• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

LittleRose

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Yeah, despite it definitely crossing the too many pun threshold, I’m enjoying it quite a bit.  I had managed to avoid all descriptions of the game prior to its release, so it’s been a pleasant surprise.

I expected more of a typical Quest for Glory type game than a stat-building simulation of life in a school for adventurous rogues, despite the name making it obvious in retrospect.  But given that I enjoy this type of thing, I have no complaints about the path they’ve taken.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

For what its worth, people on Steam and GOG seem to be liking it.

Total Posts: 54

Joined 2007-02-17

PM

This just might be case of misjudging a book by its cover..I’ll wait for more reviews though.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

It looks like even RPGCodexers are liking it fine enough. And they don’t usually like anything and are not afraid of saying that.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

SoccerDude - 13 July 2018 07:46 PM

That’s not worth much actually, because the first “reviews” always come few minutes after games are released. I suppose there might be few early access players, but mostly I wouldn’t trust them.

As far as I know, they don’t even check whether the game is in your collection when submitting reviews.

Based on what I have heard about the game though it may be an OK game for those who have previously played and liked the Coles’ games.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

GateKeeper - 16 July 2018 02:28 PM
SoccerDude - 13 July 2018 07:46 PM

As far as I know, they don’t even check whether the game is in your collection when submitting reviews.

In GOG that is true but in Steam, you have to own the game.

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

I always keep an eye on how many hours they’ve played it when I’m reading reviews on Steam.

I agree, Gatekeeper, it’s pretty funny when one reads high praise/criticism of a game and they have 10 mins on record.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

I’ve spent a good 9 hours with the game. Its fun. Sometimes it starts to feel like things are sparse and theres not a lot to find with exploring.. but then i find little neat things here and there, and some magic items and mini-quests. The elective class is a nice touch so far too. I chose to make shawn part wizard and so naturally im now going around casting sense magic on everything. It gets a thumbs up from me so far.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

zane - 17 July 2018 10:45 PM

I’ve spent a good 9 hours with the game. Its fun. Sometimes it starts to feel like things are sparse and theres not a lot to find with exploring.. but then i find little neat things here and there, and some magic items and mini-quests. The elective class is a nice touch so far too. I chose to make shawn part wizard and so naturally im now going around casting sense magic on everything. It gets a thumbs up from me so far.

I signed up for magic class too, but then completely forgot about it until the final class, so I have very few magic powers. But that allowed me to work on my fitness so I’m now kicking major ass in combat!

Grin

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

I definitely feel like im on an upswing with the game right now. The castle has opened up more, and theres more multi-task stuff going on, while story events are peppered into activities. I like it quite a bit. It may be my favorite kickstarted “adventure revival” to date.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

It’s a tedious slog. As an adventure game it would okay, but they had to include extremely boring and lengthy dungeon-crawling sections which take up the bulk of the game. In the QFG games these sections were not nearly as prominent as they are here, and you didn’t have to spend each day going through the routines of eating, sleeping, going to the bathroom etc. It’s driving me crazy and I don’t think I will be able to keep playing for much longer.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Im slowly but surely making my way through the game. Last night i finished the sea caves treasure hunt. There were times where i was feeling frustrated and very unsure about how to proceed. The re-spawning of enemies made it more frustrating. And it got up to the very last day where katie set some sort of deadline for finding the treasure before i put all the pieces together. And it made all of the frustration worth it. The sea caves were a very fun and neat adventure all in all. I bested the gog king.. used explosives to tame the sea serpent, and then set him free and received the “won ring.” I defeated a zombie pirate in poker and took the title of captain, put together all the pieces of the puzzle to break the seal on the gate, and led my new undead crew to fight a cthuhlhu-ish monster. And at the end what awaited me was a ship full of treasure and the choice of a neat magic item… and the game goes on. Now thats adventure!

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Aaaand finished. 40 hours i spent with this game. It by far beat my expectations. They put together a very nice game with a lot of great ideas. It was a Cole’s game through and through. Exploring and solving the various scenarios was rewarding and fun. The routines of training and school life mostly worked because of the events peppered to keep things interesting. It wasnt until the last few hours of the game where i found myself with not much to do and just advancing time to get through it. Tediousness is a significant part of the game.. whether it be fighting dozens of combats or sneaking by them at a snails pace, the combat and dungeon crawling is tedious. The locations have just enough intrigue to ease the tediousness at intervals. There are plenty of interesting magical items to find. While im sure there are some minor things i missed here and there, i cant say that i think the game has replay value for me. The combats just are not things i want to repeat. But I enjoyed my time at Hero-u. The sea caves is probably the best part of the game by a solid margin.

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

My interest in giving this another try was peaked when I found out the Coles are still patching and improving it. After 2 years, that’s impressive.

I’m not sure I will though - the memories of waking, eating, classes and all the morning routines before getting to the dungeons to fight and then finding it’s nighttime and I have to do it all again - I’m not sure I have the patience for it. We’ll see.

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Total Posts: 291

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

As soon as I finish QFG V, and then Heroine’s quest, this is next on the list, I swear!  I keep getting seriously stuck though so it could be a few years.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top