• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoluckyloser

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game are you playing right now?

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Some more glowing reviews: (since we are all taking them as gospel here)

Destructoid
40%
“If you are truly desperate for good puzzles and sumptuous art, then you could do worse than play A New Beginning, but I found it impossible to look past the many issues and really enjoy the few things it manages to do right.”

Gamer Chronicles
1.5/5
“A dismal attempt at adventure gaming with horrible dialogue and poorly implemented puzzles.”

Gamer.no
40%
“A game that tries present itself as a serious “eco thriller” but fails completely due to stupid, illogical puzzles, moronic characters and poor dialogues.”

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Yes, let’s take the reviews as gospel:

CD-Action
Aug 2, 2011
Cartoony graphics contrast with a mature story that deals with a serious subject of climate changes caused by human carelessness and is devoid of humor. Instead of puns and wordplays we get well written, intriguing dialogues between believable characters with vivid personalities. [August 2011, p.66]

Multiplayer.it
Jun 22, 2011
A serious, committed and engaging adventure: A New Beginning is easily one of the best adventure of the year.

PC Games
Nov 28, 2012
I am glad to finally see an adventure game that uses its narrative potential to address some important ecological themes and ideas. Even though the conclusion of the sci-fi story seems a little unrewarding, I always had a good time playing the game. Puzzles are generally solid, the hand painted graphics are beautiful and most of the (German) voice acting is well done. A New Beginning may not be perfect, but it’s mature, surprising and quite simply fun to play.

Adventure Gamers
Jun 3, 2011
A few technical failings aside, A New Beginning comes highly recommended. It’s not often that I consider a game hard to put down, but I found myself getting deeply invested in the plot as it unravelled thanks to its convincing characterisation and an increasingly gripping storyline. Although there’s an obvious environmental focus, there’s also a strong heart to the story and it’s this that powers your desire to play on. Any minor problems that arise are quickly overshadowed by the stunning artwork and the inventive, well-integrated puzzles, so whatever your view on global warming, do yourself a favour and shell out the green for A New Beginning.

This is my last post on the subject in this thread. I’ve made my point, lots of people like this game. We are derailing this thread and we need to stop that.

I’m going to start a thread to discuss this game.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Day 3 of Conquest of the Longbow. That Sierra intro gets me every time.

Robin has more costume changes than Zanthia! I used to love wandering around in Kyrandia. And Tamir, Llewdor, Daventry.. you get the idea. Sherwood is a similar place.

I’m not going by the playthrough, but I did read up on earlier comments in another thread. Oh wow, this game comes with a manual, hint book and something called a Square Patter? It had dawned on me I was freestyling when I should’ve come prepared, but this explains a lot. I can imagine how cool an actual booklet must’ve been, it’s a nice read with some beautiful illustrations.

Total Posts: 36

Joined 2020-08-13

PM

PlanetX - 10 March 2021 08:56 AM

Isn’t a new beginning one of the Daedalic games everyone says is great? Or am I bugging?

I might be ready to get burned by trying another Daedalic game soon. I think I’ve disliked every game I’ve tried from them. Silence looks pretty cool tho.

I think it depends what it is you dislike about Daedalic games.

A New Beginning is beautiful. The puzzles are mostly perfectly fine. There’s an environmental message that is great, if incredibly muddied by the end of the game…

But the writing and voice acting are… in my opinion… really really bad. Part of it is translation but as someone pointed out earlier in this thread, the plot also gets pretty wack.

However, I think what turns people off in Daedalic games is that their worlds are often so big and open that it’s disorienting and the main characters are obnoxious (Rufus, Sadwick), and this game doesn’t have those problems at all.

So again, depends on your preferences.

Total Posts: 837

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Vegetable Party - 11 March 2021 08:43 AM

Day 3 of Conquest of the Longbow. That Sierra intro gets me every time.

Robin has more costume changes than Zanthia! I used to love wandering around in Kyrandia. And Tamir, Llewdor, Daventry.. you get the idea. Sherwood is a similar place.

I’m not going by the playthrough, but I did read up on earlier comments in another thread. Oh wow, this game comes with a manual, hint book and something called a Square Patter? It had dawned on me I was freestyling when I should’ve come prepared, but this explains a lot. I can imagine how cool an actual booklet must’ve been, it’s a nice read with some beautiful illustrations.

Hey, yeah! You’ve *gotta* download the manual to play this game! You don’t need the hint book or square patter, though. I actually own them all though! This is one of the few games that I own in big box form, with all 6 disks and documentation inside. It’s one of my favorite decorations, and a blast to take out every now and then when I replay the game.

Speaking of the intro, how about that little smirk Robin gives in the title screen after shooting the arrow and you hear the *twang…thwack!*

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Yesterday over breakfast I finished Ben There, Dan That. You can see my thoughts in the ‘games you just finished thread’. Over lunch I started Time Gentlemen, Please. (And I play A New Beginning while eating dinner, in case anyone was curious.)

So far, this is a much much better game than BT,DT. The jokes are funnier, the puzzles are more involved and clever, the plot is more engaging (ie. More than just there because it has to be), and the graphics and interface have been cleaned up *just enough* to make it more enjoyable to interact with.

I still think a lot of the humor is forced, particularly the ‘adult’ stuff. I’m okay with cursing and ‘immature mature themes’, but some of this smacks of a 15 year old who just learned some new words/concepts/saw his first few episodes of South Park, and thinks that every joke involving sexy times that can be made, should be made.
Immature mature humor must be some of the hardest stuff to write well. For me, Ben and Dan succeed half the time. The rest of the humor is very good 90% of the time, though, which is GREAT.

So yeah, this is highly recommended so far, and I can’t wait to play Lair Of The Clockwork God, so I can actually give these guys some real money in exchange for all this entertainment, and because I here it’s absolutely splendid.
(I think BD,DT and TG,P can be bought for like $1.99 on GOG or Steam…maybe less. Great deal.)

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I’m playing the Phoenix Wright Trilogy right now. Played all three games when they came out for the Nintendo DS back in the days, but figured it was time for a replay. Tried the trilogy before on the iPad, but that version was not very good. The PC version on Steam is much better. Have just reached the end of the original first game, just about to start the extra chapter that was made for the DS-version.

I want to drag my DS out of the closet now. The DS era was amazing, so many great adventure games exclusive to the DS. It got me into handheld gaming. Now, everyone gets the same games pretty much.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Adv_Lvr - 11 March 2021 09:21 PM

I’m playing the Phoenix Wright Trilogy right now. Played all three games when they came out for the Nintendo DS back in the days, but figured it was time for a replay. Tried the trilogy before on the iPad, but that version was not very good. The PC version on Steam is much better. Have just reached the end of the original first game, just about to start the extra chapter that was made for the DS-version.

I want to drag my DS out of the closet now. The DS era was amazing, so many great adventure games exclusive to the DS. It got me into handheld gaming. Now, everyone gets the same games pretty much.

Heart

This series might be the biggest ‘I Can’t Believe I Never Played It’ of my life. My whole family was into it on the DS, playing them all on virtually day one. For some reason, I never did. I am going to get it on Switch real soon and give it a go. Man, looking forward to this!

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Lol I’m also playing Ace Attorney right now. I actually played the first game back in the day, but I’ve forgotten everything, how funny and exciting it was. I’m on my 3rd case and it’s getting only better. The art is not so good, and there’s also plenty of talking, but, strangely enough, it doesn’t play like your average visual novel - you just feel involved all the time. Objection! And I can see now where they got the idea for Ghost Trick from.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Doom - 11 March 2021 09:44 PM

Lol I’m also playing Ace Attorney right now. I actually played the first game back in the day, but I’ve forgotten everything, how funny and exciting it was. I’m on my 3rd case and it’s getting only better. The art is not so good, and there’s also plenty of talking, but, strangely enough, it doesn’t play like your average visual novel - you just feel involved all the time. Objection! And I can see now where they got the idea for Ghost Trick from.

Sigh. Okay, I’ll download this weekend. Since so many forum members seem to be playing it, it’ll be fun to play it together.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Day 4 of Conquest of the Longbow (day 6 in game).
what I really like: the puzzles, the manual, exploring Sherwood Forest, a couple of beautiful locations and the sense of adventure. What I like: most of the banter, the notion you get to make (real) decisions without being railroaded. What I don’t like: the game gets lowkey homophobic with the abbey monks.

Nine Men’s Morris-playing dude in the pub:

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Vegetable Party - 14 March 2021 10:29 AM

Day 4 of Conquest of the Longbow (day 6 in game).
what I really like: the puzzles, the manual, exploring Sherwood Forest, a couple of beautiful locations and the sense of adventure. What I like: most of the banter, the notion you get to make (real) decisions without being railroaded. What I don’t like: the game gets lowkey homophobic with the abbey monks.

Nine Men’s Morris-playing dude in the pub:

I agree with all of this, and I love how you call out the manual as a positive. It is such a good one!

I am in the middle of two games right now.
My King’s Quest series (re-re-re-re)Play Through continues with King’s Quest IV: The Perils of Rosella.
Such a fun game. It’s the only one in the series to have not been remade in VGA point ‘n click format, and I have mixed emotions about that. On the one hand, I would love for AGD/Himalaya studios to have continued their KQ Redux saga with an expanded version of this game; I love everything they’ve ever made, and I’m sure they would do a bang up job of this. On the other hand, as much as I am sometimes lazy and avoid text parser games, I think it’s ultimately the most immersive way to play an adventure game and role play your character. The text parser also removes the possibility of brute forcing most puzzles, since you can’t just click everything on everything—intentions must be stated before the action is taken, rather than realized retrospectively.
Ultimately, I suppose my emotions aren’t mixed after all. I want a Himalaya Studios VGA Redux of this game, and I want the original one, too!
Of the original Sierra versions of KQ, this one ranks 2nd or 3rd for me. KQ VI is #1, and then there’s this and KQ V. ‘KQ V?’ you ask? Yes, KQ V. The nostalgia is strong with this one, and I can’t separate the game from the personal memories and times ‘n places I’ve played it.

The other game I’m playing, which I just started last night, is Anna’s Quest by Daedalic Studios.
When I booted up the game, I did not know it was a Daedalic game…I might not have bought it if I had. HOWEVER! I am so pleased to disappoint those of you who enjoyed my lambasting reviews of A New Beginning: After around 40 minutes of playing, Anna’s Quest is the most promising Daedalic game yet! Anna seems like a likable protagonist, her voice acting is good, and all of the characters I’ve met so far have been enjoyable enough…although the bear might get annoying, I’m afraid. Can’t wait to see how this pans out, so much trepidation!
(My other experiences with this company have been The Whispered World (3/10), A New Beginning (2/10), Chains of Satinav (7.5/10), and Memoria (5 or 6/10). Maybe one other which is slipping my mind.
Stay tooned!

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Baron_Blubba - 27 March 2021 01:54 PM

The other game I’m playing, which I just started last night, is Anna’s Quest by Daedalic Studios.
When I booted up the game, I did not know it was a Daedalic game…I might not have bought it if I had.

You are aware of the important difference between publisher and developer? Daedalic both developed and published games like Edna, Whispered World, Deponia series, but is the publisher of Anna’s Quest, developed by another company.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Karlok - 27 March 2021 02:10 PM

When I booted up the game, I did not know it was a Daedalic game…I might not have bought it if I had.

You are aware of the important difference between publisher and developer? Daedalic both developed and published games like Edna, Whispered World, Deponia series, but is the publisher of Anna’s Quest, developed by another company.

Yeah, I know. But there seem to be some elements that permeated every Daedalic game I’ve played so far. It’s like they’re all written by different authors, but edited by the same editor.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Baron_Blubba - 27 March 2021 02:26 PM
Karlok - 27 March 2021 02:10 PM

Yeah, I know. But there seem to be some elements that permeated every Daedalic game I’ve played so far. It’s like they’re all written by different authors, but edited by the same editor.

Okay, I’ll give it another try.
So far, you’ve only played games that were developed by Daedalic. Anna’s Quest is the first one you’ve played that they didn’t develop in-house.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top