• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04diegokanaifuVeoviswalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Three songs, in the moment

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

I’ve been thinking about this for a while and finally decided to do it.

Post three songs that you have on your mind. Maybe because they are your favourite songs, or they’re important to you at this moment in time, or because you like the music videos! Three at a time, but post a many as you like, as long as you give other people some room to join in.

I’ve browsed for other music threads and I’ve been going through Timovieman’s incredible list. Even though I really like it, it is a bit overwhelming! Which is why I decided to create another thread. Gave it a bit of a format. I hope it works.

Elephant Gym - Moonset Elephant Gym is one of my favourite bands in the world. Math Rock, pretty easy going.

Camera Silens - Réalité Camera Silens was a punk band from Bordeaux. Often pegged as Oi! but they played reggae as well, particularly in the latter half of the 80s. They have a post-punk element as well.

Hermit and the Recluse - Sirens My favourite artist (in hiphop and in general), Ka is an amazing writer.

Total Posts: 8469

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Here’s the three songs that’ll always play in succession if I let YouTube Music run its course. The first and third one I get, because I often looked them up over the past years, the middle one just gets thrown in there every time for some reason (but I like it, so meh).
YouTube Music works in a funny way.

The Dead South - In Hell I’ll Be in Good Company

Got suggested to me a couple of years ago, after I was praising the “Man of Constant Sorrow” bluegrass song from the movie “Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?”. Love it to bits.

Dropkick Murphys - Rose Tattoo

Like I said, I mainly know this because YouTube seems to play it immediately after The Dead South, no matter what I do. But folk rock is up my alley, so the song is approved, and I let YouTube play it.

Audioslave - Be Yourself

Always plays right after “Rose Tattoo” for some reason. I loved Audioslave’s debut album when it came out (especially “Show Me How to Live”), but never really tracked them after that. When Chris Cornell died, I dug into his music some more and discovered this gem. Brilliant song!

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

The Soggy Bottom Boys. Grin

I like! And I know someone who’ll probably appreciate the first song a lot, I’m sharing that for sure.

That Dropkick Murphys song reminds me of Flogging Molly. Thumbs Up

And Chris Cornell has an amazing voice.

Total Posts: 8469

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Vegetable Party - 27 April 2021 04:29 AM

Camera Silens - Réalité Camera Silens was a punk band from Bordeaux. Often pegged as Oi! but they played reggae as well, particularly in the latter half of the 80s. They have a post-punk element as well.

This is a pleasant surprise. Didn’t know these guys. Added the song to my list (for consideration in a top 2000 I’m compiling).

So how does someone from the Netherlands find out about an obscure French group from the ‘80s?

Vegetable Party - 27 April 2021 08:54 AM

The Soggy Bottom Boys. Grin

Yep. Grin

I like! And I know someone who’ll probably appreciate the first song a lot, I’m sharing that for sure.

Spread the love! Smile

That Dropkick Murphys song reminds me of Flogging Molly. Thumbs Up

I have been known to mix both of them up. Doesn’t help that they often tour together.
At least the Pogues are more easily recognizable with Shane MacGowan’s distinctive raspy slurring.

And Chris Cornell has an amazing voice.

One of the greatest rock voices of all time, imo…  Heart Eyes

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

TimovieMan - 27 April 2021 09:53 AM

So how does someone from the Netherlands find out about an obscure French group from the ‘80s?

I love making mixtapes, I’m always interested in other people’s interests and preferences (in music, games, movies, etc) and I have a soft spot for 80s punk/hardcore! I believe I discovered this band through a compilation of French punk music.

I really enjoyed “Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?” as well, you get to laugh and hear some great music while you’re at it.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

I’ve been borderline obsessed with Jacob Collier for a while now. Unfathomably talented and overflowing with creativity. I honestly think that he has the greatest knowledge of and skill with musical harmony of anyone living.

The three songs that come to mind straightaway are:

He won’t hold you

All I need

Hideaway

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Speaking of 80s hardcore, hello Intense Degree! Wink

Great pants, amazing songs. I particularly like “All I Need”, though I feel the other songs are going to grow on me.

I think I’m putting all (six) of your suggestions in a playlist, these are jams.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Aside from Elephant Gym in Veg Party’s post, I’m sensing a shortage of female presence, so to rectify, I’m going to post a couple of my favorite currently active women singers/songwriter/musicians.

Emilia Amper - Spelpuma

Just love the nyckelharpa and her compositions. A lot of fun.

Julia Holter - Words I Heard

Just a brilliant, evocative artist. Originality is rare but she’s one of few with it.

Joanna Newsom - Cosmia

This woman is probably my favorite musician alive today. Every new thing she puts out is an event for me.

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Thanks for that, Luhr!

A nyckelharpa? The more you know.. I’ve given all the songs a quick listen, all cool, I particularly like the last one! Going to give them a spin later and really sit down to listen.

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

That’s a surprise! Everyone I’ve played her for has disliked her, ranging from annoyance to outright hatred. I always put it down to the musically talented young female prodigy syndrome, whom people resent somehow.

Great thread by the way, and thanks everyone else for posting!

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

I’ve been listening to first song while cleaning the living room, it’s so joyful. I really enjoy the other two songs as well. Thanks for joining in!

Here’s a song I used to listen to during my lunch breaks. It helps me connect with myself. I stopped listening to it, because I feared stress would ruin the experience for me (and because I often don’t have the time anymore). It’s still special to me.

Christina Vantzou - Adversary

I love this so much:

John Coltrane - My favorite things (with McCoy Tyner – Steve Davis and Elvin Jones)

This song gets me dancing, every time:

Protoje & Koffee - Switch It Up

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Christina Vantzou? That’s a familiar name. I think I had one of her albums years ago and loved it.

Total Posts: 834

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

This is what I’ve been listening to very recently.

Judas Priest - Painkiller
A cool track off the album -

Immolation - Majesty & Decay - The Purge

And some female and Dutch representation for Vegetable Party…
The Gathering - Mandylion - Strange Machines

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Welcome Baron! Smile

Bringing out the riffs! Thumbs Up  I can seeTimovieMan rocking out to these jams as well.

Baron_Blubba - 02 May 2021 12:43 PM

And some female and Dutch representation for Vegetable Party…

Haha, it’s appreciated! I went to Pinkpop once. Not this edition, unfortunately. Would’ve been really cool to see a live performance by The Gathering.

Total Posts: 834

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Yeah, I would still love to see The Gathering live, but man, seeing them with Anneke in the Mandylion and How To Measure A Planet? era would have been sublime. Are they a genuinely ‘big’ band in their native land, or more ‘big for an underground band’, kind of like Opeth has become?

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Wow, didn’t expect to see Immolation and Opeth mentioned here! Staples of my (slightly) younger days.

The Gathering were really big when I was growing up and I’m not sure why but I never got into them at all. The song above rocks.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top