• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

skeeter_93walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG’s Rock Community

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Total Posts: 191

Joined 2004-12-30

PM

Advie - 21 September 2012 04:01 PM

DAMN

Proof that how cool you were or were not in high school is no indication of how cool you’ll wind up being as an adult.

It is interesting, though, to note how several of the guys pictured there had “I’m in a rock band” clearly written all over their faces even then while others would have been the very last people you’d expect to have a career in the performance end of the music business.

Warning- People won’t have as much of a sense of humor about you putting an Alka Seltzer in your mouth then staggering into a restaurant while shouting “THE VIRUS HAS MUTATED!” as you’d hope they would.

Consider this: People say “Ewwww!!!” when they hear about a guy having a hairy bum or hairy back, yet every Teddy Bear ever made has had both a hairy bum AND a hairy back and nobody complains about them; In fact, people think Teddy Bears are adorable.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Total Posts: 236

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Iron Maiden and Rammstein are headlining the Download Festival next year! I’m SO going to that! Heart

http://www.downloadfestival.co.uk/

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

as much screws lose inside Ozzy’s head as much as he always do spit the truth.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Good Morning AG

Total Posts: 236

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

^
Thanks to that, I’ve been listening to Alice in Chains all week! Grin

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2008-03-01

PM

Hmm..I haven’t posted for a long time..
I’m remembering the time my brother intruduced me to metal music..

Nothing to say - Angra

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Morning’s Mode

Total Posts: 8469

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

* crossquote from the “Struggled Heroes” thread because I didn’t want to drag it too far off-topic *

Advie - 01 February 2013 03:08 PM
TimovieMan - 01 February 2013 11:27 AM

My favourite Led Zeppelin song is Kashmir, which is 26 seconds longer than Stairway to Heaven, and my favourite song of all time is ‘Arriving Somewhere (But Not Here)’ by Porcupine Tree - over 4 minutes longer than Stairway… Wink

after walking 3 Miles on foot away from the president Castle Burning’s back home Porcupine Tree were really a relief , i never had any love for them .. but this track is somewhere between Pink Floyd and Dream Theatre , which is a terrific combination ... i loved Wilson Synth’s Work on the Track , Purely Something Different and Up to date , i guess Porcupine Tree aren’t that spoiled after all as i thought with all the funding’s and the great Production they got .. i should give them the time they deserve to listen to now as i already had enough of their Twin;s Dream Theatre. Smile
Thanks Timothy, nice taste really Wink

You’re definitely not far off when you mention Pink Floyd among the Porcupine Tree references. Their early work makes them sound almost like a Pink Floyd tribute band - the earlier songs are HEAVILY influenced by Pink Floyd (example: Voyage 34), while in the early 2000s they shifted more to alternative rock & prog rock (which turned slightly harder after they did several tours with the band Opeth).

I’m a big Porcupine Tree fan, and I especially love the early 2000s work (with the Lightbulb Sun, In Absentia and Deadwing albums). Plus I love the variety in their songs (Blackest Eyes even has a Brian Wilson vibe), and the fact that they actually release “concept” albums (that really need to be listened to from beginning to end to be fully appreciated) instead of “a collection of songs”.

I don’t really get the comparison you make with Dream Theatre. I know Porcupine Tree toured as a support act for Dream Theatre in the past, but personally I find them far superior. But I’m not a fan of Dream Theatre at all, so I may be biased. Smile

Heck, I even consider Porcupine Tree’s Gavin Harrison a far better drummer than the (imo slightly overrated) Mike Portnoy of Dream Theatre.
In fact, I’ll go as far as claiming that Gavin Harrison is imo the best drummer in the world, second only to Tool’s Danny Carey. Tongue

I also don’t get what you mean by their “funding” and great production. After Lightbulb Sun (and due to more widespread recognition because of the internet), they signed with a major record label. Is that what you meant? They just got what was rightfully coming to them, because they’re awesome. Grin

It helps that they can establish a “visual style” to go with their music, by means of Lasse Hoile’s photographic work (similar to what Tool tried to achieve with their videos and album cover art).

The band’s on hiatus for the moment though, because frontman Steven Wilson is busy doing solo work - which is also very good, btw.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

thanks for the detailed post Timo, what i actually know about Porcupine Tree is just the knowledge of listening some tracks of them ... and i had this info Wilson is doing all the funding of their LPs that why i said spoiled as Wilson the Multi Million-er wont have any problem with shinning his band , instead of Dream Threatre were all of them are colleagues.

i actually dont have much knowledge about them so i take all what you said is for granted ,

but i have something that you may like which i am proud of ; ... the John Wesley himself liked my work, can you imagine that!!!!

see this post an Egyptian Band called SimpleXity i had the honor to record their single track Black Hole from A to Z and the John Wesley is a member at their fan page and the great thing that he liked the song (Black Hole) that i recorded ,mixed and mastered ...

i know kind of long indirect Like but it made me feel so happy, read the post, i am that Amgad Shebl and my studio is called SoLo and also please listen to the track a well

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=545846768761013&set=a.488901397788884.118569.220070801338613&type=1&relevant_count=1

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i was sitting yesterday with a friend a Rocker like me Smile were trying to gather/Remember a list for the Rock/Metal Bands/Musicians we had grown up with ,but esp. the 70’s and 80’s and we made that far..
thought of sharing this list here Smile

-deep purple ,-black sabbath ,-led zepplin ,-aerosmith ,-Rainbow ,-queen ,-pink floyd ,-white snake ,-judas priest ,-scorpions, -triumph ,-camel ,-bon jovi, -def leppard, -krokus, -skid row, -gun n’ roses, -Europe, -steel heart ,-d.a.d, -manowar, -ozzy, -dio, -malmsteen, -dokken, -queensryche, -savatage, -free, -halloween ,-iron maiden ,-megadeth ,-metallica ,-slayer ,-pantera ,-anthrax,-motorhead ,-styx ,-warrant ,-thunder ,-ted nugent ,-thin lizzy ,-alice copper ,-the who ,-winger ,-twisted sister ,-quite riot ,-ratt,-kiss ,-rolling stones ,-tesla ,-U2 ,-motley crue ,-cutting crew ,-saxon ,-accept ,-meat loaf ,-poison ,-frank zappa ,-ufo, -bad company,-nazarath ,-vixen ,-lita ford ,-jeff healy ,-mr big ,-racer x ,-cinderella ,-wasp ,-dire straits ,-doors ,-ac/dc ,-van halen ,-david lee roth,-red hot chili peppers ,-kansas ,-loudness ,-enuff z’ enuff ,-zz top ,-cacophony ,-dolls of newyork ,-striker ,-badlands ,-rage,-slaughter ,-survivor ,-gregg allman ,-damn yankees ,-kix ,-ugly kid joe, -beck ,-Air Supply ,-Aldo Nova,-Beatles ,-Chicago ,-Eagles ,-Foreigner ,-Genesis ,-Great White ,-white lion ,-Heart ,-inxs ,-depeche mode, -Journey ,-Peter Gabriel ,-Rod Stewart ,-rush ,-police ,-Toto ,-Y&T ,-Yes ,Jethro Tull ..........

Total Posts: 8469

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

No Blue Öyster Cult? Foghat? Death Angel? The Cure? Molly Hatchet? Stevie Ray Vaughan? Rory Gallagher? Alan Parsons Project? The Sensational Alex Harvey Band? Iggy Pop and the Stooges? Danzig? Link Wray? The Beach Boys? Rose Tattoo? ANY of the British punk rock bands from the late ‘70s and early ‘80s?

Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

The Cure ,Blue Öyster Cult ,Stevie Ray ,Iggy Pop ,Danzig The Beach Boys .. yeah ! we must have just forgotten them but about the other you mentioned above i would lie if i heard of them before ..  Cool

Total Posts: 191

Joined 2004-12-30

PM

Advie - 20 April 2013 12:03 PM

i was sitting yesterday with a friend a Rocker like me Smile were trying to gather/Remember a list for the Rock/Metal Bands/Musicians we had grown up with ,but esp. the 70’s and 80’s and we made that far..
thought of sharing this list here Smile

-AC/DC,- Accept,- Aerosmith,- Air Supply,- Aldo Nova,- Alice Cooper,- Gregg Allman,- Anthrax,- Bad Company,- Badlands,- The Beach Boys,- The Beatles,- Beck,- Black Sabbath,- Blue Oyster Cult,- Bon Jovi,- Cacaphony,- Camel,- Chicago,- Cinderella,- The Cure,- Cutting Crew,- D.A.D.,- Damn Yankees,- Danzig,- David Lee Roth,- Deep Purple,- Def Leppard,- Depeche Mode,- Dio,- Dire Straits,- Dokken,- The Doors,- The Eagles,- Enuff z’ Enuff,- Europe,- Free,- Lita Ford,- Foreigner,- Peter Gabriel,- Genesis,- Great White,- Guns n’ Roses,- Halloween,- Heart,- INXS,- Iron Maiden,- Jeff Healy,- Jethro Tull,- Journey,- Judas Priest,- Kansas,- Kiss,- Kix,- Krokus,- Led Zeppelin,- Loudness,- Malmsteen,- Manowar,- Meat Loaf,- Megadeth,- Metallica,- Mr. Big,- Motley Crue,- Motorhead,- Nazareth,- New York Dolls,- Ozzy Osbourne,- Pantera,- Pink Floyd,- Poison,- The Police,- Iggy Pop,- Queen,- Queensryche,- Quiet Riot,- Racer X,- Rage,- Rainbow,- Ratt,- Red Hot Chili Peppers,- The Rolling Stones,- Rush,- Savatage,- Saxon,- Scorpions,- Skid Row,- Slaughter,- Slayer,- Steel Heart,- Rod Stewart,- Striker,- Styx,- Survivor,- Ted Nugent,- Tesla,- Thin Lizzy,- Thunder,- Toto,- Triumph,- Twisted Sister,- U2,- UFO,- Ugly Kid Joe,- Van Halen,- Stevie Ray Vaughn,- Vixen,- Warrant,- Wasp,- White Lion,- Whitesnake,- The Who,- Winger,- Y&T,- Yes,- Frank Zappa,- ZZ Top ..........

I alphabetized and updated your list because, well… I had to, okay?

Obsessive/Compulsive behavior indulgence aside, have you no appreciation for Boston or Emerson, Lake, & Palmer?

Warning- People won’t have as much of a sense of humor about you putting an Alka Seltzer in your mouth then staggering into a restaurant while shouting “THE VIRUS HAS MUTATED!” as you’d hope they would.

Consider this: People say “Ewwww!!!” when they hear about a guy having a hairy bum or hairy back, yet every Teddy Bear ever made has had both a hairy bum AND a hairy back and nobody complains about them; In fact, people think Teddy Bears are adorable.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top