• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

zobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The hand of glory (a broken sword inspired game)

Total Posts: 1605

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Have any of yall ever heard of this game, Part one just came out with part 2 coming in Sept. There is a free prologue one steam. I think I will give it a try.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

just finished the demo, and the game has some really good voice acting with fun enough puzzles. My only problem with the game is the tone. the game seems to take itself very seriously even including a fair bit of foul language, but then the main character is dressed like a cos-playing sherlock holmes doofus. It is distracting. Saying that though I think i will get the game. its 16 bucks and that is for part one and part 2. the devs say part one which is out now (part 2 is due in sept) is 8 to 10 hrs long and part 2 will be 5 to 6 hrs long. So I think that is a fair price

Total Posts: 5804

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Jdawg445 - 11 June 2020 02:35 PM

just finished the demo, and the game has some really good voice acting with fun enough puzzles. My only problem with the game is the tone. the game seems to take itself very seriously even including a fair bit of foul language, but then the main character is dressed like a cos-playing sherlock holmes doofus. It is distracting. Saying that though I think i will get the game. its 16 bucks and that is for part one and part 2. the devs say part one which is out now (part 2 is due in sept) is 8 to 10 hrs long and part 2 will be 5 to 6 hrs long. So I think that is a fair price

I’ve just finished Part 1 of the game which took me 11 hours. I have to agree that for the most part the voice-acting was very good.
I also agree with those comments about the main character but I liked the story a lot.
Apart from a few more challenging ones the puzzles, although interesting & fun enough,  are on the easy side but the main problem for me was that although you have plenty to do a lot of the game automatically completes tasks for you & there are too many cut scenes in lieu of gameplay.
The humour in the game gives an air of light-heartedness to the plot which lessens the impact of the more serious & shocking aspects encountered later - for me the tone needed to be more consistent .
But, I’m looking forward to the next exciting installment!   
  Smile

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

chrissie - 12 June 2020 02:45 PM
Jdawg445 - 11 June 2020 02:35 PM

I’ve just finished Part 1 of the game which took me 11 hours. I have to agree that for the most part the voice-acting was very good.
I also agree with those comments about the main character but I liked the story a lot.
Apart from a few more challenging ones the puzzles, although interesting & fun enough,  are on the easy side but the main problem for me was that although you have plenty to do a lot of the game automatically completes tasks for you & there are too many cut scenes in lieu of gameplay.
The humour in the game gives an air of light-heartedness to the plot which lessens the impact of the more serious & shocking aspects encountered later - for me the tone needed to be more consistent .
But, I’m looking forward to the next exciting installment!   
  Smile

Im a fair bit into the game and agree with you. Everytime im truly getting engrossed into the story, a dumb joke or gimmick draws me out of it some. I have also found the game easy enough. The only puzzle that challenged me so far was a music puzzle involving a desk. I brute forced my way through it, but still dont really understand the puzzle.

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

If only they took their visual cues from Broken Sword. I’m really not into the shiny, polished style which reminds me of Deponia and looks like it was done by an automated graphics creator program instead of hand-crafted by a real person.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

cyfoyjvx - 13 June 2020 12:32 AM

If only they took their visual cues from Broken Sword. I’m really not into the shiny, polished style which reminds me of Deponia and looks like it was done by an automated graphics creator program instead of hand-crafted by a real person.

It looks quite good to me, although I have only seen promotional material.
In any case, it looks much closer to Broken Sword style than Broken Sword 5 did.

Total Posts: 42

Joined 2019-07-06

PM

Hi, guys, I’m the developer of The Hand of Glory!

Thank you for your comments, of any kind. Through these comments we can understand what works and what doesn’t, and as a consequence we can learn and grow up!

If you have any question, just ask!  Laughing

The Hand of Glory is out!
Currently developing Roots in the Sky - The Hand of Glory 2!

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

just finished part one of the game, and to me it is a classic example of a decent game that could have been so much more. The “shocking” ending came out of left field and made very little sense to me and I laughed a bit, and not in a good way. The rest of the story was ok, with a whole bunch of tying things together that really didnt have to be tied together. The voice acting saved a lot of the writing for me, the writing was very amateurish. The humor is extremely hit or miss to me, more miss than hit. Although there were a few genuine chuckles to be had. The puzzle design for the most part was really well done, the game is on the easier side of things though. My favorite character was the big brute, and laz and the intern were both charming. Overall I thought it was ok like a 6.5/10, I really hated the ending but I am hoping the 2nd part of the game can save the experience as a whole. I beat the game in about 8 hrs.

Joined 2019-07-06

PM

Thanks both to chrissie and Jdawg445 for playing The Hand of Glory!  Laughing

We’re gathering the feedback we’re receiving, we’ll definitely make use of it. We are looking forward to hearing your opinions on Part 2!

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Madit Games - 16 June 2020 03:57 AM

Thanks both to chrissie and Jdawg445 for playing The Hand of Glory!  Laughing

We’re gathering the feedback we’re receiving, we’ll definitely make use of it. We are looking forward to hearing your opinions on Part 2!

No problem i am still intrigued to see where things go. Ps the chess puzzle was fun and felt very broken swordy lol. The ship section as a whole had the best puzzles at least to me.

Joined 2019-07-06

PM

Jdawg445 - 16 June 2020 08:03 AM

No problem i am still intrigued to see where things go. Ps the chess puzzle was fun and felt very broken swordy lol. The ship section as a whole had the best puzzles at least to me.

I’m pretty proud of the ship part! Personally, if I have to talk from a player perspective (I still enjoy playing my own game!), my favourite part is all the section where you need to get inside the factory.

But then again, I’m in love with Part 2, which has got stronger Broken Sword vibes! I can’t wait to release it!

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Madit Games - 16 June 2020 06:12 PM
Jdawg445 - 16 June 2020 08:03 AM

I’m pretty proud of the ship part! Personally, if I have to talk from a player perspective (I still enjoy playing my own game!), my favourite part is all the section where you need to get inside the factory.

But then again, I’m in love with Part 2, which has got stronger Broken Sword vibes! I can’t wait to release it!

That is great

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

for the record I really do like lars, especially the actor that plays him. I just think sometimes his dialogue is a little to on the nose and his character traits are all over the place. when he works he really works, but when he doesnt, the character really falls flat on his face.

As far as the other characters go, none of them feel like the are from Miami or like real people, you got two royal englsih homeless people. An irsih captain, a newspaper guy “pretending to be french” and an Asian officer that looks like he is dressed like a wizard from discworld. Thats what I mean by all too much. I hope Italy’s people are more realistic .That is one of the reasons I liked the demo so much, yes lars looked ridiculous dressed like sherlock holmes, but the rest of the world was played straight. the background art was amazing and blowtorch and his hostage both looked like real people from that area. Plus lars trying to break in the apartment was good comedy, especially the easter egg stuff.

Joined 2019-07-06

PM

Jdawg445 - 17 June 2020 09:40 AM

for the record I really do like lars, especially the actor that plays him. I just think sometimes his dialogue is a little to on the nose and his character traits are all over the place. when he works he really works, but when he doesnt, the character really falls flat on his face.

Matthew Curtis is a genius, I instantly fell in love with his acting and he can do EVERYTHING with his voice. He was perfect for Lars, who is very weird and constantly changes his tone. I will talk more about Lars in the future, but I have to say I’m satisfied with him. He is not a standard character, one you’ll instantly forget once you’ve finished the game.

Jdawg445 - 17 June 2020 09:40 AM

As far as the other characters go, none of them feel like the are from Miami or like real people, you got two royal englsih homeless people. An irsih captain, a newspaper guy “pretending to be french” and an Asian officer that looks like he is dressed like a wizard from discworld. Thats what I mean by all too much. I hope Italy’s people are more realistic .That is one of the reasons I liked the demo so much, yes lars looked ridiculous dressed like sherlock holmes, but the rest of the world was played straight. the background art was amazing and blowtorch and his hostage both looked like real people from that area. Plus lars trying to break in the apartment was good comedy, especially the easter egg stuff.

I see your point, but I’m happy with the result nonetheless. There are strong Miami vibes in the first part of the game, maybe not through people, but through descriptions, visuals, sounds (both ambient and musically, our musician is spanish and a real expert when it comes to that kind of music).

About people in Italy… well, it’s going to be more realistic, yes. It’s a reality I’m more confident with, being my country.

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2006-06-27

PM

Lars voice reminds me of the great Hollywood actor Patrick Wilson. He is one of my favorite actors so I like it. I have been following The Hand of Glory for a long time but I have not played it yet. I think Miami and Italy are great locations for a game, and in real life naturally.

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2020-06-21

PM

I hadn’t heard about this game until I stumbled across this post. Broken Sword is one of my all-time favourite adventure game series.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top