• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game have you just finished?

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

I couldn’t get through Ben There, Dan That or Time Gentlemen, Please. From what I played of each I thought they were hilarious, I just wasn’t in the state of mind for that kind of inventory-based trial and error type of gameplay.

The 3rd game however, Lair of the Clockwork God, went down like melted butter. The humor was still there along with puzzles I didn’t have to be stuck on for the majority of the game.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Just finished Lamplight City. It was unusual because it had a Steampunk genre feel for it, and well implemented too. So yes, another big yes recommendation from me. The game had some strange characterizations in it that added to it, also, it was very mature. So, if you are a steampunk fan, your ship has come in.

The graphics were good for an indie game, fairly colorful and during conversations the portraits would move their lips and eyes and this added to me finding the conversational parts of the game enjoyable.

Again, I got the game cheap, so as usual, that contributes to me posting a positive review.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 837

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Adv_Lvr - 13 March 2021 03:17 PM

Just finished Lamplight City. It was unusual because it had a Steampunk genre feel for it, and well implemented too. So yes, another big yes recommendation from me. The game had some strange characterizations in it that added to it, also, it was very mature. So, if you are a steampunk fan, your ship has come in.

The graphics were good for an indie game, fairly colorful and during conversations the portraits would move their lips and eyes and this added to me finding the conversational parts of the game enjoyable.

Again, I got the game cheap, so as usual, that contributes to me posting a positive review.

Heart

Thanks for your review, been thinking about this game. Can you tell me a little about the puzzles?

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Adv_Lvr - 13 March 2021 03:17 PM

Heart

I own the game also and got I think to the last case and for some reason just stopped. I think it was the puzzles or lack thereof. The game reminded me of the Blackwell series with how you investigate. for whatever reason the game didn’t connect with me. the banter between the main protagonist and his dead partner just wasn’t very good at least to me. But saying all that, it is a quality made game as far as art and voice acting goes

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

I’m not sure there were any puzzles in Lamplight City.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Thanks for your review, been thinking about this game. Can you tell me a little about the puzzles?

The game does have puzzles. However, it has no inventory. If you have the proper item it will be used automatically when you need to use it.

You still need to find items and have them in your casebook to utilize them. This site has an excellent walkthrough if you get stuck, and I did in chapter 4.

With stunning visuals, solid sound and music, and nuanced worldbuilding that many adventure games would kill for, it’s unfortunate that Lamplight City is lacking in the one area that distinguishes games over other storytelling media: interactivity.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1239

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

I played Lamplight City a few months ago because I am translating it into Spanish at the moment and I really enjoyed it. Puzzles are just like Adv_Lvr said, you feel like a real detective and the setting (distopic steampunk victorian USA) is very interesting.

Maybe a little overwritten is the only flow I could mention.

Oh, one more thing. It is a game where you can be wrong solving the cases and it doesn’t matter, you can continue… (well, it does matter to the innocents blamed haha)...

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Adv_Lvr - 14 March 2021 10:40 AM

The game does have puzzles. However, it has no inventory. If you have the proper item it will be used automatically when you need to use it.

You still need to find items and have them in your casebook to utilize them. This site has an excellent walkthrough if you get stuck, and I did in chapter 4.

With stunning visuals, solid sound and music, and nuanced worldbuilding that many adventure games would kill for, it’s unfortunate that Lamplight City is lacking in the one area that distinguishes games over other storytelling media: interactivity.

Heart

Bummer, I’ll probably skip it then. I like interactivity in my games. That was very well said, Adv_Lvr, and exactly the type of answer I was looking for.

Are Shardlight and Unavowed like this as well? For some reason I associate all three of these games…maybe because they are relatively big names in the Wadjeteye stable.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Baron_Blubba - 14 March 2021 08:50 PM
Adv_Lvr - 14 March 2021 10:40 AM

Heart

Bummer, I’ll probably skip it then. I like interactivity in my games. That was very well said, Adv_Lvr, and exactly the type of answer I was looking for.

Are Shardlight and Unavowed like this as well? For some reason I associate all three of these games…maybe because they are relatively big names in the Wadjeteye stable.

Unavowed is def like that to a degree, bc in that game you can pick your team for each case so the puzzles have to be dumbed down to a degree. Plus dave gilbert openly admits he is not a puzzle design guy.

Shardlight also has a lot of problems but i liked it more then lamplight city

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Shardlight is another underrated game for me, it has puzzles and it is an improvement from Francisco González previous game A Golden Wake meaning you are not running errands all the time.

As for Unavowed, well, if you liked Life is Strange, To the Moon or The Walking Dead, you will like it. I say that because the most important thing in the game is its narrative as puzzles are not challenging. But I loved the characters and the twist of the story. But I can’t stand the abuse of password puzzles…

And believe me when I talk about Unavowed, my 153 hours played according to Steam proves it.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

walas74 - 15 March 2021 01:17 AM

Shardlight is another underrated game for me, it has puzzles and it is an improvement from Francisco González previous game A Golden Wake meaning you are not running errands all the time.

As for Unavowed, well, if you liked Life is Strange, To the Moon or The Walking Dead, you will like it. I say that because the most important thing in the game is its narrative as puzzles are not challenging. But I loved the characters and the twist of the story. But I can’t stand the abuse of password puzzles…

And believe me when I talk about Unavowed, my 153 hours played according to Steam proves it.

You are not kidding about the password puzzles. But i also thought most characters were severely underwritten besides the fire mage. Im also not a fan of a silent protagonist even though i understand why they did it. I hated how the banter shut off during screen changes, bc that was a neat idea. I really dont hate the game, i just found it painfully avg.

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

What can I say, I’m in love with Mandana and Sandra Espinoza, the actress who gives voice to her. I also love Vicky’s sense of humour. About a silent protagonist, well, once you play, you understand why. Trust me, translating the game was a pain in the ass because of the gender selection as nouns and adjectives have gender in Spanish and we had to addapt the transation so it worked for man and women…

Hence so many hours played…

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Ps i would def agree shardlight is better then golden wake

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Dang, so much of what I hear about Shardlight, Unavowed, and Lamplight City appeals to me. And so much turns me off. I think I will try one of them and see how it goes.
As someone who enjoys puzzles and interaction, but also values a good story well told, which would you kind folks recommend?
(If I don’t like the game you recommend, don’t worry, we can still be friends. Just a little bit less.)

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Baron_Blubba - 15 March 2021 02:43 PM

Dang, so much of what I hear about Shardlight, Unavowed, and Lamplight City appeals to me. And so much turns me off. I think I will try one of them and see how it goes.
As someone who enjoys puzzles and interaction, but also values a good story well told, which would you kind folks recommend?
(If I don’t like the game you recommend, don’t worry, we can still be friends. Just a little bit less.)

Do you mean among those three? Shardlight would be more balanced between puzzles and story, Unavowed definetely has a great story and poor puzzles, and Lamplight City is great as a detective game, but has no inventory as you work with suspects and clues.

That been said, if you haven’t played Technobabylon yet, start with it!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top