• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Post all your YouTube shit here!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

You should follow the AG Rock Community thread!

TimovieMan - 17 May 2016 03:44 AM

I knew David Draiman (of Disturbed) was a great singer, with an awesome voice for metal, but his rendition of The Sound of Silence is something else… Gasp

Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Heh.  I am so out of the Rock loop that I hadn’t even heard of Disturbed before this.  (For better or worse, I’ve missed a lot of the music waves by not having kids.)  I was listening to Simon and Garfunkel’s Greatest Hits album at my cousin’s house last night, and we were reminiscing about how many of the songs affected us during our high school and college years.  She then played that video clip for me that her kids had sent her, and I was blown away by it.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Thanks for sharing Lady Kestrel! Smile For me anyone else covering a S & G song is usually met with disappointment as Art Garfunkel’s voice just makes me melt to the point I could listen to him singing Baa Baa Black Sheep all day (& night!) Laughing But wow! what a great version from Disturbed!!!  Thumbs Up

NB I’m curious now about the ‘metal’ side of the band!  Laughing

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

chrissie - 10 September 2016 02:43 PM

NB I’m curious now about the ‘metal’ side of the band!  Laughing

Down with the Sickness (which was used in the Queen of the Damned soundtrack) pretty much made their name in 2000. It’s THE Disturbed song.
Other songs of note are Stricken, Remember, Voices, Asylum, Prayer, etc.
Occasionally, their albums contain covers where they do a particularly non-Disturbed-like number by one of their many influences in Disturbed-style. Land of Confusion for instance. Tongue

Their Sound of Silence song is rather the exception to the rule, since they kept it more or less intact, just with Draiman’s intense vocals. Apparently, Paul Simon approved of this version after hearing it on Conan. Thumbs Up

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Thanks for the links Tim!  Thumbs Up I’d already dabbled a little already & liked a lot!  Smile

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Draiman has a powerful voice and style, but after listening to the videos, I feel like I’ve been physically assaulted.  They’re way too heavy for me.  My taste runs to Chicago, Santana, and Meatloaf.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Well, I did say they were metal, and not that they were hard rock… Innocent

That Sound of Silence cover is very atypical for them.

Lady Kestrel - 11 September 2016 02:32 PM

Draiman has a powerful voice and style

Bit of trivia: he’s had acid reflux issues for his entire life which caused a rupture in his vocal chords, he’s had a lot of broken noses which cause him permanent breathing issues, and he has several lung issues as well (probably related to the acid reflux). Shouting could cause him permanent damage so he avoids doing it at nearly all times.

It’s basically a miracle he can sing as powerful as he can, he requires near-constant training just to maintain his voice, and all this might explain his rather unorthodox singing style…

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Even without the reflux, that style of singing can be rough on the vocal cords.  Nodules or ulcers can end a singing career, and so can any surgery requiring a breathing tube, which is why singers prefer local anesthesia over general.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Trailer thread not working so here it goes,

wilco - 20 October 2016 10:39 AM

Old Man Logan / The Last of Us

Probable best comic movie of 2017

Last of us movie trailer

Hollywood so homogenized

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

nomadsoul - 28 October 2016 06:47 PM

Last of us movie trailer

Hollywood so homogenized

Fan-made. Collected from various different movies (including Prisoners, The Road, World War Z and I Am Legend).

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

TimovieMan - 29 October 2016 03:01 AM
nomadsoul - 28 October 2016 06:47 PM

Last of us movie trailer

Hollywood so homogenized

Fan-made. Collected from various different movies (including Prisoners, The Road, World War Z and I Am Legend).

Thanks for spoiling the fun, and stating obvious Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 495

Joined 2008-07-23

PM

A love letter to Grim Fandango

Women come and go… a highscore lasts forever

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Abnaxus - 30 October 2016 04:55 PM

A love letter to Grim Fandango

I follow this guy, he does amazing job.