• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

skeeter_93walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Favorite TV shows

Poll: Most Overhyped
Total Votes: 42
Breaking Bad
Game of Thrones
Walking Dead
Mad Men

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Your Top 3 Fav shows finished and Ongoing
And name the ones you think are overhyped

Mine,

Finished

1. Shield
2. Wire
3. True Detective

Ongoing

1. Justified
2. Bates Motel
3. House of Cards

Overhyped = Gameofthrones , Bigbang Theory and How i met your mother

Total Posts: 532

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

Wrong on two accounts.  Nerd

First, and you’re actually wrong here: True Detective hasn’t finished. Season 2 is currently in production. It’ll have a whole new set of characters and take place in San Francisco. The case will have something to do with the transportation board.

Second, and you’re not actually wrong there I just disagree with you: Game of Thrones is not overhyped. In fact I was one of the first people to start the hype all those years ago. Game of Thrones is my all time favourite show. There’s not a single tv-series I’m so obsessed with. I have read and own all the books. I own the first three seasons on DVD as well as the three soundtrack CDs. I have a Game of Thrones keychain and the ringtone for my cellphone is the show’s main theme. So if it is overhyped it’s because of people like me.  Tongue

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Anthology like Truedetective, i am willing to treat as individual season runs.

It aint continuation.

Thats why Asylum(American horror story) was also nominated seperatley at times.

The draft is sent by Nic to HBO , waiting to be greenlit.

Mention your top favs and that will do fine.

Arguments will heatup because i know ones favorite will be overhyped stuff for others.

For now i want to see where most preferences are.

Total Posts: 360

Joined 2006-01-12

PM

Finished

Battlestar Galactica
Star Trek Voyager
True Detective (I also conisder it finished since there will be completely new story and characters next season)

Ongoing

Game of Thrones
Sherlock
The Mentalist (silly, but it entertains me)

There’s a lot of overrrated series on TV! Grin

Lazy Bee
Temporary guest in your life.

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

Can’t actually post a full list of favourites yet. I’ve implemented the main themes of two of my favoutire shows in the tv theme quiz I’ve got going on right now. The three I can name are Game of Thrones, the Scandinavian version of The Bridge and Battlestar Galactica.

Total Posts: 360

Joined 2006-01-12

PM

gray pierce - 24 April 2014 12:36 PM

the Scandinavian version of The Bridge

Also an excellent series!

Lazy Bee
Temporary guest in your life.

Total Posts: 8469

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

nomadsoul - 23 April 2014 08:39 PM

Mention your top favs and that will do fine.

Arguments will heatup because i know ones favorite will be overhyped stuff for others.

Without arguments, you’ll just get a bunch of context-less lists, and you’ll get less of an idea about which series that other people like might be worth your while… Wink

Also:

nomadsoul - 23 April 2014 05:41 PM

And name the ones you think are overhyped

Arguments are inevitable with this. Wink

Anyway, there are tons of series that I just know I’ll love, but I just lack the time to actually watch them. As such I have seen far fewer than I would like… (so no The Wire, no Game of Thrones, no Breaking Bad, no Sherlock, etc.)

Favourites (finished):

- Six Feet Under (*1)
- Battlestar Galactica
- Firefly
- Dexter (*2)
- Buiten de Zone (*3)
- Fawlty Towers

Favourites (ongoing):

- The Walking Dead
- Doctor Who (*4)
- Marsman (*5)
- does QI count? Grin

Overyhyped:

- The Pacific (*6)
- Generation Kill (*7)

*1) which had the. Best. Ending. Ever!

*2) especially the first 4 seasons, the first half of season 6 and anything to do with Ray Stevenson’s character in season 7 - let’s pretend season 8 didn’t happen, particularly the last three episodes and especially the last twenty minutes… Shifty Eyed

*3) Belgian comedy series - funniest show EVER!

*4) I’m only halfway through the sixth series (with Matt Smith as The Doctor), and I’ve only been really following it recently, but it’s quickly becoming a favourite.

*5) Belgian miniseries, currently over halfway (5 out of 8 episodes broadcast).

*6) Nowhere near as good as Band of Brothers, no matter what anyone says.

*7) Put me to sleep during the first two episodes, won’t bother with the rest.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

Jelena - 24 April 2014 01:14 PM
gray pierce - 24 April 2014 12:36 PM

the Scandinavian version of The Bridge

Also an excellent series!

Absolutely! Love Saga Noren. Such a wonderful character and a mindblowing performance by Sofia Helin.

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

TimovieMan - 24 April 2014 02:13 PM

Generation Kill
*7) Put me to sleep during the first two episodes, won’t bother with the rest.

I generally don’t like war movies or shows almost at all, but there was something about it that just had me watching every episode. It’s also certainly one of if not the most realistic depictions of war (including the general lack of fighting and all). No Hollywood, you know. I thought it was just fantastic.

Total Posts: 8469

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

UPtimist - 24 April 2014 03:23 PM

It’s also certainly one of if not the most realistic depictions of war (including the general lack of fighting and all).

That’s the thing, I knew about the lack of fighting so I expected something like the movie Jarhead, yet it seemed to lack something that the movie had.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Heh, well, I don’t know, I can’t explain it. I did wonder back then as to what it was that was so appealing about the show. *shrug* Maybe it was the personal experiences and identification (not war, of course (aside from pretended make-belief war), but army (which is semi-mandatory here))

Total Posts: 191

Joined 2004-12-30

PM

Finished:
1. My Name Is Earl
2. League of Gentlemen
3. (Burt Sugarman’s) The Midnight Special

Ongoing:
1. The Big Bang Theory
2. Shameless (US version)
3. The Walking Dead

Over-hyped:
“Reality” shows as a group, especially
1. The Real Housewives of _______ (there are several different locations)
2. The Bachelor/Bachelorette
3. Survivor

Warning- People won’t have as much of a sense of humor about you putting an Alka Seltzer in your mouth then staggering into a restaurant while shouting “THE VIRUS HAS MUTATED!” as you’d hope they would.

Consider this: People say “Ewwww!!!” when they hear about a guy having a hairy bum or hairy back, yet every Teddy Bear ever made has had both a hairy bum AND a hairy back and nobody complains about them; In fact, people think Teddy Bears are adorable.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Added Poll.

I loved Bridge US version, found original series cast and location unattractive.
Will give another try.

Total Posts: 89

Joined 2005-12-19

PM

Finished:

1.) Arrested Development
2.) The Wire
3.) Black Books
Bonus: Twin Peaks, the first season

Ongoing:

1.) Louie
2.) Hell on Wheels
3.) Always Sunny
Bonus: Mr Selfridge

Overhyped: I don’t really care.

I’m yet to finish True Detective (I think I’ll just binge-watch the whole thing from the beginning as soon as I have the time), but what I’ve seen was excellent. Also, I remember liking Generation Kill very much, but I’ll need to watch it again to say anything substantial about it.

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

My top5 favourite shows: (not my top5 best shows)

1. Game of Thrones (mature fantasy, what’s not to love?)
2. Monster (most engrossing thrillerseries I’ve watched. Especially the final 30 episodes or so is edge of your seat suspense)
3. Bron/Broen - The Bridge (my favourite crime drama, I love Saga so much)
4. Äkta Människor - Real Humans (best sci fi show thus far hands down)
5. Battlestar Galactica (second best sci fi show thus far, especialy the later seasons were awesome)

Overhyped:
1. Breaking Bad (good but not great, it lacks the depth most HBO shows do have)
2. Sherlock (fun but not great and the third season was ruined by far too much fanservice)
3. Firefly (slightly above average at best, also it lacks depth)

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Usually drama shows don’t appeal to me - often at all. Like, all the ones in the poll, I don’t care for any of them.

I don’t remember what I’d consider on the top (well, I do remember comedy shows - sitcoms and sketch shows - but I think they are to be considered on such different terms that I’m not thinking about them). But, of course, there is the obvious selection that takes the #1 spot: Twin Peaks. Sure it was extremely uneven in the second season (and somewhat uneven on the first), but there’s none like it. And almost certainly never will be.

Other than that… I’ll have to think about it.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top