the tutorial, explore the area around the academy, including the trail along the river, and solve the door puzzle.  Stop before you enter the academy.

Let me know when you’ve reached this point.  We’ll begin the first section of the playthrough tomorrow (Tuesday).  Also, let me know whether or not you’ve played the game before.

Image Attachments

KS_first_view.png

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

The doors are open and I’ve done what I can outside (I think).

It’s been 15 years since I last played this so I don’t remember much of the game. I don’t think neither the map nor the hint system were in the original EU version that I played. The lousy skip dialog function is the same though… What’s the point of skipping dialog if you still have to wait and watch the character complete his/her lines?

And that voice of Mustavio…

The 3d characters are pretty ugly. There’s no in-game option for anti-aliasing, but setting the graphics card to apply it in the game seems to work so far and it looks quite a bit better. Hopefully it doesn’t mess up anything else in the game.

Image Attachments

Screenshot_noaa_(2).jpgScreenshot_aa8_(2).jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Total Posts: 1238

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Hi!

Are we supposed to open the door before tomorrow to start the first section? It is going to be very difficult for me to play today…

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 36

Joined 2020-08-13

PM

Thanks Lady Kestrel for doing this!

Wow, not an amazing start. I got caught in the map while the culturally-insensitive life-sized Luigi was talking and had to restart, thus discovering: UNSKIPPABLE CUTSCENES!  Sick

It’s also funny that there’s a tutorial to tell you how to click on the screen to walk and that an hourglass means “Wait.” This game was made in 2006, not 1995!

Anyway, that’s all just silly stuff. I’m excited to play with you folks!

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Thank you LK, you’re awesome!

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

walas74 - 15 March 2021 03:26 PM

Hi!

Are we supposed to open the door before tomorrow to start the first section? It is going to be very difficult for me to play today…

You can do it all tomorrow, Walas.  It doesn’t take that long.

Yes, we all know what a gear and a magnifying glass does.  I think the tutorial was added to make it more appealing to casual players, but it’s not skipable for those of us who don’t need it. 

I’ve decided to play full screen, even though windowed mode is clearer.  Sorry about the small screenshot in the intro. I had to reduce the size for an attachment because Photobucket is doing an upgrade and isn’t loading my pics yet.

Awww!  Thanks, Diego!  I’m hoping to keep a couple steps ahead.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’ve installed and opened the game, so I’m ready to go. Not really going to be able to play this evening (other than just verifying the game works), but ready for tomorrow.

This will be my first time playing the game, although I did follow along the “Let’s Play” that diego started here several years ago. I have little to no memory of that apart from liking the graphics and liking the concept of the game.
Looking forward to finally play it!

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

It’s my first time, too, although I had to replay a section yesterday because I had a freeze.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

First time playing it.

First impressions:

- The graphics seem to me to be pretty good, I have nothing to say, I’m never too demanding in this sense.
- The tutorial seemed a bit unnecessary. And Mustavio’s voice…..  -_-
- I opened the door to the academy but I didn’t enter yet, I just walked around and I met Mustavio again, from that dialogue it turned out that apparently there’s nobody in the academy (shouldn’t the game have waited for me to enter the academy and realize it by myself before this part of the conversation is available?), anyway it doesn’t matter.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Lady Kestrel - 15 March 2021 01:19 PM

After the intro, you will meet a man who will take you through a tutorial of the game’s mechanics…

Ahh… Mustavio! With over the top, baaad Italian accent. But much better things are waiting around the corner! 

Lady Kestrel - 15 March 2021 01:19 PM

Please note that there are 8 save slots.  If you go past 8, they will begin to overwrite the previous saves.  Since there is no load button, just press continue to bring up the saves.

Yes, and you can have multiple “accounts”, meaning having another game progress independently, with another 8 slots (Hey, that comes in handy if more people are using the same computer, and playing Keepsake, so everyone has his own progress! But since those instances are rare, I guess that’s why this system didn’t catch on! Smile )

The game was patched to 1.6 quickly after it was released, the Steam version comes with it, but if you have old version, patch it so you get the map. This game is nearly impossible to play without the map, trust me! (unless you’re a masochist!) Even with a map, I still want to draw my own map of the place! (Maybe I will!) Pen and paper comes at handy anyway, for the logic puzzles as well.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Due to my work schedule, I tend to only get time to play later on in the week or only on weekends. Please go ahead with the game tomorrow. Don’t wait for me.

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

I’ve reached the stopping point by opening the huge doors.

This is the first time I play the game. Looking forward to sharing the experience with all of you.

Total Posts: 1238

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Well, I managed to get some free time and I explored the surroundings and opened the huge doors. I am thrilled!

This is the first time I play the game and it will be my pleasure to share the journey with you all.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

OK, I have installed, poked around outside the Academy and got the doors open.

This is my first time playing Keepsake and I’ve only really been dimly aware of it over the years from Diego and others mentioning it. I’ve looked and thought, yeah, maybe one day. To be honest it’s probably a CPT or never!

Not much to go on so far and my first impressions are middling.

I agree the tutorial is probably pointless and definitely too long. Unless I missed it, it also didn’t explain the one thing I wanted it to - why does a blue arrow appear over her head when I right click?

Quality wise, this game seems to sit in a peculiar no man’s land I have between freeware and commercial games. This is probably just me, but I have enjoyed amateur/indie/freeware games for years as well as commercial and to be honest I have dual standards in judging them. There’s quite a lot I’m absolutely fine with from an ‘amateur’ effort that annoy me from a commercial one.

So far, this game looks exceptional for an amateur effort from 2006 but not good enough for a commercial one to me. There are more animations in there then I would expect from an amateur effort - like the Knights who play the chimes on the fountain but they are often not well integrated - they really bring the immersion/pace of proceedings to a halt when after a dialogue line I have to wait a couple of seconds for the characters to finish what they are doing for control to return to me.

On the whole, I think I’m going to conceptualise this as an amateur effort so I can be impressed by the good that’s in there rather than impatient by the bits that aren’t so great.

And if the story and puzzles turn out to be strong then I won’t care that much about some janky visuals and mechanics. I’m hoping so anyway!

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve explored the area & opened the doors. I played the game on release & do remember a hint system but don’t remember the map just yet.  It is possible that I did download the patch at the time when it became available.
I’m playing on Win 7 64 bit using the original game disc. The game has installed okay & played flawlessly so far & I have downloaded the patch.

I know at the time there was a lot of criticism of the voice of Mustavio - I didn’t mind it so much at the time but this time around I found it grating. I didn’t seem to have a problem skipping through dialogue.

So far perhaps the graphics aren’t up to that of other games but so far I’m enjoying playing on a far larger monitor than previously & still find the environments & the scale of them very impressive.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Now that you’ve opened those massive dragon doors, it’s time to start your exploration of the academy. 

Since the school is so large and with many hidden nooks and crannies that you may stumble upon, I think the best way to proceed is to state the major goal for the section and to suggest areas on your map that should be visited to help achieve the goal and move the story along. 

On your map, the area you are in is highlighted in blue.  There is no specific “you are here” indicator, but at least you’ll know the general vicinity in which you’re standing. 

Section 1
Main goal:  Get the power on

In this first section, which will be a long one, explore the grand hall and storeroom area first, then proceed up the main staircase to the enchanted crossway.  This can be a confusing area with many sets of steps leading to different levels and changing camera angles, but it’s best to familiarize yourself with it.  You can ignore the academy’s facade and the aqueduct for now, if you wish, but the back section of the garden and the basement are important to visit this time. STOP WHEN YOU GET THE POWER WORKING.

As usual, pick up anything that’s useful, read what you can, and try any puzzles you may come across.  The game will let you know whether you can complete a puzzle or not. 

When discussing a section, please use spoiler tags.

Let’s give this first part a week to complete, which takes us to Tues., March 23.  More time can be allotted, especially for those who get lost easily.  Wink

Carpe chocolate.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top