• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

How long is long enough?

Total Posts: 5030

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

As in most things, it depends. For example, it’s fairly well known that I despise “retro graphics.” So a game using retro graphics will need to have a lot of other things going for it in order to keep me interested past the one hour mark. Kathy Rain and Obra Din did just that. I was able to overlook the graphic shortcomings. So, for me, the concept of there being an “ideal” gameplay time is meaningless.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

So a game using retro graphics will need to have a lot of other things going for it in order to keep me interested past the one hour mark. Kathy Rain and Obra Din did just that. I was able to overlook the graphic shortcomings.

I liked Kathy Rains length, I believe it was around 10 hours or so. For a beginning low budget adventure game the length seemed about right.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1605

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

To be honest one of my favorite adventure games of all time is a pretty short game, which is full throttle. That is actually one reason I love the game, because I can get through it in about one or two sittings.  it is like revisiting a good comedy or action movie, bc its not a huge time investment.

Total Posts: 834

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Jdawg445 - 11 May 2021 08:36 AM

To be honest one of my favorite adventure games of all time is a pretty short game, which is full throttle. That is actually one reason I love the game, because I can get through it in about one or two sittings.  it is like revisiting a good comedy or action movie, bc its not a huge time investment.

This, *exactly*. Sitting down to play Full Throttle is, to me, like sitting down to watch a movie like Princess Mononoke. Two and a half hours of revisiting a story I know so well, but still enjoying every beat like it’s the first time, only in a different way.
Also, that game gets criticized for being too short, but the first time I played it, it really took a while. My family totally got our $40 worth out of it. And we didn’t often spend $40 on games, we usually waited a year or two and got them for half that or less. But man, for Full Throttle we just could not wait.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 1605

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Exactly, I actually don’t think the game gets praised enough for its puzzle design, besides the destruction Derby which was awful and not sign posted well at all. Other than that one puzzle they all made logical sense. how would Ben get into a locked bar, by kicking the door down of course. how would he get into a building with a rollup gate, by using a padlock obviously.

Do I think the game could have used a couple more screens, yes especially in the cavefishes lair. But the game is so fun and quick, I revisit it at least once a year.

Total Posts: 834

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Kicking in the trailer door was also brilliant.
And keep in mind that the verb coin was still new when Full Throttle came out, so we weren’t yet used to blowing into hoses with the ‘mouth’ part of the coin in order to siphon gas (a puzzle that I know I’ve seen in a couple of places since then…maybe Gabriel Knight 3? Might be wrong…) That took me a looong time to figure out!

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top