• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CaliMonkCarles

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Global Weather Changes

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Braid, RE and other gaming elements are just to keep the tone on lighter side, but main point is importance of life and how its trivialized in one part of the world and
not accounted, while other parts are ofcourse with functional medicare are indifferent concerned more about weather and plants than human life.
And thats why getting more chicken shit over hot weather where other regions dont even have clean water. Huge installations of US in Nigeria for Oil and ripping clean other resources and Nigeria doesn’t get anything, while Lasvegas is largest consumer of the water.
Food for thought.

Give me the numbers from authentic source,link me documentaries of people who have actually been to Africa and accounting every death through various diseases.
You have seen the UN condition they are grabbed by the balls even they are attacked they cannot do shit,  FDA has been complacent hundred times due to the pressure of Corporations.I can list all the harmful substances still used in Colored drinks, but they cant do shit.
These mainstream middle agents are good for nothing when it comes to authenticity, and are just there to fill the gap.

Diseases have always existed
Wars have always existed
Poverty have always existed
The big taking advantage of the small have always existed

The simple truth however is that we are now

Yes all those existed but the bubble is expanding and gap between have and have nots
is widening, and double standards are even more funny.

We are in good shit so the whole world is, this concept is not native to my thinking.

We aren’t , in global Political view the poorer is being ripped even more.

As i said , if you have any idea of Conflict Minerals, your purchase of Apple products is actually funding the war in Africa, all the child labor, and the supply chain cannot
be traced back by noobish journalists. So all the points made in favor of sustaining planet are basically shit, as it cancels the effect.

Here
Reality , see the whole Doc if you guys have time

And here , other part of reality

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/csr/en/report2014/02_2/index.html

This is the PR you guys and First world needs to sleep better at night.

Not untill serious pressure Ninty finally start mentioning about the Conflict minerals.

Check the timeline

• Added conflict minerals to on-site inspections FY2011

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Karlok - 03 August 2014 08:44 AM
Iznogood - 03 August 2014 07:54 AM

...less people (in %) are dying from diseases than ever before in history.
...and less people are dying in wars.

That’s great news! Now all we have to do is eliminate car/train/plane accidents and eternal life is within reach.

Be sarcastic all you want, but the facts are the facts and you can’t deny the simple facts no matter how much you might want to.

nomadsoul - 03 August 2014 09:16 AM

Braid, RE and other gaming elements are just to keep the tone on lighter side, but main point is importance of life and how its trivialized in one part of the world and ...

I do get your point and actually agree at least to a certain point, there are certainly a lot of problems and a lot of people suffering in the world. But even in Africa things aren’t all black (pun intended) but much more varying, diverse and overall both better and improving, compared to the picture you are painting. I have actually travelled a bit in Africa, not counting the dead but on business, and what I have personally experienced is completely different and much more positive then the impression you get from watching the news, with blooming businesses, a relative well educated and growing middle class etc.

There is also a lot of problems in Africa, and the civil war in Congo is terrible, but Africa isn’t just this black hole of a continent that many seems to believe. In fact at least parts of Africa might just turn into the next China with booming growth rates and considerable increase of living standards, it isn’t there yet but it has the potential for it.

while other parts are ofcourse with functional medicare are indifferent concerned more about weather and plants than human life.

The two things aren’t mutually exclusive.
The weather changes can and most likely will cause flooding in some areas and drought in others. For example Bangladesh, one of the poorest countries and the most densely populated country in the world, will most likely have large areas being flooded by seawater, and large parts of Africa will suffer from drought, both affecting millions and millions of people.

It doesn’t mean that we should focus purely on these long term problems, and forget to do anything about the immediate problems like the civil war in Congo.

Now some might call me a bit naive, but I have seen a lot of things improve in my own lifetime, with the economic boom in China and other parts of Asia, the fall of the Berlin Wall, the overall improvement in living standards globally, the fall of dictators in both South America and Africa, the reduction in pollution in the western world, eradication of Smallpox, rising average age globally, the reduction in infant mortality etc.

And if we look at the long picture, then the human history has almost unambiguously gone in the direction from worse towards better, and I don’t really see any reason why it should continue to do so despite of whatever problems we have both now and in the near future.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 7420

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Iznogood - 03 August 2014 10:53 AM

That’s great news! Now all we have to do is eliminate car/train/plane accidents and eternal life is within reach.

Be sarcastic all you want, but the facts are the facts and you can’t deny the simple facts no matter how much you might want to.

Facts? I’ve seen blanket statements. People will always die of diseases. It’s almost like you think there’s a fixed number of diseases in the world. Smallpox was eradicated, hurray! X minus one to go. Nature, life, the world don’t work like that. Some diseases are here to stay forever, some are contained or controlled, some make a comeback and new diseases like ebola will appear. All the ebola virus needs to become a worldwide killer is a tiny mutation.

Now some might call me a bit naive,

Yes!

Mankind hasn’t changed one little bit since prehistoric times. There are countless things to be grateful for, like civilization, democracy, law and justice, you name it. But they are skin deep. They keep our wild, brutal, selfish, murdering nature in check.

EDIT: If you haven’t already, watch Time of the Wolf by one of my favorite directors, Haneke.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 8469

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 04 August 2014 07:50 AM

They keep our wild, brutal, selfish, murdering nature in check.

Do they? I wonder how the people in Gaza feel about that. Or the people whose daughters were kidnapped by Boko Haram. Or the people etc.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TimovieMan - 04 August 2014 08:00 AM

They keep our wild, brutal, selfish, murdering nature in check.

Do they? I wonder how the people in Gaza feel about that. Or the people whose daughters were kidnapped by Boko Haram. Or the people etc.

You got it in one.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Facts? I’ve seen blanket statements.

What!?! You want me to quote how many died from the Black Death in Europa, what a cesspool of disease and filth ancient Rome was, or how many was murdered, raped, tortured to death or enslaved when the Romans eradicated Carthage, during the Napoleon Wars, WWII, the civil wars in Japan ... ?

I haven’t got the time nor the inclination to give you a full education of human history. That the statements I made are true should be self-evident for anyone who has even the slightest knowledge of history. If you want to believe otherwise, that everything was better in ye olden days where there was no disease, wars or suffering, then who is being naive now?

And yes I do know that you didn’t actually said that, which makes your post even more mysterious as you are both challenging the facts I posted, and at the same time not actually denying them. So which is it? Do you accept that they are true or will you claim that they are false? They can’t be both at the same time.

People will always die of diseases. It’s almost like you think there’s a fixed number of diseases in the world. Smallpox was eradicated, hurray! X minus one to go. Nature, life, the world don’t work like that. Some diseases are here to stay forever, some are contained or controlled, some make a comeback and new diseases like ebola will appear.

I never said that people aren’t dying of diseases or that people won’t continue to die from diseases! What I did say was:

The simple truth however is that we are now much better at treating diseases than we have ever been before, less people (in %) are dying from diseases than ever before in history. And if some kind of pandemic should hit us, then we are much better equipped to deal with than we ever been before in history.

Mankind hasn’t changed one little bit since prehistoric times.

Man might not have changed but Mankind has!
It is what that is normally called Civilization and Extelligence, and especially the Extelligence part has increased tremendously since prehistoric times, but the Civilization part should also not be underestimated even though it sometimes feels like we aren’t as civilized as we would like to think.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Well, this may be a difference of mind-set (optimism vs pessimism) or even of temperament, but I’m still getting the impression that you haven’t understood what I said about food, water, phosphate, climate change, ebola, blanket statements, civilization, mankind.

So be it.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

In fact at least parts of Africa might just turn into the next China with booming growth rates and considerable increase of living standards, it isn’t there yet but it has the potential for it.

Funny you mention the “booming” in china as a good thing.
This begs to differ:
http://rt.com/news/china-water-pollution-cancer-346/
http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-04-30/chinas-income-inequality-gap-widens-beyond-u-dot-s-dot-levels

Beijing

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2014-04/05/content_17410294.htm

Much better life indeed.

while other parts are ofcourse with functional medicare are indifferent concerned more about weather and plants than human life.

The 2 are very connected and with worsened weather, and lack of drinking water, the people who are going to suffer most at the beginning are third world countries.
Just last November, typhoon Haiyan hit the Philippines killing at least 6,300 people in that country alone. It is one of the strongest tropical cyclones ever recorded. This is just the beginning and things will only get worse.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typhoon_Haiyan

And just because we do voice our concerns over global warming, it doesn’t mean we don’t care about other conflicts happening in the world. The 2 are not mutually exclusive. I am as vocal about what’s happening to the Palestinians, and the lack of global empathy from the general public (and especially our US government).

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Maybe there are today less epidemic diseases that wipe out whole populations than during the Roman times, and we have better control over that, but what we have instead is unprecedented amounts of heart disease, cancer, and diabetes. Roughly one out of 2 men in the US gets cancer once in their lifetime, and one out of 3 women. Hell my dad who has been a doctor for 75 years told me he is seeing today cancer cases he has never seen before in his life. Technology: the answer to everything indeed.  Meh

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Karlok - 04 August 2014 11:15 AM

Well, this may be a difference of mind-set (optimism vs pessimism) or even of temperament, but I’m still getting the impression that you haven’t understood what I said about food, water, phosphate, climate change, ebola, blanket statements, civilization, mankind.

No, I do get your points.
And yes, it is (to a large degree) a difference of mind-set.

SoccerDude28 - 04 August 2014 11:50 AM

That millions and millions of Chinese have been lifted out of deep poverty, is a good thing IMO. That it has also caused a massive amount of pollution is not, no argument there.

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Iznogood - 04 August 2014 12:09 PM

That millions and millions of Chinese have been lifted out of deep poverty, is a good thing IMO. That it has also caused a massive amount of pollution is not, no argument there.

Sometimes living in poverty is happier for people than the massive injustice of income inequality. Watch the documentary “Happy”(it is available on Netflix if you have the service) to see what makes people happy. If everyone is poor and they are all poor together, they might be happier than if a small portion of the population is filthy rich and the majority are living in poverty. I don’t think people working in factories in hazardous conditions for a crazy amount of hours(some of them even jumping out of buildings because of overworking) are better of. Or farmers who have to water their lands with water supply that was tainted by chemicals dumped making cheap products for the west.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

SoccerDude28 - 04 August 2014 12:24 PM

Sometimes living in poverty is happier for people than the massive injustice of income inequality.

I don’t think you realise what deep or extreme poverty is or how bad things were in China under Mao and before the economic reforms in the late 70’s and early 80’s. It is for example estimated that between 18 and 42 million Chinese died of starvation in the Great Leap Forward Famine, and I might be wrong, but I don’t think dying from starvation has ever made anybody happy.

Does that mean that everything is perfect in China now? Of course not, but if you ask the Chinese then I’m pretty certain that the vast majority still prefers the current situation compared to how it was only a few decades ago.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

SoccerDude28 - 04 August 2014 11:50 AM

In fact at least parts of Africa might just turn into the next China with booming growth rates and considerable increase of living standards, it isn’t there yet but it has the potential for it.

This begs to differ:
http://rt.com/news/china-water-pollution-cancer-346/
http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-04-30/chinas-income-inequality-gap-widens-beyond-u-dot-s-dot-levels

Beijing

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2014-04/05/content_17410294.htm

Much better life indeed.

As you pointed out in other post,

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/01/johnson-johnson-baby-sham_n_1069123.html

Plus all the marketed smoking shit

+ Super Processed Fastfood etc.

Is resulting in same net effect as the Pollution in China or elsewhere or may
be more.
My point is things like Babyshampoo and Nintendo will creep in your luxurious life as super branded products where in reality they are destroying more lives than anything.
More directly. Grow some plants then play Mario and ask children to use
J&J products, what logic is that???

As i said princess is another castle, the whole funding and overhyping
about global warming feels like wrong bearing. Its self-consciousness gone amok.

You have to start digging about the life of people at lower pyramid. Chinese Media
is very strict, they are hollow and dead inside at lower class levels, the class
responsible for most of the infrastructure around China.

Watch this and it will favor you a lot, not just good insight but really well made
Film , won awards

4 stories about the daily frustrations, one story about the Foxcon suicides.

Oh and Foxcon is same company that made ps3, Wii and Ipads.
Which most of you enjoyed , because Global warming is more deadly, Ironic , innit??

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

I also think that most Chinese prefer the current situation compared to the situation that they had several years ago, but that does not mean that things are perfect in China now, not in any way, remain serious and worrying.

And I think overpopulation is also a determining factor .. every year more than 40 million Chinese adhere to the labor market of that country. A few months ago I met someone who was able to visit China and this person told me how people work in Chinese factories, the number of hours they work and the conditions under which they do it is really unfortunate and disturbing, many of them even live in such establishments.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

nomadsoul - 04 August 2014 04:42 PM

Which most of you enjoyed , because Global warming is more deadly, Ironic , innit??

Your logic is that I like apples, so I have to hate oranges. Why can’t I like both? Just because people are discussing global warming in a Global Weather Changes thread does not mean they have no regard to all the other valid issues you bring up. The things you brought up are all major problems with global capitalism that I am strongly against but that doesn’t belittle the danger we are facing as a species in face of global warming. Apples and oranges, both pretty important and both need to be talked about.  You are welcome to start a new thread to discuss those other issues Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top