• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CaliMonk

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What themes would you like to see more of in adventure games?

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Here’s another setting/theme I’d like to see in an adventure game:

The fact there are actually 24 Catholic Churches. Until recently, I knew of Roman-Catholicism and the Eastern Orthodox Church, which also calls itself Orthodox Catholic, though these two are not in union. I found out a couple of months ago there are actually 23 Eastern-Catholic Churches that are in union with, but also differ from, the Roman-Catholic Church.

I have no particular religious interest in Catholicism, but it seems like an interesting subject to explore. The Church has been portrayed in a great deal of adventure games, in many different ways, but I’d like to see it explored more as a cultural and historical phenomenon.

Total Posts: 834

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Vegetable Party - 14 May 2021 05:21 PM

The fact there are actually 24 Catholic Churches. Until recently, I knew of Roman-Catholicism and the Eastern Orthodox Church, which also calls itself Orthodox Catholic, though these two are not in union. I found out a couple of months ago there are actually 23 Eastern-Catholic Churches that are in union with, but also differ from, the Roman-Catholic Church.

I have no particular religious interest in Catholicism, but it seems like an interesting subject to explore. The Church has been portrayed in a great deal of adventure games, in many different ways, but I’d like to see it explored more as a cultural and historical phenomenon.

Interesting. I’m not very educated on Catholic lore either, but just from your couple of paragraphs, I am intrigued. And since I do more adventure game playing than reading these days, that would be my venue of choice for learning a little about the topic. All 24 topics.
Can you give an example of how this theme might be integrated in a game?

Tangentially, have you played A Plague Tale: Innocence? It’s not a super deep story that is going to teach you everything you never learned about religion (but always wanted to know!) but it does something that I’ve rarely seen in games or media: It has a villain who is extremely religious, but it also makes it very clear that *he* is evil, not his religion.
I guess this has been done before—a renegade extremist taking matters into his own self righteous vigilante hands—but I don’t *remember* seeing it done with a specifically named mainstream religion (except maybe Islam). I’m not religious, but I thought the even handedness of having good guys and bad guys believing in the same means but interpreting them and using them to reach different ends, was refreshing.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 5030

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Vegetable Party - 14 May 2021 05:21 PM

I am a non-practicing Catholic who went to secular grade school, but occasionally had to go to a catholic school in prep for first communion and confirmation.

The concept of a game that takes in the totality of Catholicism is intriguing. It would take you through the origins with St Peter, to the early conversions, to the Templars, and their failed war to conquer Jerusalem. There is definitely a game here. But I think it would have to be something of a SIM-style game than an adventure.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Catholic lore, I like that. Gives a whole new meaning to the question: “is it canon?”

edit: @baron_blubba: the game could feature a religious order, or a Conclave, it might be set in one or more village(s) culturally aligned with one of the Churches. Something like that?

rtrooney - 14 May 2021 08:45 PM

The concept of a game that takes in the totality of Catholicism is intriguing. It would take you through the origins with St Peter, to the early conversions, to the Templars, and their failed war to conquer Jerusalem. There is definitely a game here. But I think it would have to be something of a SIM-style game than an adventure.

The game you describe sounds awesome, whatever genre it might be.

It would also be cool if more games take a certain period or setting and depict it honestly. Or comically. I skimmed through a playthrough of “The Abbey” recently, for my latest quiz, it seemed pretty decent. I strongly dislike conspiracy theories (when applied to real-life organisations and groups of people), so the plethora of “hey, you know the Catholic Church? It’s pretty creepy, right?”-type of stories could use some reasonable and respectful counterbalance.

I’d be interested in other religions as well. But I’ve always found the history of The Church fascinating. I get the origins of Judaism, I’ve read up on the origins of Islam, both make sense to me. But with The Church, it almost seems like an unlikely story. How did it manage to become the main religion of an empire, when it started out as an oppressed and persecuted religious minority? How do you go from being thrown in front of the lions to Saint Peter? There’s a fascinating history there.

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

I was still considering going over what was said to me item-by-item (even though this whole thing was going nowhere fast), because I saw a written version of “selective hearing” – when a person only picks up on certain things out of everything that was said and twist it to their own convenience while completely ignoring other things that explain the actual position or clarifying a certain stance on the matter, but then I saw this:

millenia - 14 May 2021 09:54 AM

That’s basically just forcing people to come out.

And this:

millenia - 14 May 2021 09:54 AM

I need to casually debate my right to voice opinions and wishes

And it’s complete and utter nonsense.

No one is “basically just forcing” anyone to do or say anything. Unless they are standing behind their head with a loaded gun, saying “do this or else” maybe. And you certainly don’t need to debate anything, casually or not. There are plenty of ways to go about the conversations that you seem to enjoy no more – you can directly say you’re no longer interested or have no desire to continue it or simply ignore it altogether and not answer – those options are available to anyone at any point. You’re an adult with a full agency over your actions and an equal ability to govern the conversation the way you see fit including and up to stopping it all together when it no longer suits you, so there’s no need to frame it like you have no control over your own reactions.
Need to debate? No, no, no.  You CHOSE to debate, the option to not engage is always there.  So no, you most definitely didn’t need to debate anything, and there’s no “basically just forcing” of any kind here.

You seem to only hear what you want to hear and not what I’m actually saying, so it’s no longer a productive exchange, so I’m going to use one of those options above and pull a full stop here, because I definitely have no desire to continue any longer.

******************************************************************************************

As far as themes in adventure games. Not necessarily a theme, more like a mechanic – I’d like to have more interesting time manipulation. Games like “Return of The Obra Dinn” or “The Last Express” are two very memorable, hard-to-compare-to-anything-else adventures would be the example. I’m actually quite surprised that many didn’t just copy-paste this mechanic (especially the one in “The Last Express” that is more streamlined than the more complex Obra Dinn’s) in many other adventures. But yes, when a player gets a chance to manipulate time, and it affects the gameplay – it can lead to some memorable twists and turns or rewinds that can either be a puzzle in itself or an element to solve other in-game puzzles.

I would be 100% down for the Count of Monte Cristo game. I do gotta say though, that my re-reads didn’t fair so well comparatively to the initial readings. I used to devour all of those books back in early teens, but when I got to early to mid 20s, it was a much slower going. I even had a few moments when I thought “Man, and I thought THAT was exciting?” Grin It’s been a long time, so I think I’d need to give them another go.
But I still absolutely love all those stories (and I enjoyed films as well), so I’d be very interested in adventures based on them.

Come to think about it – maybe more badass “revenge stories” adventures?  Because nothing comes to mind right away…

Total Posts: 5804

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’m less interested in choosing a theme as I’m open to most, as long as the story is good & the game-play is pleasing.

As far as diversity goes if it fits it’s okay. Otherwise it can seem tokenistic.

I’ve watched `10 zillion` TV programmes with absorbing & excellent stories that after you’ve seen enough seem to have a criteria for characters in common:  mixed race relations/marriage, lesbian &/or gay partnerships, non white native prominent characters & lots of brushing of teeth!

The stories are very good but it does seem like sometimes that the characters included are contrived to fit some inclusive agenda rather than being more natural although I think some of the European dramas seem to integrate diversity a little more naturally.

If I had the means to make a game that would encompass diversity I would set it in a care home - there’s very realistic glimpse of one of those in Lorelei but in one that I worked for a few years there was the potential of many different scenarios to tell that would endeavour to include many stories about a transgender woman I worked very closely with, a lesbian couple that got to be & the many sincere people of colour that work all hours to survive/send money back to families & put up with the racist crap from the white clientele.

N.B Millennia, please never use the offensive term ‘cis’ on this forum again.
Edit: Oops, sorry I didn’t say that very nicely. I find the word offensive so would please request not to use it on this forum.

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

chrissie - 15 May 2021 04:31 PM

I’m less interested in choosing a theme as I’m open to most, as long as the story is good & the game-play is pleasing.

As far as diversity goes if it fits it’s okay. Otherwise it can seem tokenistic.

I’ve watched `10 zillion` TV programmes with absorbing & excellent stories that after you’ve seen enough seem to have a criteria for characters in common:  mixed race relations/marriage, lesbian &/or gay partnerships, non white native prominent characters & lots of brushing of teeth!

The stories are very good but it does seem like sometimes that the characters included are contrived to fit some inclusive agenda rather than being more natural although I think some of the European dramas seem to integrate diversity a little more naturally.

If I had the means to make a game that would encompass diversity I would set it in a care home - there’s very realistic glimpse of one of those in Lorelei but in one that I worked for a few years there was the potential of many different scenarios to tell that would endeavour to include many stories about a transgender woman I worked very closely with, a lesbian couple that got to be & the many sincere people of colour that work all hours to survive/send money back to families & put up with the racist crap from the white clientele.

N.B Millennia, please never use the offensive term ‘cis’ on this forum again.

My name is Baron Blubba, and I approve this message.

No, seriously. In a few sentences, Chrissie, you’ve managed to encompass what would probably take me seven posts to express.

I definitely agree about a care home being a great setting for natural diversity, and it would be seen from both sides, that of the patients and the caregivers. Now that you mention it, I don’t know if I can think of any other every day place with such a diverse range of people, from color to character. I’d love to explore a game like that, especially if all of these people a natural part of the world, characters in a greater story that would exist independently of this person being ‘this type’ and that person being ‘that type.’
Oh my goodness, major epiphany just now: A new Laura Bow game. Someone please come up with the subtitle. Laura Bow and the…????

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

chrissie - 15 May 2021 04:31 PM

If I had the means to make a game that would encompass diversity I would set it in a care home - there’s very realistic glimpse of one of those in Lorelei but in one that I worked for a few years there was the potential of many different scenarios to tell that would endeavor to include many stories about a transgender woman I worked very closely with, a lesbian couple that got to be & the many sincere people of colour that work all hours to survive/send money back to families & put up with the racist crap from the white clientele.

That was a great setting, and I liked how Lorelei showed it within the universe of the game itself.

I can definitely use more settings, in general. Lots of stuff we do in real life and, therefore, in games happens in homes/apartments/offices/standard institutions, so when it comes to games set in real-life it would be cool to explore something unusual. How about “Under Siege”-like setting of a cruise ship? (I don’t mind playing a knife-wielding chef as well). Or, maybe, big music festival? Or holiday parade with thousands of people and noise and no one notices that something went wrong? Sporting event - major like Olympics or local like bike race or soccer match? Something along “Snakes on a Plane”?

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Baron_Blubba - 15 May 2021 05:07 PM

Oh my goodness, major epiphany just now: A new Laura Bow game. Someone please come up with the subtitle. Laura Bow and the…????

They are already making one, although I haven’t heard much news, but fingers crossed.

Laura Bow and the Mechanical Codex.

http://ninezyme.com/

https://adventuregamers.com/games/view/38765

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

DCast - 16 May 2021 04:41 PM
Baron_Blubba - 15 May 2021 05:07 PM

They are already making one, although I haven’t heard much news, but fingers crossed.

Laura Bow and the Mechanical Codex.

http://ninezyme.com/

https://adventuregamers.com/games/view/38765

Oooh, thank you, I was completely unaware of this game.
But I was asking for a subtitle to the hypothetical Laura Bow game that takes place in a care center/nursing home.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Baron_Blubba - 16 May 2021 04:57 PM

But I was asking for a subtitle to the hypothetical Laura Bow game that takes place in a care center/nursing home.

Yes, I got it, just thought I’d answer with an actual game, so maybe you’ll have something to look forward to.

Laura Bow and the Syringe of Doom.

Laura Bow and the Age-old Mystery.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Laura Bow and the Great False Teeth Swindle

Laura Bow and the Missing Incontinence Pads

Laura Bow and the Rudely Interrupted Naptime

Total Posts: 5804

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Total Posts: 1231

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Laura Bow and the Missing Masks
Laura Bow and the Mystery of the Killer Vaccine

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 7420

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Luhr28 - 17 May 2021 07:12 AM

Laura Bow and the Great False Teeth Swindle

Laura Bow and the Missing Incontinence Pads

Laura Bow and the Rudely Interrupted Naptime

AHA! So it was YOU who took my teeth! Give them to me NOW, I want to get back to my nice little nap. Nurse Ratchett will deal with the used pads you stole to wipe your XXX with.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top