• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Favorite TV shows

Poll: Most Overhyped
Total Votes: 42
Breaking Bad
Game of Thrones
Walking Dead
Mad Men

Total Posts: 191

Joined 2004-12-30

PM

My Name Is Earl and Reno 911! are the ones I’ve been rewatching the most recently,  though I did quite enjoy going through the entire first two seasons of The Partridge Family as well.

Edited to add: By the way, for those of you who have never visited the US and wonder what we’re really like over here, forget “Sanitized For Your Protection” shows like Friends that only show our good sides and instead watch Reno 911!, My Name Is Earl, and Malcolm In The Middle to get a much more realistic picture of us, warts and all.  Roseanne and Married With Children also hit the proverbial nail on the head occasionally too, but neither of those were as consistently accurate a depiction of everyday US people as the aforementioned three.

Warning- People won’t have as much of a sense of humor about you putting an Alka Seltzer in your mouth then staggering into a restaurant while shouting “THE VIRUS HAS MUTATED!” as you’d hope they would.

Consider this: People say “Ewwww!!!” when they hear about a guy having a hairy bum or hairy back, yet every Teddy Bear ever made has had both a hairy bum AND a hairy back and nobody complains about them; In fact, people think Teddy Bears are adorable.

Total Posts: 2056

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Sage - 17 October 2020 08:09 PM

Edited to add: By the way, for those of you who have never visited the US and wonder what we’re really like over here, forget “Sanitized For Your Protection” shows like Friends that only show our good sides and instead watch Reno 911!, My Name Is Earl, and Malcolm In The Middle to get a much more realistic picture of us, warts and all.

Really enjoyed My Name Is Earl, such a feel-good, relaxing series despite a “non-sanitized” plot and crude jokes (and I lived in the States btw). Justified also probably belongs in the same league, simply loved the series and its Western motifs.

Currently fighting through the 3rd season of Dark (German series on Netflix). Still can’t decide whether I love or hate it Smile I don’t find it all that puzzling or confusing as they say - in fact I started watching it like 3 months ago, 2 or 3 series per week, got distracted in the middle of the 2nd season and returned only in a month or so, and still had no problem recalling every character/event. Probably my adventure gaming practice helps. I love the whole “small town populated by people with skeletons in their closets” concept, really reminds you of Twin Peaks, acting and filming are also top-notch. Yet I get constantly tired of how damn serious the show is, of all those tears, screams and hysterics delivered by every character, and of those artificial monologues about time full of pathos. The show takes itself too seriously for a sci-fi drama.

So I’m also watching Scrubs simultaneously for a comic relief Smile Great fun.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 5804

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I watch lots of stuff & there is so much good stuff to watch.

This is one that stuck out out in my mind:
The Same Sky (2017) is/was a German TV series that I found particularly interesting as it was set during the time when the Berlin Wall existed & involved political stuff - not my scene usually but it was an intriguing tale. 

More recently I’ve just started watching a new series called The Wilds. The inspiration for it seems to be `Lost’ which in my mind had an even worst ending than `Game of Thrones’. At least in this series you do get to have an idea about what’s what ...so far .. sort of… within the 1st series.

I’ve got to about episode 8 & so far it’s very entertaining but…......?
What’s good about this series so far is you learn to a certain extent about the previous lives of the individuals…...
What’s completely bad is that there are no nitty gritty details about how these girls/women survive on a day-to-day basis - so far (maybe it will come) i.e. How are they getting water, what are they eating, how are they keeping clean - there’s one scene of someone washing clothes.
The series so far which is supposedly about survival seems to be focused on the relationship between the women which is very interesting but when you’re stranded on a desert island I need also the ‘physical’ portrayal which is not very well portrayed ... so far. 

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

My favorite TV show is The X Files. Just love watching it. They even did a pretty good adventure game based on it.

I also enjoyed Battlestar Galactica and Firefly. I have no ongoing TV shows.

Overhyped = Gameofthrones

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 5553

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Sophie’s Extraordinary Playlist and This Is Us are two of my current favorites.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

TimovieMan - 15 October 2020 09:52 AM

I’ve watched the Netflix series Ratched, which serves as an origin story of sorts for Nurse Ratched from One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest.

It starts off pretty strong, but completely collapses on itself by going way overboard with all the deaths and insanity going on. Not to mention that it never really feels like the nurse Ratched from the movie, and that Sarah Paulson is actually older than Louise Fletcher was at the time of filming, despite taking place around 15 years earlier. But on the other hand, it wouldn’t have worked with a younger actress, so maybe the entire concept for this was flawed to begin with and could have done without the link to the movie?

I haven’t watched Ratched but it’s done mostly by the same people as American Horror Story, right? I think what you describe fits in many of the AHS seasons too. There is a compelling story there, but they just go so overboard and by the time the season ends the viewer mostly just wants everyone dead anyway… I think the first season was rather good actually, with a satisfying ending. Then I’ve watched seasons 2,3 and 4 and part of 5, and nope. There are some definite highlights like Kathy Bates basically doing anything, but it just doesn’t seem to hold together well.

Then I watched The Haunting of Bly Manor, and that one I really liked. It felt like what AHS should have been. I really dug the 80s stuff in it too, it was more subtle than Stranger Things. Bly Manor is not perfect, but it was pretty damn good still, one of the best series I’ve recently watched, and I did watch quite a lot of series last year… I never watched the other Haunting show as it seemed to be a bit too scary for me (I don’t believe in ghosts but still ghost stories really scare me and bother my sleep).

Other great more recent great shows are BoJack Horseman and Broadchurch at least. These two are just super quality. Watchmen was also very good, better than anticipated. We also just recently watched the mini-series The Pillars of Earth and felt it was what Game of Thrones should have been. Meaning it was great, and GoT not so much.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 8469

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

millenia - 12 February 2021 05:16 PM

I haven’t watched Ratched but it’s done mostly by the same people as American Horror Story, right? I think what you describe fits in many of the AHS seasons too. There is a compelling story there, but they just go so overboard and by the time the season ends the viewer mostly just wants everyone dead anyway… I think the first season was rather good actually, with a satisfying ending. Then I’ve watched seasons 2,3 and 4 and part of 5, and nope. There are some definite highlights like Kathy Bates basically doing anything, but it just doesn’t seem to hold together well.

It’s indeed by those same creators, but I never watched AHS. Seems like they have pitfalls in their writing that they didn’t avoid here either. Smile
Yeah, Kathy Bates is one of those top class actresses that can steal the show just by turning up. Brilliant actress!

Then I watched The Haunting of Bly Manor, and that one I really liked. It felt like what AHS should have been. I really dug the 80s stuff in it too, it was more subtle than Stranger Things. Bly Manor is not perfect, but it was pretty damn good still, one of the best series I’ve recently watched, and I did watch quite a lot of series last year… I never watched the other Haunting show as it seemed to be a bit too scary for me (I don’t believe in ghosts but still ghost stories really scare me and bother my sleep).

That’s from the same makers as the Haunting of Hill House series, no? I’ve yet to watch Bly Manor, but I loved Hill House. Excellent horror series, with an excellent twist at the end of episode 6, and it remained consistently good all the way through the final - which was actually finished and not a cliffhanger for a new season!
It’s not really scary-scary, and they definitely don’t go overboard with the jump-scares. Hill House actually excels at creating an unsettling atmosphere without being in your face about it.
The best part for me? All the statues in the house constantly look like they’re gonna suddenly turn and face you. They never do. But the kicker? They often change position off-screen, like when a character passes a statue of an angel facing left, and a couple of seconds later that same character returns and passes that same statue again, the angel is now facing right. Only noticeable if you’re paying close attention, but even if you don’t notice it, your subconscious *does* pick up on it and makes you uncomfortable. Creepy as hell and VERY effective horror. Smile

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

TimovieMan - 12 February 2021 06:42 PM

That’s from the same makers as the Haunting of Hill House series, no? I’ve yet to watch Bly Manor, but I loved Hill House. Excellent horror series, with an excellent twist at the end of episode 6, and it remained consistently good all the way through the final - which was actually finished and not a cliffhanger for a new season!
It’s not really scary-scary, and they definitely don’t go overboard with the jump-scares. Hill House actually excels at creating an unsettling atmosphere without being in your face about it.

Yeah, it’s the same crew and most of the same actors too just like in AHS seasons. And I’d love to watch it, but I heard that Bly Manor was considered less scary, and it was plenty scary for me already! Maybe I’ll watch it in the summer during nightless nights and make my spouse watch it with me.  Wink

TimovieMan - 12 February 2021 06:42 PM

The best part for me? All the statues in the house constantly look like they’re gonna suddenly turn and face you. They never do. But the kicker? They often change position off-screen, like when a character passes a statue of an angel facing left, and a couple of seconds later that same character returns and passes that same statue again, the angel is now facing right. Only noticeable if you’re paying close attention, but even if you don’t notice it, your subconscious *does* pick up on it and makes you uncomfortable. Creepy as hell and VERY effective horror. Smile

Sounds a bit like the angel statues in Doctor Who. They were much more effective in the introduction episode and did lose a bit of their wonderful mystique when they kept using them and showing them more. Though I admit they still are a great “villain”.

Also, I forgot to mention I really loved Legion. I’m kinda bored with the overuse of super heroes already. Initially I liked them a lot, I’ve even read many comics. But there’s just too much of it now and most of it is very commercial, lazy and easy stuff, pretty boring. Anyway, Legion was different, and I really enjoyed it. The whole approach was very different, and the series just has a great atmosphere and visuals. It felt rather artistic and almost playful with some elements, like Hannibal. I’m thinking about watching it again pretty soon and I rarely rewatch anything, especially not in a short time span.

Jemaine Clement is one of the actors in Legion and that reminds me that we also watched What We Do in the Shadows. Brilliant! Both movie and the series. Funniest stuff in ages. (I’m kinda hard to please when it comes to comedy.)

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2021-03-15

PM

Walking Dead.
Although I am not a fan of reviewing recent seasons, I periodically match the first. I really like the atmosphere and the zombie theme itself.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

basil00 - 16 March 2021 03:14 AM

Walking Dead.
Although I am not a fan of reviewing recent seasons, I periodically match the first. I really like the atmosphere and the zombie theme itself.

Off-topic:

LOL, is that a Vitruvian Gingerbread Man??? Tongue Thumbs Up

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

basil00 - 16 March 2021 03:14 AM

Walking Dead.

I hate zombie stuff but I watched the first episode & was hooked as it’s not about zombies & about survival.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

chrissie - 17 March 2021 01:58 PM

I hate zombie stuff but I watched the first episode & was hooked as it’s not about zombies & about survival.

Zombie stuff rarely is about zombies. Wink

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

pearsonh23 - 19 March 2021 07:45 AM

This is one of the reasons why I like the zombie theme. It’s a pity that one drama began in the series and everything else faded into the background.

I’m curious to know what faded into the background?

pearsonh23 - 19 March 2021 07:45 AM

There was also an interesting film “The Night Eats the World” (2018). I remember there was also an emphasis on survival, but alone in the city.

I’ll look out for the film but my experience of zombie movies is that the emphasis is on the gore factor rather than any meaningful story usually. In TWD the dead are the people who have succumbed to a terrible disease & the focus is on the living to deal with that when those lost people are their relatives & friends. But the lost relatives & friends become a threat so the series is an interesting story of how the living deal with their losses in the circumstances rather than being a gratuitous focus for the most part on the zombies - hopefully that makes sense.    Smile

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I’ll look out for the film but my experience of zombie movies is that the emphasis is on the gore factor rather than any meaningful story usually. In TWD the dead are the people who have succumbed to a terrible disease & the focus is on the living to deal with that when those lost people are their relatives & friends. But the lost relatives & friends become a threat so the series is an interesting story of how the living deal with their losses in the circumstances rather than being a gratuitous focus for the most part on the zombies - hopefully that makes sense.

It does. And I think it applies to the TWD games by TTG as well.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top