• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Wormsie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Recent movies seen

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Resident Evil: Vendetta

There are some ridiculous over the top moments but otherwise best RE film out there
Great pacing, fan service , animation, rendering and above all justice to my fav Bae of RE world, Rebecca chambers, i want her back in games too

4.5/5

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

RAKKA

Starring Ripley , online free

Niel VFX quality is rad

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’m stretching the limits of “recent” a bit but I watched the 2014 Robocop remake yesterday.

Actually, I watched the 1987 original first, immediately followed by the remake, planning to tear the remake a new one like I did with the Total Recall remake.

But, well… it’s actually not that bad.

It lacks the 80s cheese, silly satire and black humour (often in the form of bloody overkill) of the original, but it’s a good modernisation with its own political commentary, competent direction and decent acting performances (Sam Jackson and Michael Keaton stand out). And it’s not going overboard with references to the original, instead opting to be its own film. I can appreciate that.
Surprisingly solid movie, if you ask me…

Robocop (2014) - 3/5 (compared to 3.5 for the original)

On the other hand, I’m still glad Belgian actor Matthias Schoenaerts passed up the lead role for more acclaimed roles…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

The Mummy - 2.5/5

Semi-decent film that would’ve been a lot better if they didn’t take themselves so seriously all the time. Russell Crowe seems to be the only one that actually relishes the inherent B-movie qualities and as such is the most enjoyable actor in the film.
A bit more comedy and cheese would’ve been better. At least the 1999 film got that part correct.

Wonder Woman - 3/5

Finally a non-Nolan DC film that’s actually halfway decent. Gal Gadot looks the part more than I figured she would (but she’s still no Lucy Lawless, though). The music in the film is also pretty good (especially the epic parts like when they’re running through the no-man’s land between trenches).
While most effects are good, some of them fail miserably, and parts of the story are rather predictable even if your knowledge of Wonder Woman is minimal (I totally nailed the identity of Ares as soon as the actor entered the picture, and the mere mention of a Godkiller is enough to know what it is). Doesn’t deter from the fact that this is a more than enjoyable superhero movie, and one I feel should have come before the Batman V Superman film, if only to explain the powers of Wonder Woman…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

TimovieMan - 07 July 2017 07:38 AM

but she’s still no Lucy Lawless, though

QFT

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Spidey Homecoming

It was that better than other Comic films
Vulture was rad af in set pieces
Better comic film than almost all of the stuff recently

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

War for the Planet of the Apes - 4/5

Fantastic conclusion to a great trilogy! Rise was surprisingly good. Dawn was vastly different in style and tone but managed to be just as good as the first. War blows both out of the water - it’s by far the best of the three.
Great music (again) by Giacchino! And brilliant performances by a very menacing Woody Harrelson, by Steve Zahn (who, as ‘Bad Ape’, may have given his best performance ever) and once again by the genius Andy Serkis.

I understand that the Academy doesn’t want to give acting awards to motion captured performances. While the actors give us the heart and soul of the performance, the effects team can change what they want based on the whim of the director. Even if most of the performance is kept intact, it’s still been changed enough for it not to be solely the actor’s work but a joint effort with the effects team. Having said that, Andy Serkis’ work over the past fifteen years has been so revolutionary that he deserves far more acknowledgment than he’s received up to now. The man is simply an amazing actor (just look at his non-CGI role as Ian Dury in Sex & Drugs & Rock’n'Roll) and he should get more recognition in the award season. In short: give the man an honorary Oscar!

Spider-Man: Homecoming - 3.5/5

Great superhero movie and arguably the best Spider-Man film of the six we’ve gotten. It’s at least on par with the first Maguire film, but with a far better Peter Parker role. Superb casting choice with Tom Holland, and I’m glad it’s not yet another (same) origin story.
I’ve always liked Michael Keaton and am ecstatic that he’s gotten his career back on track. His performance as the Vulture here gives us one of the best and well-rounded superhero villains ever. Great stuff!
Too bad the action direction and editing in the big finale leaves a lot to be desired. The sudden drop in quality in those couple of minutes almost makes me think they ran out of time before the release deadline or something. It’s a little jarring compared to the rest.
It’s forgiven, though, especially because of the post-credits stinger.
Regarding that stinger: well played, Marvel, well played!
That stinger is totally something I’d expect in a Deadpool film, but it caught me by surprise here. Congrats, Marvel, you successfully trolled me with Captain America ! Thumbs Up

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Thief (Remastered)

Never knew Heist theme and Tangerine dream both inspired GTAV
TD delivered solid music and cinematography was surreal
Classic stuff

4/5

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Late last night I got caught up in watching a movie on the Sy-Fy channel, Source Code starring Jake Gyllenhal.  I missed it when it first came out in 2011 but found it suspenseful and well-acted.  The action sequences and special effects were well done.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Lady Kestrel - 19 July 2017 03:35 PM

Late last night I got caught up in watching a movie on the Sy-Fy channel, Source Code starring Jake Gyllenhal.  I missed it when it first came out in 2011 but found it suspenseful and well-acted.  The action sequences and special effects were well done.

It’s a fun movie, watch Moon if you haven’t, by the same director.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

wilco - 19 July 2017 05:44 PM

It’s a fun movie, watch Moon if you haven’t, by the same director.

I’ll +1 this.

Just be prepared to have Clint Mansell’s two-note piano soundtrack stuck in your head for a while… Cool

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Thanks for that recommendation.  It sounds familiar, but I know I’ve never seen it.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Dunkirk - IMAX

Nolan’s new movie is a fantastic tour-de-force, with very little dialogue, it is verging on a silent movie. Rather than tell a story via the characters it just immerses you in the georgous visuals and a haunting Hans Zimmer score. It switches between three pov’s and subtly plays with the timeline to show the effort from land, sea and air to get those soldiers off the beach and back to Blighty.

Brilliant.

5/5

War for the Planet of the Apes

If you are looking for a War movie then this is more Apocalypse Now than Saving Private Ryan.

If it wasn’t obvious while watching it, it actually spells it out on a wall at one point.

This is certainly an apes movie told from their pov. Ceaser and his band are the focal point of the movie and the humans take a backseat. Just as well the tech is up to the task. The animation and motion capture are stunning with you rarely questioning the characters on screen. Woody Harrelson plays an effective bad guy and just this side of mad.

Overall a great film and probably the best of the three. I might have given it 5 but for it’s overtly convient ending to the battle which was pretty LOL.

4/5

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Watched Spiderman today. I thought it was a great movie, and much better than the Amazing Spiderman series. I liked the new kid as Spiderman, but the star of the movie for me was Michael Keaton. He killed it as The Vulture.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I went to see Valerian this afternoon and really enjoyed it.  It had elements of Star Wars, Babylon 5, and The Martian Chronicles all rolled together with neat aliens and lots of action. It was a fun way to spend a couple of hours on a rainy afternoon.

Carpe chocolate.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top