• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Recommended TV serials

Total Posts: 177

Joined 2003-11-15

PM

I’m currently working my way through Star Trek Voyager on Netflix. I find it better than I expected it to. I watched a few episodes here and there when it first aired, but that was a long time ago. It absolutely has the best theme music of all Star Trek. (I’ve gone through TNG, DS9 and Discovery and enjoyed them all, in different ways.)

I can add my voice to the praise of Babylon 5. It’s great. I even bought the DVD sets of the entire series. Haven’t seen the movies, though. Are they worth tracking down?

I’ll say that the first season of Jessica Jones is among the best that’s come from Marvel. Of maybe super hero stuff was just still fresh at the time. David Tennant was awesome in it though.

Speaking of Tennant, I’m a bit sad that Netflix one have Doctor Who starting with Matt Smith. (And as of yet no Jodie Whittaker either.) So I haven’t seen much of his doctor. Bowties are cool, though. Smile

The Beforeigners on HBO has an unusual premise. I really liked it.

His Dark Materials also turned into a favourite - I hope they’ll release series two soon. (I haven’t read the books. Probably should do that too.)

The Good Omens adaptation (based on the Pratchett/Gaiman book) is excellent. I try to avoid Amazon, but went for an Amazon Prime trial to watch it last summer, and it was absolutely worth it!

What else have seen recently? (Checks Netflix history.) Oh, yes. The Indian Detective is another miniseries that I really liked.

And speaking of detective series, The no 1 Ladies Detective Agency is another one that’s in my DVD collection. A massive feel good injection, that one.

Anne with an E is good if you like that kind of series. (I haven’t seen much of the second series - I watched it together with my mum, who dies a year ago… )

The Good Place exceeded my expectations. It’s both funny and clever.

I have also seen a lot of the Arrowverse series. I get bored by the darkness after a while, so I’m taking a break from them.

The Worst Witch is nothing special, but a lot of fun. Was a very good change of pace after Arrow.

Sempre Bruja (did I spell that right?) was also well worth watching.

I may have been watching too much tv-series, despite no longer owning a tv.

You can play my game Frasse and the Peas of Kejick for free! (AG review here.)

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

Trumgottist - 12 April 2020 04:08 PM

I can add my voice to the praise of Babylon 5. It’s great. I even bought the DVD sets of the entire series. Haven’t seen the movies, though. Are they worth tracking down?

Not really, in my opinion. I thought A Call To Arms was worth watching, but the others aren’t much to write home about. I never bother with them when doing a rewatch of the series.

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Currently watching 12 monkeys the TV-show. Highly recommended.

Was drawn to it because of the time travel element and high praise it his gotten. According to critics every subsequent season(there are 4) gets better and the show ends with one of the best TV show endings, according to critics that is. Also it was planned from the beginning to tell its story over the course of 4 seasons, so you can tell its carefully plotted and things get set up early on. Its strange because this series has gone under the radar for most somehow.

I am into the second season now and it has truly become great. Great story and fast-paced i.e. no unnecessary padding(if it were any other show they would have taken 4 seasons prolly just to tell 1 season of this shows story). First season might turn you off early on because they ran on a tight budget, but stick with it and you will realize how well crafted the story is and a lot of things start to pay off. Season 2 so far seems to be bigger, better, bolder.

Also to the user Henke; Going by your list you seem to be into mystery shows, check out Jonathan Creek. Its focus is impossible/locked room murder mysteries.
Also, the Lupin series you mentioned was indeed great. Also enjoyed the one that takes place in San Marino.

Total Posts: 2056

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Watched recently:

Utopia (2013-2014), British series about an epidemic conspiracy started by a global pro-government secret service that wants to get rid of human population by declaring a deadly virus and advertising a vaccination campaign that leads to depopulation… Not only it’s a beautiful, spot-on illusration of COVID-2019 (the series was closed after the 2nd season, then remade as a dull American Netflix series, then closed again when COVID stroke) - it is simply a brilliantly shot movie, just watch some clips to get the feeling.

The Bridge (2011-2018) - the Danish/Swedish crime series about a Swedish police inspector with Asperger’s syndrome who follows her agenda and a Danish elderly detective who have to solve crimes together. Very good story and characters, very believable cases, would’ve made a perfect adventure game. They got rid of the Danish detective after the 2nd season, but it’s still worth watching though. The numerous foreign remakes that followed were meh…

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Would you say it’s a spot-on depiction of the conspiracy theory or of the reality of the COVID epidemic?

One show I’d like to recommend: “Tales From the Tour Bus”. It’s a Mike Judge production about a lot of funk, a bit of jazz and stable of country musicians.

It’s an animated music documentary, with all kinds of characters, some experts, some musicians, telling tales, reminiscing. A lot of beautiful embellishment, but some more modest and moving stories as well. Occasionally concerning, but informative as well.

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Vegetable Party - 01 September 2021 08:21 AM

Would you say it’s a spot-on depiction of the conspiracy theory or of the reality of the COVID epidemic?

Both. The plot itself is pretty ridiculous and intentionally exaggerated, with every conspiracy cliche or big news story turned inside out (like this most powerful organisation behind everything which lacks personnel so badly they have to recruit people basically from street), with bloody murderers coming out as idealists who work in the interests of science and humanity, while the group of young people they are after are turned into murderers themselves by the media (“gone crazy and shot his classmates and teachers”). There are many bloody scenes, but combined with black humour and very bright colors used in this film they look like illustrations from graphical novels (and a graphical novel is what moves the plot in fact). It is never too believable, the 2nd season in particular, but with the COVID reality that followed 6 years later - and which is also full of lies from “people you should trust”, media brainwashing, government decisions that violate basic human rights, unprecedented vaccination experiment conducted on people, etc. - it makes Utopia surprisingly relatable.

Total Posts: 5804

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Utopia sound interesting but the fact that it’s too relatable to current events means that it’s not something I want to watch currently!

I thought The Bridge was very good & the portrayal of someone with Asperger’s syndrome, never mentioned at all in any of the episodes, was brilliantly portrayed by Sofia Helin & not so well done by the actress playing the equivalent part in the UK version The Tunnel. I thought the UK version was too much of a disappointing replication of the first Swedish series but it did go on to get better with alternative stories in subsequent series. 

I don’t mind watching a ‘not-my-language’ film/series with subtitles but I know a lot of people who do so I can understand why some very good film/series are re-made for an alternative language-speaking audiences e.g. English (rather than using the horrendous practise of dubbing) but I’ve never understood why one English speaking nation remakes a very good (current) series/film that’s already in English?

I’ve recently just finished watching the 3 seasons of the Canadian detective drama Cardinal. The characters & stories are very engaging so well worth watching if you like investigative drama & I found some of the stories unusual & shocking.
Before that I watched an excellent Bulgarian murder mystery serial called
The Devil’s Throat. which included lots of twists & turns - my favourite kind of mystery!    Smile

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

We watched Utopia season 1 when it was quite fresh and it was definitely great. Season 2 wasn’t out then yet, and when it did come out, we just didn’t manage to watch it. I wonder if it’s available in here anywhere now. Would need to rewatch the first season obviously.

I started watching Only Murders in the Building now and I’ve liked it, surprisingly much really. I don’t think it’s groundbreaking or the best series ever, but it’s just… cozy and fun. I like to watch it. Steve Martin and Martin Short are fun - I really like to see these aging stars.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I always like to watch anything with Steve Martin in!  Smile

I’ve been watching Nine Perfect Strangers on Amazon which started off to be quite intriguing with Nicole Kidman playing a woman with quite a creepy ambience.

There’s 8 episodes. I started to get bored from ep 5 but persisted to get to the conclusion? My `uncouth’ response to the ending (that I found very unsatisfactory) is what a pile of self- indulgent *****!
Maybe I’m wrong but obviously the point of it just didn’t gel for me - did I miss something?  Smile

Total Posts: 360

Joined 2006-01-12

PM

I just started watching Foundation. Not yet sure if I like it or not But it’s sort of promising. Smile

Lazy Bee
Temporary guest in your life.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Jelena - 15 October 2021 12:57 PM

I just started watching Foundation. Not yet sure if I like it or not But it’s sort of promising. Smile

I’m very curious about this series. Loved the original trilogy.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’m currently watching a UK series on BBC called Conversations with Friends which focuses on a young woman’s crush on the husband when she meets an older couple. It’s an interesting story but there just doesn’t seem to be any passion or rapport between ANY of the characters or maybe it’s just my perception that none of the actors like each other?

EDIT:....it’s got slightly better..

Total Posts: 510

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Adv_Lvr - 14 March 2022 12:01 PM
Jelena - 15 October 2021 12:57 PM

I’m very curious about this series. Loved the original trilogy.

Heart

Let us know if you ever get around to watching it. I was also curious until I found out it was nothing like the books, which doesn’t mean it can’t be good I suppose. The books were fantastic though, and set a very high standard.

AKA Charo

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Watched a couple of very recommendable, but not very well-known series while waiting for the final episodes of Better Call Saul. The first and best is the Australian sitcom Rake with quite a similar premise (albeit it came out 5 years earlier in 2010): Cleaver Greene played by the awesome Richard Roxburgh is a barrister who defends all sort of criminals denied by other lawyers. The number of tricks up his sleeve is pretty incredible. At the same time, he leads a reckless life: drinks to death, takes drugs, chaotically sleeps with women, avoids paying taxes and spends all his money playing cards with bandits who regularly beat him for not paying. And yet he is a very likable guy who cares for people, his clients, his ex-wife and their son, his ex-prostitute turned a world-famous author and his sometimes ex-best friend and co-worker.

It starts a bit slow as a court drama (comedy), but the focus quickly shifts to Cleaver’s crazy life and his confrontation with powerful enemies, from mafia bosses to corrupted officials to prime ministers and basically the whole world around him. There’s black humour, some hard drama, and it generally feels different from US or UK sitcoms, probably why the American remake lived only for one season (I don’t intend to watch it). The original series lasted for 5 seasons, the cast is incredible, including some of the top guest stars. Although the 5th (and shortest) season got mixed reviews as Greene became a senator and the story moved from court to Australian (and some American) politics, several leading actors left, while other characters became too silly. My personal favourite is the 3rd season where the level of insanity is unmatched.

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

And then there’s Almost Human which also lasted for only one season. Basically it’s a buddy cop action-thriller-comedy that takes place in the future and tries really hard to be a new Blade Runner, it’s influence is all over the place and it often delivers. Coincidentally, the news of the BR game remaster broke just when I was watching it) Karl Urban is great as a cool, but unsociable detective John Kennex who hates progress and androids in particular since all cops are given an android partner, both functional and irritating (one of the running gags is that most of them are played by one actor with a distinctive straight face and they are getting killed in each episode in various brutal ways). Kennex is then given an older model instead (played by Michael Ealy) who turns to be less of a robot and more of a human being and eventually becomes Kennex’s best friend.

The production is solid, special effects and fights are very well done, and that was one of the reasons it got cancelled so early as producers felt it was too expensive. Another stupid decision was to change the order of episodes for display: only episodes 1 and 11-13 aired in the right order, the rest is a mess. And while each episode features its own story, this hurt the progressing relationship between the protagonists, upsetting J. H. Wyman, the series creator. I read about it beforehand and watched the episodes in the right order. Story-wise it’s still a bit messy: several episodes were clear rip-offs of famous movies (Terminator 3, Die Hard, Saw), some felt like your usual procedurals with unnecessary sci-fi elements. But for only 13 episodes the variety of themes is impressive, each introduced something new to this universe, be it AI, clones, drugs and illegal meds, gizmos and other cyberpunk stuff.

The general quality of writing is good, the series is tense, dynamic and often funny, Urban and Ealy have good chemistry, while Mackenzie Crook as a mad genius makes every scene with him hilarious. In fact all actors fit the ensemble perfectly. Except for one: MINKA KELLY who plays a crime analyst and Kennex’s love interest, and who almost ruined the series for me. She couldn’t act even her life depended on it, all her scenes are cringeworthy, every line she delivers with a stupid smile, without the slightest idea what most of her text means - and yet she supposed to play a super-intelligent genetically engineered woman as everyone keeps repeating! At least she spends most of her screen time sitting in the office, but why, why her… Anyway, it’s still a nice Blade Runner-ish series easy to watch and recommend.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top