• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Gray Matter prequel story happens 3 years in the future!? :S

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2004-02-17

PM

I’ve just finished Gray Matter for the first time a week ago, and I decided to read the short prequel story that I downloaded from an AG news item. [note: the links in that news item are now broken, but I found the story here]

To my surprise, I found that while the game definitely happens during 2005, the prequel story happens in 2008! (and there’s no doubt about it being a prequel story).

Can someone explain this ridiculous oversight by Jane Jansen?

By the way, I played the German\English special collectors edition (that has the soundtrack and a deck of cards and other bonuses in the game box). Perhaps the UK or US editions had the game set in 2008??

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

What makes you think the game took place in 2005? (I wouldn’t be surprised if something in the game points to that, just wondering what it is, since I don’t remember anything about it.)

Considering the game was in various stages of production for seven years (and it was far from finished at the time that this was posted), I wouldn’t be surprised if it was just a simple mistake. But even if it wasn’t, considering that the game was initially scheduled to ship within the year after this was posted, it probably made more sense at the time to date the story at Christmas 2008 (the timeframe it actually was, in reality) than to try to explain “here’s a story that takes place during Christmas four years ago, for a game that’s coming out next year, but is supposed to be describing the Christmas *before* the game takes place… anyway enjoy.”

I’ve played games where the dates/years are inconsistent *within the game*. That annoys me more than a discrepancy in the marketing materials.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

The game is set 3 years after Styles wife’s accident and I think it mentions the accident was 2002.

I would imagine the prequel story is just an oversight. THe dates in the game probably moved around over the seven year development.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2004-02-17

PM

Yeah, it’s probably an oversight or what fov suggested (though that’s a lame excuse, setting the story in 2004 wouldn’t cause anyone to wonder too much, so I’d go with oversight).

I didn’t REALLY think that they bothered to change the time frame for the Feb ‘11 UK\US release Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top