• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Infocom Text Adventures

Total Posts: 834

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

I’m in the middle of Time Gentlemen, Please and A New Beginning (great game, I recommend it to everyone)...and there’s the Keepsake CMPT starting soon (?), but if there’s an easily runnable game agreed upon here, I’ll try and play along.
By easily runnable, I mean something on GOG, Steam, or new enough that I can run it on Windows 8/10 without having to mess about with Dosbox.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Baron_Blubba - 12 March 2021 11:30 AM

I’m in the middle of Time Gentlemen, Please and A New Beginning (great game, I recommend it to everyone)...and there’s the Keepsake CMPT starting soon (?), but if there’s an easily runnable game agreed upon here, I’ll try and play along.
By easily runnable, I mean something on GOG, Steam, or new enough that I can run it on Windows 8/10 without having to mess about with Dosbox.

The format is very different from a CPT. See an example here: https://adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/8842/

You don’t actually run the game on your computer. As explained by Karlok, “The leader executes the commands, copies, pastes, and posts the game’s reponses. It’s also their job to post map(s) as we progress in the game.”

For me, I find that it creates a much stronger level of interactivity between us than a normal CPT and it’s a huge amount to play it like this.

It’s a lot of work for the leader though so I can understand why Karlok would want a certain amount of people to commit to it.

Total Posts: 7420

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Vegetable Party - 12 March 2021 08:27 AM

I tried Spider and Web during my lunchbreak at work today. It made my day a bit weirder and more enjoyable at the same time.

It’s a very clever and fascinating game, keep at it and you’ll see.

eriktorbjorn - 12 March 2021 08:59 AM

Now, a game I have heard good things about that I’ve only played the beginning of (because I got thoroughly stuck) is Make It Good, by John Ingold. But I have a feeling that a murder mystery (that may be chock full of timed events) could make for a miserable community playthrough, so I’ll probably tackle it again on my own some day.

I definitely recommend Make It Good to an old-hand like you. I loved it. But it’s a hard and complicated game where you have to do things in correct order, so lots of backtracking and restoring. Too frustrating for a CP.

giom - 12 March 2021 12:47 PM

The format is very different from a CPT. See an example here: https://adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/8842/

Lost Pig! Such a fun game. I don’t think there’s anybody who doesn’t love Grunk. Just reading the very first lines makes me smile again.

Pig lost! Boss say that it Grunk fault. Say Grunk forget about closing gate. Maybe boss right. Grunk not remember forgetting, but maybe Grunk just forget.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 8469

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 11 March 2021 06:43 PM

Christminster. I guess TimovieMan never got around to adding a link. I didn’t like that one very much, but it was fun playing it together.

That was during my absentee period. I’ll look into adding the link.

I’d love to! Too bad Oscar left a couple of years ago. I’d be willing to lead a fairly short and easy game if *at least* 4 people are interested in participating. Luhr? Blubba? Cicerone? Adv_Lvr? TimovieMan?

I’d be up for that.

I’m still raving about that moment in Spider and Web. Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 834

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

giom - 12 March 2021 12:47 PM

You don’t actually run the game on your computer. As explained by Karlok, “The leader executes the commands, copies, pastes, and posts the game’s reponses. It’s also their job to post map(s) as we progress in the game.”

For me, I find that it creates a much stronger level of interactivity between us than a normal CPT and it’s a huge amount to play it like this.

It’s a lot of work for the leader though so I can understand why Karlok would want a certain amount of people to commit to it.

Holy smokes! That is a full time job for the leader!

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

TimovieMan - 12 March 2021 01:42 PM
Karlok - 11 March 2021 06:43 PM

I’d love to! Too bad Oscar left a couple of years ago. I’d be willing to lead a fairly short and easy game if *at least* 4 people are interested in participating. Luhr? Blubba? Cicerone? Adv_Lvr? TimovieMan?

I’d be up for that.

I’m also interested in playing interactive fiction together.

Total Posts: 76

Joined 2019-10-03

PM

Karlok - 12 March 2021 07:26 AM

Aha, so you’re the reviewer of The Longing, one of my favorite games from last year. Smile

The Longing was truly something special! (I also reviewed There Is No Game: Wrong Dimension, so you and I seem to have similar tastes!)

You can’t be a dead weight in a text adventure CP: you either post or you don’t post. See the above explanation.

Count me in, in that case!

giom - 12 March 2021 05:40 AM

I’ve enjoyed reading your reviews Will! Thanks!

Thanks so much giom!

Former AG staff writer Will Aickman

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I’d be up for that.

Yeah, me too. Some games have very special moments you will always remember and cherish. This is one of them.

Pegbiter - 12 March 2021 03:51 PM

I’m also interested in playing interactive fiction together.

Great! Now all we have to do is decide what game we’re going to play. Weird, isn’t it. The exact opposite of the normal procedure: game attracts participants.

Vicious Cycles - certainly not the greatest game ever, but still interesting imo and it fits the requirements of easy and short. The many excellent hard text adventures that take many hours to solve are out of the question for this type of CP.
Hadean Lands - Andrew Plotkin also made Spider and Web, which we already played and loved. Hadean Lands is totally different. Rituals, alchemy and stuff. Hard. I tried it six years ago and haven’t finished it. Other people rave about it.
One of Emily Short‘s games - she is a well-known member of the IF community and her games won lots of awards. They are supposed to be very clever, highbrow, intellectual, philosophical. I couldn’t recommend a specific game, because I never finished one. I started Savoir Faire last year, which looked promising, but I got distracted.
One of Infocom’s ancient adventures - I own the entire collection, so we could do an easy one, like Wishbringer or Planetfall.
Other suggestions?

Whatever people choose is fine with me, I’m just executing your commands. Smile

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

Karlok - 14 March 2021 12:10 AM

Hadean Lands

I’d love to get around to finally play this. It’s definitely neither short nor easy though. Would you lead in nonetheless?

One of Emily Short‘s games

How about Counterfeit Monkey? It’s leading the IFDB Top 100 that I’m maintaining.

One of Infocom’s ancient adventures

Perhaps A Mind Forever Voyaging if we want something easier? I’m up for Planetfall or almost anything else too.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

There’s one thing that makes this kind of playthrough different from an ordinary CPT - it doesn’t really suit replays.

I’ve played Hadean Lands and AMFV and as much as I like them, how could I participate in giving commands when I already know the puzzle solutions?

I think this probably makes it necessary for everyone except the leader to go in blind. Anyone disagree with that?

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Luhr28 - 14 March 2021 06:08 AM

I think this probably makes it necessary for everyone except the leader to go in blind. Anyone disagree with that?

I tend to be really bad at remembering puzzle solutions Smile so for a game I played 10 years ago like Eric the unready, I would barely have any useful knowledge or know of any puzzle solutions…

In terms of game to play, I really like all choices. Maybe starting with Vicious Cycles since it’s short and easy might be better?
That said, Hadean Lands has been in my list of games I want to play one day for a while now.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Pegbiter, I’ll play anything provided it’s fairly short (Anchorhead was the exception and I’d rather not repeat that) and easy not too hard or people will get frustrated and drop out. But there are a few games I refuse to play, like Photopia and A Mind Forever Voyaging. Highly recommended, great story, but they are “walking sims” that are best played alone. Nothing to be gained by halting the game and waiting for someone to post “go to X”.

I agree with Luhr, we should all go in blind or Luhr wouldn’t be able to participate.

I checked Counterfeit Monkey and played for about 15 minutes. Looks and feels good.

Total Posts: 181

Joined 2005-11-15

PM

Andrew Plotkin also made Spider and Web, which we already played and loved.

I remember there was some (though not very much) initial skepticism when it was suggested. I’m glad it turned out ok!

While on the subject of text adventures, I saw the other day that the source code for the 1980 adventure game Castlequest had been unexpectedly recovered. I had never heard of the game, and from what I’ve seen (I’ve been helping out with proof-reading, since the source code only existed as a print-out) it’s… well, very much a product of its time.

Still, it’s always nice to see things like this being unearthed.

Edit: Posted the wrong link. Now it goes to the initial blog post, not the update. (The update is linked from the initial post.)

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

Karlok - 14 March 2021 10:14 AM

But there are a few games I refuse to play, like Photopia and A Mind Forever Voyaging. Highly recommended, great story, but they are “walking sims” that are best played alone. Nothing to be gained by halting the game and waiting for someone to post “go to X”.

Good point.

I agree with Luhr, we should all go in blind or Luhr wouldn’t be able to participate.

I generally agree with this too. Unless perhaps if we play a “text walking sim”, which we just agreed not to.

I checked Counterfeit Monkey and played for about 15 minutes. Looks and feels good.

I’ve also played it for a short while some years ago and really liked what I saw. I’m not sure why I didn’t continue playing then.

Total Posts: 8469

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’ve played far too few text adventures to contribute to this thread.
The upside of this is that I’d join any text adventure playthroughs that get voted, because I’d be going in blind in all of them. Grin

I’d be up for that.

Yeah, me too. Some games have very special moments you will always remember and cherish. This is one of them.

I wouldn’t even have thought to enter the specific command at that moment, but as soon as it was suggested (by wilco? I forgot), the entire thing just clicked in my mind. I remember jumping up, pointing at the screen and going “That’s f#%@ing BRILLIANT!” even before we got to see what the command actually did. Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top