• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CarlesGabe

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #66 – Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy ~

Total Posts: 5030

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Vegetable Party - 13 May 2021 03:20 PM

Understandable. From what I can tell, they’re worse when playing with a keyboard. I wish there was an option to turn off the sequences and just play Fahrenheit as a straight up adventure game.

I hope you’ll comment every now and then, I was looking forward to your succinct and grounded commentary. Not in the least to balance out my wide eyed fascination and low key tendency to ramble.

Personally, I’ve mixed feelings about the QTEs. In some situations, they do add to the sense of tension, but I haven’t made up my mind whether I think this is clever or cheap.

I am enjoying the game. It got kind of weird pretty fast, though.

My feelings about QTEs in straight adventures is not mixed. I don’t like them, and don’t feel they belong in a regular adventure. If the story is good enough to carry the game without them, you should have the option to turn them off.

Now I never played Fahrenheit. So I don’t know whether the story is good enough.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

My feelings about QTEs in straight adventures is not mixed. I don’t like them, and don’t feel they belong in a regular adventure. If the story is good enough to carry the game without them, you should have the option to turn them off.

Now I never played Fahrenheit. So I don’t know whether the story is good enough.

Ok, I am now at the checkpoint, whew, that took some major work to get to. I saved the boy and got the sex scene.

The QTEs in many adventure games just plain suck. I put up with them for an interesting story. This game does indeed have that. And yes, the game was originally a console game - so it works best with a controller.

You PC gamers do have some options, try to find a save game past the point where you are stuck. Also look for any cheats for the game that would make it easier to play and lastly, refer to a walkthrough as needed.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

I have a day off, time for some CPT!

About the music: it is quite fitting. I think it didn’t even register that much at first because it blends with the general atmosphere quite well. I also liked the stuff Lucas plays on his guitar.

I want to respect the tone of the game, but I can’t help but notice some.. odd choices.

Looking for the name Kirsten in the NYPD casefile database provides a single result?

I think I got the hang of those QTEs. I switched to easy, though. I think it only affects these sequences and not the puzzles, so this level of difficulty is fine by me. At certain points, they add some additional challenge that makes sense in the moment, but there are points where the whole “Simon Says Push These Buttons, Or Else..!” routine seems arbitrary. I dislike how this puts off players who don’t want this type of gameplay.

The characters are interesting enough. Just on the acceptable side of cliché for my personal taste. Another piece of writing I found.. remarkable:

The brother/priest relating the whole ordeal to his faith. “I’m a priest..” “Don’t make me choose between my faith and my brother.” Sure, but.. it’s murder. I’d hope you have more secular reasons not be OK with murder.

I did like how he suggested professional help, saying _most_ cases of possession stem from psychiatric problems. That’s about right. I like the sane and rational depiction of a priest.

From what I can tell, I just started chapter four.

edit: kind of confused about these chapters. I just discovered I’m way ahead. Not my intention, so I’ll put the game on hold for now. Interested to hear what you all think of these first five chapters!

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

I’ve finished part one, ending after Lucas saved the boy from drowning in the park. That particular timed sequence caused me no trouble, so this session was much more enjoyable for me.

Total Posts: 2056

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I’m also finished. The game is more or less how I remembered it: linear, with small locations and icon-based interface which sometimes leads to unexpected results. For example, as Tyler I clicked a heart icon on his sleeping girlfriend expecting a kiss. Instead they started making love in some horribly directed neverending sequence. After waiting for like 5 minutes I had to restart. And then, as Tyler was ready to leave his flat, another heart icon appeared. Aaand… he did in fact kiss her this time around! Or when Lucas drank alcohol after taking some pills and felt asleep, or maybe died - who knows, the game just ended. Of course, I had been warned beforehand not to mix medicine and alcohol, but at the time I clicked a bottle icon I had no idea it was alcohol and that Lucas would drink it. I was also a bit disappointed following the first scene: after so much work he still left the blood trail which was immediately spotted by the elderly cop, so what was the point?

At the same time, I liked the “extra” actions like eating/watching TV/talking to random people/...well, peeing which is tasteless, especially during that scene in the bar. But rather than that those icons add to interactivity and realism. Cage perfected it in Heavy Rain, but it’s a nice addition anyway since there’s not much to do in Fahrenheit besides talking, QTEing and “guiding” people as they perform some elementary tasks like drinking coffee. And changing their “mood” which looked cool on paper, but not so much in action since the characters always look the same and since it’s so easy to add points by simply taking a shower or listening to music.

Dialogues are ok I guess, had no problem choosing topics so far although timing is still kinda pointless, like protagonists have memory problems and quickly loose their train of thoughts. QTE is just as bad and clumsy as I remembered, in fact some of the worst I’ve met in a game. I did enjoy the sequence where Lucas saves a boy, it helped to raise tension and inspire players to make a decision (although wasn’t much of a choice for me) even though I spent most of the time pressing two buttons like crazy. On the other hand, I failed at QTE at Lucas’ flat - twice (second time after I had died of alcohol and had to restart). And the purpose of it was..? I had no control over the policeman, no way to change his actions (at least I think so). And I had no problem covering my tracks without those visions, so I just kept playing.

Those chapters involving Lucas were still my favourite and I found myself always choosing him when possible. In fact sequences with Carla and Tyler felt like fillers. The crime scene investigation was barely clicking every icon you see and the empty police station full of locked doors was just boring. Both protagonists are also not very interesting. I would’ve preferred if the story followed Lucas’ priest brother instead or that elderly cop for a change. But then by the end of the 5th chapter there’s still not much story revealed and it’s hard to tell where it will lead. Right now it’s just some possessed guy who committed a murder running around the city aimlessly. Not enough to build a case.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 8469

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Finally found some time to play this.

I own the original version and I have played it for a bit several years ago. But I was using the mouse and keyboard and the controls were an absolute disaster. I only got through the very first chapter before giving up then.

For my replay, I now have a controller, and it’s like the difference between night and day. Controls still aren’t perfect, but at least I’ll manage them this time, especially with the difficulty set to ‘easy’.

But now I have another issue. It’s the same one I had with Heavy Rain when I played that last year: a crippling fear of “messing up” and consequently replaying chapters until I get the results I want.
I remember having a walktrough handy when I played the first chapter years ago to avoid negative points and to get most of the positive mood points.

I’m not using a walkthrough now, but the same applies. I replayed the first chapter once I found out in the second chapter that I had missed the knife in the first. And replaying the first two chapters meant I didn’t look out the window in the first, and didn’t use the urinal in the second.
I fully realize I *shouldn’t* be doing this, but it’s stronger than me…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

Doom - 15 May 2021 06:20 PM

For example, as Tyler I clicked a heart icon on his sleeping girlfriend expecting a kiss. Instead they started making love in some horribly directed neverending sequence. After waiting for like 5 minutes I had to restart. And then, as Tyler was ready to leave his flat, another heart icon appeared. Aaand… he did in fact kiss her this time around!

I did click that first heart. There was no need to wait or restart though, since I could switch to Carla and have her call Tyler again. I didn’t dare click the second heart though, since I assumed it would result in another sex scene. I’m a bit annoyed that this was punished by a reduction of mental health.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

I see that almost everyone saved the boy, me too, but as you know you can also decide not to do it, and avoid being recognised. Personally I can’t continue playing if I choose this option. The guilt would eat away at my soul for eternity.

I was also a bit disappointed following the first scene: after so much work he still left the blood trail which was immediately spotted by the elderly cop, so what was the point?

Yes, the elderly policeman was going to notice no matter what we did in the end, but it’s also true that we didn’t have much time. Consider that we’re recovering from that state of shock and we have little time to think, something can slip away, a place where people are coming in and out all the time, doing a thorough cleaning of the place is impossible.

I think the point was simply to put us in Lucas’ shoes from the beginning, even though we can’t avoid being spotted. What would we do first? Do we wash and go out and leave everything as it is? Move the body? Try to clean the place even if it’s just the basics that will buy us a few minutes of time? Hide the knife? In that situation I assume it is easy to forget about it (like Timovieman happened). Do we pay the bill for what we ate? Or do we just head straight for the exit? In our minds the only thing we would think of is to get out of the place as soon as possible. 

Pegbiter - 15 May 2021 06:33 PM

For example, as Tyler I clicked a heart icon on his sleeping girlfriend expecting a kiss. Instead they started making love in some horribly directed neverending sequence. After waiting for like 5 minutes I had to restart. And then, as Tyler was ready to leave his flat, another heart icon appeared. Aaand… he did in fact kiss her this time around!

I did click that first heart. There was no need to wait or restart though, since I could switch to Carla and have her call Tyler again. I didn’t dare click the second heart though, since I assumed it would result in another sex scene. I’m a bit annoyed that this was punished by a reduction of mental health.

Maybe because she was upset and worried and kissing her was supposed to put her mind at rest. By not doing so the situation remains somewhat tense and that results in stress on Tyler? I’m just thinking.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 1231

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

I am playing right now. Chapters one and two finished, going for more. Playing the game with my laptop is hard because controls are terrible but I am getting used to them…

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Alright, I’m all caught up and at the stopping point.

I’m enjoying the game. I don’t know if it’s because I’m just enjoying it or because I have some serious nostalgia connected to playing it back in the day, but even clunky as hell controls didn’t really diminish that feeling. It took a while before I managed to walk without desperately trying every button I can to get the right angle (they could have done without “being in control of the camera” for the player, I think), but I got the hang of it. Also, I still think controls in Blacksad were much worse, and it was a recent game comparatively, so maybe it gave me a framework on what bad controls really are Grin

To my surprise, QTE gave me no problems in this section whatsoever, and I’m not a fan of this mechanic. Saving the boy scene, like Doom said, helped to bring up some tension and QTE worked in this section pretty well for me. Also not much choice in what to do - I only had one option morally there.

I also have no problem with dialogues being fast, because I think that this entire game (being pretty much interactive thriller) designed about quickly moving through action to action with having little time to ponder, so to match the mental state of Lucas in the situation he’s in. It’s so stressful, that mistakes are bound to be made and some things need to be done quickly without much deliberation. I’m going to try to plow ahead without replaying anything (unless I died), and see where it leads me, although I already see how I could have done better with certain choices. Not saying it’s done absolutely perfect, but it does play into the overall mood of the game for me.

I could also see how David Cage’s writing progressed from here. It shows a glimpse of a talented writer. It’s still pretty simplistic overall, but interesting enough to hook a player. I feel like D. Cage is one of those writers that never really makes a masterpiece with his work, but is interesting and deep enough for people to take him seriously and keep playing his games.

I like Lucas, and I also largely prefer playing as him for now. It’s kinda difficult to help him, AND go after him at the same time though. Tyler’s personality cracks me up “I always got 2 minutes for you, girl”  Grin  It took me a few repeats of the lovemaking-session to realize that I need to use Carla to stop the sequence, so I hope he finished what he started and it was enough time Innocent

On the other note - that scene with a guy Lucas murdered appearing in the mirror in his apartment - actually acted like a jump-scare for me. I totally didn’t expect it!

Loved, loved, LOVED listening to Theory of a Deadman in Lucas’s place! “Say Goodbye” and “Santa Monica” are still one of my favorites of theirs, so that was a moment that brought lots of nostalgia as well… I believe you mentioned listening to them to a candlelight, Tenebra? For me it was a bed of a pick-up truck, staring at the stars or going down the highway a little faster than I should have. Looking forward to more of those moments and to continue the game!

Total Posts: 1231

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

I have finished Part One too. As everybody pointed, music is extraordinary. I also love the way tha game creates tension (great scare when looking at the mirror and seeing the killed guy).

The daily details such as drinking coffee, listening to music, even peeing add a realistic tone to the game (besides keeping the mood up).

About QTE, I must admit I missed that the premonition was warning me so I had to cover all my tracks before the policeman stormed in my apartment, but after a few attempts I managed to do it). I will be more alert to those premonitions.

I also saved the boy (how couldn’t I?). I liked the fact the policeman recognized me and didn’t report me.

It is true that the main character so far is Lucas. I prefer Carla to Tyler, but maybe it is just because she is prettier Tongue

Any theories so far? Crows are not what they seem…

P.S I can’t wait to play the basketball one on one and win the bet, even with the clumsy controls…

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 2056

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Tenebra - 15 May 2021 08:02 PM

Yes, the elderly policeman was going to notice no matter what we did in the end, but it’s also true that we didn’t have much time. Consider that we’re recovering from that state of shock and we have little time to think, something can slip away, a place where people are coming in and out all the time, doing a thorough cleaning of the place is impossible.

I think the point was simply to put us in Lucas’ shoes from the beginning

This is true for Lucas, but I still think we should’ve given a choice to wipe every trace as long as we noticed it. The first thing I tried to do before washing hands and throwing the knife away was to remove the blood trail, but the mop became inactive after he cleaned a small spot which kept bothering me afterwards.

Pegbiter - 15 May 2021 06:33 PM

I did click that first heart. There was no need to wait or restart though, since I could switch to Carla and have her call Tyler again.

Oh, I see now. I thought the phone became inactive after I used it the first time around so I didn’t try that option. I guess it makes sense showing how careless is Tyler, forgetting about the job completely. I still find this segment badly directed.

walas74 - 17 May 2021 04:18 AM

P.S I can’t wait to play the basketball one on one and win the bet, even with the clumsy controls…

I actually hated myself for choosing that option instead of asking for a delay Smile Would’ve preferred to minimize QTE, but it won’t hurt I guess.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Think I’ve finished the first section of the CPT. Had to replay two or three “chapters” because of a mishap with the autosave feature. Managed to somehow accidentally turn it off sometime early in the game. Beware fellow adventure gamers.

I saved the boy of course. But I didn’t get the sex scene. I felt Tyler should be in a hurry to get ready for work! But I did kiss the girlfriend before leaving of course. Heart

Enjoying the game as much as I did when I first played it all those years ago. The story and gameplay have been good so far. The dialog system is quite good since it makes things flow nicely, indeed a bit like in a movie. David Cage’s obsessiveness with quick time events/timed elements has been manageable so far, but if I remember correctly there are a few frustrating moments ahead.

Doom - 17 May 2021 11:49 AM

I actually hated myself for choosing that option instead of asking for a delay Smile Would’ve preferred to minimize QTE, but it won’t hurt I guess.

Not sure the basket ball contest can be avoided anyway. I chose “ask for delay” but that only lead to Tyler making the same suggestion with a promise to play later.

Interesting to play basket ball with automaton-Oscar anyway, right?

Total Posts: 5804

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I got through the tutorial & a few of the chapters - I’ll report back later!

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

I’ve reached the stopping point too.

As others have said, it’s a strong start to the game, the scenes in the diner are really intriguing. Although I could hardly remember any of the game before starting this playthrough that whole diner scene came back to memory quickly and how much I like it.

The soundtrack is top notch as well, but what else could we expect from Angelo “Twin Peaks” Badalamenti.

Nico2021 - 12 May 2021 11:40 AM

Am i the first to finish the section?
Also when in conversation you get to chose from 2-4 words but the time moves so fast that i can barely read the words, and usually i just chose the more fancy one. I understand that the aim was for you to choose fast so you dont overthink it, but the times goes so fast that the only thing you have

Also the designer must have a fetich with peeing or something.

Definitely agree. Once or twice there wasn’t even time to read the dialogue options. I don’t mind timed responses in the right sort of games (which would include this one) but this was too much, I just had just swipe a direction randomly once or twice.
Also the toilet/shower are definitely a David Cage Theme. Maybe this, Heavy Rain and Beyond: 2 Souls should be boxed up together as ‘The Bathroom’ trilogy! Wink

TimovieMan - 15 May 2021 06:27 PM

I own the original version and I have played it for a bit several years ago. But I was using the mouse and keyboard and the controls were an absolute disaster. I only got through the very first chapter before giving up then.
For my replay, I now have a controller, and it’s like the difference between night and day. Controls still aren’t perfect, but at least I’ll manage them this time, especially with the difficulty set to ‘easy’.

That’s interesting. I had a false start with this game a few days ago when I tried to use my steam controller via steam link and just couldn’t get it working properly. I then went back and started again with keyboard and mouse, but if it is a real improvement then I might try it again. I don’t know why, but I expected to find the controls not as bad as I remembered them with Keyboard and Mouse, but they really are!

TimovieMan - 15 May 2021 06:27 PM

But now I have another issue. It’s the same one I had with Heavy Rain when I played that last year: a crippling fear of “messing up” and consequently replaying chapters until I get the results I want.
I remember having a walktrough handy when I played the first chapter years ago to avoid negative points and to get most of the positive mood points.

I think that’s the natural adventure gamer in you! I have to mentally reset my ‘play style’, because of that same thing to try and just accept what I manage to do. Normally I want to do everything and get the best outcome. The idea of choice and different paths/outcomes is a good one, but only if I get the optimal path/outcome!

Tenebra - 15 May 2021 08:02 PM

I see that almost everyone saved the boy, me too, but as you know you can also decide not to do it, and avoid being recognised. Personally I can’t continue playing if I choose this option. The guilt would eat away at my soul for eternity.

Me too! If I try and fail then I’m all right with it but I’m just to weak or stupid or something to choose something like that in a game.

DCast - 16 May 2021 04:28 PM

I could also see how David Cage’s writing progressed from here. It shows a glimpse of a talented writer. It’s still pretty simplistic overall, but interesting enough to hook a player. I feel like D. Cage is one of those writers that never really makes a masterpiece with his work, but is interesting and deep enough for people to take him seriously and keep playing his games.

Agree. His sights are set so high and he does pretty well but never achieves the masterpiece he is looking for. But I still enjoy his games and they are definitely something different, even if he can’t really deliver on his promises of quality.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top