• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

zobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game are you playing right now?

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Playing The Sexy Brutale.

Despite the godawful name that’s probably going to cost the developer thousands of sales (I would never have even paid attention to it had it not been praised in this thread), it’s a pretty great game.

I’m a few hours into it, and I’ve prevented a few murders, and it’s fun. I have no idea how close I am to the end: on the one hand, the interface says I have only two murders left to prevent, but on the other hand it feels like I’ve barely scratched the surface. We’ll see.

The concept is fun, and repeating the same day over and over again doesn’t feel nearly as tedious as you’d think. Worst part so far are the controls, which are often a bit awkward.

Total Posts: 7420

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Started The Sexy Brutale yesterday, played it only 20 minutes or so and haven’t managed to prevent even the first murder. I want to like it, I really do. But those controls are too much for me. Escape, shift, X, Z, space bar, click right mouse button, position, click left mouse button. Awful.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Karlok - 30 April 2017 03:19 AM

Started The Sexy Brutale yesterday, played it only 20 minutes or so and haven’t managed to prevent even the first murder. I want to like it, I really do. But those controls are too much for me. Escape, shift, X, Z, space bar, click right mouse button, position, click left mouse button. Awful.

That’s a shame, I felt sure you would like it. It’s a beautiful experience if you play it through to the end. Embarassed 

I don’t really pay attention to controls much, though I probably should. I just tend to go with what I’m given and don’t think about whether it’s good or bad. Unless it’s something like Inside or Limbo when you need to execute timed movements.

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2013-02-24

PM

I am playing Thimbleweed Park, act 2…

Enjoying the game very much. It hits all the checkmarks of an old LucasArts adventure.

Great humor, amazing visuals, nice puzzles.

I have to hurry as my backlog is growing by the day… next should be Full Throttle.

Adventuring since 1986

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Started playing Primordia again having left it half finished a long time ago.

When you are some way into an adventure that you can remember nothing about, do you just start over?

Total Posts: 46

Joined 2003-11-23

PM

dumbeur - 03 May 2017 02:43 PM

Started playing Primordia again having left it half finished a long time ago.

When you are some way into an adventure that you can remember nothing about, do you just start over?

Generally with adventures, if the gap was so long that I forgot everything, I try to indeed restart the game. If I really can’t bring myself to it, I am likely to deduce that I’m apparently not that interested in finishing the game as well, and abandon it altogether. Same with books.

Specifically in the case of Primordia, I do recommend starting over. The world is very rich, and many elements mentioned early on have payoffs further down the line, story- or puzzlewise.

This space intentionally left blank.

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Thanks.  I think you are correct.  Primordia, in particular, has seemingly very deserved high ratings and should be shown the respect of a full play through.

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Replaying Telltale’s Tales of Monkey Island for the first time since the game was released eight (!) years ago. Finished the first two episodes. I’m having a lot of fun with both the humour and the puzzles.

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

Kurufinwe - 07 May 2017 11:29 AM

Replaying Telltale’s Tales of Monkey Island for the first time since the game was released eight (!) years ago. Finished the first two episodes. I’m having a lot of fun with both the humour and the puzzles.

I tried doing that last year and didn’t make past the first episode. When the novelty factor wore off it’s easily the worst MI game.

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

The worst? You badly need to replay MI4 if you’ve forgotten how awful it is.

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

Kurufinwe - 07 May 2017 11:51 AM

The worst? You badly need to replay MI4 if you’ve forgotten how awful it is.

I have replayed it twice and both times liked it more than the previous time. (First time I didn’t like it). TOMI was the opposite.

Total Posts: 6577

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

TOMI is indeed a game with a mature writing and sharp humor (it’s actually done by almost the same team who wrote MI4 - 9 years later!) but the gameplay is slightly downgraded even when compared to MI4 - it’s way, way too linear. One island at a time, couple of screens at a time. Not a problem per se, but I was probably spoiled by the fact that in an earlier MI games you could travel at will between islands, and enter plenty of shops in them (only couple of buildings are available at Flotsam Island, and if I remember correctly, there’s only a small portion at Spinner Cay when you can travel between two islands.)

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

diego - 07 May 2017 04:28 PM

TOMI is indeed a game with a mature writing and sharp humor (it’s actually done by almost the same team who wrote MI4 - 9 years later!) but the gameplay is slightly downgraded even when compared to MI4 - it’s way, way too linear. One island at a time, couple of screens at a time. Not a problem per se, but I was probably spoiled by the fact that in an earlier MI games you could travel at will between islands, and enter plenty of shops in them (only couple of buildings are available at Flotsam Island, and if I remember correctly, there’s only a small portion at Spinner Cay when you can travel between two islands.)

exactly. and this big (almost) portion of locations was only apparent the EP3 of the ToMI and that what made it the best of the Five.
ToMI was another escaping the room/location adventure with an illusion of a couple of Islands apparent with two location per se (as diego says) too linear to the fact of Monkey Island gameplaying strategy and style.

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Replaying Keepsake. Just finished the first half.

And… meh. I was in the mood for some solitary exploration and self-contained puzzles, and didn’t actually get much of either. There are far more inventory-related puzzles than I remember, and the few self-contained logic puzzles aren’t really great.

And the game is really not solitary, as Lydia and Zak just won’t shut up. And, good grief, the voice acting… Since the game is from Quebec, I had played it in French a decade ago, but I couldn’t be bothered digging through all my old stuff for my copy so I ended up playing an (abandonware) English version this time. I don’t remember the French voice acting being particularly good, but it wasn’t as aggressively awful as it is in the English version. Every character is bad, but Lydia is probably the worst. I want to slap her every time she opens her mouth, which she does a lot. Zak is hardly better. And why do those two talk so much? I DON’T CARE ABOUT YOUR LIFE STORIES, I JUST WANT TO SOLVE SOME PUZZLES.

Anyway, I remember liking the second half significantly less than the first, so I’m kind of dreading it now.

Keepsake wasn’t the original plan. I actually wanted to give Shivers II a try, but I gave up. That old 360-degree node engine made everything look muddy and awful, and was really hard to use since it’d rotate too fast on a modern computer. (And when I say modern computer, I actually mean Win 98 emulated inside DOSBox; if that wasn’t enough to kill the performance, I don’t know what will.)

Above all, the game was aggressively confusing. I had no idea what was going on and what I was supposed to do. There were items to find (which I wasn’t happy about, since I wasn’t looking for inventory puzzles), and weird visions… And then I got some stick that drained my life, and I had to bring it to some canyon and find some petroglyph, whatever the fuck that’s supposed to be… I even read the manual—which is something I hadn’t done in 15 years—to no avail. It annoyed me, and I gave up after 30 minutes, and booted up Keepsake hoping it’d scratch my current itch, which it really hasn’t.  Meh

(I’ll take recommendations, if you have any. Few or no inventory puzzles, minimal story and dialogue, and not too many Myst-style collect-the-clues puzzles. And some pretty locations to explore.)

(If I hadn’t played it just a few weeks ago, I’d replay Quern. That game was GOOD, and just what I’m in the mood for right now.)

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Kurufinwe - 16 May 2017 08:24 AM

(I’ll take recommendations, if you have any. Few or no inventory puzzles, minimal story and dialogue, and not too many Myst-style collect-the-clues puzzles. And some pretty locations to explore.)

(If I hadn’t played it just a few weeks ago, I’d replay Quern. That game was GOOD, and just what I’m in the mood for right now.)

Yeah Quern was awesome. What about Eyes of Ara, if you haven’t already played it?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top