• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

KeybordzLady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

New 3DS announced

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Sony released about 80 3D comparable games for the PS3. The games were marked on the box as 3D compatable. One of them is Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception.

To play the game in 3D, you needed a 3D TV or VR headset, both of which Sony sold.

They started 3D in 2011 and only supported it for a few years.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 291

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Whoa, thanks for the heads up.  My friends have PS VR headset, maybe they will let me try out a game in 3d mode.  I dont’ think I would want to play a whole game that way, but could be fun to check it out.  I’m still impressed by ps3 graphics to this day.

I have one game on ps4 called “Persona 5, Dancing in Starlight” I think, and it’s just a rhythm game using the songs from the persona series.  But on the box it says like “better with PSVR”

So I went to my friend’s house, put in the game, plugged in the headset, etc

The only thing you can do, is when you go to changing room to pick the character costumes, you can change their costumes in VR, and preview some of their dance moves.

I don’t understand why they bothered at all if they weren’t going to make the gameplay VR compatible in some way.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Sony released a 3D HMD for the PS3. The current PSVR headset is PS4 only. There are several YouTube videos of people who bought a PS3 3D TV playing games on it. It has a small cult following.

In the day, I enjoyed the system, the HMD headset and the 3D effect were very good, I got it all cheap used.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Goodness.  So let me get this right; the PS3 had it’s own Head-mounted display for 3d, PSVR despite being head-mounted and capable of creating the illusion of depth is not compatible with PS3d games?!

Sony Why do you do this stuff to me?!

IF I can find the TV for cheap that sounds like a much better idea.  Not much into the lonely/unaware feeling of playing with a headset.

Total Posts: 216

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Just finished Miracle Mask. My first Layton game and now I’m hooked Smile

Seeing it has the lowest score of all Layton games here on AG, I wonder how good the rest of the series is. I mean, I loved MM. While I didn’t like the Las Vegas inspired setting at first, it grew on me as I went on and by the end of the game I became very fond of it.
Also, stereoscopic 3D was great (even though it was the first 3ds title, where I had to lower intensity of 3d a little bit, as it was straining my eyes on max).

I wanted to play Azran Legacy next and Last Specter last, but seeing how much I was enjoying MM’s story, I decided to play LS before AA. So far it’s great. Foggy town makes for an interesting setting.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Yes, MM is a great Layton game. I liked all of them in fact. But Curious Village will always be my favorite. The crossover game with Ace Attorney is really good too.

Heart

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

The problem for me with Curious village I think is just Luke Triton feels… off.

He is my favorite character, and I wish we had a spin off that was just Luke Triton (Gentleman in training!) and Flora solving mysteries.

But in the first one, he looks derpy, and his voice isn’t right, and he’s not that cute.

By the time we make it to the Ace Attorney/Layton cross-over, Luke looks and sounds great.

I was kind of frustrated by the mix of gameplay though.  For some reason, I love PWAA, I love Layton, and I love the cross-over game, but it just feels less than the other games in their respective series.

And the art styles are kind of at odds with each other too.

Layton just has a beige tube for a head with little, terrifying beady black eyes.  It doesn’t mesh well with anything in the Ace-attorney art style in my opinion.

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Mikekelly - 12 June 2020 01:30 PM

Yes, MM is a great Layton game. I liked all of them in fact. But Curious Village will always be my favorite. The crossover game with Ace Attorney is really good too.

I’m planning to play the original trilogy after I’m done with prequels.
Actually, I started Curious Village on Android a few months back. Only played for about an hour and it was great, but it quickly became apparent, the game was clearly built with DS’s two screens in mind and it just felt a bit off on tablet.

Layton-Ace Attorney crossover looks good too. But I’m not sure about Ace Attorney part. I mean I didn’t really play AA game yet, but I was watching some gameplay videos and it seems it’s mostly reading dialogues and very little actual playing. More like a visual novel, which I’m not a fan of.

I’ll probably play it in the end for Layton parts though.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Layton-Ace Attorney crossover has gotten rave reviews and an Aggie award. It’s a good blend of Ace Attorney and Layton, there’s enough Layton in the game to appeal to Layton fans.

Heart

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Aaand I’m done with Last Specter.

First of all, it was great. Loved the puzzles and setting and story was interesting as well.
I must say I prefer Miracle Mask by a tiny bit though. First half of Last Specter was perfect. The pacing was actually better than in MM, but in second half the story lost a bit of steam and I found the second half of MM better (despite one of its twists being quite obvious).

Anyway, I thought I’d need a bit of a break after second Layton in a row, but surprisingly I’m ready for more. So, I’m off to Azran Legacy now.

What a lovely series.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Glad you are enjoying these games. I do hope the series continues in the future. I actually liked all of them. The ones on the 3DS were graphically improved over previous DS releases but all of them are very charming.

Heart

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Yes, coming from Miracle Mask I was kind of afraid the drop in graphics quality and polish of DS’s Last Specter will hamper the experience. To my surprise it didn’t bother me at all. DS games actually have some old school charm to them and I’m already looking forward to play through original trilogy after I’ll be done with prequels.

That being said, starting up Azran Legacy after LS did give me a bit of a “wow” moment again Smile Graphics seem even better than in Miracle Mask and contrary to MM they aren’t causing any eye strain even on max 3d setting.

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

To continue with my 3ds journey. I just finished Azran Legacy.
What a great conclusion of trilogy. Loved it!
While I love how other games are focused on exploring one town, I also think Azran’s exploration of more locations across the world was a nice change of pace.

It’s hard to choose the favourite prequel, but I’d say I liked Miracle Mask and Azran Legacy a little bit more than Last Specter. But just for a tiny bit.
In general, reading AG’s reviews, I’m a bit surprised prequel’s scores varies so much. I’d say all 3 are of about the same quality, with the only real difference being stories and pacing. Meaning, if you like one, you’ll gonna like the others as well.

I’ll probably take a bit of time off from Layton, before I’ll start the original trilogy.

I’m thinking about playing Steamworld Dig 2 next. It’s the game I wanted to play for a long time, but never came around to do so. Seeing how beautiful the game looks in 3D, I’m actually glad I’ve waited.

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Well the biggest problem for me was the small screen of the 2ds and the audio is AWFUL.

You basically have to play with headphones to hear anything.

I don’t remember any vitriol about it really?

It was the cheap alternative, and truly it’s what re-sparked my love of gaming when I got clean of drugs because I wasn’t ready for a full console-experience, although there definitely were some.  And I bought my 2ds used and the game store had buy 2 games get one free, so I think the first day I spent like $300 and had everything from mario titles to adventure ports to remakes to racing to casual etc.

Hell even the crossword games on DS are champ compared to the ps2 versions.

Because I get headaches easy, when the NEW 2ds XL came out and was announced with a second analog stick, bigger screen, clam shell design (I am very clumsy) and the ability to play “New 3ds” exclusives, I instantly had to pre-order it because it came in my favorite color, neon blue and black!
I did eventually get a new 3dsxl second hand from a friend to try out the 3d, and while it works, and it is impressive, I can’t see me playing whole games that way.

I really wish we’d see more DS ports to switch, maybe that pairs with smart TVs or something so the switch can be the bottom screen, and the television the top screen?

To this day that’s what I find worst about the ds-line is there is no GOOD option for playing on a big screen.  There are certainly plenty of games with 40-100 hours play time, and that’s a lot of time to be focused on a small device!

At least with all versions of GB/A color etc, all had console alternatives.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Many consoles (handheld) had someway to play your games on a TV. Sadly, the DS/3DS line does not have that option at all in anyway. Too bad.

The good thing about the PSVITA and 3DS that we won’t see on the Switch is AR games. What few they had were amazing. I wish there was someway of doing AR gaming on the Switch but it’s a no go so far.

Heart

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top