• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Kathy rain directors cut

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I really liked the game too. I wasn’t initially very enthusiastic because I don’t terribly care about these kind of “nostalgic cool” characters that Kathy represents, but I got totally hooked on the story. So I didn’t really love Kathy as I suspected, but I didn’t really mind her either, and I did love the story.

I don’t think the ending was bad but I definitely wouldn’t mind experiencing it with more depth. Though honestly now when I’m thinking back to the game, I don’t remember the whole plot very well, just some random bits and my feelings here and there. But that’s alright, it will be a nice experience to play the DC then. Smile

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 1605

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

millenia - 23 January 2021 02:00 PM

I really liked the game too. I wasn’t initially very enthusiastic because I don’t terribly care about these kind of “nostalgic cool” characters that Kathy represents, but I got totally hooked on the story. So I didn’t really love Kathy as I suspected, but I didn’t really mind her either, and I did love the story.

I don’t think the ending was bad but I definitely wouldn’t mind experiencing it with more depth. Though honestly now when I’m thinking back to the game, I don’t remember the whole plot very well, just some random bits and my feelings here and there. But that’s alright, it will be a nice experience to play the DC then. Smile

I see your playing greedfall, what do you think? I thought i would love it, but it just was not connecting for me

Total Posts: 5553

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Krusbert - 23 January 2021 01:37 PM

The Director’s Cut will be available for Windows, Mac and Linux so you can rest easy! Smile

Excellent! Thumbs Up

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Jdawg445 - 23 January 2021 08:44 PM

I see your playing greedfall, what do you think? I thought i would love it, but it just was not connecting for me

Well, I’m not very far in it, it seems… okay. I’m not a huge consumer of western RPGs. I am still interested in the story and I like that it’s not just combat quests, but will see if I bother playing it very far. I’m just trying it out as a part of Xbox Game Pass, which was 1€/3months. (I haven’t paid 50€ for a game in a looooong time.) I was really looking for a “Single Player WoW” and not sure if this qualifies.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

millenia - 25 January 2021 05:10 AM

Well, I’m not very far in it, it seems… okay. I’m not a huge consumer of western RPGs. I am still interested in the story and I like that it’s not just combat quests, but will see if I bother playing it very far. I’m just trying it out as a part of Xbox Game Pass, which was 1€/3months. (I haven’t paid 50€ for a game in a looooong time.) I was really looking for a “Single Player WoW” and not sure if this qualifies.

Yeah I got it on the PS4 store for free this month, I got off the first introductory Island and then stopped shortly after cuz I didn’t like the controls and it felt very cheap, which I know ut is only a double a game, but it just didn’t connect for me

Total Posts: 5030

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Jdawg445 - 25 January 2021 06:18 AM
millenia - 25 January 2021 05:10 AM

Yeah I got it on the PS4 store for free this month, I got off the first introductory Island and then stopped shortly after cuz I didn’t like the controls and it felt very cheap, which I know ut is only a double a game, but it just didn’t connect for me

Maybe not appropriate to the thread topic.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Like everything I’ve seen and read in the FAQ on their steam page. Been thinking about replaying Kathy Rain for a while now so this is a great opportunity to do just that and still get a fresh experience at the same time. I do wish they hadn’t switched from the verb coin to a streamlined single click interface. I prefer the extra interactions and Kathy Rain’s interface was already plenty accessible, but ultimately it’s no big thing.

Happy to see the series get more attention, hope there’s a sequel eventually too.

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2013-08-23

PM

Thought I’d mention that we’re doing a livestream on the game’s Steam page tomorrow Feb 3 at 7PM CET as part of the Steam Games Festival. There will be a live chat if you guys wanna join the fun! Smile

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1395030/Kathy_Rain_Directors_Cut/

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Demo out now

Total Posts: 190

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

Stoked for the new version, but according to the Steam page there’s no new content for those who’ve already played the game.

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

TheLongestJourney - 04 February 2021 02:28 AM

Stoked for the new version, but according to the Steam page there’s no new content for those who’ve already played the game.

?

It says this on the store page:

Director’s Cut Features:
Extended storyline with a prolonged ending, hundreds of lines of additional dialogue, and multiple new areas to explore.
Several new major puzzle chains and many small additions and tweaks of existing puzzles.
Enlarged game environments to fill up the entire screen without any black bars on the sides.
Made countless visual improvements, such as more character animations, better lighting/shadows and extra weather effects.
Streamlined mouse controls with an intuitive single click interface.
Controller support done right. Lean back in your chair and take smooth direct control of Kathy, with no messy cursor getting in the way.
Expanded and remixed soundtrack by the original composer, Daniel Kobylarz.
Five brand new motorcycle designs to unlock and customize the Katmobile with.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Just beat the demo and it is the same demo that came out years ago for the original game. Honestly I know the devs are using unity now instead of ags but I see no real difference at all in the graphics, besides it being full screen, which is nice. I actually think whispers in the machine is still a better looking game then this so far. The game says it has full controller support but I dont think it is available in the demo. The atmosphere is still lovely but as a demo for the director’s cut this does little to get me excited at all. If I was the devs I would have added a new puzzle or scene in the beginning of the demo/game to give returning players something new to experience and see right of the bat. However all the demo did was remind me that the first two puzzles in this game are the weakest. For example How you get to look at mr rains police file is overly simple, and it makes the cops look braindead. the suitcase lock puzzle could have been great, and a good call back to gabriel knight, but it is also way too simple, even though at first glance it looks to be really challenging. I do find the puzzles got better after these two in the game, but honestly all this demo did was remind me how much better whispers in the machine is to kathy rain as a complete experience. I hope the new content is worth it and adds a good amount of bang for your buck, bc so far I dont see it yet.  Frown

Total Posts: 190

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

PlanetX - 04 February 2021 08:56 AM
TheLongestJourney - 04 February 2021 02:28 AM

?

Sorry, I meant no new content in the demo as jdawg has covered above.

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2013-08-23

PM

Jdawg445 - 04 February 2021 10:51 AM

Just beat the demo and it is the same demo that came out years ago for the original game. Honestly I know the devs are using unity now instead of ags but I see no real difference at all in the graphics, besides it being full screen, which is nice. I actually think whispers in the machine is still a better looking game then this so far. The game says it has full controller support but I dont think it is available in the demo. The atmosphere is still lovely but as a demo for the director’s cut this does little to get me excited at all. If I was the devs I would have added a new puzzle or scene in the beginning of the demo/game to give returning players something new to experience and see right of the bat. However all the demo did was remind me that the first two puzzles in this game are the weakest. For example How you get to look at mr rains police file is overly simple, and it makes the cops look braindead. the suitcase lock puzzle could have been great, and a good call back to gabriel knight, but it is also way too simple, even though at first glance it looks to be really challenging. I do find the puzzles got better after these two in the game, but honestly all this demo did was remind me how much better whispers in the machine is to kathy rain as a complete experience. I hope the new content is worth it and adds a good amount of bang for your buck, bc so far I dont see it yet.  Frown

Yup, I totally agree with you! The demo does not contain much new content for a returning player. The demo is mainly targeted at new players as part of an initiative in the Steam Games Festival where we can reach a wider audience.

We put the following clarifications in the newsfeed of KR: DC:
“Please keep in mind that not all features listed on the store page have been implemented for the demo, such as translations and gamepad support. If you are a returning player, you should also be aware that the new gameplay and story content exclusive to the Director’s Cut will appear in the later parts of the game, which is beyond the scope of this demo.”

The reasons that we handled the demo like this is the following:
a) We couldn’t put in any elaborate new puzzles in this early demo because they would require voice overs, which are typically recorded at the end of the project when all the gameplay and dialogue has been iterated on and properly tested.
b) In our opinion, the beginning of the game isn’t the most lacking in terms of content anyway, so we have prioritized new puzzles and story bits in the later stages.

Graphics wise, sure, the demo largely looks the same as the original game, but I’m not sure what you expected, given what the screenshots look like? We’re not making it HD or anything, it’s the same pixel art, just more animations, widescreen backgrounds and some other improvements like better lighting and shadows (which didn’t make it into the demo or the current screenshots, unfortunately).

Appreciate the feedback though, and we may certainly end up improving some of those early puzzles in the full game Smile

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Krusbert - 04 February 2021 11:30 AM
Jdawg445 - 04 February 2021 10:51 AM

Yup, I totally agree with you! The demo does not contain much new content for a returning player. The demo is mainly targeted at new players as part of an initiative in the Steam Games Festival where we can reach a wider audience.

We put the following clarifications in the newsfeed of KR: DC:
“Please keep in mind that not all features listed on the store page have been implemented for the demo, such as translations and gamepad support. If you are a returning player, you should also be aware that the new gameplay and story content exclusive to the Director’s Cut will appear in the later parts of the game, which is beyond the scope of this demo.”

The reasons that we handled the demo like this is the following:
a) We couldn’t put in any elaborate new puzzles in this early demo because they would require voice overs, which are typically recorded at the end of the project when all the gameplay and dialogue has been iterated on and properly tested.
b) In our opinion, the beginning of the game isn’t the most lacking in terms of content anyway, so we have prioritized new puzzles and story bits in the later stages.

Graphics wise, sure, the demo largely looks the same as the original game, but I’m not sure what you expected, given what the screenshots look like? We’re not making it HD or anything, it’s the same pixel art, just more animations, widescreen backgrounds and some other improvements like better lighting and shadows (which didn’t make it into the demo or the current screenshots, unfortunately).

Appreciate the feedback though, and we may certainly end up improving some of those early puzzles in the full game Smile

Im saying you missed the mark, I know you want new players but the best marketing would be for existing players to spread the news, of an updated game to adventure game fans who might have missed the title. The new demo does none of that to bring excitement. And no I was not expecting some amazing graphical jump but so far at least to me whispers of a machine looks better than this and it was done on ags if I am correct.

I get what you are saying about voice acting but even if it was just a text based scene or puzzle, anything would have been better than basically just re-releasing the exact same demo as before. In my humble opinion the roll out of this game is being handled very sloppily and it makes it look like just a cash grab, which we both know it isnt. For the record technobabylon is my favorite modern adventure game and right behind that is whispers of a machine, so I know what you are capable of and so far this is just not great looking at least to me. I hope to be proven wrong with the final product.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top